Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hogwarts Legacy - Harry Potter open world action RPG prequel set in the late 1800s

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
It's 2023, peeps.

Looking for popular media to make sense has been a losing battle for a long time now.

cpmartins

Cipher
I tried reading a hairy pooter book once. I had to stop, the sudden realization that I wasn't 13 anymore and therefore wasn't mentally handicapped enough to enjoy the childish and badly written fiction rowling is capable of putting out.
It's never a bad time to remind everyone that rowling is still, in fact, a feminist and therefore deserving of the rope as much as the troons she so adamantly opposes.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Besides, the books established that there are wizard schools all over the world. Non-white students should mostly be at the schools where said minorities are majorities.
Yeah about that
Fnqm4sUWIAIZkGG

This is ridiculous. Shouldn't have even bothered to define it, stick to what she knows (Britain).

deuxhero

Arcane
Besides, the books established that there are wizard schools all over the world. Non-white students should mostly be at the schools where said minorities are majorities.
Yeah about that

This is ridiculous. Shouldn't have even bothered to define it, stick to what she knows (Britain).
Never read the books, but isn't some international sports tournament is a big plot point of one of the books? I know there's a video game about it, and some of these are present as teams. I'd guess the majority were created to be opposing teams in that event and never heard from again.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
If there were no black people around, how did they learn black magic? huh
They usually call it the dark arts or dark magic.
I know only one spell that insta kills people in the movies, how will they balance it in the game?
They give the goblins a basic bow or other similar projectile weapon.

Rowling's wizards are worse than level 1 dnd wizardirinos in some respects.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
I know only one spell that insta kills people in the movies, how will they balance it in the game?

Why don't people just use guns in this story? I never got a good explanation.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Never read the books, but isn't some international sports tournament is a big plot point of one of the books? I know there's a video game about it, and some of these are present as teams. I'd guess the majority were created to be opposing teams in that event and never heard from again.
Doesn't matter how throwaway the references are, this is the canon she defined.

Turn_BASED

Educated

Why don't people just use guns in this story? I never got a good explanation.
Wizards are fucking stupid and horrible thieves. You know that hogwarts express train they get on? Wizards just straight up stole it. Their aversion to technology is borderline retarded.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Does the name creator in this have a big enough character limit to fit "Ebony Dark'Ness Dementia Raven Way" in its entirety.

It is imperative that this be known.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Yeah about that
Fnqm4sUWIAIZkGG

Even if the game where set in castelobruxo(literally Warlock's castle in English). in the game's time, Brazil where an aristocratic empire ruled by European monarchs and nobles with lots of African slaves. Argentina? They send blacks to die scouting enemies in front lines with nothing but a knife and quarantined areas with them to let diseases to kill them all. My guess is that if such setting where real, you will probably see lots of whites, castizos, mestizos and indigenous students in "castelobruxo" but not many blacks and far more muggle born(as few families would leave the old world) I'm not saying that is good, only the historical reality of the time and since JKR made the magical world in some aspects an "mirror" to real world...

Anyway, I wish that the game where set in Scholomance Durmstrang Institute.

Not in raw power. An wizard in hp universe can spam avada kedavra 24/7. While in AD&D 2e, even an epic level mage could only cast it 5 times per day(6 if specialized in necromancy)

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

Not in raw power. An wizard in hp universe can spam avada kedavra 24/7. While in AD&D 2e, even an epic level mage could only cast it 5 times per day(6 if specialized in necromancy)

My complaint about HP wizards (as far as I'm aware of the setting) connects with everyone else's complaints of Rowling: her worldbuilding is lazy and nonsensical, which is in many ways fine because it's mostly for kids and not meant to be taken too seriously.

But man, HP wizards are goddamn awful at any type of real-life combat. After browsing the wiki, it took HP wizards until the early middle ages to invent a killing curse, and it can be dodged or blocked with physical barriers, or shot down with other spells. And it requires magical mastery to perform.

Not to mention it's also relatively slow, single target and occasionally can rebound on you due to... love or some shit?

stargatesg1powerofgunsstupidwizardsmeme.gif

Meanwhile let me present the gucci glock:

Screenshot_20211218-111720~2.png

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Harry Potter is a children's book series with childish nonsensical world-building, what's one more silly thing?
Canon and lore matter, but only sometimes.

Sorry, I just don't like this argument of "it's made up anyway". It's basically, "anything is fine, so long as I'm fine with it. now shut up about the things you aren't fine with because I just want to play the game".

I think that if the game had Harry Potter suddenly becoming a Nazi and raping Hermione while shouting select passages from Mein Kampf, you'd probably say that there have been alterations to his character that aren't in line with the books or the setting. And wouldn't buy me saying "it's just a silly kids book anyway who cares teehee". :M

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Harry Potter is a children's book series with childish nonsensical world-building, what's one more silly thing?
Canon and lore matter, but only sometimes.

Sorry, I just don't like this argument of "it's made up anyway". It's basically, "anything is fine, so long as I'm fine with it. now shut up about the things you aren't fine with because I just want to play the game".

I think that if the game had Harry Potter suddenly becoming a Nazi and raping Hermione while shouting select passages from Mein Kampf, you'd probably say that there have been alterations to his character that aren't in line with the books or the setting. And wouldn't buy me saying "it's just a silly kids book anyway who cares teehee". :M
I'd say, wow, sounds like NEG started writing fan fiction to fap to at night. What a weirdo.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist

My complaint about HP wizards (as far as I'm aware of the setting) connects with everyone else's complaints of Rowling: her worldbuilding is lazy and nonsensical, which is in many ways fine because it's mostly for kids and not meant to be taken too seriously.

But man, HP wizards are goddamn awful at any type of real-life combat. After browsing the wiki, it took HP wizards until the early middle ages to invent a killing curse, and it can be dodged or blocked with physical barriers, or shot down with other spells. And it requires magical mastery to perform.

Not to mention it's also relatively slow, single target and occasionally can rebound on you due to... love or some shit?
My copey headcannon is that it's rather invoking the power of death itself, instead of just killing someone with force. You could still kill someone with winshartium lesbiosa if you really want to, nothing's stopping you.

unfortunately i doubt rowling could think of complicated ideas like that. should spells that aren't specifically intended to create projectiles be projectiles, anyway? that's some video game sheeeit

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
Spells in Harry Potter are mainly plot devices. They tend to translate poorly to RPGs in terms of tactical use.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
unfortunately i doubt rowling could think of complicated ideas like that.
Clearly, she doesn't think her magic through. She already broke her entire setting by making time travel not only possible, but so easy a child could do it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom