Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

If you could help design TES6; what would you do?

Sorry guyses, but this thread is pointless. There are actually a lot of flawed RPGs that you can play this kind of "how-to-improve" games with, but the problem with Bethesda is that they are not good at any single aspect of RPG or video game design. Their combat always sucks, in every single game. The only game they had passable writing in was Morrowind, and there, it was only for a part of the main quest and some in-game books, and was negated to a large degree by other parts of the main quest, lethally boring side quests, and the wikipedia-style dialogue. And that was the HEIGHT of their writing power, and soon regressed to the mean of "I am looking for my dad/son/dog/robot/whatever." Their exploration is almost always ruined by the copy-paste nature of their points of interest. Their character development is comically bad, to the point that the best way to develop a strong character in a Bethesda game is not to level up at all. Their graphics and animations, from the days of clockwork scarecrow NPCs of Vvardenfell to the days of Skyrim horses galloping up cliffs to the almighty bloom of Oblivion are cringeworthy. So if you take away the two words "huge" and "open", there is nothing of value in Bethesda games. So why even try to think of how to improve them? You wouldn't try to improve a turd, you would come up with something else.

My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Some good dungeon design, that's all I ask for. They actually got close in Skyrim with the one big dwarven ruin, and the expansion dungeon on the glacier. I suppose I see early TES as inspired by Ultima Underworld, so I really just want a TES game all set in one large and interesting dungeon with actual interesting puzzles. Fuck TES, just give me another Arx Fatalis.

Jimbob

Literate
Yeah, it never really felt like you could actually get lost in a Skyrim dungeon, they were all kinda really small apart from the main questline ones.

Fying mounts is an obvious inclusion as well.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Remove all RPG elements and make it a GOOD and FUN medieval FPS like Dark Messiah of Might and Magic was. Focus on the combat and its mechanics rather than "skills" and RPG "elements".
Add some really cool backdrops and monsters and so on, some story with a couple of twists and done.
It's obvious Bethesda is going away from RPGs with every game, so at least make something good out of it

There is nothing good or fun about popamole games for retards. Only rpgs are good games. Why do you idiots even post on this site. There are a billion other sites that are specifically for general gamers like you. Why infest what is supposed to be the only hardcore rpg site with your casual, general gaming filth and retardation. No game was ever fixed or made better by being less of an rpg. And anyone thinking this clearly should get the fuck out and go to whatever general gaming sites are popular. You retards aren't wanted here.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I understand why you don't have the "possibly retarded" tag. The possibly is a redundant word.
But "shitposter"? Fits like a glove

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I think a true hardcore gamer tries all genres of games and plays many of them regularly. Only then can you have a good perspective and a frame of reference when judging one individual game or genre. There is a lot of crap out there but there are occasional masterpieces, and if you only play RPGs, you miss out on some great experiences, many of which have ideas that can improve other genres of games. Only playing one type of gaming and missing out on all the other good stuff out there, makes you a casual gamer, barely any better than the drooling army of CoD retards.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
I understand why you don't have the "possibly retarded" tag. The possibly is a redundant word.
But "shitposter"? Fits like a glove

You're a little kid and a casual gamer posting on an rpg site advising that games remove rpg elements to be good. And I'm the retard. Seriously, why do you post here?

I think a true hardcore gamer tries all genres of games and plays many of them regularly. Only then can you have a good perspective and a frame of reference when judging one individual game or genre. There is a lot of crap out there but there are occasional masterpieces, and if you only play RPGs, you miss out on some great experiences, many of which have ideas that can improve other genres of games. Only playing one type of gaming and missing out on all the other good stuff out there, makes you a casual gamer, barely any better than the drooling army of CoD retards.

Hardcore gamers like people who watch other people play video games on youtube? Is this a hardcore gamer site or a side for supposedly for hardcore rpg game fans? The title should give you a hint.

You kids and your stupid general gamer console sensibilities. Seriously, why post on an rpg site if you barely like rpgs?

If there was a site for hardcore wine fans, and I drink all alcohol and have a general knowledge of alcoholic beverages. Why would I think I have anything worthwhile to share to people that specialize in being wine aficionados? People that only give a fuck about and know everything about wine? If I went on their website and told them a certain wine would be better if they removed the wine and made it all beer how do you think that would be received? Seriously? Do you think they would give a fuck if I told them they are casual posers and if they really where hardcore drinkers they'd drink all types of alcohol? I don't want to be a hardcore drinker (in this analogy) - I want to be a wine aficionado and that is specifically the reason I post on that site. I post there because I love and only care about wine and increasing my wine experience and knowledge with other like minded people.

Do you see how the above all makes sense? If you kids don't you are truly and hopelessly retarded. Not just dumb because of your young age and lack of experience and knowledge - but your mind and mental capacity have stunted growth and is incapable of understanding very simple concepts like rpg sites of for rpg fans. General gaming sites are for you guys. Not this site. This site is for rpg aficionados. It isn't supposed to scale to your level, which in the case of both of you and most of the posters here is like negative 100.

I'm honestly trying to be nice and reasonable about this. Please leave, neither of you are welcome nor wanted. There are tons of way bigger websites made just for people like you two. Really popular ones with people with your exact general non-rpg tastes. Or at least have the decency and stay out of grpg and stick to general gaming so people that actually like this genre and post here because it is an rpg website and rpg is their thing don't have to put up with your shit opinions about removing the rpg elements from games to make them better.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
You're a little kid and a casual gamer posting on an rpg site advising that games remove rpg elements to be good. And I'm the retard. Seriously, why do you post here?

Boy, do I wish that was true....

Anyways, I "advise" Bethesda to drop the act and do what they're good for: action games.
And I post here because there are people in here which are interesting to talk to. You are not one of them.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
I'd single-handedly build a small island with a cool little village on it and several medium to large sized dungeons, they wouldn't even have to spend any manpower on that suggestion they'll just have to let me have at it in the editor for a year or two, so there's no reason to reject that offer.

Only condition: there is no map marker and no compass pointing to that island.

And there are no map markers on the entire island, period.

Also, I'd suggest to return to a more piecemeal equipment like in Morrowind. Bring back the dozen equipment slots! I'd justify it by saying it helps bring in 12 year old girls who like playing dressup games.

Wysardry

Augur
Patron
With the current evolution of the TES series, VII will have no useful skills and basically be a movie.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck

Boy, do I wish that was true....

Anyways, I "advise" Bethesda to drop the act and do what they're good for: action games.
And I post here because there are people in here which are interesting to talk to. You are not one of them.

I post here because I like rpgs. Of course I'm not interesting to talk to from your sophomoric perspective. If I were I wouldn't have a good reason to post here, like you don't.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'd make it isometric with point'n click gameplay and turnbased combat. Fuckton of systemic interactivity (world, items, objects, NPC's...) and an open storyline.

Yeah. That. I don't need more first/third person stabbers.

wyes gull

Savant
You cannot be fired short of killing Todd Howard
If killing Todd Howard only gets me fired, then the missive is simple. Kill Todd Howard.

On a more realistic note and avoiding shit bethesda won't do, there is shit with the engine that could do with fixing. Third player action combat, places not being different cells, working doors & windows, conversations that don't pause the world, conversations that can be quit halfway, magic like that one game where you had to make shapes with your mouse to cast spells. I mean, if you're going to play shit, you might as well play properly polished shit.

Also, setting the game in a place that isn't some medieval yurop village and a bunch of fields copy pasted over and over again might not be the worst idea. It worked for Morrowind.

Bl@de

Educated
Give the license to another team. SureAI or Obsidian would be good choices.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
I'd add the option to put "Uninstall.exe" shortcut on the desktop after initial installation. I feel this if a much needed quality of life feature.

Shin

Cipher
I'd change the flow of gameplay a bit. Like maybe it could be multiplayer instead of just boring singleplayer, maybe there's be like... teams of players working together to bring down enemy towns or citadels. There'd be like a hundred classes (ill call them 'heroes') to pick from from all sorts of races. You could probably buy some sort of cosmetic makeover for these heroes by either winning matches or exchanging real world currency. There would be a steady flow of mudcrabs from either team's citadels, which, if you kill them, gives you money. There'd be like items you can buy in the shop to help you kill the opposing team. I think it'd be SUPER AWEZOME.

megidolaon

Kyoto Cybernetics
Developer
1) Bring back Levitation and other magic that was fun to use. "Muh balance" is not an argument.
2) Dungeons that are proper deadly mazes, and not just linear hallways. With puzzles that aren't just Wait A Minute That Card.
3) Don't be tempted to fill every nook and cranny of a gigantic world with quests and content. When every 10 steps means you bump into something-to-do, it feels like a theme park. Occasional red herrings aren't a game design sin, either. Not everything has to dispense the banana to the monkey.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
1) Bring back Levitation and other magic that was fun to use. "Muh balance" is not an argument.

Although I do agree that levitate needs to come back, despite it breaking the 3E 421 Levitation Act, "Muh balance" was never the reason Levitate was removed from the games to begin with. It was because of technical limitations. Starting with Oblivion all the towns were instanced off which doesn't work with levitate. This is the same reason you can't levitate in Mournhold in Morrowind.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
There is nothing good or fun about popamole games for retards. Only rpgs are good games. Why do you idiots even post on this site. There are a billion other sites that are specifically for general gamers like you. Why infest what is supposed to be the only hardcore rpg site with your casual, general gaming filth and retardation. No game was ever fixed or made better by being less of an rpg. And anyone thinking this clearly should get the fuck out and go to whatever general gaming sites are popular. You retards aren't wanted here.

People can like more than one genre.

Because everybody blocks his posts after seeing two or three, so tags are deemed unworthy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom