Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Improving Skyrim / Recommended Mods thread (Mostly about Requiem)

a cut of domestic sheep prime

So, you're saying you keep your head down while you suck dick? That would seem obvious, but then I don't suck dicks, so I wouldn't know.
:smug:
Though from what RK is saying, part of GITTING GUD is apparently SUCKING DICKS. No wonder you guys like it so much. :lol:
You have it ass backwards - sucking dicks is the reason to GIT GUD.
:lol:
Maybe if you explained why you like to suck dick so much you'd feel better?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sorry, bros. Just having a bit of fun. Alright, I'll stop troll'n. Seriously, I tried to turn things back to mods pages ago, but the constant 'git gud' trolling continued. Whatever. So long as DraQ has admitted his faggotry, I'm fine. Good that the truth is out there. :D

roll-a-die

Magister
Alright, legitimate questions now, first off, what do you guys recommend running with Requiem? Any preferred things, like Morrowloot, note I have a family and my computer is in the living room nook that serves as the office.

Anyway, what about things like SkyTEST Realistic Animals and Predators, how about immersive creatures?

Does Requiem do anything to Dragons, I know SkyRe avoids them but I can't find anything about Requiem?

I know the DB requiem patch doesn't work right. Is there anything you'd recommend to make that experience more in line with Requiem?

Would Realistic Needs and Diseases be a good idea? What about Frostfall(Note I like Frostfall because it adds a degree of realism, and preperation needed to go and just wander, I don't in general like Realistic Needs and Diseases but it does add an additional need for preparation that I find compelling none-the-less)?

I've been looking around at Hunterborn it looks pretty cool, even if it's a bit too menu-based, it looks good, but does Requiem do enough with the loot system that it justifies not installing Hunterborn. IE does it add add craftables from the loot you get from animals?

Any Graphics Whore mods you guys would recommend? I generally use STEP as a base, but I don't want to accidentally wreck something Requiem touches, so I'm forgoing using STEP as a base this time.

Do you recommend using the Unofficial Patches, or are they unneeded with Requiem?

Dear god those questions flowed easily after the first.

Requiem mods dragons - actually, it does an awesome job at making them the unstoppable killing machines they SHOULD be. Yes, Realistic Needs and Diseases and Frostfall work fine with it. I think I remember using the UP under Requiem so it'd override anything there was a conflict with. You'll have to get the others' advice for your other questions.

corvus

Arcane
Anyway, what about things like SkyTEST Realistic Animals and Predators?

I played with SkyTEST for a while, and I enjoyed it up until a point. All the piglets, geese and duck that it adds are cute and furthers the Immersion™, but it turns the wilderness into a bestial warzone. Corpses were everywhere and it actually turned a place like the Whiterun tundra barren. I love that wolves and bears and sabre cats weren't all colluding to murder me, but I couldn't walk 10 feet without tripping over dead animals.

Maybe Requiem makes predators more scarce in conjunction, but I stopped playing with SkyTEST for the above reasons.

Alright, legitimate questions now, first off, what do you guys recommend running with Requiem? Any preferred things, like Morrowloot, note I have a family and my computer is in the living room nook that serves as the office.

I use Immersive Patrols with it. It adds wandering NPCs, combined with Requiem's changes the unexpected fights can get pretty fun.

Anyway, what about things like SkyTEST Realistic Animals and Predators, how about immersive creatures?

They're ok. Immersive Creatures has a bit of a troll fetish but they're not hard to deal with if you have the right tools.

edit: I don't find that many dead animals with SkyTest, actually. Requiem makes animals less aggressive so maybe they don't get into fights among themselves that often, yeah.

Does Requiem do anything to Dragons, I know SkyRe avoids them but I can't find anything about Requiem?

It makes them harder in general. You may want to use something like Mighty Dragons if you want to make them more special and unique.

I know the DB requiem patch doesn't work right. Is there anything you'd recommend to make that experience more in line with Requiem?

Not much to do, I'm afraid. Erkeil's Overhaul (ERSO) contains standalone ESPs that you can use to spice content once you get to that area. His overhaul is script-free so you don't need to worry about uninstalling it later, should you wish to.

Would Realistic Needs and Diseases be a good idea? What about Frostfall(Note I like Frostfall because it adds a degree of realism, and preperation needed to go and just wander, I don't in general like Realistic Needs and Diseases but it does add an additional need for preparation that I find compelling none-the-less)?

If you like the idea, go for it.

I've been looking around at Hunterborn it looks pretty cool, even if it's a bit too menu-based, it looks good, but does Requiem do enough with the loot system that it justifies not installing Hunterborn. IE does it add add craftables from the loot you get from animals?

It adds some craftable hunting tools. Probably won't be too noticeable unless you're playing as a ranger-type character.

Any Graphics Whore mods you guys would recommend? I generally use STEP as a base, but I don't want to accidentally wreck something Requiem touches, so I'm forgoing using STEP as a base this time.

I like the stuff this guy makes.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/users/2171250/

Do you recommend using the Unofficial Patches, or are they unneeded with Requiem?

I use them. The focus of the mod isn't bugfixing vanilla stuff, so I imagine the things it doesn't change were left alone. If in doubt, load Requiem after them so it will take priority in case both change the same thing (you should be doing that, anyway)

roll-a-die

Magister
Alright just tried a heavy armor Orc Warrior with a massive sword, boy was that slow, and then I met my first bandit on accident trying to get to whiterun to join the companions. Boom dead in one hit despite full iron armor. Didn't even manage to hit the bandit I was aiming to hit, because one of the bandits in the tower on the usual way to Whiterun sprint attacked me.

Rerolling a ranger wood elf see if sniping is the way to go. Keeping a one handed sword and shield if they get close. Here's hoping i don't end up losing my bow early on to dumbfuckery with wolves. Adding in the patches and Frostfall+RNaD and going to try out Hunterborn because it has a Requiem specific patch.

Initial setup is probs going to be Marksman(2 perk points in the initial) and Light Armor.

If all goes well with this test, going to add in Immersive Patrols, and maybe start a game that's not going to be discarded, probably a Thieving Assassiny Type because I still haven't down the Derp Brothahoods.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Necro is op yo.

Can't kill a Gargoyle though, maybe I'm missing something.

Last edited:

roll-a-die

Magister
So hunterborn I'm assuming allowed a rabbit to detect my crimes, so I'm going to be restarting that, I killed a dog and a hunter assuming my bounty would go away after I killed the hunter. Nope. Good news is, I managed to kill something that wasn't a wolf outside of detection range of me. Bad news is, one of my mods bugged it so that it had a consequence it shouldn't have had. Which was a 4k gold bounty.

roll-a-die

Magister
Dear Diary, Today I had to regen my Skyrim INI's, something I had forgotten how to do. This was due to my water glitching out and attempting reenact Picasso's blue period. It wasn't properly Minstrel-like, given that it also caused noises akin to those in hell to emit from the headphones I wear.

roll-a-die

Magister
Dear Diary, fuck the skyrim forums for telling me that that would work.

Time to Debug.

EDIT1:ENBOOST's INI isn't the problem, going to disable ENB just in case.

EDIT2: ENB was the problem, fun, I liked the memory stuff it worked with, but I'm betting enboost with the SKSE memory patch was the issue.

Hoping I don't need ENBoost again.

Last edited:

roll-a-die

Magister
Is it just impossibru to pick locks if you have a lower skill level than the lock itself, I'm fine with that, I'd just like it to forbid me from even opening the interface if that's the case. Also how the hell am I supposed to gain lockpicking XP from 10 up then? Trainers?

Lancehead

Liturgist
Take the starting perk, which lets you pick Novice and Apprentice locks, and start picking locks.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
You hire a companion to open it for you while you pick those locks that are low enough to pick yourself.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I am playing with Requiem right now and I do like it.

The overall increased challenge is really welcome, but some things are pretty stupid.

Arrow damage is plain silly. Hell, not even I would die from being hit by an arrow (except when being hit in a vital spot). It is good that they increased arrow damage significantly, but they went a bit too far. And at the same time, heavy armor protects too much from it (knights in medieval times were still killed by arrows).
But now you can definitely call "BULLSHIT!" on the guy that claims to have taken an arrow to the knee. Nobody could survive that!

I don't like the lack of quick travel (I know it can be turned on in the options). Walking from A to B is just not a fun experience and quick travelling certainly does not break any immersion if done right. They should have implemented random encounters and exhaustion instead, so that any quick travel can get interrupted by something.

Weight of gold is annoying as hell. Would be OK if you could always sell gold ingots for the full price, but you can't. You're constantly going back and forth to sell the valuable stuff you found anyway because everything is so heavy, but when gold also comes in, it just becomes too annoying. I turned that one off.

roll-a-die

Magister
Ok redid character, added immersive patrols, cause I think I have the kinks out currently. Managed to take down my first group of bandits, well, 2/3s of a group, the last fucker had iron armor just to fuck with me. Going with a Argonian Assassin/thief. 1 point of marksman, 1 point of sneak, 1 point of lockpicking. Then go from there. Probably use a 3 stam, 2 health per level for the first 5 levels, then swap to 3 magicka/2 health for the next few, training up my lovely skills at illusions, alchemy, and enchanting. Hoping that perks aren't so reliant on everything that I can't disenchant things until like 30 skill points into enchanting.

Lancehead

Liturgist
Wait, how are you splitting the points you get on level-up? Also, why waste precious points on Health if you're going stealth/magic hybrid?

roll-a-die

Magister
Wait, how are you splitting the points you get on level-up? Also, why waste precious points on Health if you're going stealth/magic hybrid?
I had been reading reddit, thought that was how it worked. Reddit is apparently wrong, or atleast their build guide is, either that or it was listing a priority. It wasn't really clear on that.

And health is needed if I'm ever going to survive a hit. IE if some fucker with a bow somehow hits me as I bob and weave.

Made it to whiterun finally, because whiterun is a fairly good place to stop, sell, get carriage money, and then head to riften and get some better armor and some quests that hopefully won't end with be dead via guard.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom