Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hogwarts Legacy - Harry Potter open world action RPG prequel set in the late 1800s

weren't goblins in the harry potter universe cartoonishly jewish? big noses, controlling the banks and such? There was something of an uprising because of it, but nothing comparable to people's reactions to Rowling's comments about trans people.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
:lol: Guess you can rely on the tranny to crack the TERF-game.

Goblin rebellion? :incline: What are teh causes of the rebelion?
https://harrypotter.fandom.com/wiki/Goblin_Rebellions
The Goblin Rebellions were a series of rebellions in which the goblin population of the wizarding world revolted against discrimination and prejudice toward their kind by wizards and witches. They were most prevalent during the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, but even in modern times, there were subversive goblin groups working in secret against the British Ministry of Magic, according to the Daily Prophet. The historical rebellions had been described as "bloody and vicious".

The Goblin Rebellions were one of the most important topics Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry students studied in History of Magic. For the final exams during their first year, they had to memorise the dates of the Goblin Rebellions. During his fourth-year exams, Ron Weasley could not remember all the names of the goblin rebels and invented some; by luck, he guessed Urg the Unclean's name correctly. In his History of Magic Ordinary Wizarding Level in 1996, Harry Potter skipped question four, which asked whether wand legislation contributed to the goblin riots of the eighteenth century. Given the anger expressed by some goblins, such as Griphook, about wizards denying goblins the right to use wands, it may indeed have been a contributing factor to past rebellions.

According to the WOMBAT, these rebellions may have occurred because of lack of goblin representation on the Wizengamot, attempts to enslave goblins as house-elves, stripping of wand privileges, wizard attempts to control Gringotts, or the brutal goblin slayings by Yardley Platt.

One of those weird cases where "Oppression and unequal rights is good actually" is allowed to let slide.

Poseidon00

Arcane

The Goblin Rebellions were a series of rebellions in which the goblin population of the wizarding world revolted against discrimination and prejudice toward their kind by wizards and witches. They were most prevalent during the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, but even in modern times, there were subversive goblin groups working in secret against the British Ministry of Magic, according to the Daily Prophet. The historical rebellions had been described as "bloody and vicious".

The Goblin Rebellions were one of the most important topics Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry students studied in History of Magic. For the final exams during their first year, they had to memorise the dates of the Goblin Rebellions. During his fourth-year exams, Ron Weasley could not remember all the names of the goblin rebels and invented some; by luck, he guessed Urg the Unclean's name correctly. In his History of Magic Ordinary Wizarding Level in 1996, Harry Potter skipped question four, which asked whether wand legislation contributed to the goblin riots of the eighteenth century. Given the anger expressed by some goblins, such as Griphook, about wizards denying goblins the right to use wands, it may indeed have been a contributing factor to past rebellions.

According to the WOMBAT, these rebellions may have occurred because of lack of goblin representation on the Wizengamot, attempts to enslave goblins as house-elves, stripping of wand privileges, wizard attempts to control Gringotts, or the brutal goblin slayings by Yardley Platt.

One of those weird cases where "Oppression and unequal rights is good actually" is allowed to let slide.

I remember in the books every time Hermoine (now represented by every woman ever) started crying about how "house elves" shouldn't be slaves, she was always met with a kind of condescending mock sympathy. "The poor dear, she doesn't understand that this is GOOD for the house elves!" and the house elves agreed that it was good for them. Incredibly based to be honest

I remember in the books every time Hermoine (now represented by every woman ever) started crying about how "house elves" shouldn't be slaves, she was always met with a kind of condescending mock sympathy. "The poor dear, she doesn't understand that this is GOOD for the house elves!" and the house elves agreed that it was good for them. Incredibly based to be honest
during my last google search to remember the goblin thing, I noticed that their version of the gnomes are seen as pests who invade your garden and "de-gnoming" is done by physically picking them up and throwing them out of said space. Maybe I have to read these books after all.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
a-Pg-ZBv-Q-700bwp.webp

ezgif-com-gif-maker.jpg

:d1p::d1p::d1p:

vota DC

Augur
weren't goblins in the harry potter universe cartoonishly jewish? big noses, controlling the banks and such? There was something of an uprising because of it, but nothing comparable to people's reactions to Rowling's comments about trans people.
People? They are pedobot of retardera forum.
By the way they aren't that cartoon...they are a class after all
https://spgame.fandom.com/wiki/Jew
Saying jew is just like saying fighter or mage. Since you can play D&D with Robin Hood or Floyd as thief you can play as jew with goblin or overpowered David giantslayer build.

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
You know, I kind of wish games that had a fleshed out Evil path had options like this, especially the right one. Just make the asshole simulation complete. You can genocide every NPC in the game, but what if you just want to show your disdain for them without going complete murder hobo all the time?

This was more or less the appeal of the ‘renegade’ behavior in Mass Effect, best thing about the game for me.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
You know, I kind of wish games that had a fleshed out Evil path had options like this, especially the right one. Just make the asshole simulation complete. You can genocide every NPC in the game, but what if you just want to show your disdain for them without going complete murder hobo all the time?

This was more or less the appeal of the ‘renegade’ behavior in Mass Effect, best thing about the game for me.
I just liked punching that Chinese reporter every time she came on. :lol:
Or whatever she was. Actually, didn't she have an Arabic name? Whatever.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

The on you can punch is: https://masseffect.fandom.com/wiki/Khalisah_al-Jilani

The asian reporter is: https://masseffect.fandom.com/wiki/Emily_Wong

The latter of which I was really hoping to get to fuck at some point, but sadly never materialized.

Mauman

Learned

The latter of which I was really hoping to get to fuck at some point, but sadly never materialized.
I never forgave bioware for killing Wong and replacing her with Chobit....or whatever the hell that gal's name from ign was.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

I never forgave bioware for killing Wong and replacing her with Chobit....or whatever the hell that gal's name from ign was.
She died? ... super memorable since I thought both reporters were the same person. :lol:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

She died? ... super memorable since I thought both reporters were the same person. :lol:

She literally ramming speeded

a Reaper. To no effect on the Reaper, but it's the thought that counts.

I don't remember that, but sounds pretty bad ass.

More bad-ass than anything in this british children's RPG will probably be.

Gotta stay on topic I guess.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The game with pronouns and nigger propaganda isn't woke. Totally. Fucking degenerates moving the 'overton window' every 5 seconds these days.
That is correct, just as games from the 00s with black people and queers weren't woke either.

Fictive Cunt

Novice
All this nonsense is predicate on on how the game plays out with the NPCs.

Character creation, sure. Make a black lady with a man's voice, ok. Make your own transsexual backstory, whatever. It's an RPG. That's the player, and it's been done before.

However if the school is filled with minorities I would expect at least a passing reference as to why they are present in Victorian England. Are the black kids all former-slave babies, or are they children of powerful African wizards? (Insert every possible question for every race here.) The optimistic answer from these kids is "my parents are super rich [magical] legitimate businessmen/government officials in my home country, and pay a shit-ton to send and house me here." Hogwarts is not a free school. I imagine there would be greater tuition/taxes for foreign students, even of the magic type. Maybe the low interest from investment of student fees might even lead malicious Hogwarts accountants to start persecuting innocent Goblin bankers. Of course the devs wont care/want to think about any of that. Maybe we'll be surprised. Probably not. We'll find out soon.

Mauman

Learned
Harry Potter is a children's book series with childish nonsensical world-building, what's one more silly thing?
It's called suspension of disbelief. Having a bunch of non-whites at a British school in the 1800's strains it to the breaking point.

Yes, yes, blah blah fucking blah magic blah. I can deal with that because magic is established by the rules of the literature's universe. OUTSIDE of that, it's supposed to be the real world. PC-history is not supported by that. At all.

Besides, the books established that there are wizard schools all over the world. Non-white students should mostly be at the schools where said minorities are majorities.

That isn't to say that their can't be non-white students at Hogwarts in the 1800's. There were after all non-white people in England at that time. The numbers were WAY WAY less than it'd be in modern times. And perhaps there could be transfer students, or cultural exchange students.

But I NEED an explanation to it, because otherwise it fucking makes NO sense.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom