Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Heroes of Might & Magic 7

Zeriel

Arcane
It's a beta, I doubt it's very good.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
The worst part of HoMM V were the ridiculous turn loading times.

Maybe you mixed that up. Actually the duration was OK. It was like 1-3 minutes for 6 AI opponents (altogether). You know what was really sick? The turn times of HOMM IV. It was 15-40 minutes for the AI. Even pure NPC battles were fought out as slow as in real time.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
The worst part of HoMM V were the ridiculous turn loading times.

Maybe you mixed that up. Actually the duration was OK. It was like 1-3 minutes for 6 AI opponents (altogether). You know what was really sick? The turn times of HOMM IV. It was 15-40 minutes for the AI. Even pure NPC battles were fought out as slow as in real time.

I never played HoMM IV so I wouldn't know on that but used to couple seconds in HoMM III the several minutes in HoMM V felt excruciating :p

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I wouldn't mind several minutes between turns if it meant the AI actually doing some effective processing of how to beat the human player.

Zeriel

Arcane
I got an H7 beta key, is there anything anyone wants me to check out? If not, I'll just dick around for an hour and see if the game formats your hard drive.

mhm32167

Educated
1. Confirm that there isn't a simultaneous turns option in the game
2. How do areas of control work? Is it better/worse/the same as heroes 6?
3. Comment on the relative unit strengths and how combat feels e.g. do core creatures have too much hp? Is flanking a good or bad addition to combat?
4. How is the AI?

Zeriel

Arcane
*clicks shortcut*

*game crashes before it even opens*

ZMYkwJz.png

Zeriel

Arcane
Disabling RivaTuner (framerate limiter) seems to have fixed the loading issue.

Sim turns seems like it is planned, but is currently greyed out.

zamF1Q2.jpg

Game has a warning if you have an unused hero action and are about to lose it.

bC6csvi.jpg

When you go into your spellbook, there's an option to drag spells to shortcuts on the left hand side of the screen. These then appear there when you have your hero selected. Really cool addition and simple as hell, not sure why I never thought of that/suggested it, it saves a lot of time and isn't obtrusive at all.

Will report back with more later.

Cadmus

Arcane
what is it about the new HOMAM games where I can't tell what's happening on the combat screen? Everything seems so...oversaturated? Janky edges? As if the detail is in the wrong places? I can't put my finger on it

Zeriel

Arcane
what is it about the new HOMAM games where I can't tell what's happening on the combat screen? Everything seems so...oversaturated? Janky edges? As if the detail is in the wrong places? I can't put my finger on it

3D? There has never been a 3D strategy game with clean profiles unless the art is designed from the ground up to provide said profiles (i.e SC2, XCOM, maybe King's Bounty). And clean profiles tend to come at a cost of eyecandy.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Looks like they finally fixed the Skirmish Setup... in previous HOMM3,4,5 you couldn't assign colors and teams correctly or it was heavily bugged.

tindrli

Arcane

3D? There has never been a 3D strategy game with clean profiles unless the art is designed from the ground up to provide said profiles (i.e SC2, XCOM, maybe King's Bounty). And clean profiles tend to come at a cost of eyecandy.

3D is totally unnecessary. With todays technology they could do wonders with 2D.. its worthless spending resources instead of spending it in AI for example

Zeriel

Arcane

3D is totally unnecessary. With todays technology they could do wonders with 2D.. its worthless spending resources instead of spending it in AI for example

2D is my waifu too, but devs never agree. Apparently its easier to shovel out ugly 3D.

Quatlo

Arcane

2D is my waifu too, but devs never agree. Apparently its easier to shovel out ugly 3D.

Its not easier, its cheaper, by a fuckton. And since we are dealing with Ubishit here its obvious choice, and will remain as such forever. Good sprite art is expensive to make as hell (when you hire people, if you are one of the enthusiasts it obviously cuts the budged by a lot) while decent 3d art is really cheap and pretty much anyone can make it, skill in drawing and animating pretty things belongs only to a chosen few. Mockup 3d/2,5d like in Homm3 would never pass nowadays, so in AAA you are bound to either make game fully 3d or fully 2d (lol 2d in AAA). The only "cheap" 2d we get right now is some flash-animation-tier crap without imagination and antialiased do death.

Luzur

Good Sir

Eh, the kids wont buy your grandpa's 2D grafficks with no bloom, LOL

Tehdagah

Arcane

Muh 2D

:mrfussy:

Zeriel

Arcane
DCCoop3.png

AYY L-M-A-O.

Haven confirmed for master race.
What is the point of getting a full second turn when a half turn is all you need for another attack?

I don't have crystal clarity recall on earlier games, but in the last few titles at least the half turn does much, much less damage. I don't know the exact %, but it often feels like 80% reduced damage. So this ability is basically "double your damage", since Haven morale is incredibly high once you reach Master tier.

Suicidal

Arcane
DCCoop3.png

AYY L-M-A-O.

What is the point of getting a full second turn when a half turn is all you need for another attack?

I don't have crystal clarity recall on earlier games, but in the last few titles at least the half turn does much, much less damage. I don't know the exact %, but it often feels like 80% reduced damage. So this ability is basically "double your damage", since Haven morale is incredibly high once you reach Master tier.

I think it's 50% reduced damage + units cannot use their special abilities on morale bonus turns.

Zeriel

Arcane
DCCoop3.png

AYY L-M-A-O.

I think it's 50% reduced damage + units cannot use their special abilities on morale bonus turns.

Yeah, noticed it is 50% after playing a little more. The tooltips are pretty useful now, they show your damage bonuses on mouseover attacking any unit, and holding RMB breaks them down point by point without going into another window or anything.

CRD

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
There is a "glitch" on the european uplay store, preorder of the collectors edition for 15€ or 15gbp

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom