Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hogwarts Legacy - Harry Potter open world action RPG prequel set in the late 1800s

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
So, how does this game actually play like? I have no idea what an action rpg in a Harry Potter setting is supposed to look like. When I hear action RPG, I think of Diablo and that doesn't really work with this setting.
Dodge rolls, spells with generic damage/stun effects, exploding barrels, parries, cooldowns. Exactly what you'd expect from a generic open world RPG in 2023.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The idea of an RPG set in a magical school could be interesting. Imagine an RPG set in Scholomance, with old school mechanics, not this modern mechanics...

Harthwain

Magister
The idea of an RPG set in a magical school could be interesting. Imagine an RPG set in Scholomance, with old school mechanics, not this modern mechanics...
You mean an RPG or a simulation/management game? Because I'd argue you could have an interesting game on your hand with the latter, rather than with the former.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
A magical school raising sim with triggered plots/events depending on character build, NPC flag/relation point, ala Tale of Wuxia would be great (with combat scenario as well)

Viata

Arcane
After all those years making video games and we still don't have a great "be a wizard" game. That simulator one was close, but the dev went full retard on "we should add this".

Mauman

Scholar
We ALMOST had one. Though it would have been an rpg/adventure hybrid.

The dev couple of "Quest for Glory" started a game series called "Hero U". First game was about rogues (given the thief/mage/fighter class setup of QfG the school in question catered to all of them), and the 2nd game was going to be about a mages. Granted, it had a set character, but it had a surprising amount of C&C for being a niche indie title.

Would I call the game perfect? No, but I would say it was better than most of the triple and Double A swill we've seen in the past decade.

Alas, it did not sell well enough so a proper sequel is all but never going to happen. They're now making a god-awful looking visual novel instead :negative:

Sarathiour

Cipher
A magical school raising sim with triggered plots/events depending on character build, NPC flag/relation point, ala Tale of Wuxia would be great (with combat scenario as well)
You could literally copypaste the whole forumula, with the rivalry between kung-fu school being rivalry between magic school instead. Even adding silly secret route, like the muscle wizard/barbarian school of magic.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
As far as we see from the books and movies (correct me if I'm wrong), wizards are bad at fighting and have no concept of any kind of modern military doctrine applied to centuries of magical warfare common sense.
I mean, honest question, Hogwart's isn't some kind of paramilitary academy, is it? Is the purpose of the school to train soldiers?
Actually a fairly interesting question. Apparently combat is enough of a concern that there's an entire curriculum devoted to it, the school produces a lot of magic cops, and most of the events in the books I read involved some kind of fighting.

Oh, and Hogwarts was explicitly accused of building a child soldier army later in the series.

This game is also likely 90% focused on combat.

But the answer is no, it's a school for magic accountants or something.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Reminder that there exists a currency system and there is a such thing as rich and poor wizards.

In a world where wizards can teleport around, summon any random shit they want, etc. They have to apparently ride a broomstick to a grocery store and buy food with goblin gold.

kangaxx

Arbiter
Actually a fairly interesting question. Apparently combat is enough of a concern that there's an entire curriculum devoted to it, the school produces a lot of magic cops, and most of the events in the books I read involved some kind of fighting.

Oh, and Hogwarts was explicitly accused of building a child soldier army later in the series.

But the answer is no, it's a school for magic accountants or something.
In one of the films the janitor's cat gets the bullet. These guys don't fuck around.

Sarathiour

Cipher

To be fair to Rowling, that's probably the most reasonable part of her setting. If every born wizards has the potential to become a massive liability to the society, teaching all of them about what amount to "basic magic safety'" seems more than reasonable.

Viata

Arcane
Reminder that there exists a currency system and there is a such thing as rich and poor wizards.

In a world where wizards can teleport around, summon any random shit they want, etc. They have to apparently ride a broomstick to a grocery store and buy food with goblin gold.
The worldbuilding in HP is horrible. And the excuse "it was for kids" makes no sense, I have seen stuff target at kids done better.

Sarkile

Magister
Patron
Have there been any articles or releases about what sort of RPG systems the game has? Or is this another "RPG"?

somerandomdude

Learned
People in this thread see this and are like yes this is what I want this is my idea of a harry potter game

Screenshot_2022-11-10_at_18.10.16.png
Seems historically accurate considering it's placed in Britain, and everyone knows the first cuck-islanders were these midget negroes referred to as "cheddar man". I'm glad to see that original cuck-islanders are properly represented in this title. :-D

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Apparently it's 15-20h main quest, 100h to get all the collectibles and what not.

Somewhat short for an rpg, but it would get very boring if it was longer, considering the gameplay loot and limited scenery available.

I'll likely get it at a discount, I enjoyed the books and movies.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Only now I realized this is General RPG Discussion. I guess anything goes here now.
Since official policy is that "if the Steam page or developers call it an RPG, it qualifies as an RPG", there should be an RPG subforum titled "So-Called RPGs" or something like that for titles like this.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The worldbuilding in HP is horrible. And the excuse "it was for kids" makes no sense, I have seen stuff target at kids done better.
Kids don't know and don't care which is why Harry Potter remains the biggest children's fiction series well after a decade after the last book was published.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Apparently combat is enough of a concern that there's an entire curriculum devoted to it
Is it a "how to fight" curriculum, a "military strategy" curriculum, or a "how to cast Fireball" type curriculum? Those are very different things. Honestly I would expect this type of school to focus on ivory tower theory (here's how to cast Fireball) while neglecting its practical application.

most of the events in the books I read involved some kind of fighting.
But again, not organized warfare, right? More like "Harry fights a ghost because he is a magnet for conflict". I'm sure I don't have to start listing movies where an untrained everyman finds themselves in violent situations.

Of course, but that's what I'm trying to figure out. Is the setting really about child soldiers and is it assumed that students are back-flipping killing machines, or did they make this a fighting game strictly for the $$$?

Speaking for myself I want the kids in a setting like this to be bad at fighting and uncomfortable with the destructive tools they have access to. To be honest I just want more games to use the Silent Hill approach that sometimes lethal conflict is unavoidable but the protagonist doesn't happen to be an ex-military hero. This could have been so much more than a rote action game where a space marine kills a million aliens a kid dodge rolls away from explosions and whittles down enemy hit point bars ... with schoolroom magic I guess.

Viata

Arcane
Kids don't know and don't care which is why Harry Potter remains the biggest children's fiction series well after a decade after the last book was published.
In a world were Alice's books exist, that is sad.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Apparently combat is enough of a concern that there's an entire curriculum devoted to it
Is it a "how to fight" curriculum, a "military strategy" curriculum, or a "how to cast Fireball" type curriculum? Those are very different things. Honestly I would expect this type of school to focus on ivory tower theory (here's how to cast Fireball) while neglecting its practical application.

most of the events in the books I read involved some kind of fighting.
But again, not organized warfare, right? More like "Harry fights a ghost because he is a magnet for conflict". I'm sure I don't have to start listing movies where an untrained everyman finds themselves in violent situations.

Of course, but that's what I'm trying to figure out. Is the setting really about child soldiers and is it assumed that students are back-flipping killing machines, or did they make this a fighting game strictly for the $$$?

Speaking for myself I want the kids in a setting like this to be bad at fighting and uncomfortable with the destructive tools they have access to. To be honest I just want more games to use the Silent Hill approach that sometimes lethal conflict is unavoidable but the protagonist doesn't happen to be an ex-military hero. This could have been so much more than a rote action game where a space marine kills a million aliens a kid dodge rolls away from explosions and whittles down enemy hit point bars ... with schoolroom magic I guess.

Defense against the Dark Arts or whatever is exactly what it sounds like, a practical self defense class. But I remember there are undertones that the class is actually a pathway to learning the dark arts themselves. So make of that what you will.

Harry Potter is not Ender's Game or some other YA novel set in a military training facility. That's not what Rowling was going for.

But given the events of what happens, I mostly find it ironic it isn't.

I also agree with your preference for a more light-hearted, non-combat oriented adventure set in a school. But seeing how a lot of the marketing focuses on combat and a supposed goblin revolt... I dunno.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

Tbf starting with 4th book (some argue 5th) it is squarely on the YA territory.

That being said, people bitch too much on "muh world building" too. Suspension of disbelief is a thing, most of the time people bitching "muh world building" is purely nitpicking as they just don't like it to begin with and need a "valid reason" as to why.

First 4 books of HP is perfectly serviceable kid books with decent enough writing. Hell even as adult it is perfectly serviceable "popcorn" books, namely books you read just as a hobby. There are way way worse books in the same genre of modern day fantasy.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom