Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Heroes of Might and Magic: Olden Era - Ubisoft returns to Enroth - coming to Early Access in Q2 2025

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
All I'm saying is that if ubi really wanted to stimulate russian economy, the could've buy out and sponsor Succession Wars.

Aemar

Arcane
Olden Era's nonlinear story campaign will let players choose from six new and returning factions, each with their own heroes, creatures, aesthetics, and playstyles: the knightly Temple; the Sylvan fey folk and forces of nature; the dark elves and subterranean dwellers of Dungeon; the vampires and undead of Necropolis; the demon-corrupted insectoids of Hive; and another faction that will be unveiled later.
Sylvan elves and dark elves are part of the generic Ubisoft shit lore. This is not original NWC lore, it's garbage. Those town screens look soulless.
You know nothing of MM8 and Jadame.
The dark elves from MM8 are different from Ubisoft's generic trash counterparts. They don't resemble the Warcraft dark elves, they're more akin to the D&D iterations. The Sylvan faction is Warcraft garbage as well.

Looks can be deceiving and no one will be able to draw conclusions on the final quality of the game until playing at least few hours of it, but going by this trailer alone I'd say it seems... At least decently competent and somewhat promising?

oldbonebrown

Arcane
Even if the game plays well I do not think I will be able to get over how poorly it compares visually to HoMM3.
Too much Warcraft 3 to the art.

Baron Tahn

Scholar
I...am fairly confused by this. Why...there are a lot of 'whys'?... Like why would you make a 'Olden Era' HOMM, yet not make it a battle between the progenitors of the flatworld habitats of Terra, Xeen etc? Why not just make a new MM? I dont see how this will be any less generic than regular HOMM its not like they are going to make the demon factions OP space aliens and introduce ray guns or anything, are they?

Blutwurstritter

Scholar
I hate color schemes for factions, especially green/purple for necros/dungeon. Like some fucking theme park. Does not strike me as promising for now. The best thing about the news was so far the HoMM3 soundtrack in the pc games video.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
I...am fairly confused by this. Why...there are a lot of 'whys'?... Like why would you make a 'Olden Era' HOMM, yet not make it a battle between the progenitors of the flatworld habitats of Terra, Xeen etc? Why not just make a new MM? I dont see how this will be any less generic than regular HOMM its not like they are going to make the demon factions OP space aliens and introduce ray guns or anything, are they?
MM sells much worse than HoMM.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Usual thing for such cases - current HOMM is a stillborn inbred abomination. A "restart" is needed, such as rebranding for various brands that suffered from scandal or other PR disasters.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Olden Era's nonlinear story campaign will let players choose from six new and returning factions, each with their own heroes, creatures, aesthetics, and playstyles: the knightly Temple; the Sylvan fey folk and forces of nature; the dark elves and subterranean dwellers of Dungeon; the vampires and undead of Necropolis; the demon-corrupted insectoids of Hive; and another faction that will be unveiled later.
Sylvan elves and dark elves are part of the generic Ubisoft shit lore. This is not original NWC lore, it's garbage. Those town screens look soulless.
You know nothing of MM8 and Jadame.
The dark elves from MM8 are different from Ubisoft's generic trash counterparts. They don't resemble the Warcraft dark elves, they're more akin to the D&D iterations. The Sylvan faction is Warcraft garbage as well.
derchhs1.gif
demedhs.gif
demguild.gif
detemple.gif
detrhall.gif
decouncl.gif

Despite "i have a thing for spiders" architecture and being into dark magic and stuff, MM8 dark elves were actually quite distinct. Not so much an evil counterpart to elves but more like a ruthless merchant empire with Dark Elves at the top and other races at the bottom.
A "dark elven" city in the style of HoMM3 should definitely look like a fantasy Las Vegas or be a coastal town that features beautiful walled off mansions with exotic spider motifs surrounded by countless shacks meant for troll migrants.

I am actually one of the few who likes the visuals of this new HoMM but i am also kinda miffed that despite returning to Enroth factions are still more heavily influenced by the Ashan ones.

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I heard this is being made by the guys behind that Darkest Dungeon clone Iratus

Which isn't surprising because that thing had poorly drawn art

Dr1f7

Scholar

watched the whole Q&A here's a summary:
  • game is always online, requires internet connection to play
  • quarterly battle pass (price not yet determined), play ranked multiplayer to unlock town/unit cosmetics, and special spells.
  • Harpy and Medusa units not available (this was part of a long discussion about removing problematic things from homm and modernizing the game)
  • game is actually made primarily for mobile, then ported to PC
  • some talks about consulting some people and making minor lore changes to make the game more enjoyable for everyone
  • morale rework: units no longer have inherent alignment (evil/good), and morale is instead determined by diversity of units in team.
  • they really spent a lot of time talking about competitive play and how balancing and timing things to allow for quick strategic games is important to them

they did also show some of the campaign in progress, in which you play as King Edric (from homm3)
Hero_Edric_small.gif
who, with the help of his Queen Adelaide (also from homm3)
Hero_Adelaide_%28HotA%29.png
, embarks on a campaign to uhh something, but this was in early stages

Elttharion

Learned

• quarterly battle pass (price not yet determined), play ranked multiplayer to unlock town/unit cosmetics, and special spells.
  • Harpy and Medusa units not available (this was part of a long discussion about removing problematic things from homm and modernizing the game)
  • some talks about consulting some people and making minor lore changes to make the game more enjoyable for everyone
  • morale rework: units no longer have inherent alignment (evil/good), and morale is instead determined by diversity of units in team.
  • they really spent a lot of time talking about competitive play and how balancing and timing things to allow for quick strategic games is important to them

they did also show some of the campaign in progress, in which you play as King Edric (from homm3)
Hero_Edric_small.gif

WHAT...THE...FUCK...

:timetoburn:

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
game is always online, requires internet connection to play
I see that they took some inspiration from their competitors.

Harpy and Medusa units not available (this was part of a long discussion about removing problematic things from homm and modernizing the game)
Wait, if they removed Harpies and Medusas because 'problematic' then why did they add those brown-skinned sorceresses and made ghosts like this?
ghost booba.png

Hero_Edric_small.gif

You made me skim through the video several times you bastard :lol:, and it's not good either. They just kept talking about esports and balancing the game for the pro community. The entire thing was about competitive multiplayer... :negative:

Aemar

Arcane
Hero_Edric_small.gif
The second part of the campaign takes place years later, during Gurnisson's
Hero_Gurnisson_%28HotA%29.png
reign, Edric's successor.

I see that they took some inspiration from their competitors.
Taking inspiration from games that have been using the original HoMM franchise as the gold standard of the genre since 1990 is ironic.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

GG

close this thread

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom