Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Improving Skyrim / Recommended Mods thread (Mostly about Requiem)

racofer

Thread Incliner
Better Quest Objectives

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/11135

Makes it possible to play through quests with quest markers turned off. If you can swallow the fact that your character magically knows where Cave Y is located despite not getting any directions.

Also discontinued since March 2012, so it doesn't cover the DLC's.

Better Quest Objectives has been updated :

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/32695/

Your previous qualms shall now be at ease.

Proof that modders are retarded:

My archive manager is reporting that your mod is encrypted!

If you get that message, your archive manager does not support the compression I used for the archive. (IZarc is confirmed to report this erroneous message, if there are any others, please let me know) The easiest fix for that is to install the completely free and very useful 7-zip archive manager, which is confirmed to open the archive correctly. WinRAR 4.20 as well as Free Opener are confirmed to work with the archive. But really, my personal recommendation is to use 7-zip, or 7-zip and WinRAR two-fisted style.

If you are using one of the compatible archive managers, and you are getting a similar error - then the file got corrupted somehow, and you need to try again.

What compression do you use for your mods, anyway?

Using 7-zip 9.20, I compress my files with the LZMA2 method, maximum level, 32 mb dictionary size, 64 word size, and non-solid compression. (Sometimes, I do solid, but that's not often, because installing with a non-solid archive is much faster when you are talking about using managers like Wrye Bash.)

The guy uses an unusual compression mechanism for his mod, thus breaking Nexus Mod Manager support for it, and says that it's because he uses super advanced omg compression algorithms for it.

But his file size of only 168kb... why couldn't this morANZ! use the usual rar or zip file everyfuckingbody else uses?

DraQ

Arcane
Oh, you got me. :oops:

But no, I don't care that much about it, it's just jarring when you have silent NPCs from a mod in a game with full voice acting. Or a huge difference in the recording quality between the modded NPCs and the ones in the base game.
I agree with that.
No or partial voice acting is no problem if game itself has no or partial voice acting and has been created with that in mind (for example separate text only dialogue windows which is probably the best solution as it allows for large volumes of text and tells player to not expect VOs at this point, even if the game has out of dialogue speech - Morrowind, STALKER).

Having some characters speak normally, with view focused on their faces, lips moving and everything, then some others just stare creepily at you while they text you telepathically is just jarring.

Isn't the picking and choosing of mods a LARPing activity?
What about picking and choosing games you want to play?

mindblown_st.gif

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The guy uses an unusual compression mechanism for his mod, thus breaking Nexus Mod Manager support for it, and says that it's because he uses super advanced omg compression algorithms for it.

But his file size of only 168kb... why couldn't this morANZ! use the usual rar or zip file everyfuckingbody else uses?

Modders are always prissy little shits about that kind of stuff. It's their version of turn-based versus real-time with pause.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/8429

Interesting NPCs mod

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet, as it's definitely one of the best mods for skyrim. For storyfags, anyway.

Why the fuckingly fucking fuck would I want to talk to more shitty skyrim npcs? Also the voice actors are only 0.2 kilobytes better than Bethesda's.

Time out, faggot. Corner! NOW.

Gord

Arcane
Does Skyrim also have the same horrible 4 voice actors that do all the VO in the game?

I think it has 5 or 6...

:troll:

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/8429

Interesting NPCs mod

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet, as it's definitely one of the best mods for skyrim. For storyfags, anyway.

Quality is a bit hit-or-miss. Some are nice, esp. some followers, but there are some terrible clichè NPCs as well. Emo-assassin with a heart of gold, anyone?

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
No, it has over 70 IIRC but you only hear about 20 of them with any frequency. Typical Bethesda.
Yeah, it's basically the same number as Oblivion - roughly 2 per race (1 per gender) but they mix it up more so that it's less obvious the voices are repeating when you have a town full of mostly 1 race. Though the orcs all sound the same...

The game does indeed have something like 70 but most are relegated to minor/story roles, for some dumb reason.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
No, it has over 70 IIRC but you only hear about 20 of them with any frequency. Typical Bethesda.
Yeah, it's basically the same number as Oblivion - roughly 2 per race (1 per gender) but they mix it up more so that it's less obvious the voices are repeating
I followed the nord guy to the Riverwood, talked to his brother-in-law, bought some armor from the blacksmith and set out to explore the world before starting the main quest proper. The first quest I activated was to help some guy with cleansing his family tomb from undead and necromancers. Satisfied with this massive amount of exploration, I set out for Whiterun where I first ran into the fighter's guild being racist against some poor giant who only wanted to buy a carrot or some shit from the local farmer. One of the men was a man named Vilkas who told me I looked strong and suggested I go to their guild hall. Then I entered Whiterun and ran into a guy from one of the major families. We talked about a bard before I told him to fuck off. I found a priest of Talos who was most likely insane. Told him to fuck off as well. I entered the palace and met the jarl guy who told me to fuck off back to some old ruins north of Riverwood and retrieve some stone tablet or whatever. Alright, alright, chill, I said and headed to the stables to buy a horse from the stables guy because fuck walking and then it hit me like a bird shitting down my neck; all these men had the same voice actor. Then I quit the game and masturbated to a picture of pink hair girl from Gundam to calm down.

DraQ

Arcane
Skyrim has more voice actors, better voice acting and better distribution of voice acting than oblivious.

The last is due to change in dialogue system - since you can no longer meaningfully interact with filler NPCs, major characters (like Jarls) are given much higher volume of dialogue.
It's obviously inferior to partial voice acting, but compared to oblivious' voiced wikilogue reduced to complete inanity due to monetary and storage consideration it's much lesser of two evils.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Skyrim has better distribution of voice acting than oblivious.
If you run into the same voice actor again and again within the first hour of the game then that's not better distribution. I can see this voice actor being partially exclusive to the "Whiterun area" and running into other voice actors dominating other exclusive areas. Maybe I'm wrong about this but fuck off I'm never wrong.

edit: also it's Far Faggot 3.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
The biggest problem with Oblivion's voice acting was how inconsistent it was. You'd be speaking to a beggar who sounds like a $5 hooker who smokes too much, then you ask her for rumours and suddenly her entire voice changes.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Skyrim has better distribution of voice acting than oblivious.
If you run into the same voice actor again and again within the first hour of the game then that's not better distribution.
You cleraly haven't played oblivious then.
:smug:

Also:
What, outlander? Why do you bother me?
No, I just don't remember bad games. Talk to me in a year or so and I won't be able to tell you anything about Skyrim beyond the most basics. Skyrim have more voice actors but absolutely suck at distributing them properly. Riverwood for example have three characters all voiced by one guy and all children (two in Riverwood) are voiced by Todd Howard's sex-changed son-daughter thing. It's extra obvious since the actor is seemingly incapable of sounding different. It'd be okay if he had an awesome voice and could act reasonably well, like the imperial shopkeeper in Riverwood who also voices the breton shopkeeper in Whiterun, but he doesn't and he can't so eh.

Also the only thing of Morrowind I remember is people not finding Caius Cosades and that you wake up on a boat. Also the character creation guy's faggy voice. "HMM I SEE HERE YOU WERE BORN UNDER A SPECIAL SIGN AND THAT SIGN IS". It's like it's burnt into my brain.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom