Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hogwarts Legacy - Harry Potter open world action RPG prequel set in the late 1800s

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
At the same time, what a monumental chance to disappoint and not deliver something interesting at all.
E.g. it would be such a shame if there was no real build variety and we'd end up with something like Witcher 3 where no matter how you build your character, it will play exactly the same each time anyway.
This game will feature real time timers:

rt.png

It will basically be a mobile scam disguised as a $60 $70 game. Expecting "build variety" is a bit too much.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
At the same time, what a monumental chance to disappoint and not deliver something interesting at all.
E.g. it would be such a shame if there was no real build variety and we'd end up with something like Witcher 3 where no matter how you build your character, it will play exactly the same each time anyway.

rt.png

It will basically be a mobile scam disguised as a $60 $70 game. Expecting "build variety" is a bit too much.
What is that even?
Looks like you're growing some plants and it shows you how long they'll take to grow. Which just seems like pretty normal stuff to me.
All timers are real time in a real time game... I really don't see the problem here. But maybe I'm interpreting the screenshot wrong.

How you go from that to mobile scam might require a bit more explanation on your part.

wishbonetail

Learned
I still don't know if the game will let us fuck a time-traveling Hermione. Can someone clarify this issue for me? I just need a Hermione sex trailer to preorder this.
It would have been properly titled then, "HP and Pre-order of Penix" or something like that. Just play Witch trainer, it really should be in codex top 100 list.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
I just can't take modern games seriously anymore, it's supposed to be in the fucking UK not africa
"b-b-but it's a wizarding school!"
there's fucking multiple schools all over the world, it's a major plot of like two of the books
hogwarts is literally a school for fucking british people, not even european people -- which has like three of their own or some shit

this is on the same tier as claiming hermione is black, fucking clownworldia

same exact shit ruined my vampyr experience, why even set it in "hogwarts" if you're going to do this
It's now at the point where this is what a normal British school looks like.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
How you go from that to mobile scam might require a bit more explanation on your part.
I don't know how familiar you are with mobile games, but real-time timers are one of their favorite tools to fake having gameplay, hook players, and extort their money. They put various activities (gathering resources, improving buildings, training troops) behind a real-time countdown, and this has three main effects:
- the player feels like he is doing something meaningful and engaging (while he is just setting a glorified alarm);
- the player builds a routine around these alarms, and the weak-willed individuals who play these games LOVE routines;
- the player is incentivized to spend currencies bought with real money to speed up those timers and gain a sudden increase in perceived efficiency.

The moment you introduce real time timers in a videogame like this, you can't expect it to go in any other direction. Especially since its theme and flashy looks are supposed to enthrall normies regardless of the gameplay.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't know how familiar you are with mobile games, but real-time timers are one of their favorite tools to fake having gameplay, hook players, and extort their money. They put various activities (gathering resources, improving buildings, training troops) behind a real-time countdown, and this has three main effects:
- the player feels like he is doing something meaningful and engaging (while he is just setting a glorified alarm);
- the player builds a routine around these alarms, and the weak-willed individuals who play these games LOVE routines;
- the player is incentivized to spend currencies bought with real money to speed up those timers and gain a sudden increase in perceived efficiency.

The moment you introduce real time timers in a videogame like this, you can't expect it to go in any other direction. Especially since its theme and flashy looks are supposed to enthrall normies regardless of the gameplay.
Dude.... you posted a screenshot of a student at a wizard school, in which it is normal that students grow certain plants, growing plants.

Real time timers have been in gaming since forever - fucking C&C had them in the 90s. That was not a mobile game, just in case you were not aware.
To try and make this into some kind of "modern games bad" rant is so insanely out there I'm not sure if you are just having a good troll here.

And time-based routines?
OF COURSE there will be routines in this game.
IT IS A FUCKING SCHOOL. I am expecting routines to be quite a significant part of it. Not unlike Academagia.

I am aware how MTX in gaming works, thank you very much.
But is there even any word that this game will have that?
Taking the existence of timers in a game as some kind of proof is just absurd.

I mean, hey, maybe they'll just make the player run around, growing plants in-between lessons and then you click to collect them and that's all the "gameplay".
But I do have my doubts, given the significant development time.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

This has been a normal feature for strategic gameplay since the mid-10s. The Phantom Pain, Dragon Age Inquisition, Pillars of Eternity, Kingmaker, they all have timers associated with their respective management minigames. System Shock 2 from 1999 had research with timers though it didn't set a trend https://shodan.fandom.com/wiki/Research

Also some dev confirmed that there won't be microtransactions. :M

Codex Year of the Donut

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
the #1 mod for inquisition on nexusmods(by a significant margin) is one that removes the timer btw
https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonageinquisition/mods/top/
they're pointless mechanics that do nothing but draw out the game with non-content

If someone wants to cheat and always pick the person they want to accomplish the task instead of playing the minigame as intended with trade-offs then okay. :M

In Hogwarts Legacy's case, the timer is to keep you from filling up your inventory with whatever you want. There are other ways to accomplish that, but they chose this one.

Codex Year of the Donut
the #1 mod for inquisition on nexusmods(by a significant margin) is one that removes the timer btw
https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonageinquisition/mods/top/
they're pointless mechanics that do nothing but draw out the game with non-content

If someone wants to cheat and always pick the person they want to accomplish the task instead of playing the minigame as intended with trade-offs then okay. :M
the "trade-off" is you sit there staring at a screen for a specified amount of time.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pillars of Eternity, Kingmaker
What real time timers do PoE and Kingmaker have? :despair:

Maybe you and the good sheep are right and I'm just exaggerating everything in my head, but whenever a big-franchise game like this comes out I can only assume the worst. I would have probably assumed the worst even without seeing anything about the game, so imagine how well that timer cemented the idea in my brain.

Also some dev confirmed that there won't be microtransactions. :M
See? I can only read this as "there won't be microtransactions AT LAUNCH".

30-year-old kids
what if I don't have a paycheck
Then you will join me in the kingdom of heaven :positive:

Delterius

Arcane
You could make the case that the wizards in Harry Potter are an allegory for Jewish people
The wizards in Harry Potter are slave owning libs who built an ethno state based around the enslavement and second class citizenship of the rest of the magical world. Their chief opponents are wizard supremacists whose biggest crime is to want to enslave non wizard humans too.

Look JK Rowling is a hack. The moment someone was like 'huh Hogwarts isn't really diverse is it' she came up with a character literally called Jewy Goldstein or something. The goblins being the magical world's second class people who control finance is what makes them a Jewish analogue. The fact that they look like Nazi caricatures of Jews is the weird Freudian act. And the reason people think this betrays Rowling's real irl cognitive biases is because she used to write articles such as 'the follies of activism or why freeing people from slavery is just virtue signaling'.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
what non-preferred outcome?
have you played dragon age inquisition? you select something and a timer starts
Choosing different advisors to handle a task results in different outcomes.

What real time timers do PoE and Kingmaker have?

Building upgrades in both games takes time. Then you have the mini-adventures you send idle companions in PoE and advisors in Kingmaker on https://pillarsofeternity.fandom.com/wiki/Stronghold_random_events#Adventures
662px-U2oi5tonrqy11.jpg

This looks like it could be pretty cool. For all of HP's inconsistencies and plot holes, one thing its disregard for rationality does is make it a perfect backdrop for mystery, imagination, and wonder. It looks like they are getting that point right. I'm also mildly optimistic that since this will be a world of wizards, that we're actually going to get interesting magic. There has been so very little of that in the last 20 years of gaming.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
this has nothing to do with the timer though

If an advisor is busy with one task, they can't take on another. With the mod, you can just wipe out all the tasks with a single person in one go.

you're conflating game time with real life time

It's not that much of a difference unless the timer still works when the game is off which has its own pros and cons (a definite pro for growing things in Nier).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom