Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Improving Skyrim / Recommended Mods thread (Mostly about Requiem)

Lancehead

Liturgist
Completed Bleak Falls Barrow and Requiem really shone there.

I'm playing a Khajiit thief and went into the barrow (knowingly) without any means of direct confrontation with the draugr. The only weapon that could deal any amount of respectable damage was an ebony dagger, but that was only useful for the initial stealth strike since I wouldn't stand a chance against any of them afterwards. This meant I had to play like a thief, rely on sneaking, use bow to lure them into their own traps and employ hit-run-hide tactic as a last resort. The latter tactic did get tedious in the final cavern which had around 20 draugr plus the boss in it, but there I had no other options and I didn't want to turn back and return later. On the plus side, I did get an enchanted orcish bow, raised 4 character levels and significantly improved my Sneak skill (from 26 to 53 which means I can get the Anatomical Lore perk).

So unless Skyrim dragons are well below the bovine weight category, they could splatter dragonborns easily.

Nuh-uh, dragonborns have way more HP than the average person. Remember you are talking about someone who can take an arrow to the gut and keep on trucking, their body density must be like that of a small black hole (which would also explain how they can carry 150kg of equipment unhindered)

hell bovine

Arcane
Cows are evil.
With that username, I don't doubt you.

(LF: Wirt's Leg, Tome of Town Portal, nuke.)
That's one of my fondest gaming memories. :D

So unless Skyrim dragons are well below the bovine weight category, they could splatter dragonborns easily.

Nuh-uh, dragonborns have way more HP than the average person. Remember you are talking about someone who can take an arrow to the gut and keep on trucking, their body density must be like that of a small black hole (which would also explain how they can carry 150kg of equipment unhindered)
It is not the body mass that bothers me, but the space. I mean, where exactly do they put that armor in? Even if you strip them naked, they are still capable of carrying everything.

Also, what is a forsworn ravager and where can I get one?

Borelli

Arcane
So after playing 60+ hours with Realistic needs and diseases i must say i enjoy the simulation aspect of it although unlike Fallout NV the gameplay aspect is much much easier seeing as you are not in a post apocalyptic world and there is water everywhere (although radiation free the river water carries a chance of disease). Most of my food came from bandit lairs. I do like the alcohol mechanic because the stumbling and falling to the floor makes Skyrim into a slapstick comedy. The bloom you get from being drunk can go away yes, apparently inebriation makes you see the light. I haven't contracted disease often (playing as an Argonian) but one thing that pissed me off is that there doesn't seem to be any cure disease or poison potions. There is an elixir of vitality which heals BOTH and because of that is kinda expensive.

I will turn it off for my next character though since i have had enough of it.

Lhynn

Arcane
Completed Bleak Falls Barrow and Requiem really shone there.

I'm playing a Khajiit thief and went into the barrow (knowingly) without any means of direct confrontation with the draugr. The only weapon that could deal any amount of respectable damage was an ebony dagger, but that was only useful for the initial stealth strike since I wouldn't stand a chance against any of them afterwards. This meant I had to play like a thief, rely on sneaking, use bow to lure them into their own traps and employ hit-run-hide tactic as a last resort. The latter tactic did get tedious in the final cavern which had around 20 draugr plus the boss in it, but there I had no other options and I didn't want to turn back and return later. On the plus side, I did get an enchanted orcish bow, raised 4 character levels and significantly improved my Sneak skill (from 26 to 53 which means I can get the Anatomical Lore perk).
I dont like sneak approach on skyrim because relying on sneaking and backstabing forces you to sneak and backstab.
To make it clearer, it makes the game harder down the line, because increases in weapon skill and armor rely on you hitting and getting hit a lot, and using sneak delays that progression, the more you do it the weaker you become, the slower clearing every dungeon you find is.
Its the same for poisons, the more poisons you use the less your weapon skill raises, the more youll have to invest on poisons to keep up. If the game didnt scaled to your level itd make sense to use them, so im guessing it works for requiem somehow.

Lancehead

Liturgist
What's the problem with that? I get huge multipliers for sneak attacks and can avoid engaging multiple enemies at once.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
So after playing 60+ hours with Realistic needs and diseases i must say i enjoy the simulation aspect of it although unlike Fallout NV the gameplay aspect is much much easier seeing as you are not in a post apocalyptic world and there is water everywhere (although radiation free the river water carries a chance of disease). Most of my food came from bandit lairs. I do like the alcohol mechanic because the stumbling and falling to the floor makes Skyrim into a slapstick comedy. The bloom you get from being drunk can go away yes, apparently inebriation makes you see the light. I haven't contracted disease often (playing as an Argonian) but one thing that pissed me off is that there doesn't seem to be any cure disease or poison potions. There is an elixir of vitality which heals BOTH and because of that is kinda expensive.

I will turn it off for my next character though since i have had enough of it.

You can and propably should turn healing shrines on as even vampirism in its first phase was easily curable in Morrowind. This mod is indeed fun when run with frostfall and winter is coming as it makes taking the Nord as your PC viable again and hunting needed to survive; you will have to murder around 20 wolves and other bambis to craft basic survival gear for northern holds and high mountains. One time my PC got drunk, fell and frozen to death in Windhelm while unconcius. :yeah: Good Character for playing hunter/survival type is Wood Elf with its bonus to archery and 50% immunity to both poisons and disease.

deuxhero

Arcane
And the easy cure of first stage vampirsim was on purpose. I think the lore mentions the reason why vampires are evil monsters is because only someone of low morale fiber in the first place would actually let it progress.

You guys should check out:

Civil War Overhaul 2.0

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/37216//?

The numerous bugs from 1.1 have been mostly squished. Its very good stuff :)

I wanted to try 1.1 but I was afraid that by the time I got to playing it, after MQ and generally late game, the whole game would fuck over itself several times as the author warned me. Only to have all those hours of gameplay wasted, so to speak. Is 2.0 better in this regard?

zodden

Scholar
You guys should check out:

Civil War Overhaul 2.0

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/37216//?

The numerous bugs from 1.1 have been mostly squished. Its very good stuff :)

I wanted to try 1.1 but I was afraid that by the time I got to playing it, after MQ and generally late game, the whole game would fuck over itself several times as the author warned me. Only to have all those hours of gameplay wasted, so to speak. Is 2.0 better in this regard?

Well I have only gotten to just past the battle of whiterun as a stormcloak. So far no bugs that I could see at least. I haven't had to console past events like in 1.1

hell bovine

Arcane
Another question: do vampires count as evil in Skyrim? Because my poor necromancer just got hit with a 10000 bounty for killing one in Morthal (sp?). :eek:

To cut the long story short, unfortunately my last game was suffering from a very annoying stamina bug (ironically temporally fixed by taking the armor off, but stripping is just not that fun when it's for work), so I decided to restart and play an honest hero this time, no accidental murdering whatsoever. Hunted Skyrims crustacean fauna in order to level up, got all the way to Morthal. Only my summoned skeleton decided to attack trolls on the other side of the river, just next to the village. Since neither can swim, the trolls decided to take the long way round, through said village. Eventually they got killed, but by now the local population was seriously reduced (and it seemed such a nice place). Checked the corpses for loot, since accidental stealing is still ok, found some keys. Explored the houses, found a vampire. At level 3 there is only one solution, so run away, jumped into water, vampire followed and got stuck due to inability to swim. So my necromancer pulls out his bow and silver arrows and vanquishes the evil monster, only to be hit by a huge bounty and, again, another accidental murder to his account. :| Now I generally suck terribly at playing heroic characters, but this seems a bit excessive.

Lhynn

Arcane
Getting constant crashes on my game lately, if not outright turning off my comp, does anyone know what could be causing this?

If you added mods recently, try playing without those.

If you updated your drivers recently, try reverting to the old ones.

Another question: do vampires count as evil in Skyrim? Because my poor necromancer just got hit with a 10000 bounty for killing one in Morthal (sp?). :eek:
Could be that you killed it while the game didn't consider it as a "hostile" character anymore, which counts as murder.

Also, Morthal has a quest involving vampires and their thralls, maybe you killed one of them before you were "supposed to" and the game bugged out.

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
Would be cool if someone compiled all the must have mods in the same post.

Anyway, im going to delete and restart a new install, you guys said mod manager was crap, what was the name of the manager i should be using?

Would be cool if someone compiled all the must have mods in the same post.

Nah, all the "must have" lists I've seen have stuff like "prettier Lydia" and such things. It's really up to the individual. If you don't want to bother hunting for individual mods, just grab a big overhaul like Skyre, ERSO or Requiem.

This list is pretty solid however.

http://www.skyrimgems.com/

Anyway, im going to delete and restart a new install, you guys said mod manager was crap, what was the name of the manager i should be using?

Mod Organizer.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/1334/

hell bovine

Arcane
If you added mods recently, try playing without those.

If you updated your drivers recently, try reverting to the old ones.

Could be that you killed it while the game didn't consider it as a "hostile" character anymore, which counts as murder.

Also, Morthal has a quest involving vampires and their thralls, maybe you killed one of them before you were "supposed to" and the game bugged out.

So I googled the place and you're right, it is apparently quest related (and I thought having to google how to fail the cannibal quest was bad; I didn't expect trying to play a hero in Skyrim could be actually difficult :/). Anyway, decided to reload, Morthals upstanding citizens can keep their vampires in their basements if it makes them happy. Although the 'not hostile anymore' problem could actually explain where the random numbers on my necromancers murder score came from. :)

Lancehead

Liturgist
The npc AI can be utterly broken at times in this game. So I'm in a bandit place, I pick up a bow to check its stats, don't like it and drop it. Later I'm hiding from bandits and crouch near where I dropped the bow. A bandit runs up to the bow says something along the lines of "you dropped this, take it" and the bow is placed in my inventory. All the while my status is Hidden.

So many things wrong in that little event that only Bethesda can manage it.

DraQ

Arcane
Actually, that may be lulzy (it is) but if Beth didn't attempt to make its AI reactive it wouldn't happen and most of the time reactivity works pretty nicely in Skyrim and plays actual role in game, in contrast with oblivion.

Even without Beth's :hearnoevil: testers and QA team it's pretty hard to test this kind of system thoroughly.

Lancehead

Liturgist
I think that that particular AI behaviour can be tweaked a bit to make npcs spot displaced items which can improve stealth.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom