Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Space Sims - post 'em if you find 'em

130 years ago we knew fuck all of physics of flight, hence air battles would be a almost unthinkable (unless it meant dudes shooting muskets at each other from balloons). Currently we have pretty good idea how physics of spaceflight works.
that's what they said 130 years ago.

so it would just be a N+1 game to overload it.
same way as you need 1 kevlar armor to negate 1 gun?

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

ShaggyMoose

Savant
Hmm, seems I actually have that game already from an Itch.io Ukraine bundle... I should give it a shot.

EDIT: Seems this is still in early access, so I will probably leave it in the oven for a bit longer.

Last edited:

Demo.Graph

Liturgist
130 years ago the concept of "air battles" would have been the most retarded fanfiction ever.

There was this duel using hot air balloons and shoguns in France 1808.
UD1ejcN.png

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Throwing this here for lack of a better thread.

That slammed my nostalgia buttons.

I received WCIV for Christmas, as I eventually received every WC game and expansion throughout my childhood and teenage years—ending with Prophecy, which I actually never got to play, because the family computer wasn't quite up to spec and I moved out into the big old world not long after.

WCIV seemed incredible to me as a teenager; even seeing snatches of its FMV sequences and hearing portions of the score again now, I suspect it still is, in a schlock/B-movie kind of way. The actual flight mechanics are no doubt as arcade-y as every Wing Commander ever.

Not to worry, I was also a huge submarine and flight simulator fan back in the good old days. My first flight sim was Chuck Yeager's Air Combat, which I received for Christmas in 1991, the year it came out. Damn, it's been 31 years....

utter shit.

The landing game. Most of the time is spent clicking on a destination and aligning the ship to the green lights (which is just too simple with a fighter ship, and annoying and cumbersome with a transport). No skill whatsoever is required during fights, it's all a matter of time. Interface is lacking, with some very as irritating as pointless extra steps, like the extra confirmation after refuels and repairs.

ShaggyMoose

Savant
I feel like I have seen a lot of that before, mostly in Zero Falls which I am still waiting to become polished enough to be bothered playing with six years after the Kickstarter campaign...

ShaggyMoose

Savant
Found this randomly on Steam and it looks interesting due to the fact that it has both interplanetary and planetary management and combat. I can't really think of any other title that has done that to any degree of detail.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1672320/Fragile_Existence/

This had a cross-link to another title due in 2023 from the same publisher, which also seems a little different from the usual, coming across as a mix of Deuteros and 2D tactical ship combat.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1280190/Falling_Frontier/

Neither developer has any previous games listed on Steam, so I can't speak to likelihood of delivery or quality...

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Found this randomly on Steam and it looks interesting due to the fact that it has both interplanetary and planetary management and combat. I can't really think of any other title that has done that to any degree of detail.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1672320/Fragile_Existence/

This had a cross-link to another title due in 2023 from the same publisher, which also seems a little different from the usual, coming across as a mix of Deuteros and 2D tactical ship combat.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1280190/Falling_Frontier/

Neither developer has any previous games listed on Steam, so I can't speak to likelihood of delivery or quality...
Same publisher is also releasing this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom