Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Hollow Knight

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
So, just discovered a mimic. Nice touch. (Killed it.)

That Crystal Guardian boss was trivial, I don't know what I was thinking.

Got the superdash. Now I'm doing all I can to avoid going to Soul Master who just destroys me. No idea what's going on in that fight. It's Mantis Lords time, then!

Elwro

Arcane
Also: can you reach the peak of the Peak without some double jump/ huge jump item? I read some people who claimed it was possible with just the superdash, but I can't find any specifics

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Also: can you reach the peak of the Peak without some double jump/ huge jump item? I read some people who claimed it was possible with just the superdash, but I can't find any specifics
You'll get double jump, why force it? But if you really want to you can bypass double jump in some instances, by luring flying enemies and using the extra push from an overhead hit.

Tigranes

Arcane
Looks like Elwro is pushing ahead nicely. The game does that, you feel stuck for a bit but later get upgrades, but also, you see your player skill improve until the boss/area becomes much easier. It's a nice feeling.

Wrapped up my playthrough at 108%. I'm not doing the flower, final pantheon, or grinding to finish journal & 2400 dream - no point. It's still a great game, and again you feel the difference as your own player skill improves, e.g. Grimm going from mega-frustrating to comfortable, and doing Trial of Fool in just couple of tries. Unbreakable Strength + Quick Slash does let you facetank a lot more, though.

Very satisfied that after so much trouble couple years ago, this time White Palace took less than an hour total. I'd do Path of Pain but not when it forces you back all the way without checkpoints.

Looks like Elwro is pushing ahead nicely. The game does that, you feel stuck for a bit but later get upgrades, but also, you see your player skill improve until the boss/area becomes much easier. It's a nice feeling.

Wrapped up my playthrough at 108%. I'm not doing the flower, final pantheon, or grinding to finish journal & 2400 dream - no point. It's still a great game, and again you feel the difference as your own player skill improves, e.g. Grimm going from mega-frustrating to comfortable, and doing Trial of Fool in just couple of tries. Unbreakable Strength + Quick Slash does let you facetank a lot more, though.

Very satisfied that after so much trouble couple years ago, this time White Palace took less than an hour total. I'd do Path of Pain but not when it forces you back all the way without checkpoints.

Flower and Trial of the Fool are actually not too bad by endgame, imo. Certainly far easier than Pantheon or Path of Pain.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected

But there are checkpoints in PoP, it's just that every section is extremely difficult, especially toward the end. Equip hive charm and you have basically infinite retries ( excapt for the last part, if you die you have to redo the whole thing, but it's not hard unless you get nervous and mess up like me the first time).
Flower is easy , just play super safe against every enemy. Or even better , cheese it by starting from destination point and killing every enemy in the path. Then pick the flower and now you only have to be careful for traps and pits.
if you managed to do 4th pantheon you can do Pantheon of Hallownest for sure. It 's just a bit a waste of time. But once u unlock AR you can practice in the hall how many time you want, even in ascended to make the real fight easier. I found AR easier than PV, just a bit more rng. Once you got the mechanics of the fight you should can complete it 60-70 % of times ( that 30-40 % is really bad rng). but once you complete it and see the true ending the satisfaction is immense

Elwro

Arcane
Hehe, beat the Mantis Lords on my first try. (Soul Warrior took me 20+, Hornet 50+). I'm a bit reluctant to say this, but maybe I'm getting the hang of this game after all.

Elwro

Arcane
Cut through the Deepnest to Fungal Wastes and the Moss Prophet on the first try; the room with 3 mimics was nice. I understand the infinitely respawning burrowers will be my source of Geo now?

Cut through the Deepnest to Fungal Wastes and the Moss Prophet on the first try; the room with 3 mimics was nice. I understand the infinitely respawning burrowers will be my source of Geo now?

Eh... unless you’re dying and failing to get your shade a lot, geo is really never going to be something you need to farm. The Grubfather alone can give you enough for most of the needed upgrades.

And if you
metagame mirielle
geo is a complete non-issue.

Elwro

Arcane
....OK.

So I need to time my superdash so that when it hits the wall, I jump over it (and some spikes) exactly so I can nailjump the Garpede which has been traversing the area at the same time? (Deepnest, near the tram.)

Hm. Nice...

I guess I could try nailjumping the Garpede from the start...

Tigranes

Arcane

But there are checkpoints in PoP, it's just that every section is extremely difficult, especially toward the end. Equip hive charm and you have basically infinite retries ( excapt for the last part, if you die you have to redo the whole thing, but it's not hard unless you get nervous and mess up like me the first time).
Flower is easy , just play super safe against every enemy. Or even better , cheese it by starting from destination point and killing every enemy in the path. Then pick the flower and now you only have to be careful for traps and pits.
if you managed to do 4th pantheon you can do Pantheon of Hallownest for sure. It 's just a bit a waste of time. But once u unlock AR you can practice in the hall how many time you want, even in ascended to make the real fight easier. I found AR easier than PV, just a bit more rng. Once you got the mechanics of the fight you should can complete it 60-70 % of times ( that 30-40 % is really bad rng). but once you complete it and see the true ending the satisfaction is immense

PoP - I nearly got through the first section, and realised that with a lot of repetition for each section, yes, I could do it - but I felt I wouldn't enjoy it. Whereas WP, even when I was dying 50 times on one jump, I knew that once I mastered it, there were more reasonable stops on the way. I think it's fine for PoP to exist in its current form for more hardcore platformers, though!

Flower I didn't think is difficult, I just thought, why would I spend my time doing this? Just completely uninteresting. Same goes for 5th pantheon. If I did enjoy the process of it a bit more, yes, I agree that it's worth it to do and have the satisfaction - I got that from 4th pantheon and other challenges.

I don't think any Garpede nailjumping is strictly required? Where are you?

Elwro

Arcane
Tigranes , I'm in Deepnest, starting from the pool bench, go right and up. I was hoping I'd find a tram pass there, since I'm fed up with finding unusable stations. But if it's not there (it isn't, right?) and nothing mandatory is, I'll go elsewhere...

Tigranes

Arcane
Elwro Deepnest has a tram pass yes - if you want general directions,
directly west of the bench where you find Cloth the friendly warrior dude
. But I would say Deepnest is one area you can always leave until you've done other things, generally. I also tend to find it the most annoying area, although nothing in it is particularly dangerous.

Yeah Deepnest is great the first time through due to the fantastic atmosphere (on my first time through I didn’t have the lantern which made it particularly nail biting), but on repeat playthroughs it's a bit of a chore.

I find
Nosk
to especially to be an exercise in tedium, which is too bad since he probably has the best buildup in the game.

Last edited:

Elwro

Arcane
Found the Hive by pure luck. Intending to use the Superdash, I pressed 'a' instead of 's' and fired my spell into a wall which disappeared. Huh.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
Found the Hive by pure luck. Intending to use the Superdash, I pressed 'a' instead of 's' and fired my spell into a wall which disappeared. Huh.
iirc in that point there are a lot of flying bees and most optimal way to kill them is vengeful spirit. So one is supposed to see the enemies , fire the spell and discover the secret wall. Pretty smart design

Tigranes

Arcane
Yeah Deepnest is great the first time through due to the fantastic atmosphere (on my first time through I didn’t have the lantern which made it particularly nail biting), but on repeat playthroughs it's a bit of a chore.

I find
Nosk
to especially to be an exercise in tedium, which is too bad since he probably has the best buildup in the game.

The buildup is fantastic. Something about it gives me the chills even on repeat playthroughs.

Isn't the battle mostly about standing in the nook just next to the raised platform, occasionally moving to the other nook?

It's fun how a lot of the secrets are designed for that to happen. You crack the secret wall while blasting a moneypot or an enemy. Or you use the noise of the grub to suspect something is up.

The buildup is fantastic. Something about it gives me the chills even on repeat playthroughs.

Isn't the battle mostly about standing in the nook just next to the raised platform, occasionally moving to the other nook?

Yeah, it's mechanically one of the simpler fights in the game, but it also takes forever (especially if you haven't upgraded the nail a few times) because the optimum strategy just involves turtling and getting one or two hits on him every 10 seconds or so. It's also a little more RNG-biased than any other fight I can think of with the randomness of his corruption fountain spread.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom