Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How would you rate Pillars of Eternity?

How many doritos/10 PoE deserve?

• 10 (A modern classic, you did it Obsidian!)

Votes: 42 10.5%
  • 9 (Great game, although it has some minor problems.)

Votes: 102 25.4%
  • 8 (Good job Obsidian, but it is not as good as I hoped.)

Votes: 75 18.7%
  • 7 (Nice game, but nothing spectacular.)

Votes: 46 11.5%
  • 6 (Ehh, it's above average, but it is a disappointment.)

Votes: 50 12.5%
  • 5 (Meh, it is mediocre.)

Votes: 23 5.7%
  • 4 (The game has some good stuff, but tons of bad.)

Votes: 21 5.2%
  • 3 (Shamefur dispray Obsidian, the game is awful.)

Votes: 9 2.2%
  • 2 (The game is one of the worst cRPGs in recent years.)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 (Game is garbage on every front.)

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • Fucking rating systems, what mainstream shit is this? (Kingcomrade)

Votes: 27 6.7%

• Total voters

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Dunno why my posts keep getting deleted. I delurked for this game. It had so mouch potential. I rate it complete and utter shit. A good game ruined by shitty mechanics. How they managed to in every way make a game that is worse in every single respect than a 17 year old game is simply amazing. Shitty wilderness areas, completely stupid attribute system, and mmo combat. POE should stand for Piece of Excrement.

Probably because we already have enough shitposters on the codex currently.

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
If you vote considering all PC games, I think it's impossible to give it anything else than 10/10. PoE is vastly, vastly, better than all the other shit there is out there.

That said, if we move into a narrower category such as "all PC RPGs" - where the general level is higher - you could probably give PoE 9/10 to place it on a lower level compared to the best classics.

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I gave it an 8, but maybe it's more like a 7.5 atm. My main complaints are, the bugs (I've managed to get hit with a few), the RTWP combat is ok but turn based is my preference, the backer stuff is an annoyance my brain has all of it on auto ignore, and finally the wizard class is kind of meh (making arcane veil modal would make both them and fire arms more interesting though, it would also make fighter mages more viable since there are some spells geared towards that).

Nael

Arcane
8/10 because I don't sperg over games so much. Its a fun game mechanically as long as you can ignore stuff that probably should have been thought out a bit better though. So far I haven't run into writing that has made me cringe. That's a huge plus these days.

I will probably play through this game at least 7 times.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Wish it was 10/10 but.. I cannot place notes on the map !! wtf ? More seriously, I'm not convinced by the combat mechanics, almost want to lower difficulty just to make it quicker..

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
the level cap seems extremely low.

This was done so as not to punish people who only wanted to do the main quest. They probably should have greatly cut down on the amount of side quests to compensate for it.

More like because the number of things that have to be designed per class per level is far greater than any previous D&D crpg and even D&D requires a lot (e.g. ToEE's many problems despite only having a level cap of 10)

Of course I think they overdid it with the classes. Should have stuck with 8, like BG.

Hegel

Arcane
8.7/10. Double their budget, sack Sawyer as a lead, copy ToEE and BGII combat, let Avellone, Ziets and Cain run wild. I have very high expectations for the expansions/sequel.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
More like because the number of things that have to be designed per class per level is far greater than any previous D&D crpg and even D&D requires a lot (e.g. ToEE's many problems despite only having a level cap of 10)

Of course I think they overdid it with the classes. Should have stuck with 8, like BG.

There are enough talent and ability choices that an extra level or two would have done little to reduce build diversity. It's not like the classes are at all balanced right now anyway.

Hegel

Arcane
TB, with BGII reactivity and spell selection/mage combat, spell utility and itemization, rest is ToEE (crafting, spells interactivity, character system and progression). The best of both worlds. Can't believe the guys at Obsidian have missed years of BGII and ToEE (co8) modding. Furthermore, they did some interesting stuff in SoZ, too bad they dismissed them in PoE.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
There are enough talent and ability choices that an extra level or two would have done little to reduce build diversity. It's not like the classes are at all balanced right now anyway.

Even one extra level would require them to have to create a whole bunch of spells for wizards, druids, priests, and so on.

Athelas

Arcane
It's already impressive they made eleven classes, and despite the issues with combat, those classes are all very much unique and distinct.

Hegel

Arcane
Don't give us that bullshit excuse. The way they implemented magic in this game, it's pure laziness.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Dunno why my posts keep getting deleted. I delurked for this game. It had so mouch potential. I rate it complete and utter shit. A good game ruined by shitty mechanics. How they managed to in every way make a game that is worse in every single respect than a 17 year old game is simply amazing. Shitty wilderness areas, completely stupid attribute system, and mmo combat. POE should stand for Piece of Excrement.
Whats amazing is that you have enough brains to type this up. Go back to Call of Duty.

Nael

Arcane

I gave you a brofist because it will probably be your only one. Savor it. Think of it at night as you lie in your bed staring at the ceiling wondering if you'll ever have this feeling again.

You won't.

:codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues:

made

Arcane
Graphics: 10/10 - they are probably even better but my screen is constantly covered in jizz so I can't see them very clearly.
Combat: 5/10 - one big clusterfuck; RTWP ill-suited for tactical gameplay without more automation
Writing: 7/10 - it ain't MOTB, though it ain't Dragon Age either
Bugs: Obsidian/10

Final Conclusion: Was well worth the bandwidth :smug:

LizardWizard

Prophet

I assume this is you? So much edge and butthurt

http://www.metacritic.com/user/JRRN

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
+ great visuals, art direction and graphics (except for way overdone spell effects)
+writing is sometimes good
+ some interesting locations
+ combat is difficult
+ Dorgan was an interesting NPC

= writing is usually mediocre
= mediocre music

- constant flow of waves of trash encounters
- Most NPCs are banal shit boring
- Story is banal shit boring
- The worst stronghold there ever was in a cRPG, it'd be way better if it wasn't there at all
- the world feels empty, it has as many locations as Baldur's Gate but like 10% of its content
- bugs bugs bugs, including a gamebreaking ones (I'm not even able to finish the game)
- combat is NOT fun due to clusterfuck and trash encounters where you just repeat the same tactics again and again
- falls extremely short in comparison with games like Divinity: OS, damn, even Dragon Age 3 felt much better thought through and not as rushed as PoE

If not so many trash encounters (I know, they want to stay close to Icewind Dales, but seriously, I expected a cRPG, not a hack'n slash) and bugs I'd give it 7/10. Trash encounters give it -1 point and bugs another -1. Hence why I'm going to rate it 5/10.

The fact that I did not have fun playing it anymore in Twin Shits should justify the rating too.

Avellion

Erudite
Its probably the most well made of the inoffensive RPGs I have played in the last few years. But it is not my favorite.

Combat: 3/5. Its better than anything recent made by AAA RPG devs. But its encounter design is a bit rough in some parts and it still uses RTwP.
Writing: 4/5. My computer screen remains intact.
Quests: 4/5. All dem skill checks, and the branching paths in Raedric's hold was really cool. Some skill checks even lead to things being worse off.
Presentation: 5/5. The prettiest computer game I have played in quite a while. The art team did a fantastic job.

I would give it an 8/10.

GloomFrost

Arcane
9 out of 10. But I also was really lucky with bugs, havent met anything serious and love 2d background in general.
BTW some people are forgetting that 4 mill is a lot for a kickstarter game but nothing compared to AAA games budgets. Yes not having a greedy blood sucking publisher behind your back gives some freedom but it doesnt mean that developers automatically can create a flawless, unique, bug free masterpiece. Improving a role playing system, adding more balanced spells and companions still requires time and money. Thats why I think Obsidian made a beautiful job with what they had. Obviously will back their next project.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom