Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Grand Strategy Imperator: Rome - the new grand strategy from Paradox

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by LESS T_T, May 19, 2018.

1. Fedora Master Arcane Patron

Fedora Master
    Tying AE to mana, what could possibly go wrong. :roll:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. coldcrow Prophet Patron

coldcrow
    I am going to gift all my paradox games away. It is beyond retarded to show an abstract thing as "aggressive expansion" as a discrete number to the player and even give him/her ways to manipulate it numerically. I am at a fucking loss for words.

PS: I realize that this is just the icing on the cake. It started a long time ago.
    PS2: I know that this is somewhat hypocritical, as Civ4 started it with culture. I have to think about this.

^ Top  
  3. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Paradox is maybe the most lazy and creatively bankrupted developer i know of. I do believe that they could be saved by injecting a creative person in some high position,but i doubt it will happen. They do need a writer by nature to fix their shit,not coders and boring math people.

The whole AE is a retarded notion that never existed in real life. They should have just focused on making a empire collapse mechanics instead of AE. I am yet to see an empire that crumbles in their game,in early EU4 it was possible for an AI to die,but not in the present.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. Makabb Arcane Shitposter Bethestard

Makabb
    AE is only to stop people from conquering the whole map in 50 years.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    That is an excuse and lazy game design.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. coldcrow Prophet Patron

coldcrow
    Not the point. It is a useful variable for the AI to track internally; showing it to the player is stupid.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. Fedora Master Arcane Patron

Fedora Master
    Don't forget:
    Muh MP balance!

• Yes Yes x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    I have always hated it when you could see exactly what AE you have, and even worse, use mana points or something to control it. I know Pdox love their spreadsheets, but it should always be communicated in vaguer terms and addressed through indirect actions. A reasonable option was when you would check other nations in EU4 and they had a specific stance towards you (Threatened, Rival, etc), and that gave you a rough heuristic for their attitudes that was specific to their relative position to you. And you could change it, but only by gifting stuff, or modifying the geopolitical realities, etc., which is fairly realistic (at least within the Pdox gameworld).

And yes, I wish empire collapse & internal strife got far more focus especially in this era. Hope abounds that this might still happen somewhat, but a rival emperor coming in with a proper megastack and increasingly having provinces defect to him is a lot more interesting than some Ancient World Barbarian Coalition objecting to your Spanish campaigns.

^ Top  
  9. Fedora Master Arcane Patron

Fedora Master
    If they were to go with the rebel stack approach it would end like Vicky 2 or CK2 - Random-ass doomstacks out of nowhere aren't much fun either.
    HIP has tried to solve this with its own specific Empire Coherence modifier that stacks negative effects over time if you keep losing wars or having bad rulers but even then its easy for the player to control those factors. Decadence for Muslims also never worked properly.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    For the time, armies and Legions revolting would make the most sense.

One thing I feel lacking is the lack of a system to handle governors.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. Alexios Savant Patron

Alexios
    These dev diaries are useless. They could have released a single dev diary with a picture of the map and said "Everything from EU4 will be ported to this game" and left it that that.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Nahel Arcane

Nahel
    I don't think we can expect any innovation from Paradox anymore. At best some tweaking of mechanisms but nothing interesting.

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. AwesomeButton Personally falsified the US election results Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    The diplomatic stance could have been a good idea, both gameplay-wise and from a realism perspective. But then theese goofballs made it just into another country modifier, instead of allowing the player to set it for every country he wants (at some sort of cost).

^ Top  
  14. Life of the Party Arcane

Life of the Party

• Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Life of the Party Arcane

Life of the Party
    Show Spoiler

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Nahel Arcane

Nahel
    Still the same shit. Having to control the fort to ask a province is retarded and is actually a major problem in Eu4. Still no possibility of a 2 sides negotiation...
    Basically its eu4 with a little bit of Ck2.
    And mercenaries beginning at 0 morale lol.
    Why the fuck did they think mercenaries were hired ? Maybe because they were ready to fight at any time ?

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  17. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    They have to file all the paperwork and get visas, man

• Funny Funny x 4
    ^ Top  
  18. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    The game looks like boring EU4. It seems that they managed to take the worst ideas of EU4 and CK2 and combine them in this game. I don't feel any interest toward this game at all. Anyone else?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. catfood AGAIN

catfood
    I want to give this a try solely because it takes place in my favorite time period.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Makabb Arcane Shitposter Bethestard

Makabb
    Creating Rome in EU4 is basicaly what plenty of people wanted to do, so no wonder they are doing this.

^ Top  
  21. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Meh it lacks any flavour and any of the EU4 complexity added throughout the years.

^ Top  
  22. Life of the Party Arcane

Life of the Party

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Makabb Arcane Shitposter Bethestard

Makabb
    One small improvement I like is that the map is no longer 2d flat, but when you pan around, it resembles a globe

^ Top  
  24. Destroid Arcane

Destroid
    What about the feel of being Caesar looking at a map on a table?

^ Top  
  25. Makabb Arcane Shitposter Bethestard

Makabb
    what

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.