Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hogwarts Legacy - Harry Potter open world action RPG prequel set in the late 1800s

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Something I've been thinking about, is whether or not the implosion of western media in recent years is more conducive to independents who want to break into media, or less.

The reasoning is that there is a large, relatively untapped audience who is bored to death with mediocre, corporate bullshit. So it makes sense that true independents can make hay while the sun shines.

:philosoraptor:

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Entertainment, be it tv shows, movies, comics, games spread degeneracy. As said it starts slowly with at first more subtle and later more pronounced messaging. Diversity is good, multiculturalism is good, homosexuality is normal, transsexuality is normal etc. Its all about slowly shaping and normalizing public opinion on degeneracy.
Maybe I am fabulously optimistic, but I think people aren't influenced that easily. Sure, people will swallow some "progressive" elements in small doses, but going full woke? I have my doubts.

You dont need to have all people or even majority of them go "full woke" what you need is enough people to accept degeneracy as normality. How many people today support or dont care about gay marriage something that was immensely controversial just couple of years ago? When people become indifferent toward certain thing they will allow those few loud people who want something have their way for the sake of peace. You appease others with things you were programmed to not care about hoping that when they get what they want they will leave you alone. But those peoples greed cant be sated by just one thing, they always want more until they consume everything they crave and they crave a lot.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Entertainment, be it tv shows, movies, comics, games spread degeneracy. As said it starts slowly with at first more subtle and later more pronounced messaging. Diversity is good, multiculturalism is good, homosexuality is normal, transsexuality is normal etc. Its all about slowly shaping and normalizing public opinion on degeneracy.
Maybe I am fabulously optimistic, but I think people aren't influenced that easily. Sure, people will swallow some "progressive" elements in small doses, but going full woke? I have my doubts.

You dont need to have all people or even majority of them go "full woke" what you need is enough people to accept degeneracy as normality. How many people today support or dont care about gay marriage something that was immensely controversial just couple of years ago? When people become indifferent toward certain thing they will allow those few loud people who want something have their way for the sake of peace. You appease others with things you were programmed to not care about hoping that when they get what they want they will leave you alone. But those peoples greed cant be sated by just one thing, they always want more until they consume everything they crave and they crave a lot.

Yep. And the deeper level (that someone who wrote about life in East Germany, forget the author, talked about), is that you become ashamed of how much you're compromising your principles, which makes you even more of a puppet. That's the nasty, psychologically manipulative edge of it.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's a magic school created by a liberal who loves immigrants and racial minorities. Of course the heroes in her story aren't going to be bigots in a way she isn't.

Does your back hurt from moving those goalposts so far?

You claimed that it was "rooted in history", which is utterly absurd. That was the point of my response to you. Of course an American AAA game studio in 2023 isn't going to give a shit about historical accuracy, nobody sane questioned that, but "rooted in history" it most certainly ain't.
"Rooted in history" doesn't mean "historical."

Rowling has full creative control over the series. If she had a problem with multiracial Hogwarts (which she obviously does not, judging by her many tweets on the subject) she would have issued an ultimatum.

The author wasn’t involved in the game’s development but she still owns the Harry Potter license and will benefit from sales. Rowling’s creative agency, the Blair Partnership, did work with the developers on creative decisions throughout the project.
A representative for the Blair Partnership said in a statement that the agency was “proud of the work Warner Bros. Games and Avalanche have done on this ground-breaking game and the part we have played in the development of it.”

Lambach

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
"Rooted in history" doesn't mean "historical."

Wait, it's not historical? Are you telling me magic doesn't exist and schools for Wizards aren't real? Damn. :negative:

Yeah, obviously it's a made-up fantasy world that operates by its own rules (or Rowling's rules, technically), but there's no real-world basis to claim that British boarding schools were racially diverse in the 19th century. It's neither historical nor rooted in history, it's rooted in Rowling's imagination, simple as.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
The real explanation of why book-Hogwarts is so white is because Rowling wrote them 30 years ago. She's made it pretty clear over the years that she'd have added other ethnicities to Hogwarts by literally retconning stuff on the fly during interviews.
Yeah no kidding. It's obviously politics. Same reason every fucking TV show about Victorian era Britain has niggers everywhere. I'm simply shooting down the ad hoc explanation that it's in some way related to British colonialism.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
It's obviously politics.
and also because britain has a lot of ethnic communities today. the prime minister is a bengali
Like I said, politics. They brownwash all depictions of British history because they want subsequent generations to believe Britain was always multiracial, therefore it's wrong for them to oppose the further browning of the island.

Unrelated: This game uses the Warcraft font for a lot of its text, and I can't unsee that.

Last edited:

Lambach

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Delterius If you don't believe Butter , some BBC executive said the same thing (though with different wording) when he was asked why BBC keeps adding vibrant diversity in their shows/movies set in places and time periods where it doesn't make historical sense (e.g. why is every third resident of a small town in ~1200 England midnight-black). :M

It's not a conspiracy theory, it's BBC's official position on the matter, and I imagine most media companies are in agreement.

How does the choice between nazis, white knights, normies or nerds in the sorting hat affects your gameplay and story?
As far as I know:
1)you get a different common room - Hufflepuff has the most cosy, rustic one, Ravenclaw has warhammer high elves-themed, Gryffindor is just like in the movies, and Slytherin has the most lame 'spooky' one
2)different questline at the beginning of the game - for some reason Hufflepuff also gets what seems like the most interesting one, they visit Azkaban(?)
3)your housemates will aid you in the final battle
I think thats it.

Mauman

Scholar
Never go full retard, HP feature a single black kid as a named character (and quite late in the series), and you only see him in the movie because the actor of one of drago malefoy pal was booted for drugs traffic (and unlawful possession of a knife).
Diverse multiracial society is always a retcon of the original story, because it's "current time "forever now and also in the past. Rowling was more than happy to oblige with it until she's been told that criminalizing rape is transphobia.

The first step and most important step of any kind of pushback is always to expose the lie. European society never was about diversity and sexual tolerance until the last decade, what you're seeing now in all form of media attempt at retconning history and culture to fit the most recent ideology. It's a processes that happen all time time, which doesn't mean you should partake in it.
British_Empire_1890.jpg

Current year? Absolutely. But it's rooted in history. Everyone at the school is a Briton. Don't like it, take it up with the British Empire for conquering those specific peoples, thus absorbing them into their empire.
Keep the map around, I'm waiting for someone to confirm that there is some wizard or witch coming from Uganda in the game.
Actually, the primary black witch (and her mother who's an instructor) ARE transplants from the African school (so possibly from Uganda).

Their presence I have no problem with as (I mentioned earlier) there's an ACTUAL FUCKING EXPLANATION as to why they're there :P

That being said, I still kinda wish the game would take it a bit more seriously from a historical context, but I suppose that'd be too much to ask for a game such as this.

How does the choice between nazis, white knights, normies or nerds in the sorting hat affects your gameplay and story?
As far as I know:
1)you get a different common room - Hufflepuff has the most cosy, rustic one, Ravenclaw has warhammer high elves-themed, Gryffindor is just like in the movies, and Slytherin has the most lame 'spooky' one
2)different questline at the beginning of the game - for some reason Hufflepuff also gets what seems like the most interesting one, they visit Azkaban(?)
3)your housemates will aid you in the final battle
I think thats it.
Every house has an unique questline as well it seems. Looks like Slytherin one is to visit the mental asylum for magic users, at least based on how the game brings it up quite often in relation to a character?

Never go full retard, HP feature a single black kid as a named character (and quite late in the series), and you only see him in the movie because the actor of one of drago malefoy pal was booted for drugs traffic (and unlawful possession of a knife).
Diverse multiracial society is always a retcon of the original story, because it's "current time "forever now and also in the past. Rowling was more than happy to oblige with it until she's been told that criminalizing rape is transphobia.

The first step and most important step of any kind of pushback is always to expose the lie. European society never was about diversity and sexual tolerance until the last decade, what you're seeing now in all form of media attempt at retconning history and culture to fit the most recent ideology. It's a processes that happen all time time, which doesn't mean you should partake in it.
British_Empire_1890.jpg

Current year? Absolutely. But it's rooted in history. Everyone at the school is a Briton. Don't like it, take it up with the British Empire for conquering those specific peoples, thus absorbing them into their empire.
Keep the map around, I'm waiting for someone to confirm that there is some wizard or witch coming from Uganda in the game.
Actually, the primary black witch (and her mother who's an instructor) ARE transplants from the African school (so possibly from Uganda).

Their presence I have no problem with as (I mentioned earlier) there's an ACTUAL FUCKING EXPLANATION as to why they're their :P

That being said, I still kinda wish the game would take it a bit more seriously from a historical context, but I suppose that'd be too much to ask for a game such as this.
Did you also notice that the game has the best Quidditch players be... Japanese? There's somewhere a line alluding about Japan producing fine pilots. Kamikaze wizards are CANON!

Harthwain

Magister
So the agenda is not hidden, but calling it a conspiracy is nonetheless true because what, reality can't be that bad ?
You're missing the point here (or I misunderstand what you're trying to say). I am not talking about groups of interests trying to exert their influence. I am talking about building extraordinary narratives when simple explanations would suffice. Not everything has to be planned or connected. This is why I was talking about accident and chaos being the part of life.

Your explanation, was, if I got it right, that it's either just a fad or a PR move. [...] The PR angle is already way closer to the truth. Globalism and equalism are the prominent ideology of the current western world, spearheaded by academia, media and entertainment. The current goal of most of those companies is the growth of their stock and bonds, and those are now longer solely determined by the brunt number of sales.
That's about right, except for the last part - sales do matter when it comes to price of shares. Look at Cyberpunk 2077's relase, for example.

A fallacy means that this is not a formal logical demonstration, not that is false.
Is that so?:
Fallacy
a mistaken belief, especially one based on unsound argument.

a failure in reasoning which renders an argument invalid.

Faulty reasoning; misleading or unsound argument.
By the way, do you know that Occam's razor is also a logical fallacy ?
Even if so it's more a sensible approach, in my opinion, than building overly complex structures encompassing way too many elements that tends to strain credulity.

But those peoples greed cant be sated by just one thing, they always want more until they consume everything they crave and they crave a lot.
I agree with this much.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

British_Empire_1890.jpg

So, genuine question, are there a proportionate amount of Canadians and Australians in the game?

Darkwind

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.

British_Empire_1890.jpg

I'm assuming you are aware that there literally IS a witch from Uganda as one of the primary NPCs? The numinous negro is one of the two main NPCs you can team up with in the early game. So I guess she was one of these British subjects that came north? There are also lots of pajeets & changs too so basically looks more like modern day London than anything from the 19th century.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I will give 1 positive thing to this game: the day/night cycle looks great. Same with the season changes.

That's about it. Everything else is so mediocre it hurts.

Lambach

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
The Uganda which keeps telling you they are superior because they don't need wands.

IIRC, wands aren't needed in general, but they greatly help to focus and control one's magic. I think it was stated somewhere that Ooga-boogas are actively gimping their spellcasting capabilities because they refuse to break with tradition and start using wands.

Cross

Arcane
It's a magic school created by a liberal
its a magic school created by four wizards, one of which was an extreme race supremacist and the other three just rolled with it. so that's not it.

if the colonial elites of the british empire could study in oxbridge while still suffering from discrimination then some of the wizards of the empire probably went to hogwarts in the 1800s. not in spite of the paranoid racism of europe at the time, completely regardless of it. the wizards are a parallel society. they are racist against muggles, muggle half borns and other magical creatures. it doesn't matter if your all wizard family came from senegal or liverpool. the wizards in the harry potter universe are so isolated from normal culture they barely understand it.

somehow people missed the fact that this game is about the centennial pogrom against the goblins who gives a shit if you're black.

the wizards in the harry potter universe are so isolated from normal culture they barely understand it.

That mostly applies to Purebloods, of whom there aren't many left.
Exactly, which is even more damning. Wizard society in general is racist against magical creatures other than wizards. Some wizards are specifically racist against muggles and half bloods. The purebloods on top of it care about preserving their bloodlines through inbreeding. The more racist the wizard is the more isolated they are from the racial politics of normal people, which are entirely beneath them. They wouldn't care if your pureblood family is from the rest of the empire. What they care about is wether you moved to Britain and your pureblood daughter married a muggle briton. The white briton is dirt beneath their feet, the pureblood wizard from Egypt is their equal.
But being pure-blood has no bearing on magical ability. As far as I can tell, the offspring of a Muggle and a half-blood wizard is always magical. So pure-bloods aren't actually preserving anything by inbreeding. Squibs seem to be more common in pure-blood families, bizarrely enough.

There are obvious differences between people of different races in the real world, but there seem to be no differences between a pure-blood and a half-blood.

It's really amazing how shitty of a writer Rowling is that she even failed at writing her ham-fisted racism/Nazism allegory into the story.

Delterius

Arcane
But being pure-blood has no bearing on magical ability. As far as I can tell, the offspring of a Muggle and a half-blood wizard is always magical. So pure-bloods aren't actually preserving anything by inbreeding. Squibs seem to be more common in pure-blood families, bizarrely enough.
I don't think the story outright asserts that magic is genetic, only that characters believe that it is in some sense. For all we know it could be epigenetic or environmental or whatever. And yeah JK is not a good world builder and there's tons of reasons why. Nonetheless that's besides the point. Wizard racism has nothing to do with a wizard's skin color, but wether you can do magic and wether you are a wizard and not a goblin.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom