Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Is Aerie from BG2 underage?

Any ill ill from such coupling is more damning to Jaheria than anyone else. Do you imagine that the harpers stood around debating the ethics of Jaheria riding the bones of the young prophecied bhaalspawn after stepping over the gutted corpse of her porky pig husband?
Yes, it's her that is the problem, I've always maintained that. She was the one who has seen you as a literal child and her husband was killed like a week ago. I never considered that the Harpers would also object in some way, good catch.

My comments about Harpers debating ethics was more of a jest aimed at the nature of this very conversation. The only thing the Harpers would discuss, is whether to leverage such a relationship. Anything else would be absurd.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I wouldn't call the case with Jaheira an ethical problem, it's more of a personal/emotional one. There's nothing morally wrong with that relationship, it's just weird due to her being your guardian/step-aunt/whatever and her husband dying like a week ago. If I were the Bhaalspawn, I'd question the whole thing and wonder what I can expect from her from now on. Or maybe I'd think she's in shock and isn't thinking straight, she could dump me the moment she comes back to her senses.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I wouldn't call the case with Jaheira an ethical problem, it's more of a personal/emotional one. There's nothing morally wrong with that relationship, it's just weird due to her being your guardian/step-aunt/whatever and her husband dying like a week ago. If I were the Bhaalspawn, I'd question the whole thing and wonder what I can expect from her from now on. Or maybe I'd think she's in shock and isn't thinking straight, she could dump me the moment she comes back to her senses.
Let's be real here, Jaheira probably cheated on Khalid well before his departure (and we can't rule out that she did it with the Bhaalspawn).

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Let's be real here, Jaheira probably cheated on Khalid well before his departure (and we can't rule out that she did it with the Bhaalspawn).
Define cheating in the Forgotten Realms. Since city-wide orgies are a thing (as we learned some pages ago) I doubt anyone cares if their romantic partner is doing the deed with some stranger.
Before anyone says anything about that drow, keep in mind, people are racist as fuck against drow, and Viconia probably still thinks of you as property.

Lycra Suit

Prophet
Possibly Retarded
I personally romanced him

latest

and him

dornportrait.jpg

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I'm pretty sure you can google this as this dialog was right in the game --

Aerie: Imoen ... you grew up in Candlekeep, too, did you not? Since you were very young?
Imoen: Yup. I was climbing the walls and driving the monks up them since I was a little girl. Why?
Aerie: Well ... you grew up with (CHARNAME) then, didn’t you?
Imeon: Sure did. We were both Gorion’s wards and it wasn’t like there were a lot of us kids around, you know.
Aerie: I have a few questions about (CHARNAME) then ... if you would’t mind my asking? They’re a bit ... personal.
Imoen: Heck, I don’t mind. Uh ... (CHARNAME) might though. You think (HE or SHE) can hear us?
Aerie: Does (CHARNAME) mind that, unlike birds, I have a menstrual cycle and do not enter into estrus ... if you wouldn’t mind my asking?
Imoen: As Gorion always said there are times when it’s worth getting into it. I think (CHARNAME) would agree!
Aerie: Let’s go talk about this somewhere more private, then. I’m just dying of curiosity ...

So at least she acknowledges she is having regular periods and understands that humans are sexual creatures. I'd say it's ok. I doubt there is a firm age of consent but the MC would not get in trouble as Aerie is aware of her ... sexual state of affairs... and is in a sense putting out feelers to other party members that she would desire sexual intercourse with the MC.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I personally romanced him

latest

and him

dornportrait.jpg
Viconia > Dorn > Everyone else tbh. Dorn is the only character in recent memory who comments on your body and how the blood splatter on your chest turns him on. Which is kinda hot tbh, not gonna lie. The difference between the man (if we don't count Dorn) and the women in BG2 is that the women are very obviously "typecast". As in, you have the dominatrix you have to redeem with your half-god cock, the teenage innocent who you have to protect and get preggo on the side, and the widowed cougar who can't help but throw herself into your half-god arms. Anomen is just an asshole, but that's who he is, he isn't written to be a type per se. Dorn is also not written this way. I have no idea about the other 2 Beamdog abominations, never took them in my party. I've seen enough ero visual novels to immediately recognize harem-style characters.

Maybe this is because they were written by straight men for straight men, but that doesn't really let them off the hook. It feels like the women were written as romances first. Actually, no, it's not romances because a romance implies chemistry, they were written as sexual conquests first and characters second, and this is why there are weird implications to romancing Jaheira and Aerie. I've noticed this for a while now in most video games, and I'm not the only one. I wouldn't be surprised if they killed off Khalid only for Jaheira to be "available" (more like usable) for cock insertion. I'm sure Gaider didn't voice his opinions then.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
The hate on Khalid is honestly unwarranted, he's a bro. It would've been better if his harpy wife (pun intended) was killed off instead.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Maybe this is because they were written by straight men for straight men, but that doesn't really let them off the hook. It feels like the women were written as romances first.

Aerie was written by Gaider. :M

From Beneath a Starless Sky:

Gaider: We discussed, "Let's give them arcs," and then the idea of romances came up. We initially were supposed to have six: three female, three male. We were interested in that, but what the romances would be? I don't think we [knew]. It wasn't like we had direction such as, "Make it emotionally resonate." We were just trying to write a good story. As I recall, that's all we were trying to do. It was a little weird, because romance in a video game seemed like a weird thing. We weren't sure how we would do this.

I remember when I was sitting down and trying to write romances, I was just trying to make it an interesting story. I was trying to figure out what to do with Anomen. That was actually my first romance, and I didn't know what to do with him. I didn't create his character. The first part of his character writing had been done by, I think, Rob Bartel, one of the other writers. And [the character] was kind of an asshole. I had followed up on that, here's this arrogant paladin guy, based on what Rob had started. Then at some point I remember James saying, "Okay, he's the first male romance." And I was like, "Really? Really? Anomen? You think...? Okay. Sure. I'll figure it out."

I was trying to take Anomen and figure out, okay, how would you romance this guy? I didn't give any thought, really to who the audience was or if it would be an emotional thing. I just thought, If this were a story I were writing, like a book, how would it play out? Drama is just a thing that has to happen. I didn't feel pressured to make it engaging for the player. I just thought, Well, what do I feel like? What do I think is cool?

Same thing when I wrote Aerie and Viconia [DeVir] romances. They were kind of dropped in my lap because I wasn't supposed to do the female romances at all, but Luke was falling way behind, so they said, "Why don't you do these?" So I was like, okay, they're very different from each other, so I took two different [approaches]: Aerie being the damsel in distress, Viconia being a femme fatale. When I did tabletop, I would sometimes give my players romances. If they were romancing a player in my game, how would I write that story? That's all.

Though if Kristjanson's ever said anything about why they chose Jaheira, I've never seen it.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Gay men can still be sexist. Notice how the femme fatale gets killed off at the end, and the two 'proper' romance options get a happy ending.

I had followed up on that, here's this arrogant paladin guy, based on what Rob had started. Then at some point I remember James saying, "Okay, he's the first male romance." And I was like, "Really? Really? Anomen? You think...? Okay. Sure. I'll figure it out."
What the fuck were they thinking. If there was only going to be one male romance option it should've been literally anyone else, even Jan.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Aerie: Does (CHARNAME) mind that, unlike birds, I have a menstrual cycle and do not enter into estrus ... if you wouldn’t mind my asking?
Imoen: As Gorion always said there are times when it’s worth getting into it. I think (CHARNAME) would agree!

These lines do not exist in this game. I just checked.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Gay men can still be sexist. Notice how the femme fatale gets killed off at the end, and the two 'proper' romance options get a happy ending.

I had followed up on that, here's this arrogant paladin guy, based on what Rob had started. Then at some point I remember James saying, "Okay, he's the first male romance." And I was like, "Really? Really? Anomen? You think...? Okay. Sure. I'll figure it out."
What the fuck were they thinking. If there was only going to be one male romance option it should've been literally anyone else, even Jan.
Other male romance options could also lead to alternate endings:
- Haer'Dalis: gives you infernal HIV as soon as you sleep with him and you slowly grow weaker until you die;
- Minsc: he fucks you with his giant barbaric dick so hard that you die;
- Yoshimo: he has a micropenis and cries about it all the time;
- Mazzy: fucks you with a strap-on, obviously;
- Cernd: he must be into some weird shapeshifting shit;
- Sarevok: he is a giant chad and treats you just like a side-chick.

Erikkolai

Learned
Haven't played BG2 in 9 years, and haven't seen any photo of Aerie ever since. Tried to create her face from memory in Artbreeder.

This is what I came up with:

6a834befeec530d0e16b.jpeg

I can only conclude that yes, she seems underage.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Haven't played BG2 in 9 years, and haven't seen any photo of Aerie ever since. Tried to create her face from memory in Artbreeder.

This is what I came up with:

6a834befeec530d0e16b.jpeg

I can only conclude that yes, she seems underage.
Seems about right.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom