Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Honest Opinion on Half-Life 2

Hell Swarm

Educated
You guys are getting as bad as the trannies at Doom world.

I started replaying Half-life 2 and I went from it's a great game to it's jank after about 2 hours. The physics system is constantly presented in ways to ruin the flow of the game with no benefit. The first time you have to smash some planks to progress is a tutorial, the 10th time it's a tedious exercise in changing weapons. The set pieces and various physics interactions in the early section are in general lack luster 20 years after release. They reuse the same explosive barrel into barnacles section at least 3 times and barrels blocking corridors isn't fun so why do it? The worse offense is a lack of object turning. Having to drop barrels into things to make them turn upright sucks.

Alyx is annoying and talks like a Marvel character, while everyone you meet says how great she is. She's often padding out the story segments saying nothing while you wait for her to open the next door and progress.

The story segments are painful because the writers are writing semi-comedic characters in a post apocalypse world. Why would you ever have a pet head crab or let it loose among delicate scientific equipment? Barney is the only likeable character so far. The game suffers greatly from a lack of NPC models in the opening sequence. When you leave one room only to walk into another with the exact same guy and voice it's weird.

The ladders barely function. Why do Valve suck at ladders?

I wouldn't call it a bad game, but I wouldn't call it a good one either. It's aged terribly but I'm still enjoying the parts between smashing planks.

seco

Educated
You guys are getting as bad as the trannies at Doom world.

I started replaying Half-life 2 and I went from it's a great game to it's jank after about 2 hours. The physics system is constantly presented in ways to ruin the flow of the game with no benefit. The first time you have to smash some planks to progress is a tutorial, the 10th time it's a tedious exercise in changing weapons. The set pieces and various physics interactions in the early section are in general lack luster 20 years after release. They reuse the same explosive barrel into barnacles section at least 3 times and barrels blocking corridors isn't fun so why do it? The worse offense is a lack of object turning. Having to drop barrels into things to make them turn upright sucks.

Alyx is annoying and talks like a Marvel character, while everyone you meet says how great she is. She's often padding out the story segments saying nothing while you wait for her to open the next door and progress.

The story segments are painful because the writers are writing semi-comedic characters in a post apocalypse world. Why would you ever have a pet head crab or let it loose among delicate scientific equipment? Barney is the only likeable character so far. The game suffers greatly from a lack of NPC models in the opening sequence. When you leave one room only to walk into another with the exact same guy and voice it's weird.

The ladders barely function. Why do Valve suck at ladders?

I wouldn't call it a bad game, but I wouldn't call it a good one either. It's aged terribly but I'm still enjoying the parts between smashing planks.
So is this is the mental capability of the prestigious codex?
A /v/ tier nitpicking post.
You need to understand that this is why people make of fun of you.
>doomworld
All forums trannies are the same. They just like their circlekerk and validation like this one.
But tell me do you think posting your 4chan shitposts here will change anything about the game quality?
Also funnny that is another newfag seething over this game. Not sutble.

ind33d

Educated
people realize half-life 2 isn't supposed to be fun, right? playing half-life for the "fun" is like reading 1984 for the sex scenes

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
>implying
/v/ and /vr/

Look buddy, we're at RPG Codex here, not 4chan. We understand that exposition to imageboards has fried your brain but can you at least try to behave and talk like a literate adult ? You can relax. This place is not 4chan. You can breath. What a relief.
Now why don't you take some time to write some phrases to talk about HL2 in a readable way ? Try to express your opinion. What makes you happy ? How does the game makes you feel ? What were the best parts of the game for you ?

Hell Swarm

Educated
Alyx is annoying and talks like a Marvel character, while everyone you meet says how great she is.

Not as eye rolling inducing as listening Alyx drone on about how great Gordon is.
Same bullshit but Gordon did something to be praised for. Alyx never does anything impressive to get the reputation she has when you're introduced to her. Gordon as a hero who saved many of the Black Mesa survivors then disappeared into an alien portal world becoming a legendary figure makes some sense. He can be used as rebel propaganda and a symbol of hope. Alyx can be used as a poor quality flesh light I guess? Neither should have been praised in game as much as they are but you can justify one of them while the other's most impressive feat in the original game is killing 4 metrocops beating Gordon with stun sticks.

Beans00

Augur
So is this is the mental capability of the prestigious codex?
A /v/ tier nitpicking post.
You need to understand that this is why people make of fun of you.
>doomworld
All forums trannies are the same. They just like their circlekerk and validation like this one.
But tell me do you think posting your 4chan shitposts here will change anything about the game quality?
Also funnny that is another newfag seething over this game. Not sutble.

Wow, you're so fucking cool tough and dangerous I bet you smoke cigarettes and drink beer.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Alyx is annoying and talks like a Marvel character, while everyone you meet says how great she is.

Not as eye rolling inducing as listening Alyx drone on about how great Gordon is.
Same bullshit but Gordon did something to be praised for. Alyx never does anything impressive to get the reputation she has when you're introduced to her. Gordon as a hero who saved many of the Black Mesa survivors then disappeared into an alien portal world becoming a legendary figure makes some sense. He can be used as rebel propaganda and a symbol of hope. Alyx can be used as a poor quality flesh light I guess? Neither should have been praised in game as much as they are but you can justify one of them while the other's most impressive feat in the original game is killing 4 metrocops beating Gordon with stun sticks.

Sure but since you are Gordon it felt kind of pathetic.

schru

Arcane
That "Zombine" joke of hers in Episode 1...
Is very good indeed—the delivery, that is, where she goes from trying to be droll to getting embarrassed a second later.

On the subject of Alyx generally, I think her dialogue flowed well and felt natural in Episode One, while in HL2 she felt too much like a generic action-film sidekick, with only a few good moments.

It's something I only came to appreciate in retrospect, but I suppose that back when Valve were still working on HL2, the possibility of implementing well animated talking characters who showed emotions and such in scenes that were directly in the game held a much greater attraction as an achievement in terms of story-telling in games and the craft involved, whatever one thinks of the main plot which drives those scenes.

Similar things were already being done in in-engine cutscenes on PlayStation 2, I think, but it was still something fresh for this type of game of such scope. To this day, it feels like cutscenes and 'story scenes' in games from those times evince much more care and excitement about the possibility of doing that sort of thing, compared to how mundane, but not necessarily as well made, these things are now.

I do like how the Vortigaunts refer to you as "THE Freeman"...
Seems you are kind of a messianic figure to them (and the Resistance).
I'm pretty sure that they use the definitive article for Alyx, Eli, and Magnusson too. I think it's rather about how they perceive the personality of the individual differently.

ds

Cipher
Patron
Yeah, the Vortigaunts do have reason to venerate Gordon and being telepathically linked it makes sense that they would all share that disposition. In the episodes it feels more like they are mocking you with the endless congratulations for performing the simplest of tasks.

Alyx constantly sucking Gordon's cock is just insultingly obvious waifu bait.

As for the rest of the resistance, its hard to know if what you hear during the game is actually representative of how Gordon is seen. There is one part where you can listen to rebels through holes in the floor where they shittalk about Kleiner so I like to think that are also those that are not true believers in The Freeman and you just don't get to see that side.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Is very good indeed—the delivery, that is, where she goes from trying to be droll to getting embarrassed a second later.

On the subject of Alyx generally, I think her dialogue flowed well and felt natural in Episode One, while in HL2 she felt too much like a generic action-film sidekick, with only a few good moments.

It's something I only came to appreciate in retrospect, but I suppose that back when Valve were still working on HL2, the possibility of implementing well animated talking characters who showed emotions and such in scenes that were directly in the game held a much greater attraction as an achievement in terms of story-telling in games and the craft involved, whatever one thinks of the main plot which drives those scenes.

Similar things were already being done in in-engine cutscenes on PlayStation 2, I think, but it was still something fresh for this type of game of such scope. To this day, it feels like cutscenes and 'story scenes' in games from those times evince much more care and excitement about the possibility of doing that sort of thing, compared to how mundane, but not necessarily as well made, these things are now.

I'm pretty sure that they use the definitive article for Alyx, Eli, and Magnusson too. I think it's rather about how they perceive the personality of the individual differently.
Yes, the facial animations are really good.
I liked them.
VTMB also had them.

Fargus

Arcane
people realize half-life 2 isn't supposed to be fun, right? playing half-life for the "fun" is like reading 1984 for the sex scenes

Setting of Half-Life 2 is anything but a fun place. And it's not just 1984 obey-no-fucky-fucky Breencasts. Humanity is trully fucked in Half-Life 2. The visual storytelling alone does a good job at portraying this, like when you pass by a resistance execution site on your buggy where combine soldiers burn corpses in a pile.

Ravenholm is nice example of what combine could do to you if you displease them more than usual.

Hell Swarm

Educated

Yes, the facial animations are really good.
I liked them.
VTMB also had them.
Source engine was one of the first engines to animate based on sound. Characters could speak any language without the kung fu movie effect because the models react to the noises they're making. It was a big deal for Valve at the time.
Setting of Half-Life 2 is anything but a fun place. And it's not just 1984 obey-no-fucky-fucky Breencasts. Humanity is trully fucked in Half-Life 2. The visual storytelling alone does a good job at portraying this, like when you pass by a resistance execution site on your buggy where combine soldiers burn corpses in a pile.
Humanity isn't really fucked though. The original concept makes it clear they're fucked but the actual game shows very few problems. There's resistance bases all over the place and even inside city 17. There's just no major problem that the resistance can't solve if they actually tried. Freeman doesn't do anything special in any of the episodes. He's using standard weaponry and it takes down all of the combines stuff no problem. They have 'secret' labs surrounded by combine and they're not even touched. Hell the combine even know exactly what's going on thanks to Mossman and they do jack shit about it. If the combine were a threat to humanity they would have killed off the entire main cast and not just bombed ravenholm

I mean lets be realistic here. The combine we see in HL2 couldn't have stood up to the US Military of the era. Their strongest weapons are striders and gun ships and both get taken down by rockets. Cold war era tech would have put a hurting on those guys. They have to use nothing but bio weapons a man with a crowbar can defeat to stand any chance and that's questionable since Black Mesa showed your average marines can deal with Zen life forms.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
If i wanted to play devil's advocate, i would say the combine are not the actual force that conquered earth, but just the peace keeping occupation troops that were left behind. The problem with that of course is that Gordon fights his way towards the heart of their power and no other kind of army shows up to stop him so i guess that was it lol.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
If i wanted to play devil's advocate, i would say the combine are not the actual force that conquered earth, but just the peace keeping occupation troops that were left behind. The problem with that of course is that Gordon fights his way towards the heart of their power any no other kind of army shows up so i guess that was it.
The Advisors were supposed to be the leaders of the Combine, I believe.
If their powers are any indication, they would've made for some really tough boss fights.

Hell Swarm

Educated
If i wanted to play devil's advocate, i would say the combine are not the actual force that conquered earth, but just the peace keeping occupation troops that were left behind. The problem with that of course is that Gordon fights his way towards the heart of their power any no other kind of army shows up so i guess that was it.
The Advisors were supposed to be the leaders of the Combine, I believe.
If their powers are any indication, they would've made for some really tough boss fights.
Doesn't seem like something you would struggle with considering you have rockets and G man can get you unfucked if they paralyze you.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Personally, i thought the combine were lame because they weren't aliens. They used humans with human weaponry as their foot soldiers and that shit just annoyed me. You gonna go with a war of the worlds style of plot let us fight some cool aliens not a rehash of the marines from Half Life 1 that were worse than the latter in every way.

I mean the combine are a multi-dimensional conquering force and yet 90% of the time the ones you are fighting look less futuristic or alien than some paramilitary outfits in modern times. Even City 17, why does it have to look like some old eastern European city. Because of muh WWII references?

There's just so many strange hair brained ideas in Half Life 2. I don't know how Valve managed to lose the pulse of the first game in the time it took them to make the sequel.

ds

Cipher
Patron
I don't know how Valve managed to lose the pulse of the first game in the time it took them to make the sequel.

Not that surprising really.

Aaron Stackpole
Bill Van Buren
Brett Johnson
Chuck Jones
Dario Casali
Dave Riller
Douglas R. Wood
Gabe Newell
Greg Coomer
Harry Teasley
Jay Stelly
John Cook
John Guthrie
Karen Laur
Kelly Bailey
Ken Birdwell
Lisa Mennet
Marc Laidlaw
Mike Harrington
Mona Lisa Guthrie
Monica Harrington
Randy Lundeen
Robin Walker
Steve Bond
Steve Theodore
Ted Backman
TK Backman
Wes Cumberland
Yahn Bernier
Yatsze Mark

Viktor Antonov
Ted Backman
Kelly Bailey
Jeff Ballinger
Matt Bamberger
Aaron Barber
Yahn Bernier
Ken Birdwell
Derrick Birum
Chris Bokitch
Steve Bond
Matt Boone
Charlie Brown
Julie Caldwell
Dario Casali
Yvan Charpentier
Jess Cliffe
John Cook
Greg Coomer
Kellie Cosner
Scott Dalton
Kerry Davis
Jason Deakins
Ariel Diaz
Quintin Doroquez
Martha Draves
Laura Dubuk
Mike Dunkle
Mike Dussault
Rick Ellis
Dhabih Eng
Miles Estes
Adrian Finol
Bill Fletcher
Moby Francke
Pat Goodwin
Chris Green
Chris Grinstead
John Guthrie
Leslie Hall
Damarcus Holbrook
Tim Holt
Brian Jacobson
Erik Johnson
Jakob Jungels
Iikka Keranen
Eric Kirchmer
Marc Laidlaw
Jeff Lane
Tom Leonard
Doug Lombardi
Randy Lundeen
Scott Lynch
Ido Magal
Gary McTaggart
John Morello II
Bryn Moslow
Gabe Newell
Tri Nguyen
Jake Nicholson
Martin Otten
Kristen Perry
Bay Raitt
Alfred Reynolds
Dave Riller
Danika Rogers
David Sawyer
Aaron Seeler
Nick Shaffner
Taylor Sherman
Eric Smith
David Speyrer
Jay Stelly
Jeremy Stone
Mikel Thompson
Kelly Thornton
Carl Uhlman
Bill Van Buren
KayLee Vogt
Robin Walker
Josh Weier
Doug Wood
Matt T. Wood
Matt Wright

Almost three times as many cooks in the kitchen. And remember this is Valve, these are all Important™ chefs not mere line cooks only there to implement someone else's vision.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom