Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Improving Skyrim / Recommended Mods thread (Mostly about Requiem)

You are supposed to level up a bit, yes. That's so you can't kill a dragon with a rusty iron sword like in vanilla. In any case, the fact the "starting dungeon" was fucking hard should be an indication it's not really the "starting dungeon" anymore. Make sure to read the readme next time.

As for grinding, it's a huge open world, there's plenty of stuff to do to get you to a reasonable level to take on the main quest.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Using proper tactics is shody now? If you don't have good heavy armor and more importantly perks to use it to full adventage you will die while fighting 3:1 same as in reality; lead them into choke point, use fire from traps and containers hanging from the roof and kite them; Use Fusrodah to disrupt them; then break their bows; you're not Death Machine in Requiem/Sky Re and you won't be able to always press forward; which is both Humbling and Realistic.

Lhynn

Arcane
Stop defending arrows damage, it is retarded, is there an option to lower it?

a cut of domestic sheep prime

The most retarded thing about arrow damage in Requiem is that distance affects it so much and that it is so much more than melee damage.

1. Does having an arrow lodged in your guts somehow hurt less if the archer was far away? Either it penetrates armor or not...
2. A thick steel blade shoved into your side is somehow less lethal than a small metal projectile hitting you in the upper right torso...

set

Arcane
Reading a readme? Surely you jest. If I read the readmes of all these mods I download I would never get to play the game.

Don't read them, then. But keep in mind that going to forums complaining about stuff that is explained on the readme makes you look really retarded

Speaking of retarded, the arrow damage is not retarded, and thank the Nine there is no way to lower it!

Git gud nubs!

SkyTweak lets you tweak damage types, among other stuff. You can use it to properly roleplay your tanks-arrows-with-face character.

set

Arcane
It wasn't even 3v1 for me, in the golden claw dungeon I died to 1v1 situations with archers. It was pretty funny. By the way, I'm not bee-lining, I'm strafing and hiding behind pillars and shit, sprinting as much as I can. Still died too many times.

And if you're a mage, I'm sure the game is way easier, since magic was probably way overbuffed. I was using two scimitars at the time, trying to sneak around and get in close with a poor sneaking skill. One-shot deaths.

I really wanted to try and play requiem without using magic but I'm really just punishing myself. There hasn't been an RPG yet to let me do that.

My thing is, it's the fucking golden claw dungeon. It's the first major thing you can do. If you can't clear that place sub level 5 with the best gear you can find at that level (which I was in, just not heavy armor) at a reasonable pace then the balance is just a teensy bit fucked. Perks really have got nothing to do with it, because you can't even have your combat skills be high enough to buy perks until you've reached a certain progression in combat and gold.

Lhynn

Arcane
These "fake realism" faggots are getting tiresome, i should rephrase the question then, is there a way to increase melee weapon damage (and only melee weapon damage) x10 of what it is? to keep it actually coherent in relation to the retarded arrows.

It wasn't even 3v1 for me, in the golden claw dungeon I died to 1v1 situations with archers. It was pretty funny. By the way, I'm not bee-lining, I'm strafing and hiding behind pillars and shit, sprinting as much as I can. Still died too many times.

Strafe better, hide better, sprint better. Archers can't hit you unless they have a clear line of sight.

And if you're a mage, I'm sure the game is way easier, since magic was probably way overbuffed.

Not really, it's quite weak at the beginning, like most skills are until you sink a few perks into them. Plus mages are practically required you to use either robes or light armor early on.

I really wanted to try and play requiem without using magic but I'm really just punishing myself. There hasn't been an RPG yet to let me do that.

If you're set on not using magic for whatever reason, you need to rely on alternatives, like staves, scrolls, alchemy, etc. It's not the mod's fault that you can't play a magicphobe.

My thing is, it's the fucking golden claw dungeon. It's the first major thing you can do. If you can't clear that place sub level 5 with the best gear you can find at that level (which I was in, just not heavy armor) at a reasonable pace then the balance is just a teensy bit fucked.

Huge open world. There's more to do than the main quest, go somewhere else.

These "fake realism" faggots are getting tiresome, i should rephrase the question then, is there a way to increase melee weapon damage (and only melee weapon damage) x10 of what it is? to keep it actually coherent in relation to the retarded arrows.

SkyTweak.

But be honest now, your problem isn't coherence, your problem is being raped by archers. If you're having trouble with the arrows, what exactly are strong melee enemies going to accomplish? Why not just git gud, nub?

Lhynn

Arcane
My problem is lack of coherence, arrows should not be this dangerous, they should not be a bigger threat than a sword bearer right in front of me, only valid reason ive heard so far to buff arrow damage over the rest of the weapons is DraQ being butthurt about balance. and even if valid, to me its a shit reason.

i still havent installed the stupid mod, i just want to save myself the frustration, not even Dark Souls makes archers a 1-hit wonder, because it understands that it is a stupid notion, and it is kinda disgusting having to read you whiteknighting a mod when it doesnt need it, if its good it will be good by its own merits, if it has flaws then those flaws should be recognized as such and dealt with.

set

Arcane
Yes, it's a huge open world filled with horrible beasts and bandits that will one-shot you if you happen to get too close. The golden claw is the most sensible combat to try first, because it's not like Skyrim was exactly designed for players to actually find different routes of propression? Or has Requiem changed that? What are my alternatives, exactly? Am I to seriously craft for ages, getting gold from robbing people, until I reach level 10 or something? I played Skyrim over a year ago and am not exactly familiar with other areas that offer significant routes of advancement.

The archers have pretty good accuracy if you are out in the open for too long, they are pretty difficult to avoid if you get within their aggro radius, which seems to have increased since vanilla. It's not the case of simply "dodging better" when you are on the open road, or trapped in a corridor that literally has no cover. All you can do is keep quickloading and hope they either miss, or you glitche them out in some capacity by running back through the dungeon and losing them. Because you are dying instantly, you really don't have much strategy to employ.

This is my criticism about most FPS these days really, one-shot kills are almost always a sign of bad design. I mean, Requiem melee combat is actually sort of fine, even if you're underleveled, it's not like I was having too much trouble 1v1 melee enemies during the golden claw, it was really just all the damn archers everywhere.

My problem is lack of coherence, arrows should not be this dangerous, they should not be a bigger threat than a sword bearer right in front of me, only valid reason ive heard so far to buff arrow damage over the rest of the weapons is DraQ being butthurt about balance.

Because an arrow to the face isn't that dangerous, rite.

and even if valid, to me its a shit reason.

lol. Ok?

i still havent installed the stupid mod, i just want to save myself the frustration, not even Dark Souls makes archers a 1-hit wonder, because it understands that it is a stupid notion

So you don't know what you're talking about, but decided that the guy who says it's too hard is saying the truth while the guy who says it isn't that hard is a lying whiteknight. Cool story bro

,and it is kinda disgusting having to read you whiteknighting a mod when it doesnt need it, if its good it will be good by its own merits, if it has flaws then those flaws should be recognized as such and dealt with.

What is disgusting is seeing you people clamoring for an easier time in a mod that makes a stupidly easy game hard enough that it is actually possible to die once in a while (usually your fault for getting too cocky, or not paying attention. You only DIE RANDOMLY ALL THE TIEM!!! if you suck.), or ignoring the readme of a big overhaul to come complaining things aren't working like in the vanilla game. It's also funny that making a big drama over something is just "MY OPINION AND OPINIONS CANT BE WRONG", while saying the drama is unfounded is "whiteknighting". RPG Watch is over there. --->

Yes, it's a huge open world filled with horrible beasts and bandits that will one-shot you if you happen to get too close.

Don't get close to the strong ones, then. Shitty humans and monsters won't one-shot you. Well, two-hander bandits probably will but it's your fault for getting close to the guy swinging a huge warhammer around, and sabercats will eat your face if you take shortcuts through the hills instead of sticking to the road.

The golden claw is the most sensible combat to try first, because it's not like Skyrim was exactly designed for players to actually find different routes of propression? Or has Requiem changed that? What are my alternatives, exactly? Am I to seriously craft for ages, getting gold from robbing people, until I reach level 10 or something? I played Skyrim over a year ago and am not exactly familiar with other areas that offer significant routes of advancement.

Huge open world. There are a million dungeons for you to go other than Bleak Falls Barrow, a million sidequests to take other than recovering the golden claw. If the only alternative you can think of to level up is grinding for materials in Whiterun because "you're supposed to do the golden claw first", it's not the mod's problem.

The archers have pretty good accuracy if you are out in the open for too long, they are pretty difficult to avoid if you get within their aggro radius, which seems to have increased since vanilla. It's not the case of simply "dodging better" when you are on the open road, or trapped in a corridor that literally has no cover. All you can do is keep quickloading and hope they either miss, or you glitche them out in some capacity by running back through the dungeon and losing them. Because you are dying instantly, you really don't have much strategy to employ.

There is cover everywhere, you can summon or hire distractions, you can pick them from afar with your own ranged attacks, you can confuse/scare/put them to sleep with magic, you can hide and force them to walk into a more favorable position for you to attack I think you can even just block the arrows if you're good enough with shields and heavy armor (edit: or wards)

There is plenty of strategy to employ, it's just that the only ones you can think of are "tank arrows with face" or "hope the archers glitch", as if they're some kind of boogeymen instead of scrawny guys with shitty armor that are basically dead if you get close.

Last edited:

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I had trouble with archers at first. You know what I did? I got myself a shield and armor. You might even call it roleplaying. HOW ABOUT THAT SHIT?

Also: "The first dungeon that is supposed to be too hard at low levels is too hard at low levels, what a shitty mod!" Fucking lol.

DraQ

Arcane
(who is designing this mod and what is he or she smoking? How am I supposed to roleplay my left-handed rogue?).
Someone considering dual wielding triple hit spin power attack backstab a bit over the top, apparently.

Anyway, light armour dudes are not for tanking in Requiem. They get extra movement and attack speed, minimal magic penalties if they do wear any armour, ability to actually sneak, plus reduced falling damage, they are fantastic if you want to flurry some poor tincan dead, sneak, guerilla or just plain outmaneuver someone but they just can't tank arrows.

If you want to tank arrows play as HA+shield tincan - just don't complain that mages turn you into a human stove.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
II am reguarly dying to a single arrow while wearing leather armor at level 5. It's bloody stupid, I should be able to take at least three or four of those damn things.
So, you're low level and wear low-tier level armor and gets one-shotted? Wow, that sounds great. This means there is some incentive to level up and get better armor.

Yes, it's a huge open world filled with horrible beasts and bandits that will one-shot you if you happen to get too close. The golden claw is the most sensible combat to try first, because it's not like Skyrim was exactly designed for players to actually find different routes of propression? Or has Requiem changed that? What are my alternatives, exactly? Am I to seriously craft for ages, getting gold from robbing people, until I reach level 10 or something? I played Skyrim over a year ago and am not exactly familiar with other areas that offer significant routes of advancement.
Why aren't you listening to the people in this thread? Bleak Falls Barrow is not a low-level dungeon. The Main Quest - saving Skyrim by SLAYING FUCKING DRAGONS - is no longer doable at level 1. Just swallow your pride and leave that place for now.

As people in this thread have been saying, perks are super-important in Requiem. So put perks in the skills your character is going to use. Then take advantage of those skills to defeat your enemies.
Still dying? Steal together some gold or hunt for pelts to sell, then hire a mercenary. Let him tank while you sneak up on your enemies and start bashing at them. Play cowardly and use every tool at your disposal.

As for alternative dungeons, there are hundreds of dungeons in Skyrim. Nothing stops you from going to other dungeons, why would they be all be harder than Bleak Falls Barrow? What in vanilla Skyrim made Bleak Falls Barrow the only viable first dungeon? I probably cleared 25+ dungeons before starting the Main Quest and going to Bleak Falls Barrow.

I'm sorry, but Requiem seems to be at least 90% incline - and most of your complaints are just stupid, declinist shit like "I should be able to tank with the first armor I find!!" which is exactly the kind of comments that encouraged Todd to make the entire game beatable at level 1.

DraQ

Arcane
This.

The first time I played with Requiem, I went to BFB right away (after learning the mechanics by being murderized a few times by bandit camp near exit from Helgen dungeon, managing to adjust my playstyle to beat it by using cover, prioritizing targets and generally taking advantage of anything I could, then managing to clear Embershard Mine). I managed, with great difficulty, to reach the big cavern full of Draugr and learn that 2 scrolls of fireball are not nearly enough here.

What did I do then? Turned the fuck away. Jarl may not be a patient man, but I'm *infinitely* patient when it comes to my own funeral.

:incline:

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
This.

The first time I played with Requiem, I went to BFB right away (after learning the mechanics by being murderized a few times by bandit camp near exit from Helgen dungeon, managing to adjust my playstyle to beat it by using cover, prioritizing targets and generally taking advantage of anything I could, then managing to clear Embershard Mine). I managed, with great difficulty, to reach the big cavern full of Draugr and learn that 2 scrolls of fireball are not nearly enough here.

What did I do then? Turned the fuck away. Jarl may not be a patient man, but I'm *infinitely* patient when it comes to my own funeral.

:incline:
I thought this was what we wanted. Once upon a time Caius Cosades told us to fuck off and get some training before we continued the main quest (I don't know if the Morrowind main quest is really that much harder than the rest of the game, though...), then came a time when we could go and close Oblivion Gates and slay Dragons on level 1 thanks to forgiving level scaling. This was called the Decline. Then came a mod that fought and killed the Decline, bringing Incline to the lands of Skyrim. It was lauded by everyone, but as the Decline started to dissipate, set grabbed it and cried: "NO NO, I MISS THE DECLINE, BRING IT BACK!!!" I mean, wat?

I'm currently playing Morrowind and though I know that I will inevitable become a god, my level 1 Atronach mage is so fucking weak right now. I have barely found any ways to restore my magicka, and my inept Altmer with 5 in all combat skills can't into melee combat for shit. I hid in Tel Branora with 1 HP and 0 magicka with an angry Cliff Racer flying above, after my water-walking trip to Sadrith Mora had failed miserably. I'm still very much scared to enter fights, knowing that I will most likely get my ass kicked. And this is a good thing. This is great. When I'm finally hovering over Vvardenfell, with a protective aura around me and my attributes constantly restoring themselves, sending lightning strikes on my hapless foes, I will remember fondly how I once cowered in fear of a fucking Cliff Racer.

You're just gonna ignore everything else? I deserve that for writing an actual reply instead of just posting a parrot emote. :lol:

Anyway, you already said you didn't play it, and I already said arrows aren't OHKO unless you're close to the archer. Find another thing to whine about.

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
There really isnt anything more to say, arrows should have a damage that makes sense in the context, like every other weapon in the game, you defending it because you have learned to deal with it is something anyone unrelated to this would scratch his head at after reading.

Then those people should read the thread, they'd see how it's already been said multiple times that the damage depends on distance and only arrows shot from point-blank cause huge damage, while mid to long range is quite survivable.

Lancehead

Liturgist
I was using two scimitars at the time, trying to sneak around and get in close with a poor sneaking skill. One-shot deaths.
Why were you dual weilding? Did you notice that there are dual weilding perks under one-handed? Unless you take them you're not going to be effective. Notice also that anything bigger than a dagger makes noise when you swing it.

Like I said on the last page, playing without magic is more than viable, it's in fact a very attractive proposition. I wasn't exaggerating when I said I (a high level thief) can take down dragons and dwemer constructs--two of the toughest enemies in Requiem--without taking a single scratch.

I did tackle Bleak Falls Barrow at about level 6. It's manageable. You need some patience navigating the dungeon because your sneak skill is low. But you do need the two ranks of the first perk to have any chance. Arrows are apparently ineffective against draugr, but not when you can shoot the same arrows from the safety of shadows toward traps, luring draugr to instant death.

My thing is, it's the fucking golden claw dungeon. It's the first major thing you can do. If you can't clear that place sub level 5 with the best gear you can find at that level (which I was in, just not heavy armor) at a reasonable pace then the balance is just a teensy bit fucked. Perks really have got nothing to do with it, because you can't even have your combat skills be high enough to buy perks until you've reached a certain progression in combat and gold.
If you weren't lazy to read the manual, you'd notice this:
igiD7GiJq0Zf.jpg
So as you may see, Bleak Falls Barrow isn't "starter dungeon".

My problem is lack of coherence, arrows should not be this dangerous, they should not be a bigger threat than a sword bearer right in front of me, only valid reason ive heard so far to buff arrow damage over the rest of the weapons is DraQ being butthurt about balance. and even if valid, to me its a shit reason.

i still havent installed the stupid mod, i just want to save myself the frustration, not even Dark Souls makes archers a 1-hit wonder, because it understands that it is a stupid notion, and it is kinda disgusting having to read you whiteknighting a mod when it doesnt need it, if its good it will be good by its own merits, if it has flaws then those flaws should be recognized as such and dealt with.
What is stupid is--besides you going on and on without having even played the mod--is you stating "arrows are a bigger threat than swords" just by looking at some damage numbers. You completely ignore the context of battle conditions under which such damage may be incurred. And those conditions vary from build to build, so that it may very easily shift from "arrows are a bigger threat than swords" to "swords are a bigger threat than arrows". For example, archers pose negligible threat to low level thieves. Enemies with swords are much more dangerous since they may not be able to take them out with a single hit.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom