Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

I can't get into Divinity OS games and i can't figure why.

Discussion in 'Larian Studios' started by Mazisky, Mar 12, 2020.

1. smaug Dumbfuck! Patron Dumbfuck Shitposter

smaug
    Insert Title Here
    “I could lick your arm and tell you how you spent the night before last. Shall I?”

*She gives your arm a vigorous stroke of the tongue, efficient, like a cat grooming.*

“I don’t lick and tell.”
    :prosper:

This writing is so gay, I couldn’t force myself to play even if I tried.

• WTF am I reading x 6
    • Funny x 3
    • Disgusting! x 2
    • retadred x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. wahrk Learned

wahrk
    Probably because the only decent aspect of the game is the combat, while the setting/plot/writing is all painfully retarded nonsense.

Which is why Larian decided the player should spend the first five hours of the game running around the town listening to dialogue so you can solve a fucking murder mystery. Really playing to their strengths.

• Brofist x 4
    • Funny x 4
    • Agree x 2
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. jackofshadows Arbiter

jackofshadows
    Don't push yourself, the game obviously has been designed for coop mode. If you have appropriate friend/gf(s) - give another try, it could be fun, really. Otherwise - don't bother, it's just not worth the time.

All the best stuff game has to offer located in the very first act. Few demanding encounters, some puzzles (pixel hunting mostly tho), all that enviromental shit
    Show Spoiler
    certain fights become laughable easy during the rain, for example
    - it's all there, in the beginning.

I mean, it's not the kind of game where you suppose to struggle through some in order to enjoy later. It's the opposite.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Riddler Magister Patron

Riddler
    Bubbles In Memoria
    In addition to all the other issues mentioned I have real issues with the combat, more precisely the speed of it.

I have no trouble with TB combat, even with a lot of combatants (I have over 200h in BB) but the combat in DivOS1-2 is just unbearably slow with animations that take forever.

I recently tried DivOs2 again and ran with a single character and found the game more bearable this way, less retarded dialogue and much faster combat. The game is so easy that it doesn't really matter either way.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Mazisky Magister

Mazisky
    Well, any suggestions about Turn based fantasy games that aren't too old like ToEE? I already have Battle Bros and looking toward Realms Beyond, but can't find anything else at the moment. My dream game is Xcom \ Jagged Alliance 2 but with swords and magic.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    kingmaker with turn-based mod

I haven't gotten around to playing it yet but it seems like what you're asking for. It's on my backlog.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • No No x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Baron Tahn Novice

Baron Tahn
    +1 for Kingmaker. It really is a great throwback to rpgs of old and TB option just makes it better.

You might also try Banner Saga. Its not the greatest but its solid for what you seem to be looking for.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Shit Shit x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Darth Canoli Magister

Darth Canoli
    You should check Urtuk, there's a thread on this forum and it's on steam/itchi.o

Also Warbanners.

And most of all, Knights of the chalice if you didn't already.

Kingmaker TB mod is a cheap placebo and forged of blood isn't as good as i wanted it to be, i stopped my playthrough after 2/3 fights.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Dawkinsfan69 Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Bethestard

Dawkinsfan69
    1) The writing/world-building is godawful shit catered towards redditors and people who think pickle rick is the funniest thing ever
    2) Art style is like league of legends
    3) Combat and interactions are, from what I can gather at least, what most people here who enjoy the game actually play it for. If you're not into the combat mechanics/character building the game has nothing to offer.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Strange Fellow Peculiar Patron Sad Loser

Strange Fellow
    Mordheim is another cool fantasy tictacs game you might enjoy. Very modern presentation. It's on GOG these days with a good discount.

• decline decline x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Ebonsword Arcane

Ebonsword
    Well, there's one that's still pretty old, but most people haven't played it because it came out on the PSP: Dungeons & Dragons: Tactics.

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. I am afraid parts of this are true. Germany never brought forth comedic geniuses like Adam Sandler, Martin Lawrence or Rob Scheinder. But we make the
    best instructive motion pictures in combination with subtle humor,

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Whatever shit you posted didn't load Whatever shit you posted didn't load x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. nikolokolus Arcane

nikolokolus
    The DOS games' biggest hook is the environmental interactivity and at first blush you think, "That's great! Think of all the out of the box things you can do with that sort of thing." The problem for me was that almost every encounter featured this kind of shit, so the novelty wears pretty thin somewhere about 10-20 hours into either -- you're no longer thinking outside of a box, you're just in a weirdly shaped one that repeats itself ad nauseam.

Throw in the incomprehensible cosmic stakes, the flat uninteresting people you meet along the way and the "item fever" loot system and it makes it really tough to stick with it for the long haul. I did manage finish the non EE version of the first one out of sheer bloody mindedness, but the EE was not enough to hook me and three attempts at DOS2 have stalled right when I get off of the first island.

The need a better hook for BG3 aside from the environmental bullshit; for sure it should be the dash of salt and pepper on top, but it can't be the whole meal. Maybe being constrained by WotC helps a bit this time, and using a system that isn't as shitty, and maybe they've got some better writing talent now ... or maybe not. I guess we'll see.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Puukko Arcane

Puukko
    One word: co-op. Are you playing this on co-op? Because that is one of its greatest strengths and one that very few RPGs replicate. Fucking around with your buddy, building your characters to compliment (or screw with) each other, the shenanigans that follow. If you're playing it solo and like a classic CRPG I can see why you'd have trouble getting into the game.
    Seconding this.

• Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. aweigh Arcane

aweigh
    Knights Of The Chalice. Best 3.5 d&d combat-focused cRPG ever made. Sequel's coming out soon too so there is that to look foward to as well.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Lilura RPG Codex Dragon Lady

Self-Ejected
    Uh, no. That's Temple of Elemental Evil. And with Temple+, the gulf widens even more.

No. Realms Beyond.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. *-*/\--/\~ Arbiter

*-*/\--/\~
    Because they are bad. Like, fanmade-level bad, with the possible exception of combat.

^ Top  
  18. NJClaw I'm single now, looking for a new forum boyfriend Patron

NJClaw
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I'm Ridin' with Biden I'm Ridin' with Biden
    With the difference that KotC 2 is coming out someday
    Show Spoiler
    :negative:

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Sykar Arcane

Sykar
    I'll listen to Volker Pispers, Urban Priol and Georg Schramm over any of those guys any day of the week though technically they are not "comedians" but cabaret artist. The only American comedians I like better are George Carlin (R.I.P) and Robin Williams (R.I.P).
    Also Adam Sandler is a comedian? There is not a single Adam Sandler movie that made me laugh, at most a mild chuckle but by and large they are boring. Never got the appeal about him.

• decline decline x 1
    • meh meh x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Ranarama Learned

Ranarama
    Some games need to cool it with introducing new quests. It's not the biggest problem with D:OS, but if my immediate response to a plot hook is "fuck off, I'm busy" then I'm not going to follow that quest-line, it's just going to be reading the quest markers.

^ Top  
  21. Lilura RPG Codex Dragon Lady

Self-Ejected
    Imagine having played shit like Divinity OS, but not having played ToEE, JA2, X-COM or Silent Storm.

• Despair Despair x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Mazisky Magister

Mazisky
    JA2 and Xcom are the only masterpieces that have a meaningful strategic layer, and it is so sad that they are only 2 titles over 20 years of gaming.

• Despair Despair x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. cretin Savant

cretin
    I doubt you're alone with DOS2. I got hoodwinked. Bunch of fucking tards raving about rpg flavor of the month and i got just far enough in to realize it wasnt going to get any better and yet i also passed the point of no return for a steam refund. Fuck, iirc I got it at full price too.

• Despair Despair x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Well, now I am glad that i didn't claim Germans knew about Irony .

• Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Mexi Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Sad Loser

Mexi
    They're garbage is why. They also are going to fuck up BG3 by making it Divinity-lite.

• Agree x 3
    • Despair x 2
    • Participation Award x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Rage x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.