Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Grand Strategy Imperator: Rome - the new grand strategy from Paradox

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by LESS T_T, May 19, 2018.

1. M. AQVILA Arcane

M. AQVILA
    What countries are you guys planning to try first? I'll either try Epirus or Bactria first. I have no interest in Rome or Carthage to be honest.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • meh meh x 1
    • sheeple sheeple x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Fedora Master Arcane Patron

Fedora Master
    Nubia, in order to bring some ZIVILISASHUN to these Roman savages.

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    They are all equally generic. Either Rome or Sparta,after that it will be promptly deleted.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Does it exist?

^ Top  
  5. Life of the Party Arcane

Life of the Party
    Show Spoiler

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Fedora Master Arcane Patron

Fedora Master
    NOBODY FUCKING LIKES SHATTERED RETREAT YOU NIGGERS

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Makabb Arcane Shitposter Bethestard

Makabb
    I hope you can turn off shattered retreat like in CK 2

• decline decline x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Shattered retreat is ok in EU4,but in CK2 is cancer. Very different mechanics,still you could disable it in the option before starting the game.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Life of the Party Arcane

Life of the Party
    Probably Athens, as a bit of an extended tutorial.

But my first real game will be Tartessos or something like the Basques or the Picts or anything Old European. I like kicking Aryans back to Ukraine.

• incline incline x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Werdna's Revenge Cipher Patron

Werdna's Revenge
    Good to see they continue to keep the same gamey mechanics they use in all their games to balance the multiplayer no one but the devs themselves play.

Honestly I wouldn't mind better retreat options to keep it from being a ping pong match when someone retreats, but shattered retreat is so awful. Maybe something like having armies break up on retreat and scatter all over, giving some groups a chance to make it back if they aren't all individually hunted down, or some sort of option to let armies retreat to safe territory faster, but at a heavy attrition cost.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  11. M. AQVILA Arcane

M. AQVILA
    Why? We all have much more in common with the Indo-Europeans than some extinct culture. Unless you're Basque of course.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    ^ Top  
  12. Zeriel Arcane

Zeriel
    Wow, that doesn't sound abusable or anything. So if you ever find yourself in a battle you don't want to fight you don't have to lose a bunch of manpower to enable shattered retreat, just mash the button. I really hope the AI doesn't use this, at all.

Etruria, but I'm probably gonna mod it real early. I dislike Etruria as one unified blob, think it would make much more sense as at least a few component city-states like Clevsin.

^ Top  
  13. M. AQVILA Arcane

M. AQVILA
    There should be a heavy cost for shattered retreat. Like make morale recovery take more time, lose troops in the process, etc.

^ Top  
  14. Zeriel Arcane

Zeriel
    My biggest issue with how it works in CK2 is there really isn't much of a downside at all. It only is a net negative if you're playing a nation so small that they can siege everything down in the time it takes your shattered retreat to recover morale, and it makes raiders an absolutely unplayable mess to deal with. Maybe having shattered retreat only work for really large armies would make it less frustrating?

I really hope it's toggleable. I left it on in CK2 because stackwiping felt a little too easy and cheat-y, but if it's something anyone can do at any time I consider that a broken feature and not even worth having.

I haven't played EU4 a lot but it didn't seem to have much effect there, seemed like they tuned army damage to be so high that by the time retreat happens they've lost most of their men anyway. Of course, if they had manual retreat there it would be much worse too...

^ Top  
  15. Sranchammer Arcane

Sranchammer
    I'd like to see a combat system that simulates campaigns within a province/area rather than set piece battles

^ Top  
  16. oscar Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

oscar
    Shattered retreat should only be possible if you have a general with equal to or better manoeuver than the victor (as well as national traits making it easier for cultures who weren't averse to melting away and reforming). I agree that entire wars shouldn't be decided in a single battle but you should also be able to pull off battle of Cannae total annihilations if your general is sufficiently badass. But generally these were the exception rather than the rule.

Greater obfuscation of enemy strength would be nice too. It's kind of silly being able to see your enemy has exactly 17,000 men to your 14,000. Something HoMM-like would be more evocative and also encouraging players to gamble more ("the enemy are only a small band", "the enemy army appears of comparable strength to our own", "the enemy's numbers crowd the earth!") than camp on good defensive terrain. Better generals being allowed to see more accurate predictions of enemy force while dummies are more likely to blunder into battles where they'll be heavily outnumbered. Traits could influence this too.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  17. AwesomeButton Personally falsified the US election results Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    :retarded:

^ Top  
  18. Life of the Party Arcane

Life of the Party
    The double envelopment should be the ICBM of this era.

Here's another fun start, although I'm not really sure how the cults work.

^ Top  
  19. Zeriel Arcane

Zeriel
    Its probably just a Phoenician/Semitic nation using the same religion flavor as Carthage tbh. Paradox is pretty lazy, last I checked Etruscans don't even have their own religion. Someone had to complain on the forums to get them to change Sardinia from Hellenic to Nuragic.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    If only shattered retreat gave you a huge political hit domestically, as news filters through that the Consul's legions have decided to pack up and hit Alt+F4 on the summer campaign, and political factions pounce on his PR crisis to rip him apart.

Instead it'll be a god mode button in a game full of god mode buttons

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Zeriel Arcane

Zeriel
    That's what I was thinking, War Exhaustion being a thing would probably fix shattered retreats being annoying AF if you knew every SR from an enemy pushed them closer to complete capitulation. There's problems with this approach too like players being frustrated that they're forced into surrendering when they still have armies, but it's something.

^ Top  
  22. Life of the Party Arcane

Life of the Party

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Some Lusitanian tribe, I will see which one is best.

We're gonna kick the Romans and Punics back their little homes to cry to mama, and create the Lusitanian Empire.

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. IDtenT Contact me for a good time Patron

IDtenT
    Divinity: Original Sin
    I can't wait. :bounce:

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 3
    ^ Top  
  25. M. AQVILA Arcane

M. AQVILA
    If you're going to do that because you're Brazilian and want to play as the ancestors of the Portuguese than you're mistaken. The name Portugal comes from Portus Cale, which is modern day Porto (Portus). Portugal and the Portuguese language has its origins in the north, not the south. Better play with a Gallaeci tribe, if I was you I would pick the Bracarii (their capital is the future Bracara Augusta and modern day Braga) instead.

• Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.