Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Jagged Alliance 3 announced

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Darth Roxor do we still have ppl who do interviews? We should try to talk to this team, I’m sure we can crowdsource some good questions.

I suspect they'd say only as much as THQ would allow them to say, so you know.

likash

Savant
Glory to Ukraine
How about they remaster the original? These sequels are trash.

The portraits look very bad. Wtf is this kindergarden colored bullhist. It would not surprise me if they made Ivan Dolvich gay and Ripper trans. When the fuck will this woke bullshit end?

Last edited:

Bigg Boss

Arcane
If they remastered the original people would bitch the same way if not worse. I'm just happy to give it another chance. What is the worse that could happen? Another bad game? End of the world talk right there. Burn the thread right now.

I got a cuck rating from some asshole so I have to explains myself. I finally figured out all good things die, so you enjoy what you can while you can; don't whine so much about it because that shortens the happiness you have on this planet.

Last edited:
Vatnik Wumao
If they remastered the original people would bitch the same way if not worse. I'm just happy to give it another chance. What is the worse that could happen? Another bad game? End of the world talk right there. Burn the thread right now.
Just gotta treat it as its own thing and have fun.

Wizfall

Cipher
Eventually after watching one more time the trailer and the combat screenshot here I'm more optimistic.

Seems to have some of the same important combat mechanics than JA2 : same action point system and not the nXcom one, same aiming option (localization, burst mode), same ammo system
However the cover system seems simplistic and the mercs have special skills (could work if well made).
Would have like much better a fixed isometric view all along more identical to JA2.

Strategic elements description are like in the original : they say open maps (as open as the original ?), lot of mercs with the same hiring mechanics...
I agree the portraits are not great but not awful either.

Definitely like he VA and the dialogs, strong JA2 vibe IMO.

passerby

Arcane
It will be better than the recent shovelware spinoffs, gameplay and UI roughly on the level of Phoenix Point, but with a bit of Jagged Alliance charm in the art direction and characters.

It won't hold a candle to JA2.

Aemar

Arcane
How many games have exceeded that bar so far since 1999? JA2 is the gold standard of tactical RPGs; every gamer worth his salt knows that.

Jason Liang

Arcane
How many games have exceeded that bar so far since 1999? JA2 is the gold standard of tactical RPGs; every gamer worth his salt knows that.
For me personally, at least:
- Temple of Elemental Evil
- Dragonfall
- Invisible Inc

And the HBS Battletech game reminds me a lot of JA2 in terms of overall quality, structure, strengths and weaknesses.

And probably a ton of games that's come out in recent years that I haven't played, like Shadow Tactics.

And the real gold standard is UFO that came out 5 years before JA2.

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
Darth Roxor do we still have ppl who do interviews? We should try to talk to this team, I’m sure we can crowdsource some good questions.

I suspect they'd say only as much as THQ would allow them to say, so you know.
Even within those parameters we could ask some good questions most other sites will never touch on. Ballistics systems, strategy layer, multiple squads, militia training, sticky cover vs los cover, that kind of stuff.

Thonius

Arcane
Oh, right here we go again, while I missed out on whole Jagged Alliance trend because of age and F2 I cannot(not) fail to notice that remakes suck ass. They are bad games regardless of their lineage. If they were named differently nothing changes about them. Trash is trash. At this point, you all should hope for the new Brigada E5 game.

Overall that video gave me mobile game vibes. Maybe that's the plan?

Silent Storm games were nice.

Last edited:
The Silent Storm games had excellent tech about destructible environment (to a degree that is arguably yet to be matched many years later, somehow) but they were middling tactical games with an atrocious strategic/management layer.
And when I say atrocious I mean it as "Even the first nuXCOM doesn't come off as particularly bad in comparison".

Thonius

Arcane
The Silent Storm games had excellent tech about destructible environment (to a degree that is arguably yet to be matched many years later, somehow) but they were middling tactical games with an atrocious strategic/management layer.
And when I say atrocious I mean it as "Even the first nuXCOM doesn't come off as particularly bad in comparison".
Pancerkleine goes brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

DemonKing

Arcane
Not sure if this is going to go anywhere given how many times they've already tried to soft reboot the series.

I must admit Desperados 3 was a great entry in a long dormant series (probably my 2020 GOTY), but I doubt it made much money. The console versions were on clearance for $10 here within a couple of months and it ended up on Gamepass pretty quickly too. Even if by some miracle JA3 is of similar quality I imagine it won't resonate much with gamers who weren't alive when JA2 was released.

agris

Arcane
Patron
I love Silent Storm but when you say strategic layer, you are referring to....

The no panzer mod or whatever it was called was great, I think I only played vanilla once.

Even if this fucking game had 99% of JA2 Vanilla's interface, this game would be a piece of shit. You know why? JA isn't just those game mechanics, it's the edginess, satire of the time and going off of 80s/90s action heroes. What do we have now as action heroes? The entire fucking MERC merc list bar a few exceptions. Without it, you have the other JA clones that got spawned. Some decent, but missing what made the JA games shine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom