Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I can't get into Divinity OS games and i can't figure why.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
even Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor is more monocled than Divinity OS
Even? Pool of Radiance is a gud game!
Maybe because i never uninstalled it, just deleted folder with the game.

Was this true or some anorak urban legend, that if you used Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor's uninstall program in its original release, it would delete your whole hard drive partition the game was installed to? For some reason, I find that hilarious. Extra hilarity points if it was installed on your C:\windows drive :hahano:

Funposter

Arcane
even Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor is more monocled than Divinity OS
Even? Pool of Radiance is a gud game!
Maybe because i never uninstalled it, just deleted folder with the game.

Was this true or some anorak urban legend, that if you used Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor's uninstall program in its original release, it would delete your whole hard drive partition the game was installed to? For some reason, I find that hilarious. Extra hilarity points if it was installed on your C:\windows drive :hahano:

I believe it was related to changing the installation path. If you didn't just go along with what the installer wanted and tried to move it to a different folder, that's what caused the uninstaller to freak out. The original version of Bungie's 'Myth 2' had a similar problem - the uninstaller just deleted the parent folder. Great fun if you kept all of your games in the same folder, or were stupid enough to install it directly to C:

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
DOS2 became hated here the moment it became popular. Popular = bad, gotta appear cool and hip to the fellow codexers.

Yeah, would be difficult to find a more self destructive take for creators in general, yet it is pandemic among them.

Git gud.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
DOS2 became hated here the moment it became popular. Popular = bad, gotta appear cool and hip to the fellow codexers.

Or maybe you know, the fact that they somehow make a lot of thing worse than DOS 1 without really fixing anything about the problems DOS 1 had.

But sure. we hate it only because it is popular.

You're both right.

Tripicus

Augur
For some reason, I find that hilarious. Extra hilarity points if it was installed on your C:\windows drive :hahano:

But that's part of the joke you see, you couldn't install it on anything but your C: drive.

Maybe they eventually fixed a lot of issues eventually, but I never stuck around long enough to find out. And it was too much of a hot mess on release to even bother holding out hope for it.

Yes, I was one of those who were hit by the uninstall issue. I ended up returning it for Operation Flashpoint.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
So I just hit that wall everyone was talking about, but mine was at 25 hours in. Here are some issues:

1. The part that is really sucking the joy out of this game for me is the point-and-click adventure element of the game. You find a McGuffin and have to use it in various locations to see if you can finally trigger it and see what it does. For many McGuffin's there is no real hint on where to use it. And that's if you even find a McGuffin and given the hint that you need to use it to further the quest. Oftentimes the McGuffin is too small to see, so you have to use that 'x' button constantly to reveal it.
2. Too many goddamn keys. When you use a key on the proper lock it should disappear from your inventory, or you should have some sort of keychain that all found keys automatically connect themselves to. I have backpacks full of keys and incriminatory documents that I have no use for but am afraid to drop for fear of breaking a quest.
3. You are investigating a murder, but you get zero help in solving it. I found all sorts of evidence incriminating one person or the other, or giving leads on what might be going on, but there the characters you talk to after collecting said evidence never change their damn dialogue to give their own opinions. I had a shit-ton of notes all pointing at one particular person and when I show up at the legionnaire office the leader scoffs and says that person seems so nice. Dude, I have handwritten notes that confess that this person is working for the big bad and they don't even give an option to acknowledge the evidence I'm carrying.
4. My created PC partner shut me down a couple of times during quests, such as when I tried to get Mr. Useless Legionnaire leader to arrest an old man for trying to have a citizen killed. Mr. Useless brushed me off, then I got into and lost a rock-paper-scissors contest with my own PC over it. And after the mayor and his daughter told me I should try to have the dude arrested. My other option is to convince the target to give me a necklace from her deceased relatives so that the murderer will piss off and go somewhere else or die or something, but I'd prefer to have Mr. Useless do his fucking job instead.
5. I killed off the entire remnants of an orc invasion, but nobody notices the stacks of corpses on the beach and the fact that there is no longer an invasion. Instead they still bitch and whine about orcs on the beach.
6. Some of the side quests are just too ridiculous and mood-killing, so I decided to ignore them.
7. When I tried to leave a map after clearing all of it, I had Mr. Cat Wizard come up to me and chastise me for leaving the area before I solved the murder. Fuck off, Mr. Cat Wizard.
8. I can't take justice into my own hands since the bad guys figured out the jig was up and high-tailed their asses out of town as soon as I came back with the incriminating evidence. No one remarks on their absence.
9. The game doesn't have a consistent tone. The stakes should be high, but everyone comes off flippant and joking. There's a murdereron the loose, an invasion of orcs on the beach, and an undead horde to the north. I'm not trying to harp too much on the importance of story, except the game certainly does with how much story-filler there is.
10. The game world feels like a pile of small parts with no real connection between them. I found a ghost in a light house whose actions got a bunch of passengers killed. I meet the ghosts of the passengers who mention the light house, and now there are two side quests. But I can't speak to the two groups about the others. You would think that they would have something to say about one another, which would lead to solving one or the other. Instead the ghosts mention a cat that was on board the ship and you would fail in solving their quest unless you took the speak-to-animals ability and clicked on every cat you could find, going area to area trying to find the right one.

At this point I could use a walkthrough to see what I missed, but I shouldn't have to do so, as I found loads of clues on my own by this point. A decent game should have several ways to move forward. I should solve it all on my own and reap greater rewards, or have the NPCs chip in to help in small bits and maybe loss out on a final reward.

And I feel bad for anyone who is playing the game without two wizards. My earth/fire wizard with a skill point in water to help with healing (and carrying a water-based wand just in case) and my water/air wizard (carrying a fire staff just in case) have been able to take on all threats despite whatever comes at us. My fighter carries a long spear and tanks with her attacks of opportunity and my archer uses an array of trick arrows as back-up. A cleric doesn't seem needed as you can heal with water magic and first aid, and my archer has a couple points in lockpicking and traps are mostly avoidable, so I don't need a thief either. I could see someone else picking a fighter/cleric/thief/witch or something and totally getting screwed over in game.

If I continue, it's going to be after breaking my "no walkthrough" rule, and then a large part of the charm is going to be gone since I really got into the idea of being an investigator. I don't enjoy backtracking an entire map clicking on everything, using every fucking item, and talking to useless unchanging NPCs in the hope that something might change.

Last edited:

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
The stakes should be high, but everyone comes off flippant and joking

The result of POSTMODERN, DECADENT FILTH. As a a culture reaches a morbid state, it looses its sense of the SACRED and it condemns itself to nihilism ; it takes nothing seriously anymore, looses its sense for the tragic ; cannot fucking struggle for God and King anymore ; and so it presents stories were stakes are mere games - IN A GAME. This is the meta commentary on the commentary, it represents nothing, as it is nothing, but the weak feminized untermensch that arglauhglaughlaugh

Yeah it really wasn't any funny, wasn't it

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
The stakes should be high, but everyone comes off flippant and joking

The result of POSTMODERN, DECADENT FILTH. As a a culture reaches a morbid state, it looses its sense of the SACRED and it condemns itself to nihilism ; it takes nothing seriously anymore, looses its sense for the tragic ; cannot fucking struggle for God and King anymore ; and so it presents stories were stakes are mere games - IN A GAME. This is the meta commentary on the commentary, it represents nothing, as it is nothing, but the weak feminized untermensch that arglauhglaughlaugh

Yeah it really wasn't any funny, wasn't it

Or maybe the developers weren't that talented.

Contagium

Savant
Patron
First one is better. I actually enjoy the bizarre humor... it's completely gone in the second one. The soundtrack is better, too, if that matters.

I've just started playing Divinity: Original Sin and am rather enjoying it. I started with a ranger and a fire/earth wizard, and just picked up a two-handed sword wielding meat shield and a second wizard that specializes in water/air. I'm a sucker for trying to solve mysteries, and there are a few to try and solve right at the start of the game. I wasn't sure if I was going to like the combat, but the two wizards give me a lot of different combat options, such as spreading oil on the ground and then lighting it up with my ranger's fire arrow or a fire spell, and having my second wizard teleport enemies in the middle of the flames. You can also take advantage of the environment in combat, and it's turn-based, which I also like. I'm only a few hours in but my enjoyment of the game is increasing the more I play.

I don't own the second game, but it's rated better than this one on metacritic.

Drowed

Arcane
Well... I don't know, I liked both games in the series. But I'd say I liked D:OS the same way I like fast food: you eat it without thinking about it too much, and you know there's nothing of extreme quality in there.

I like Larian's humor. I think events are amusing, even if they're not funny. The story itself is not really deep or very interesting, but it is justification enough to continue to advance in the game. The fun lies largely in the old principle of the loot cycle (picking up new and stronger items), and especially, in the combinations and interactions between the magical effects and the objects in the scenario. It is always fun to be able to put a barrel next to an enemy and blow everything up in a chain reaction by attacking from afar. But if you look too deep, you'll see that the gameplay is a bit shallow indeed. Then I can perfectly understand why some couldn't really enjoy the game.

Zanzoken

Arcane
I have attempted three separate times to play D:OS1, and the farthest I got was the first run, where I managed to complete the Cyseal questline. I really wanted to like the game, and I thought the combat and music were pretty good, but the rest of the game was just so fucking annoying that I seriously doubt I'll ever try to play it again.

My D:OS burn book:

I hate the goofy art style.
I hate the schizophrenic tone which alternates between cutesy whimsical and ultra grimdark.
I hate how the main story hook takes forever to develop and doesn't really get you invested.
I hate the bland, generic, fantasy worldbuilding.
I HATE how NPCs say the same dumb lines over and over and over and over again every few seconds... (halibut, sheep's cheese, tomato STFU BITCH :argh:)
I hate that level is the most important stat in the character system.
I hate that the game is ostensibly open world, but the inability to fight enemies more than one level higher than you kills exploration and makes the game linear.
I hate having to buy expensive / rare skill books just learn new abilities.
I hate having to steal art just to have some spending money. I hate how NPCs are too dumb to notice me robbing them blind right under their noses.
I hate being buried under an avalanche of MMO trash loot, and having to sort through it using that disgusting inventory UI.
I hate the crafting system.
I hate the constant trudging from place to place.
I hate that I can't create more than two party members at the start.
Everything I have read about D:OS2 indicates that it's more of the same, except with worse combat this time, so I don't plan on playing it any time soon. Or BG3 for that matter.

I cannot speak about DOS 2, but as to Divinity First Blood, er Sin, I'm pretty undecided myself. And I'm about 2/3 through.

On the plus side, it has a pretty fun combat system and some fun encounters to boot. Personally I also like the art direction of the thing. Hell, at least some of the slapstick even got a chuckle out of me.

However, this game has probably the worst inventory management in any RPG I've played in the past 30 years, the game world gives off the illusion of being open despite being as rail-roaded as they come due to party and opposition scaling, and the itemization is the most lazy thing like ever. It's also infuriating how easy it is to misclick enemies as their hitboxes move with their animations, so your ranged guy may run into melee range rather than firing. And that's before stating the more obvious that have been pointed out about plotting and world building and writing by like everyone ever since release, apparently. There are many sources arguing DOS2 would rank highly amongst the greates RPGs ever released.

Well, I would love if it does. However it would have to incline from part 1 pretty heavily. I've seen a lot of criticism on the Codex regarding its systems (armor, in particular). Is there anybody here who was mixed about DOS1, but absolutely digged the 2nd?

Yosharian

Arcane
I cannot speak about DOS 2, but as to Divinity First Blood, er Sin, I'm pretty undecided myself. And I'm about 2/3 through.

On the plus side, it has a pretty fun combat system and some fun encounters to boot. Personally I also like the art direction of the thing. Hell, at least some of the slapstick even got a chuckle out of me.

However, this game has probably the worst inventory management in any RPG I've played in the past 30 years, the game world gives off the illusion of being open despite being as rail-roaded as they come due to party and opposition scaling, and the itemization is the most lazy thing like ever. And that's before stating the more obvious that have been pointed out about plotting and world building and writing by like everyone ever since release, apparently. There are many sources arguing DOS2 would rank highly amongst the greates RPGs ever released.

Well, I would love if it does. However it would have to incline from part 1 pretty heavily. I've seen a lot of criticism on the Codex regarding its systems (armor, in particular). Is there anybody here who was mixed about DOS1, but absolutely digged the 2nd?
God damnit the inventory management. I fucking hate it.

Norfleet

I HATE how NPCs say the same dumb lines over and over and over and over again every few seconds... (halibut, sheep's cheese, tomato STFU BITCH :argh:)
NO ONE HAS AS MANY FRIENDS AS THE MAN WITH MANY CHEESES!

I hate that the game is ostensibly open world, but the inability to fight enemies more than one level higher than you kills exploration and makes the game linear.
The key to understanding D:OS1 combat is two things:

1. Enemies never attempt to go through crates.

2. Everyone can explode.

3. You can select the other character while the first one is talking.

So while one person is handling the pre-combat flyting, the other person, whom we'll call Albert, has rigged the enemy base with explosives.

DraQ

Arcane
So I just hit that wall everyone was talking about, but mine was at 25 hours in. Here are some issues:

1. The part that is really sucking the joy out of this game for me is the point-and-click adventure element of the game. You find a McGuffin and have to use it in various locations to see if you can finally trigger it and see what it does. For many McGuffin's there is no real hint on where to use it. And that's if you even find a McGuffin and given the hint that you need to use it to further the quest. Oftentimes the McGuffin is too small to see, so you have to use that 'x' button constantly to reveal it.
2. Too many goddamn keys. When you use a key on the proper lock it should disappear from your inventory, or you should have some sort of keychain that all found keys automatically connect themselves to. I have backpacks full of keys and incriminatory documents that I have no use for but am afraid to drop for fear of breaking a quest.
3. You are investigating a murder, but you get zero help in solving it. I found all sorts of evidence incriminating one person or the other, or giving leads on what might be going on, but there the characters you talk to after collecting said evidence never change their damn dialogue to give their own opinions. I had a shit-ton of notes all pointing at one particular person and when I show up at the legionnaire office the leader scoffs and says that person seems so nice. Dude, I have handwritten notes that confess that this person is working for the big bad and they don't even give an option to acknowledge the evidence I'm carrying.
4. My created PC partner shut me down a couple of times during quests, such as when I tried to get Mr. Useless Legionnaire leader to arrest an old man for trying to have a citizen killed. Mr. Useless brushed me off, then I got into and lost a rock-paper-scissors contest with my own PC over it. And after the mayor and his daughter told me I should try to have the dude arrested. My other option is to convince the target to give me a necklace from her deceased relatives so that the murderer will piss off and go somewhere else or die or something, but I'd prefer to have Mr. Useless do his fucking job instead.
5. I killed off the entire remnants of an orc invasion, but nobody notices the stacks of corpses on the beach and the fact that there is no longer an invasion. Instead they still bitch and whine about orcs on the beach.
6. Some of the side quests are just too ridiculous and mood-killing, so I decided to ignore them.
7. When I tried to leave a map after clearing all of it, I had Mr. Cat Wizard come up to me and chastise me for leaving the area before I solved the murder. Fuck off, Mr. Cat Wizard.
8. I can't take justice into my own hands since the bad guys figured out the jig was up and high-tailed their asses out of town as soon as I came back with the incriminating evidence. No one remarks on their absence.
9. The game doesn't have a consistent tone. The stakes should be high, but everyone comes off flippant and joking. There's a murdereron the loose, an invasion of orcs on the beach, and an undead horde to the north. I'm not trying to harp too much on the importance of story, except the game certainly does with how much story-filler there is.
10. The game world feels like a pile of small parts with no real connection between them. I found a ghost in a light house whose actions got a bunch of passengers killed. I meet the ghosts of the passengers who mention the light house, and now there are two side quests. But I can't speak to the two groups about the others. You would think that they would have something to say about one another, which would lead to solving one or the other. Instead the ghosts mention a cat that was on board the ship and you would fail in solving their quest unless you took the speak-to-animals ability and clicked on every cat you could find, going area to area trying to find the right one.

At this point I could use a walkthrough to see what I missed, but I shouldn't have to do so, as I found loads of clues on my own by this point. A decent game should have several ways to move forward. I should solve it all on my own and reap greater rewards, or have the NPCs chip in to help in small bits and maybe loss out on a final reward.

And I feel bad for anyone who is playing the game without two wizards. My earth/fire wizard with a skill point in water to help with healing (and carrying a water-based wand just in case) and my water/air wizard (carrying a fire staff just in case) have been able to take on all threats despite whatever comes at us. My fighter carries a long spear and tanks with her attacks of opportunity and my archer uses an array of trick arrows as back-up. A cleric doesn't seem needed as you can heal with water magic and first aid, and my archer has a couple points in lockpicking and traps are mostly avoidable, so I don't need a thief either. I could see someone else picking a fighter/cleric/thief/witch or something and totally getting screwed over in game.

If I continue, it's going to be after breaking my "no walkthrough" rule, and then a large part of the charm is going to be gone since I really got into the idea of being an investigator. I don't enjoy backtracking an entire map clicking on everything, using every fucking item, and talking to useless unchanging NPCs in the hope that something might change.
Looks like you have reached the "fuck this shit" moment after which you will install DOS2.

The problem with D:OS's is not just the terrible humor (though it is indeed terrible), but the equally terrible non-humorous part of the writing. The whole Sourcery bullshit with the void dragon, and sourcerers, and all that crap. Even if you were to remove all the humor entirely, whatever was left would still be cringe inducing on its own, and is made more so by the presence of the humor. Each of these things alone would be enough to make the games bad, but together, they guarantee that anyone with triple digit IQ has their eyes glaze over within an hour or two and uninstalls soon thereafter.

Slimu

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I played Divine Divinity, Divinity 2, Dragon Commander, Divinity: Original Sin 1 & 2 and I've always stopped after starting the second chapter. It's probably the only developer whose games I don't consider bad, but for some reason, I can't muster enough energy to complete them. Even after a few years, I don't want to continue from where I left them. I feel that while the combat is decent, it's not enough to carry the games on it's own.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom