Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Heroes of Might and Magic: Olden Era - Ubisoft returns to Enroth - coming to Early Access in Q2 2025

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
>Enroth

Boy I didn't hear that name in ages

I miss HoMM lore :negative:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
The old buildings looked more grounded and based on real architecture. Also way clearer. New ones almost look AI designed and the buildings meld into each other due to all the small elements.
Also any subtelty goes out of the window in the new ones. Necropolis? Let's add a giant grim reaper on top of the castle! People might be confused!

I agree the old 2D towns are unsurpassed :obviously:

NwNgger

Educated
Not looking awful isn't impressive when that's the nicest thing you can say about it.

m_s0

Arcane
Olden Era's nonlinear story campaign will let players choose from six new and returning factions, each with their own heroes, creatures, aesthetics, and playstyles: the knightly Temple; the Sylvan fey folk and forces of nature; the dark elves and subterranean dwellers of Dungeon; the vampires and undead of Necropolis; the demon-corrupted insectoids of Hive; and another faction that will be unveiled later.
Sylvan elves and dark elves are part of the generic Ubisoft shit lore. This is not original NWC lore, it's garbage. Those town screens look soulless.
I'm of... not 2, maybe 1.2 minds on this. In theory, I like ditching Ashan for Enroth, but in terms of the art style this looks to me like 5 in 2D, and that's just pissing all over the look of the old NWC setting which I'm not fond of. If this is intended as a throwback the art is a huge turn-off for me. Let's see the gameplay. Can't be worse than the art...

...can it?

Sinder Velvin

Arcane
Phew, they're finally getting rid of the post-HOMM 3 worlds no one ever cared about.

The worldbuilding for Enroth never made much sense, and there were so many inconsistencies between HOMM 1-3 and M&M 6-8 that each game may as well have taken place in an entirely different setting that only shared a few characters and place names. Simultaneously, though, Enroth was always memorable and full of interesting places and creatures that created a sense of wonder in me.

QWrzopn.jpeg

Meanwhile, Ubisoft's Ashan replacement for it was painfully generic, forgettable and fake-feeling, the kind of fantasy world you'd come up with to demonstrate to people how to not do a fantasy world:

B4vqEww.png

So, for the first time since I was a kid, this is like a real new game in the series for me, and I'll give it a chance even though I dislike the art style. (At least it depicts actual HOMM things.)

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Is HOMM3 the best? I liked it but moved on to the AOW series which I liked more.

More or less people sentiment are 3 being the best of overall series. There are people who really like 2 too and consider 3 a decline. 4 in general is considered an experimental game, some people like it, some people really hate it. 5 is like a 3 for modern era, quality wise can be considered below 3 but is a good game on its own. 6 is terrible. 7 might have potential to be decent but is an aborted fetus that Ubisoft killed before the dev can finish developing

scytheavatar

Scholar
Is HOMM3 the best? I liked it but moved on to the AOW series which I liked more.

More or less people sentiment are 3 being the best of overall series. There are people who really like 2 too and consider 3 a decline. 4 in general is considered an experimental game, some people like it, some people really hate it. 5 is like a 3 for modern era, quality wise can be considered below 3 but is a good game on its own. 6 is terrible. 7 might have potential to be decent but is an aborted fetus that Ubisoft killed before the dev can finish developing

When you think of it, there's a surprisingly parallel of HoM&M progression to that of D&D.

HoM&M 2 = Ad&D 1 and 2
HoM&M 3 = D&D 3e
HoM&M 4 = D&D 4e
HoM&M 5 = D&D 5e

Which means WOTC is fucked when they make 6e and 7e.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
eTutPZj.png

The old buildings looked more grounded and based on real architecture. Also way clearer. New ones almost look AI designed and the buildings meld into each other due to all the small elements.
Also any subtelty goes out of the window in the new ones. Necropolis? Let's add a giant grim reaper on top of the castle! People might be confused!
You're not even using the pretty version of HoMM3 lol, you're using the remaster. And it still looks better.

Black

Arcane
HoM&M 4 = D&D 4e
That's not fair to HoMM 4.

People really, really hated HoM&M 4 on release. Nowadays it is seen in a more positive light, the exact same thing could be said about 4e. There are people who say 4e isn't as bad as what the old school people claim.
I got 4 on release. It wasn't as good as 3 (not even close) but I didn't hate it, it had a lot of good ideas that I had wished 3 also had.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Aesthetically it looks like a mix of the new Ubisoft HoMM-titles, WoW and sometimes a refreshing nod to the past. But I don't understand why it's so difficult to make a visually pleasing game in the year 2024.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Olden Era's nonlinear story campaign will let players choose from six new and returning factions, each with their own heroes, creatures, aesthetics, and playstyles: the knightly Temple; the Sylvan fey folk and forces of nature; the dark elves and subterranean dwellers of Dungeon; the vampires and undead of Necropolis; the demon-corrupted insectoids of Hive; and another faction that will be unveiled later.
Sylvan elves and dark elves are part of the generic Ubisoft shit lore. This is not original NWC lore, it's garbage. Those town screens look soulless.
You know nothing of MM8 and Jadame.

Reinhardt

Arcane
HoM&M 4 = D&D 4e
That's not fair to HoMM 4.

People really, really hated HoM&M 4 on release. Nowadays it is seen in a more positive light, the exact same thing could be said about 4e. There are people who say 4e isn't as bad as what the old school people claim.
I got 4 on release. It wasn't as good as 3 (not even close) but I didn't hate it, it had a lot of good ideas that I had wished 3 also had.
i got homm 4 and disciples 2 pretty much at same time and disciples 2 is clearly superior game, but i didn't hated homm 4 either.

Tarkleigh

Learned
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Not sure what to think. A new Heroes 3-style game would be huge but the graphics looks very cheap and the last years also have not been great for this series. I guess time will tell but I am not getting my hopes up.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
It looks exactly like all the other fake-M&M Ubishit, and Ubishit is also a shitty fucking company that deserves to finally go belly up. All of you are deluded to think this will be any good. Must you really be reminded of the trainwrecks that were HOMM 6 and 7? Yeah I'm sure this time it's going to be supercool because MUH HEXES and MUH ENROTH. Nevermind it looks like fucking WoW.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
eh this seems to be a relatively low budget project not aimed to be AAA and getting gazzilion of sales

I am rather optimistic. The fact that they went back for Enroth instead of Ubisoft forcing their Ashan or whatever spider cult world is already a good thing

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I hate Ashan, personally. I'm glad they went back to the roots with Enroth and Jadame. Can't wait to play it.
:d1p:

DoWhocares

Novice
Am I the only one who thinks it looks EXACTLY like Songs of Conquest? When the supposed original starts ripping of the visual style of a ripoff (not that SoQ doesn't have its merits) that's when you know it's all ogre.

The annoying part is I'll probably still give it a shot. Man's not a learning animal.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom