Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Hey hey people, it's the SsethTzeentach thread

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
(also didn't know that the Bastard Bonds one had a co-writer, but I digress)

So that's why there were so many normie memes. At least there is still incest, scat and black market references so it's not completely reddit quality.

Or if those were the bits coming from Sseth then maybe he is just expanding his economy on Zoomers.
co-writers are very reputable I've once co-written a youtube review of space rangers 2

Either his style is getting old or grip gets weaker but I don't find these new videos any entertaining
There's so many times you can watch a video of his until you realize he's going to make the same jokes but with a different game in the background. His original Might and Magic 6 was great because of this. It was pure, so to speak.

His editors community post:
Toastoffire said:
I just realized I never properly broke the news to you guys, but I am now working for Sseth. As in, THE Sseth. I edited his [Badword] Bonds video, and I've already finished his next video, where I both wrote the script and edited the video.

Since I'm basically doing everything except the voice acting, the projects I'm doing for his channel will basically just be the same stuff I've been making for my channel lol. This channel's output will slow down, but now I'm only gonna work on projects that I truly care about, so hopefully that means better but less frequent videos.
So yeah, it's the regular youtube career mountain peak part where you realize that your fanbase will watch anything "you" squeeze out so you just get someone else to do everything while still being the face/voice of it.

PapaPetro

So yeah, it's the regular youtube career mountain peak part where you realize that your fanbase will watch anything "you" squeeze out so you just get someone else to do everything while still being the face/voice of it.
NGL, that's actually a valid MBA business strategy: where you invest heavily to build the brand and gain loyal customers with quality content, then either sell it off and/or whittle the quality down slowly to save on costs and increase profitability while maintaining the customer base (till they figure it out at least).
Most fast food startups pull this shit. The classic case study is Subway in the 90s where they offered $5 footlong subs when they first entered the market. Now $10 gets you 6-inches of bread & dick crumbs.

Hobknobling

Learned
His editors community post:
Toastoffire said:
I just realized I never properly broke the news to you guys, but I am now working for Sseth. As in, THE Sseth. I edited his [Badword] Bonds video, and I've already finished his next video, where I both wrote the script and edited the video.

Since I'm basically doing everything except the voice acting, the projects I'm doing for his channel will basically just be the same stuff I've been making for my channel lol. This channel's output will slow down, but now I'm only gonna work on projects that I truly care about, so hopefully that means better but less frequent videos.
You either die a totalbiscuit or live long enough to see yourself become the angry video game nerd.
TotalBiscuit's videos were mediocre at best, but I always appreciated the pro-consumer stuff he did.

Sseth has definetly switched to milking his audience. His videos are way too long and his type of content has also been heavily hit by the fucking abysmal monetization policy changes made by YouTube.

Stokowski

Arcane
Sseth didn't invent anything to be fair. His shtick was covering games that zoomers wouldn't, but he uses their brand of spastic humor.
It's not necessary to invent something new to carve out a unique and characterful niche.
TotalBiscuit's videos were mediocre at best, but I always appreciated the pro-consumer stuff he did.
The only times I can recall clicking on a TotalBiscuit review he spent the first 15-25 minutes going over the graphics options available in the game title rather than addressing any gameplay or content. Weird fucking priorities.

Dave the Druid

Educated
The only times I can recall clicking on a TotalBiscuit review he spent the first 15-25 minutes going over the graphics options available in the game title rather than addressing any gameplay or content. Weird fucking priorities.
Most of his videos were from that era of utter dogshit PC ports where even having a decent options menu was the exception not the rule. It was actually quite helpful since this was the era when mainstream reviewers would often only review the 360 version, which was usually the lead platform, of a game and then said nothing about the PC port which ran at 15 FPS, set your graphics card on fire and had absurd DRM where you had to connect to a central server every other minute. This did lead to some oddities though, like the time he praised Thief 2014. I mean, say what you want about that game but damn if it didn't have a decent settings screen. And a reasonably decent frame-rate on PC, so that's two things. Shame about everything else though.

Reever

Scholar
Patron
Most of his videos were from that era of utter dogshit PC ports where even having a decent options menu was the exception not the rule. It was actually quite helpful since this was the era when mainstream reviewers would often only review the 360 version, which was usually the lead platform, of a game and then said nothing about the PC port which ran at 15 FPS, set your graphics card on fire and had absurd DRM where you had to connect to a central server every other minute. This did lead to some oddities though, like the time he praised Thief 2014. I mean, say what you want about that game but damn if it didn't have a decent settings screen. And a reasonably decent frame-rate on PC, so that's two things. Shame about everything else though.
Don't forget how much he pushed for FOV sliders. In a time where games shipped with FOVs designed for consoles and you had to go through .inis or fan-made hacks to get them above 85.

Dave the Druid

Educated
Don't forget how much he pushed for FOV sliders. In a time where games shipped with FOVs designed for consoles and you had to go through .inis or fan-made hacks to get them above 85.
I literally thought, "I should've mentioned something about FOV silders and having to fuck around with the config.ini in notepad for half an hour" a minute after I posted it.

Black

Arcane
While I like his Wiz 8 review the most, it is clear that his best was the og MM 6 review. Because it wasn't a review. It was just a video about a game he really liked. It was pure, untainted passion and fanboyism.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Most jobs eventually suck the fun out of things
Any way to break that cycle?
I see that burn out happen to virtually every guy whose stuff I enjoy.
Usually, it's finding something new to get excited about. If you look at people who have long careers in the same company, for the most part, they go through entirely different departments or switch to BUs that target different markets. Same with hobbies, I usually cycle through my interests and I had times when I lost interest in stuff for a couple of years until it came back. Different genres in games for example, or stop gaming for a couple of months or years and do something different. Eventually you recharge and find something new to enjoy about your old hobbies

PapaPetro

Usually, it's finding something new to get excited about. If you look at people who have long careers in the same company, for the most part, they go through entirely different departments or switch to BUs that target different markets. Same with hobbies, I usually cycle through my interests and I had times when I lost interest in stuff for a couple of years until it came back. Different genres in games for example, or stop gaming for a couple of months or years and do something different. Eventually you recharge and find something new to enjoy about your old hobbies
Keep the meta fresh.

Autistic enthusiasm about the topic at hand and consumption of highly addictive drugs.
Go balls out.

Lhynn

Arcane
Think subtle racism and oversexualization made his videos spicy, think his passion and distinct love for every title he showcased made every video feel different, think him being in a very dark spot of his life made every video disturbing and inherently interesting.

Lately it all feels very formulaic, sanitized and safe, they can no longer be called a form of art. I blame it on the jews.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom