Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

HighFleet - Desert Russians Fight With Warships In Post-Apocalyptic Wasteland

spectre

Arcane
The Odin Mk8, my first custom ship, I was tired of the absence of any small/pocket carrier.
Yep, pocket carriers are cool in this game and a similar setup served me well. Mine was based on 2x large fuel tanks and much more thrust for more range and higher speed, you don't want to slow the lightnings too much.

Also, once you actually start using those sprint missiles you will quickly notice they should point upwards, or at the very least be placed on an elevation - the bottom tubes will sorta work while airborne,
but the ones on the side will be launched in the wrong direction, sometimes even hitting the ship itself.

DesolationStone

Educated
Okay, I've modified the Odin mk8 (now mk9) with an additional thruster and a thermal radar
Also, once you actually start using those sprint missiles you will quickly notice they should point upwards, or at the very least be placed on an elevation - the bottom tubes will sorta work while airborne,
Yeah, I've notice that, so I have also turn the AA missiles

DesolationStone

Educated
You can make a different flagship by adding a single line to the .seria file.
I misspoke, I meant to say "which one it's the better way for revamp and reconstruct the Sevastopol during a vanilla campaign?" Because the editor during the campaign it's a stick in the ass because for some reason you can't zoom and if you mistakenly remove an object you need to wait minimum 0,5 hours to add it again!
Right now the only thing I do it's just remove the nuclear rockets for add two normal ones and scrap some radar

spectre

Arcane
Okay, I've modified the Odin mk8 (now mk9) with an additional thruster and a thermal radar
Just a thought, I figure your Odins might work best in pairs, if only for the fact that the usefulness of just two planes is limited outside scouting.
If so, I'd have one with the fire control radar and the other with thermal+elint package. Might get you more bang for your buck this way.

You can check out my Let's Play if you want to compare notes about pocket carriers, distributing sensor packages and what to do with the Sevastopol.
(though I tend to favor a rather... radical approach).

Regarding the AA missles, the most recent patch notes seem to say they "fixed" the logic for firing them.
I haven't played this game since 1.15, so my comment about them hitting the ship might be a bit outdated.
It's a shame you can't really test out your designs against missile attacks in the editor.
Also, bear in mind that planes can also do missile interception as long as you have the munitions.

Because the editor during the campaign it's a stick in the ass because for some reason you can't zoom and if you mistakenly remove an object you need to wait minimum 0,5 hours to add it again!
Yep, for the purpose of the campaign, I think it pays to have a bunch of simple designs which I can rebuild from memory. Nothing too intricate.
I also like to diddle with the stock designs in the editor and check if I can unfuck them by just removing a bunch of parts.

Norfleet

I misspoke, I meant to say "which one it's the better way for revamp and reconstruct the Sevastopol during a vanilla campaign?
To completely gut it and turn it into a mini-pod you zoom out into the desert and park, because that thing is a disaster area that is unsalvageable, trying to be too many things at once, barely able to even fly, and thus terrible at all of those things.

Beowulf

Arcane
Old news, but I somehow missed, so you might have missed it as well.
3EJ0pu0.png

Zeem

Learned
Finished the game today, and what a ride it was. The ending is disappointingly short after the great sequence in Khiva, and the mystery of pillar inscription in reactor building is an agonizing cliffhanger.
But the gameplay and balance are incredibly deep, I keep finding new ways to optimize my expedition and outsmart the opposition. I love how every single minigame and mechanic feed into the larger picture, so no element feels disjointed, superfluous or out of place. The strategic layer is especially great, since persistent fleets mean that you can compile, analyze and cross-reference information from different sources for a more complete picture.
The one thing I didn't like that much was post-Khiva endgame on my first run. You're encouraged by the game to evade SGs and go straight for Khiva without getting distracted, but clearing out the area around it (especially the cities within ballistic missile range) and destroying the strike groups ahead of time immensely helps once the ultimatum comes. Plus the wealth of ships you get from tarkhans that still like you is mostly useless due to the fact that you don't have the time to fuel them up properly, so spreading out your fleet around the capital is a better choice than concentrating it in a single strike group for the final assault.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Do it.

Is there a way yet to make it so that 1) new custom ships appear in the game world or 2) modified variants of existing ships can replace the default variants in-game?

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
Is there a lot of agency in terms of where to go and what to do in the game? I played like an hour or so and it felt kind of linear but I also can't tell anymore.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Is there a lot of agency in terms of where to go and what to do in the game? I played like an hour or so and it felt kind of linear but I also can't tell anymore.
Are you sure you made it out of the tutorial? There is complete freedom on where to go, what to do is more complicated. You’re working against pressure, you will feel the need for fuel/arms/sanctuary/ships - depending on what has happened to your fleet - no matter what. Mid game when you really grok the systems is probably the least pressured.

Zariusz

Arbiter
Highfleet 2? I hoped for expansion ehh... now we are going to wait longer i guess though its possible that we could have 3d building system with ships that would be able to turn now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom