Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Grand Strategy Imperator: Rome - the new grand strategy from Paradox

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by LESS T_T, May 19, 2018.

1. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Thanks for the suggestion, gonna remember that one.

Would't the Lusitanians be our descendents, too? Even if the linguistic root is not much there.

Funny you recommend the Gallaeci... I spent many years of my life living in a place named after them.

^ Top  
  2. M. AQVILA Arcane

M. AQVILA
    That depends on your origins, and the place your ancestors came from.

I don't know how much you know about the history of Portugal but this should tell you all you need to know.

Here you have maps of pre-Roman times:

Here's a map of Hispania during the time of the first emperor of Rome:

After the fall of Rome 560 A.D.:

After the full conquest by the Visigoths, but before the invasion of the muslims:

Conquest by the muslims 750 A.D.:

After the invasion of the muslims 1000 A.D.:

County of Portugal 1070 A.D.:

Language:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
    • nice nice x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. DJOGamer PT Arcane

DJOGamer PT
    There is still to this day alot of discussion amongst our historians if we are descendant of the Lusitanian tribes (in the genetic sense). This idea originated in the renaissance.
    But ultimately that question doesn't really matter. Because the Lusitans have greatly impacted our culture ever since the country's inception, and as such they are deeply connected to our identity.
    So we are kinda their "spiritual successors".

^ Top  
  4. M. AQVILA Arcane

M. AQVILA
    I disagree. I don't know where that view came from but those above the Douro river have nothing to do with the Lusitans.

Basically Portuguese identity is as follows:

- Before the Romans: Mostly Celtic with Lusitan in the center-east and a bit of Turdetanian in the south.
    - Under Roman rule: Above the Douro river is Gallaecia, bellow the Douro river is Lusitania. Heavy Latinization, including laguage.
    - Under Germanic tribes: Above the Tejo river were the Suebi, below it were the Visigoths. Eventually the Visigoths conquer all of Iberia.
    - Under Muslim rule: All of the lands that constitute modern Portugal were part of the caliphate. More Arabic influence in the south than in the north.
    - Early Reconquista: County of Portugal with its capital in Braga under the Kingdom of Asturias and then Kingdom of Galicia.
    - Late Reconquista: A Burgundian noble called Henri becomes ruler of the county of Portugal, the capital is Braga. His son Afonso Henriques becomes King of Portugal, with its capital in Guimarães. Eventually the capital moves to Lisbon in the future.

The name "Portugal" comes from "Portucale", modern day Porto.

Portuguese language comes from the Galician-Portuguese, a romance language originating in Galicia.

Portuguese roots come from the north, not the south. Eventually when the capital moves to Lisbon, that's when the kings start to adopt more the culture from that area.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. DJOGamer PT Arcane

DJOGamer PT
    Dude this is not something you're going to learn in wikipedia articles. But only if you were Portuguese and grew in this little corner of Europe.
    So trust me when I tell you this. The Lusitans are very much apart of our identify and culture, this a fact every one here knows.
    It doesn't matter if we are their descendants or not, what matters is that influence they had our country.
    Just the fact we've embraced their history, and the idea we are successors to their spirit, for the entirety of our existence was enough to make that impact.

^ Top  
  6. M. AQVILA Arcane

M. AQVILA
    Dude, I'm Portuguese. I know what I'm talking about. In the north we have more in common with Galicia than Lisbon and the south, I can see it in the architecture, traditions and the people themselves. Don't try to impose that view on all of the country.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Deus Vult Deus Vult x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Kem0sabe Arcane

Kem0sabe
    Mainland Portuguese have turned into some shit that has little to do with Portuguese culture, especially the cities. Moral and cultural degeneracy everywhere, abandonment of traditional catholic values, the result of centuries of interbreeding with Africans, southamericans.

Portugal as it stands is the shitstain of Europe, dropping its collective pants for every foreigner with money, corrupt in every facet of its life, with a population that lives day to day in poverty and has no ambition beyond the next paycheck.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Makabb Arcane Shitposter Bethestard

Makabb
    So just like everywhere else in Europe ?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Just like most of european history i guess

^ Top  
  10. DJOGamer PT Arcane

DJOGamer PT
    :notsureifserious:

What?
    Weren't you Italian?

Lisbon sure.
    The other regions aren't that bad.
    Also you islanders aren't free from this.

Like every other place in the West.
    Also if you think we're worse than any other country in Europe or even nearly as bad, than you are being a bit delusional.

Poverty means barely having means to survive. That is extremely rare here.
    Now if by poverty you mean, we are not as rich as other nations, then sure.
    But again we live well enough. Besides what's the point in living in a "rich" country if have to pay almost a ridiculous amount of taxes and prices are stupidly high.

And that's a problem how?
    We've always been the kind of people that prefers a nice quiet life.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Life of the Party Arcane

Life of the Party

• incline incline x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. M. AQVILA Arcane

M. AQVILA
    No. Why did you think I was Italian? If it's because of my name here then I have to say that it is Latin not Italian.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. DJOGamer PT Arcane

DJOGamer PT
    No I tought you once said you lived in Italy.

^ Top  
  14. M. AQVILA Arcane

M. AQVILA
    Nope. You're probably confusing me with Lyric Suite.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Life of the Party Arcane

Life of the Party

Show Spoiler

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. oscar Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

oscar
    I didn't even really agree with putting Tibet in CK2, let alone here.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • cuck cuck x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Life of the Party Arcane

Life of the Party
    Show Spoiler

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. darkpatriot Arcane

darkpatriot
    This Youtuber is probably (98% certain) going to be releasing some videos of Imperator: Rome gameplay in like 5 hours or so.

He had a pretty entertaining playthrough of Crusader Kings 2 (I enjoyed it at any rate) where he didn't really know the rules that well and was focused more on roleplaying, which is probably what caught Paradox's attention. He is also a pretty big fan of the Roman/Greek era and games in that period. So given that this game is releasing in a few weeks I am pretty sure it is what he will be showing.

Edit: I guess I should replace the video in my post with the actual gameplay video since it is out now.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • sheeple sheeple x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Goliath Arcane Zionist Agent

Goliath
    That was a great stream. I totally want this game now. Looks like EU4: Rome + Crusader Kings DLC. Seriously, extremely similar to EU4 it seems, but with dynasty / people management, and a more involved economic system.

ManyATrueNerd is my favorite video game streamer by the way. He is really good at his job if you ask me. I never get bored watching his streams because he is a great entertainer. He is literally the only video game streamer I am subscribed to.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Makabb Arcane Shitposter Bethestard

Makabb
    Yea, compared to eu4 and ck2 on release which were pretty bare bones, this looks like they took the best ideas from those games and crammed into one.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Life of the Party Arcane

Life of the Party

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. Goliath Arcane Zionist Agent

Goliath
    Florryworry (the newly crowned Master of Universalis) implied during today's stream that he expects to get Imperator: Rome early too.

That would be fun. Considering how similar this game seems to be to EU4 I wouldn't even be surprised if Florry starts as a small African tribe and does a world conquest. :lol:

In case you don't know, Florryworry is a streamer who pretty much plays nothing but EU4 and is insanely good at the game.

^ Top  
  23. Fedora Master Arcane Patron

Fedora Master
    I admit the game doesn't look bad so far.

^ Top  
  24. M. AQVILA Arcane

M. AQVILA
    There's this one as well.

Historical inaccuracies aside (hopefully mods will fix it), the game looks fun.

• Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. AgentFransis Savant Patron

AgentFransis
    I dunno, to be honest it just looks like an EU4 reskin with plenty of awesome buttons and +3% bonus to nose picking modifiers. I tried but couldn't generate any hype to play it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.