Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How many different flavors of furry are in D&D 5?

J1M

Arcane
Misread the title as "flurry". Was looking forward to talking about monks being a dumb class.

Instead I will point out that D&D 6e floated a new celestial race called Ardlings where you can play as a humanoid with an animal head.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Misread the title as "flurry". Was looking forward to talking about monks being a dumb class.

Instead I will point out that D&D 6e floated a new celestial race called Ardlings where you can play as a humanoid with an animal head.

I'll bite. Monks are just stun-bots, like warlocks are eldritch blast-bots, fighters are attack-bots, etc.

If you're anywhere familiar with the rules, half the classes in 5e are snoozefests in combat unless you resort to creative thinking.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Can I be a gelatinous cube though?

You think a gelatinous cube would be safe from being backstabbed?
spuA9qc.jpg

(Maybe in 5th edition they are)

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Can I be a gelatinous cube though?

You think a gelatinous cube would be safe from being backstabbed?
Gelatinous cubes were already protected from thief back stabs in AD&D 1st edition. From the DMG: "Back Stabbing: Opponents aware of the thief will be able to negate the attack form. Certain creatures (otyughs, slimes, molds, etc.) either negate surprise or have no definable "back", thus negating this ability." The Gold Box games could have included a flag for each enemy type indicating whether they were susceptible to thief back stabbing, and then checked for the flag in combat to determine if a back stab occurs.

DD%20MC1%20Gelatinous%20Cube.png

Lt Broccoli

Educated
Furries in D&D...another representation of D&D reinventing itself to keep its relevance to the new generations. I suppose, I can't blame them, and I want the intellectual property to continue, but there comes a time when the older generations struggle to consume the 'new' as their beloved cultural 'property' mutates. We've seen this all before with Star Trek, Star Wars, Marvel...

I guess they have tons of furries now, but it's not like furries where nowhere to be seen in fantasy back in the 80s and 90s too. Furries as the group we know them today alreasy existed back then as well, and there were some examples of creatures like that in mainstream fantasy. You could point Chewie as an example, then the little bears from Endor... then the puppets from The Dark Crystal... didn't Ultima had furries too at one point? You didn't had a thousand flavors of furries, yeah, but they were kinda there.
All in all, you could add worse things to games I suppose.

Vlajdermen

Arcane
I guess they have tons of furries now, but it's not like furries where nowhere to be seen in fantasy back in the 80s and 90s too. Furries as the group we know them today alreasy existed back then as well, and there were some examples of creatures like that in mainstream fantasy. You could point Chewie as an example, then the little bears from Endor... then the puppets from The Dark Crystal... didn't Ultima had furries too at one point? You didn't had a thousand flavors of furries, yeah, but they were kinda there.
All in all, you could add worse things to games I suppose.
Well furries started as horny fantasy/sci fi fans and cartoonists. There were furfags in sci-fi conventions in the 80s who came there to discuss Erma Felna. I see why it would be a problem now that there's more of us, but I also see why wotc wouldn't be ashamed to pander to us. There's already plenty of degeneracy in these fantasy nerd circles, so we might as well join the party. Like the guy said, when everyone is a pervert, noone is.

Norfleet

You could point Chewie as an example, then the little bears from Endor...
I would say these are not furries, even if they have fur, because they're aliens, and not things presented as something people should attempt to either fuck, or focus on the fucking thereof, and they are not anthro-versions of any specific animal.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
The book of humanoids also let you be kobolds, but that was back during the dark days of early 2nd edition when kobolds were just goblins with glowy eyes. You have to be absolutely sure that the DM is visualizing kobolds in the 3rd edition+ form or the deal is off.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom