Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Improving Skyrim / Recommended Mods thread (Mostly about Requiem)

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Suddenly horse!

Alright, you asswiped cockcunts. I'm going to force myself to play and finish Skyrim and I need your help to do it! I'm not interested in mods but I do want to fix it up as best I can. So far I've downloaded two of [dr evil]one million dollars[/dr evil] of nexus mod bullshit.

Unofficial Patch & SkyUI

What else along those lines should I get? Also should I fiddle with the ini-files? No, fuck you I ain't gonna read this damn thread.
What measure is a fix?
Bugs and annoying crap. I just found a (supposed) fix for the dreadful menu system. Basically things that help me play this on a PC.

I don't care about low-res textures and so on.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Those are the mandatory ones, aside from that you could try one of the big overhaul mods; I believe that SkyRe is best for doing the main questline, and that Requien is the best choice if you just wanna derp & hike through the game.

Also, Mighty Dragons if you want to imrpove derp dragons.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Suddenly horse!

Alright, you asswiped cockcunts. I'm going to force myself to play and finish Skyrim and I need your help to do it! I'm not interested in mods but I do want to fix it up as best I can. So far I've downloaded two of [dr evil]one million dollars[/dr evil] of nexus mod bullshit.

Unofficial Patch & SkyUI

What else along those lines should I get? Also should I fiddle with the ini-files? No, fuck you I ain't gonna read this damn thread.
Better Quest Objectives

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/11135

Makes it possible to play through quests with quest markers turned off. If you can swallow the fact that your character magically knows where Cave Y is located despite not getting any directions.

Also discontinued since March 2012, so it doesn't cover the DLC's.

DraQ

Arcane
Those are the mandatory ones, aside from that you could try one of the big overhaul mods; I believe that SkyRe is best for doing the main questline, and that Requien is the best choice if you just wanna derp & hike through the game.

Also, Mighty Dragons if you want to imrpove derp dragons.
Requiem is good for putting FFFFUUUU- back in fun.

Gord

Arcane
Also should I fiddle with the ini-files? No, fuck you I ain't gonna read this damn thread.

Use this settings for better looking and less demanding shadows:

SkyrimPrefs.ini:

iBlurDeferredShadowMask=8

fInteriorShadowDistance=2000.0000

fShadowDistance=3000.0000 (or even a bit lower, like 2750)

iShadowMapResolution=2048

iShadowMode=3
iShadowMaskQuarter=4
fShadowBiasScale=0.15

And, from the display section in Skyrim.ini:

fSunShadowUpdateTime=0.0000
fSunUpdateThreshold=0.5

So bros I got around to possibly non-removing-skyrim-from-inventory and what mods should I use to make it a less painfull experience? Well apart from uninstall.exe and the mandatory nude mod. I'm in particular looking for something that minimizes the effects of level scaling.

DraQ

Arcane
So bros I got around to possibly non-removing-skyrim-from-inventory and what mods should I use to make it a less painfull experience? Well apart from uninstall.exe and the mandatory nude mod. I'm in particular looking for something that minimizes the effects of level scaling.
Requiem and Morrowloot.

Plus something that replaces menus - like SkyUI.
Skyrim inventory is the worst thing since Ebola has evolved.

CootKeeper

Augur

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
The problem I have with mods and the TES games is that the testing and playing of mods in that it's LARPing in exactly the same environment. I don't actually see the point and more importantly it does make me feel like I'm cheating the original vision - if I'm only going to play the game once.

Gord

Arcane
I always say that you should at least start and play a game for a few hours in vanilla before you try mods (outside of bugfixes of course), simply so you know what type of mod you would prefer for yourself.
In Bethesda games, mods certainly can help tremendously to increase your enjoyment of them, as they can fix certain issues with vanilla gameplay.
While there are LARPing mods for sure, I don't see gameplay/overhaul/graphic mods as such.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
Isn't the picking and choosing of mods a LARPing activity? In doing so you are shaping the world around you and your character, rather than letting your character get shaped by the world.

I guess it heavily depends on the pretext. Are you choosing the mod because it fits your gaming style or do you choose the mod because it will force you to play differently to how you have been playing it and thereby allowing the world to affect your choices? Basically shaping the gameplay towards the desired result versus changing the starting parameters of a simulation to see what the result would be.

I would more easily fit in the latter camp, but I find the idea of just changing mechanics rather than content - given that the content is fixed in the beginning rather than being simulated - a bit boring.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Better Quest Objectives

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/11135

Makes it possible to play through quests with quest markers turned off. If you can swallow the fact that your character magically knows where Cave Y is located despite not getting any directions.

Also discontinued since March 2012, so it doesn't cover the DLC's.

Better Quest Objectives has been updated :

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/32695/

Your previous qualms shall now be at ease.
This is great news, great news indeed! :)

When I get around to playing Dragonborn, I will hopefully be able to at least do some exploration and searching on my own.

Gord

Arcane
I guess it heavily depends on the pretext. Are you choosing the mod because it fits your gaming style or do you choose the mod because it will force you to play differently to how you have been playing it and thereby allowing the world to affect your choices? Basically shaping the gameplay towards the desired result versus changing the starting parameters of a simulation to see what the result would be.

Mods get chosen by everyone according to what one feels will improve perceived shortcomings about the game.
Of course what is perceived as a shortcoming is rather subjective.
Some graphical stuff aside (texture and lighting mods) I generally prefer gameplay mods that focus on more consequential character building (away from jack of all trades) higher difficulty (through better AI and more deadly combat vs simple hp bloat) and possibly the expansion of existing concepts/mechanics that I feel are represented too simplistic).

Make of that what you will. ;)

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
I actually followed that mod on ESF when it first came out and I didn't like the first release of it because the voice actors they had weren't very good and were using pretty bad quality microphones, it just clashed too much with the base game for me. Could have improved a lot by now, for all I know.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I actually followed that mod on ESF when it first came out and I didn't like the first release of it because the voice actors they had weren't very good and were using pretty bad quality microphones, it just clashed too much with the base game for me. Could have improved a lot by now, for all I know.

Voice acting makes a cRPG better?

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Oh, you got me. :oops:

But no, I don't care that much about it, it's just jarring when you have silent NPCs from a mod in a game with full voice acting. Or a huge difference in the recording quality between the modded NPCs and the ones in the base game.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
The worst thing ever is a game where voice acting is clearly either not good or really badly recorded. "Webcam mic" does not cut it, period. If you fancy yourself a voice actor at least invest in a basic "pro level" condenser like an AT2020 or any number of high-quality USB mics (Blue Yeti etc.) to do the job.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
But no, I don't care that much about it, it's just jarring when you have silent NPCs from a mod in a game with full voice acting.

Yeah, it's the clash that makes it weird. Same thing (IMO) with the old games that had 90% silent dialog but random spoken words.

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
For the most part the voice acting seems pretty professionally done (decent acting, good quality microphones) in that mod.

Storyfags care about lore and canon status.​

The mod author claims all of it is lore-friendly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom