Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hogwarts Legacy - Harry Potter open world action RPG prequel set in the late 1800s

Delterius

Arcane
Rowling is revolutionary for a British woman due to her anti inbreeding stance. Basically a republican and a modern day Augustus trying to restore roman civilization on an island blighted by germanism.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
So apparently there is no evil route and the game is essentially locked to two Mass Effect 3-type endings. This despite dark arts spells being the best combat spells in the game. Also apparently you can just avada kadabra the entire enemy roster and nobody bats an eye.

10/10, sold a bajillian copies.

:dead:

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
So apparently there is no evil route and the game is essentially locked to two Mass Effect 3-type endings. This despite dark arts spells being the best combat spells in the game. Also apparently you can just avada kadabra the entire enemy roster and nobody bats an eye.

10/10, sold a bajillian copies.

:dead:
Remember 10 years ago people had to release a free DLC because Mass Effect 3 had 3 bullshit endings, and they had to expand? 10 years later, and no one bats an eye.

Sarathiour

Cipher
I am not talking about groups of interests trying to exert their influence.
What exactly are those people trying to influence, what is the endgoal, and what are the consequences of those ? Imagine you had some objective that is going to bring some nefarious consequences along, you would only reluctantly admit those, even if you were well aware of it, especially the more so if you actively despise you interlocutor.
That's about right, except for the last part - sales do matter when it comes to price of shares. Look at Cyberpunk 2077's release, for example.
I should have put more emphasis on the solely. I'm going to try clarifying this : as a whole, and especially for the biggest product, entertainment is now longer about how much you can sell, but about how much you can influence. Games, movies, any form of media really have become advertisement themselves, and the stock worth is based upon that : to what extend does you product impact people. As it is now, the highest bider for such thing are western power with the current ideology. But even a quick glance at rising power (such as China) should make it clear that this is entirely negotiable. If tomorrow another ideology supplement the current one, the shift would happen rather quickly, albeit after some heavy purging of precedent activism.
Is that so?:
It is so :
Thus, a formal fallacy is a fallacy where deduction goes wrong, and is no longer a logical process. This may not affect the truth of the conclusion, since validity and truth are separate in formal logic.
A formal fallacy is contrasted with an informal fallacy which may have a valid logical form and yet be unsound because one or more premises are false. A formal fallacy; however, may have a true premise, but a false conclusion.
The meaning of fallacy have kinda diverged from his antique root, when it was a term strictly restricted for debating logic. Nowadays, people indeed tend to use as a synonymous for a false statement.
It's basically the distinction between formal and empirical evidences, and it's shame that only few people are able to tell those apart
Even if so it's more a sensible approach, in my opinion
It's an approach based on empirical evidences, which is perfectly fine for pretty much every subject that is not purely mathematics in nature. Though I would not use it when politic or ideology are concerned, as it's in human nature to obfuscate shit when such topic are brought up.

Delterius

Arcane
Also apparently you can just avada kadabra the entire enemy roster and nobody bats an eye.
time honored rpg mechanic they stole from dragon age: introduce evil magic let the player use it and don't implement consequences for it

timestamped feels like a less complex version of dragon age inquisition. a third person shooter without aiming and without party members. can you feel the magic yet

as bad and somewhat uninspired the combat seems to be I really hate the art direction. granted there isn't much you can do with 'realistic real world wizard' stuff, especially set in hogwarts' environs. but the lighting feels so washed out. everything looks super flat

Sarathiour

Cipher
The Uganda which keeps telling you they are superior because they don't need wands.
Could someone actually link me a video where she's indeed presented or present herself as coming from uganda ? Because that would rather funny if it's true.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
The Uganda which keeps telling you they are superior because they don't need wands.
Could someone actually link me a video where she's indeed presented or present herself as coming from uganda ? Because that would rather funny if it's true.
https://hogwarts-legacy.fandom.com/wiki/Natsai_Onai
Wise, quick-witted, and possessed of a need to seek justice, Natsai grew up in Matabeleland, Africa where she attended Uagadou - the largest wizarding school in the world. She transferred to Hogwarts when her mother became the school's Divination professor and is adapting to her new life in Scotland.

So she's actually from Zimbabwe, unless there's another student that better fits the description. Nevermind, I didn't bother reading the rest of the wiki because I couldn't be assed.

The better question is why Matabeleland, a province that has less than a million people in 2023, has the largest wizard school in the world.

Last edited:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Also apparently you can just avada kadabra the entire enemy roster and nobody bats an eye.
time honored rpg mechanic they stole from dragon age: introduce evil magic let the player use it and don't implement consequences for it

timestamped feels like a less complex version of dragon age inquisition. a third person shooter without aiming and without party members. can you feel the magic yet

as bad and somewhat uninspired the combat seems to be I really hate the art direction. granted there isn't much you can do with 'realistic real world wizard' stuff, especially set in hogwarts' environs. but the lighting feels so washed out. everything looks super flat

It kind of looks like a faster, ranged, Baby's first Souls game. That may just be the health bars, target lock, and rollrollrollrolling though.

EDIT: Re: No. Watch the video. Also. Yes.

ferratilis

Magister
I'm not even playing this game, and still it provides good entertainment. Mostly by watching different gaming websites and subreddits have meltdowns. Kotaku is having a meltdown over "rampant transphobia" in Steam forums:
9535e60a7f995c077761fe8ee91881ad.jpg

Also, does anyone else feel the gameplay in this looks almost the same as in that other shitty game that came out recently, Forspoken? That one is also about magic.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Also, does anyone else feel the gameplay in this looks almost the same as in that other shitty game that came out recently, Forspoken? That one is also about magic.
It looks more fun than Forspoken is said to be imo. Other than that, what little I've heard of the character's dialog doesn't make me want to punch her in the nose, so there's that.

Slaver1

Savant

Ah, yes. Let's go deeper with this. Rowling started writing Harry Potter years in advance because the Shadow Government already planned for the mass immigration to the Western countires to happen. It's all part of the carefully orchestrated plan laid down year by year, decade by decade and century by century. Because everything has to be part of a meticulous plan. It simply can't be that the whole "diverse multiracial society" was promoted in the game not because it was part of political correctness long before any mass immigrations happened. This must also mean the war in Syria was caused with this specific event in mind! The dots are connectin

7awljl.jpg

Cross

Arcane
But being pure-blood has no bearing on magical ability. As far as I can tell, the offspring of a Muggle and a half-blood wizard is always magical. So pure-bloods aren't actually preserving anything by inbreeding. Squibs seem to be more common in pure-blood families, bizarrely enough.
I don't think the story outright asserts that magic is genetic, only that characters believe that it is in some sense. For all we know it could be epigenetic or environmental or whatever.
I don't know what you're trying to say. Rowling lists the bloodlines of her characters, so we can infer how it works. Magical ability always transfers from parent to child, no matter if the parent is half- or pureblood. I Googled it to see if there were any exceptions, but apparently not even the most die-hard Harry Potter fans dispute this.

People don't exactly inbreed for fun, considering the birth defects. Yet inbreeding in Harry Potter is so common that it has its own dedicated wiki article: https://harrypotter.fandom.com/wiki/Inbreeding

In the past, nobles practiced inbreeding as a way to maintain political within the same family. No such justification for inbreeding exists in the Harry Potter setting since, as we've established, being pure-blood has no bearing on magical ability. Half-bloods weren't second class citizens either, in fact they occupied the highest positions. There was never any stigma associated with a pure-blood marrying a half-blood, like there used to be with a mixed-race couple in the real world.

Rowling basically wrote a story where people inbreed and let their children suffer horrible birth defects, for no advantage or gain.

Last edited:

Sarathiour

Cipher
https://hogwarts-legacy.fandom.com/wiki/Natsai_Onai
Wise, quick-witted, and possessed of a need to seek justice, Natsai grew up in Matabeleland, Africa where she attended Uagadou - the largest wizarding school in the world. She transferred to Hogwarts when her mother became the school's Divination professor and is adapting to her new life in Scotland.

So she's actually from Zimbabwe, unless there's another student that better fits the description. The better question is why Matabeleland, a province that has less than a million people in 2023, has the largest wizard school in the world.
SHE ?!!!
holy shit
That's at least ME:andromeda level of fuck up.

Btw :
Natsai was born and raised in Uganda and attended Uagadou, the largest wizarding school in the world and where magic was done without wands.
the British government to annex Buganda and adjoining territories to create the Uganda Protectorate in 1894
Hogwarts Legacy is set in 1899
Born and raise in a country that did not even exist when she was born.

Harthwain

Magister
What exactly are those people trying to influence, what is the endgoal, and what are the consequences of those ? Imagine you had some objective that is going to bring some nefarious consequences along, you would only reluctantly admit those, even if you were well aware of it, especially the more so if you actively despise you interlocutor.
koala.png

I have no idea what you're trying to say here. It feels like you're following your own train of thought that isn't connected with mine and I don't think this is my fault as I made myself clear what I meant in my earlier post.

I should have put more emphasis on the solely. I'm going to try clarifying this : as a whole, and especially for the biggest product, entertainment is now longer about how much you can sell, but about how much you can influence.
1) You mean "no", not "now", correct?

2) I disagree. Money makes the world go round and selling is very important aspect of making money. Activision-Blizzard? It's all about money. Sure, some people are about influence (as it can lead to money), but as far as the gaming industry is concerned I'd argue it's mostly about money. There are better ways to gain influence after all.

It's an approach based on empirical evidences, which is perfectly fine for pretty much every subject that is not purely mathematics in nature. Though I would not use it when politic or ideology are concerned, as it's in human nature to obfuscate shit when such topic are brought up.
Again, I am not sure what you're trying to say here. I don't really feel the need to "obfuscate shit". I may be wrong, and I am usually the first one to admit if so, but misleading people is not my kind of thing. It defeats the purpose of having a discussion if it ain't honest.

I thought the animations and graphics are pretty good. Maybe it depends on settings. And while combat may be simple, I do admit that actions have a certain "bang" to them. I can see why the general populace likes it.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Remember 10 years ago people had to release a free DLC because Mass Effect 3 had 3 bullshit endings, and they had to expand? 10 years later, and no one bats an eye.
I don't recall the marketing for HL hyping up c&c, unlike the ME trilogy which absolutely did. No one expects it so no one cares.

Gerrard

Arcane
The best thing is if this game was made by Ubisoft, but otherwise exactly the same, 90% of these people would be crying how it's another generic open world Ubisoft game.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I don't recall the marketing for HL hyping up c&c, unlike the ME trilogy which absolutely did. No one expects it so no one cares.

While I agree that nobody with realistic expectations should expect C&C, marketing did not get the memo.

From steam game description:

Your character is a student who holds the key to an ancient secret that threatens to tear the wizarding world apart. Make allies, battle Dark wizards, and ultimately decide the fate of the wizarding world. Your legacy is what you make of it. Live the Unwritten.

Gahbreeil

Learned
I wish the game was about starting Hogwart's 1st year, going through the entire education instead of the storyline.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom