Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Is Aerie from BG2 underage?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
How did we come to the conclusion she is 84-99 though?

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
How did we come to the conclusion she is 84-99 though?

You are begging the question by assuming she isn't 15 in elf years, but that's not how any of this works. She might as well be 15. That's ripe for child bearing in the medieval ages. To me, she's closer to 60 because she isn't even sure if she's older than Jaheira who is in her 30s.

Oh look the nonce can't read. Let me help you with this. Here's the rules you fucking retarded nigger shit.

View attachment 25844View attachment 25845

Going off of the official AD&D 2E rules used by BG 2 this is the following age range for elves. The first number is human and the number range is for elves using Table 4 from The Complete Book of Elves for AD&D 2E in years.

Human | Aquatic/Avariel Elf Childhood
1 | 1-5.3
2 | 5.4-10.7
3 | 10.8-16.1
4 | 16.2-21.5
5 | 21.6-26.9
6 | 27-32.3
7 | 32.4-37.7
8 | 37.8-43.1
9 | 43.2-48.5
10 | 48.6-53.9
11 | 54-59

It says on page 38, "Elves remain children for approximately 65-75 years. They grow slowly throughout these years, achieving a height of 4 feet at most." Thus, the elf is still in the pre-pubescent stage of their lives. If you disagree with the writing in the AD&D 2E rules then you're a nonce.

Human | Aquatic/Avariel Elf Adolescence
12 | 59.1-65.6
13 | 66.7-72.1
14 | 72.2-78.7
15 | 78.8-85.3
16 | 85.4-91.9
17 | 92-98.5
18 | 98.6-99

Continuing with the description on page 38 for adolescence, "At about age 75, elves enter adolescence. Whether male or female makes no difference; both sexes mature at roughly the same time and at the same rate." Adolescence is puberty.

A few notes here. Drow mature fastest out of all the Elvish racial subtypes while Grey elves take the longest to mature. The following table is the numbers for childhood and adolescence of those two compared to humans with the span of years for each human year of development.

Human | Drow Elf Childhood
1 |1-4.4
2 | 4.5-8.9
3 | 9-13.4
4 | 13.5-17.9
5 | 18-22.4
6 | 22.5-26.9
7 | 27-31.4
8 | 31.5-35.9
9 | 36-40.4
10 | 40.5-44.9
11 | 45-49

Human | Grey Elf Childhood
1 | 1-7.18
2 | 7.19-14.37
3 | 14.38-21.56
4 | 21.57-28.75
5 | 28.76-35.94
6 | 35.95-43.13
7 | 43.14-50.32
8 | 50.33-57.51
9 | 57.52-64.7
10 | 64.8-71.89
11 | 71.9-79

Human | Drow Elf Adolescence
12 | 49.1-54
13 | 54.1-58.9
14 | 59-63.8
15 | 63.9-68.7
16 | 68.8-73.6
17 | 73.7-78.5
18 | 78.6-79

Human | Grey Elf Adolescence
12 | 79.1-85.6
13 | 85.7-92.2
14 | 92.3-98.8
15 | 98.9-105.4
16 | 105.5-112
17 | 112.1-118.6
18 | 118.7-119

The table and rules are quite clear on how elves age in AD&D 2E which BG 2 uses. As such, Aerie would be roughly 84.5-99 years old for an Avariel Elf. She would be the equivalent of a 16-18 year old human. She is a teenager due to her growth as an Elf.

View attachment 25846View attachment 25847

There ya go nonce lover. The rules that you ignored so far. So we've established you like preteen girls as you are adamant that Aerie is a preteen at the ripe old human equivalent age of 12 as an elf of 60 years. Do you happen to know math per chance or how to fucking read?

Lacrymas

Arcane
JamesDixon, but how did you come to the conclusion she is 84.5-99? I don't see a reasoning for that. Why isn't she 78.8-85.3? Do you simply assume she is 16 to almost-18 in human years?

Either way, I'm glad we sorted out the main question - she is indeed underage, regardless of whether she is 15 or almost-18 in human years ;d I still want to ask Gaider, though, that would be a fun conversation.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Bioware wasn't paying attention at all to 2e aging tables. If that were so, than a 20 year old elf PC would be an actual child. Aerie would be the one raping you!

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Bioware wasn't paying attention at all to 2e aging tables. If that were so, than a 20 year old elf PC would be an actual child. Aerie would be the one raping you!
And that's a wrap gentlemen. This thread, like the elves, can die.

Lacrymas

Arcane
That's what I also pointed out. You can't be 100 as an elf PC, that would make the whole Gorion thing super weird and nonsensical.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
JamesDixon my most wonderful idol, but how did you come to the conclusion she is 84.5-99? I don't see a reasoning for that. Why isn't she 78.8-85.3? Do you simply assume she is 16 to almost-18 in human years?

Either way, I'm glad we sorted out the main question - she is indeed underage, regardless of whether she is 15 or almost-18 in human years ;d I still want to ask Gaider, though, that would be a fun conversation.

I answered this. Society rejects anything below 16 as being acceptable. This is why the Alphabet Mafia is getting their ass handed to them via laws prohibiting them from grooming children. It was even worse back in 2000 when BG 2 was released.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck

I'm breaking my own rule on not talking to staff.

Sorry I don't believe you. It will take actual written proof from the writers of Bioware for me to accept it.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Sorry I don't believe you. It will take actual written proof from the writers of Bioware for me to accept it.
:hmmm:

Play the game as an elf. The game perceives no difference at all between a 20 year old elf raised by humans and a 20 year old any-other-race. This is likely why the rules changed from "elves remain kids for decades" to "elves grow at the same rates as humans and then are locked in with youthful looks for centuries." That's how most people were treating it, ignoring the tables.

Lacrymas

Arcane
On top of that, all the other timelines wouldn't make sense. Gorion couldn't have been keeping you around for 100 years in Candlekeep and it's not possible for Jaheira to have seen you in diapers because she wouldn't have even been born yet.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck

Play the game as an elf. The game perceives no difference at all between a 20 year old elf raised by humans and a 20 year old any-other-race. This is likely why the rules changed from "elves remain kids to decades" to "elves grow at the same rates as humans and then are locked in with youthful looks for centuries." That's how most people were treating it, ignoring the tables.
On top of that, all the other timelines wouldn't make sense. Gorion couldn't have been keeping you around for 100 years in Candlekeep and it's not possible for Jaheira to have seen you in diapers because she wouldn't have even been born yet.

You didn't present proof Roguey. Since you are the Bhaalspawn then your age is irrelevant as Bhaal mated with your mother. Due to him being a god, his seed enables rapid aging in longer lived races to match humans if you are an elf. Thus, the aging rules are tossed out the window only for your character. That is not proof that Bioware removed the aging table in the slightest for the rest of the characters. That is, unless, you are claiming that Aerie is also a Bhaalspawn.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
You didn't present proof Roguey. Since you are the Bhaalspawn then your age is irrelevant as Bhaal mated with your mother. Due to him being a god, his seed enables rapid aging in longer lived races to match humans if you are an elf. Thus, the aging rules are tossed out the window. That is not proof that Bioware removed the aging table in the slightest for the rest of the characters.
That's a head canon explanation all right, but wouldn't that strike your own character and the other characters you've grown up with as unusual? You're a normal person. The revelation that you're a bhaalspawn is a late-game twist.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
You didn't present proof Roguey. Since you are the Bhaalspawn then your age is irrelevant as Bhaal mated with your mother. Due to him being a god, his seed enables rapid aging in longer lived races to match humans if you are an elf. Thus, the aging rules are tossed out the window. That is not proof that Bioware removed the aging table in the slightest for the rest of the characters.
That's a head canon explanation all right, but wouldn't that strike your own character and the other characters you've grown up with as unusual? You're a normal person. The revelation that you're a bhaalspawn is a late-game twist.

Except it's not head canon. Are you claiming that Bhaal is unable to advance the age of his children or followers? If so then present proof.

There is the matter of the Haste spell that permanently ages a character by 1 year for every time it's cast.

There is no mention of your character's childhood in the entire series. This has nothing to do with the revelation either. It's part of the character you're playing.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Can Bhaal do stuff while dead? And there is a mention of the PC's childhood - either Gorion or Jaheira herself said that she has come to see you as a baby basically.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Except it's not head canon. Are you claiming that Bhaal is unable to advance the age of his children or followers? If so then present proof.
You're the one making the claim, you have to provide the proof.
There is the matter of the Haste spell that permanently ages a character by 1 year for every time it's cast.

Another rule that Bioware disregarded. There is no aging mechanic in Baldur's Gate.

There is no mention of your character's childhood in the entire series.
Play the Candlekeep intro again. Additionally, Gorion's letter:

First off, I am not your biological father, for that distinction lies with an entity known as Bhaal. The Bhaal that I speak of is the one you know of as a divinity. In the crisis known as the Time of Troubles, when the gods walked Faerûn, Bhaal was also forced into a mortal shell. He was somehow forewarned of the death that awaited him during this time. For reasons unknown to me, he sought out women of every race and forced himself upon them. Your mother was one of those women, and as you know, she died in childbirth. I had been her friend and, on occasion, lover. I felt obligated to raise you as my own. I have always thought of you as my child, and I hope you still think of me as your father. You are a special child. The blood of the gods runs through your veins. If you make use of our extensive library, you will find that our founder, Alaundo, has many prophecies concerning the coming of the spawn of Bhaal. There are many who will want to use you for their own purposes. One, a man who calls himself Sarevok, is the worst danger. He has studied here at Candlekeep and thus knows a great deal about your history and who you are.

Gorion

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
You're the one making the claim, you have to provide the proof.
You made the original claim that the aging table was tossed out. Thus, it's your duty to provide the proof. Also, I did show that there is the Haste spell and there is a Wish spell.
Another rule that Bioware disregarded. There is no aging mechanic in Baldur's Gate.
Which doesn't apply to the events prior to the game. Nice try though.
Play the Candlekeep intro again. Additionally, Gorion's letter:
Which says nothing about Haste or Wish spells being used. Since Gorion was a wizard of high level he would know those spells and could have used them to prepare a non-human Bhaalspawn by aging them.

The protagonist of the Bhaalspawn saga is a human named Abdel Adrian which is canon. Your character you create in the game is not. As such, the entire story is written for a human character. Thus, we revert back to the age rules for Aerie where she is an elven teenager that is the equivalent of 16-18 years old.

Since you are unable to back up your claims have a good day.

Shaki

Arbiter
It doesn't matter how old she technically is, she was purposefully written as a pedobait, she looks childish, she acts childish. Whatever number you slap there, doesn't change anything.

Vatnik Wumao
It doesn't matter how old she technically is, she was purposefully written as a pedobait, she looks childish, she acts childish. Whatever number you slap there, doesn't change anything.
And most importantly, she's cringe incarnate. Imagine pursuing such a romance path, as if regular romances in RPGs aren't cringe enough on their own most of the time.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom