Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Heroes of Might and Magic: Olden Era - Ubisoft returns to Enroth - coming to Early Access in Q2 2025

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Harpy and Medusa units not available (this was part of a long discussion about removing problematic things from homm and modernizing the game)

Is this like Todd Howard saying they can't implement spears in Skyrim? Then modders did it in 2 seconds

Carceri

Arcane
[*]Harpy and Medusa units not available (this was part of a long discussion about removing problematic things from homm and modernizing the game)

I am genuinely curious about what exactly is so problematic and outdated regarding harpies and medusas.

*clicks video*

Untitled1.jpg

Oh, never mind.

ciox

Liturgist
Ok, so they tried to create some hubbub with the promotion for this game, but what makes this game actually different from the last 3 sequels?

ciox

Liturgist
I guess it has hexes in combat instead of squares like the last 3 games.

Looking at the rest of what's going on... yeah, this shit is 'back to basics' in the sense that Diablo 4 was 'back to basics'.

Sentinel

Arcane

watched the whole Q&A here's a summary:
  • game is always online, requires internet connection to play
  • quarterly battle pass (price not yet determined), play ranked multiplayer to unlock town/unit cosmetics, and special spells.
  • Harpy and Medusa units not available (this was part of a long discussion about removing problematic things from homm and modernizing the game)
  • game is actually made primarily for mobile, then ported to PC
  • some talks about consulting some people and making minor lore changes to make the game more enjoyable for everyone
  • morale rework: units no longer have inherent alignment (evil/good), and morale is instead determined by diversity of units in team.
  • they really spent a lot of time talking about competitive play and how balancing and timing things to allow for quick strategic games is important to them

they did also show some of the campaign in progress, in which you play as King Edric (from homm3)
Hero_Edric_small.gif
who, with the help of his Queen Adelaide (also from homm3)
Hero_Adelaide_%28HotA%29.png
, embarks on a campaign to uhh something, but this was in early stages

Genuinely can't tell if this is a shipost or not.

Watched the whole video and it was all about competitive multiplayer and how they are balancing it and want an esports scene. They even mentioned League of Legends when they talked about their ladder...
They also said they want to make mp matches shorter through different means but insisted that they are not simplifying or dumbing down the game.

The only non multiplayer thing I remember hearing was side upgrades (they specifically mentioned skeleton -> skeleton captain / skeleton archer) and that you'll be able to buy any spell you want even if you didn't get it in your mages guild.
Also that the story is non linear and that there are choices and consequences during the missions.

They also boasted that the early access comes with a whopping 6 hours of the campaign... :lol:

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I'd bet it's 100% shitpost

But like most codexer I am too lazy to go through 1 hour video
I skimmed the video, seems to be mostly shitpost, but they were focusing a lot on multiplayer aspects, that bit was true.

Mentioned a mode where you draft a hero and army to fight with instead of doing all the map exploration stuff. Seems like a decent premise. And I liked that the interview was largely about game mechanics and features instead of trying to sell it as streamlined or inclusive or some shit. Got the impression the devs in the interview weren't working on the lore/story aspects at all and thus avoided those topics, so no idea if that side of things will be good or not.

That said, I've got zero good will towards ubisoft after the abomination that was MMX, and no faith they won't kneecap the game right before the finish line with some retarded shit even if the devs themselves are good.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Arena mode is popular and there are some Arena style map for both HoMM 3 and 5. The fact that the devs put it in as a mode means they actually play the games.

Being wary of Ubi is natural as they thoroughly fucked with the franchise.

That being said wasn't MM X rather decently received even by the Codex as far as modern blobber goes?

Eldrin

Novice
That being said wasn't MM X rather decently received even by the Codex as far as modern blobber goes?
It was decent in the regard that there wasn't anything else in that style of gameplay available at the time of its release. It was still buggy, the textures seemed really low quality in some places - and if I remember correctly, that wasn't a graphical error, these just were really the textures as they should be, optimization was severely lacking. As with most games from Ubisoft, it needed more polish.

It was clearly a low effort throwaway from Ubisoft and made with no budget at all (half of the assets were literally recycled from the already not-stellar Might & Magic heroes VI and VII, the universally-recognized black sheeps of this series)...
BUT
for what it was it had a lot of good ideas and moments and in the end I absolutely enjoyed MOST of my time with it (it started dragging its feet pretty badly in the end game and the DLC was complete trash in terms of balance as far as I can remember).

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

watched the whole Q&A here's a summary:
  • game is always online, requires internet connection to play
  • quarterly battle pass (price not yet determined), play ranked multiplayer to unlock town/unit cosmetics, and special spells.
  • Harpy and Medusa units not available (this was part of a long discussion about removing problematic things from homm and modernizing the game)
  • game is actually made primarily for mobile, then ported to PC
  • some talks about consulting some people and making minor lore changes to make the game more enjoyable for everyone
  • morale rework: units no longer have inherent alignment (evil/good), and morale is instead determined by diversity of units in team.
  • they really spent a lot of time talking about competitive play and how balancing and timing things to allow for quick strategic games is important to them

:lol:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

It actually had great combat. I liked the quick progression too.

But the simplistic children's environments were horrible. It felt like Mario 64.

Gerrard

Arcane
Reminder that Enroth was destroyed because the HoMM fans were petulant manchildren.

spectre

Arcane
It's like clockwork, when someone uses "problematic" in a sentence, brace yourself cause what's likely to follow is probably the dumbest shit you'll be hearing on that day.

Fargus

Arcane
Harpy and Medusa units not available (this was part of a long discussion about removing problematic things from homm and modernizing the game)

Medusa was in the trailer, but funny shitpost non the less. I don't expect much from the Ubishit since i have stronger memory than goldfish unlike most normies.

I am genuinely curious about what exactly is so problematic and outdated regarding harpies and medusas.

*clicks video*

Untitled1.jpg

Oh, never mind.
hnnngh uhhhhhhh ehhhhhhrrr
id hit it

:kingcomrade:

0_61571_a7ac2f3e_orig

One of those cases when paper bag can be very handy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom