Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jagged Alliance 3 from Haemimont Games

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
upload_2021-9-28_22-3-57.png

if you are an optimist about it, this shit here should give you pause right there

how much integrity as a developer you have if you adopt the visual style of a game that is considered reviving of tactical genre and this UI style is imprinted in everyone's mind as being from that game?
and that after even Phoenix Shit copied it before hand.

also, the UI is utter shit.
instead of being an homage to the past JA games, I bet these hacks consider that they bring the UI to nowadays "better" standards.

I've been able to rate if a future game will be shit or not just by looking at the effort is put into the UI (skeuomorphic goal, art, style, ethos, flair)
And I was right. every. fuckin. single. time.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
The worst part of this as a "Jagged Alliance" game, compared to all the others after JA2, is that this one actually uses the number 3. :negative:

spectre

Arcane
The worst part of this as a "Jagged Alliance" game, compared to all the others after JA2, is that this one actually uses the number 3. :negative:
It's quite all right, you will be able to identify a proper sequel by the number 1.14 (there's an unfinished potato mod going by that name, but that doesn't count.)

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Be glad that they did not call it Jagg3d Alliance or some shit.

Though what I see looks less like Jagged Alliance and more like a new Bum Simulator.

deuxhero

Arcane
Really, I suspect that's why they use Vicki so prominently in marketing. She's hardly the most prominent, popular, or iconic merc, but the other black AIM mercs are Blood Hanson (even less popular) and Ice Williams (might edge her out, though Vicki has early game utility).

Grandlion1981

Lead Alchemist Studio
Developer
What is the point of having the possibility to hit at different body parts? Gameplay wise, it doesn't change things much. The goal is to take the guy down and that is it. Maybe if you have different types of ammo, but a bullet of any type in the head..

mondblut

Arcane
Really, I suspect that's why they use Vicki so prominently in marketing. She's hardly the most prominent, popular, or iconic merc, but the other black AIM mercs are Blood Hanson (even less popular) and Ice Williams (might edge her out, though Vicki has early game utility).

Umm, Gus? Magic? Len looks kinda swarthy, too.

I guess they needed a negro AND a menstruating person, but only had the budget for one.

GreyViper

Prophet
Gives to much nu xcom vibes, curious how flexible is the weapon moding and how big is the arsenal. V1.13 has spoiled me in that regard.

deuxhero

Arcane

I guess they needed a negro AND a menstruating person, but only had the budget for one.

I don't see it, especially not with Magic and they don't have an issue with Bubba. Would have to check their overworld sprites though.

Khor1255

Arcane
What is the point of having the possibility to hit at different body parts? Gameplay wise, it doesn't change things much. The goal is to take the guy down and that is it. Maybe if you have different types of ammo, but a bullet of any type in the head..
I could see value in it if it reduced various stats depending on.where you are hit (legs reduces ability to move around as fast, hand reduces dexterity etc).

Could have immediate effects during battle.

Good idea if well implemented.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I could see value in it if it reduced various stats depending on.where you are hit (legs reduces ability to move around as fast, hand reduces dexterity etc).

Man if you can handle Real Time with Pause, I hope you check out 7,62 High Calibre

Khor1255

Arcane

Man if you can handle Real Time with Pause, I hope you check out 7,62 High Calibre
Thanks for the recommendation but I haven't really tried any newer vidya games since my sons talked me into playing a couple console games.

Not saying I won't but it's unlikely.

Khor1255

Arcane

In the version of JA2 I first bought Len had Caucasian looking skin. When I first looked at the character editor I was surprised to see him listed as eggplant.

Grandlion1981

Lead Alchemist Studio
Developer
I think we can differentiate Targetting a special area, from effects of a specific area being hit.
In a realistic setting, you don't really target a specific body part but more the mass and maybe the head if you are a sniper. However, seeing the enemy reacting differently when they are hit somewhere else. So I see the point, but not really from a player decision.

mondblut

Arcane
In the version of JA2 I first bought Len had Caucasian looking skin. When I first looked at the character editor I was surprised to see him listed as eggplant.

I can't be bothered to download 1.13 now, but I used to play with all 3 and they all had brown sprites. Portraits for Gus and Magic are pretty sus, too.

Khor1255

Arcane

I can't be bothered to download 1.13 now, but I used to play with all 3 and they all had brown sprites. Portraits for Gus and Magic are pretty sus, too.
I'm talking about the vanilla game I first bought back in (I believe) 1999 or 2000. No one I've ever talked to remembers having this happen and most don't even remember the parental warning label it once had on it.

mondblut

Arcane

That's... not how bullet wounds normally work. That cunt who survived at Kenosha can attest that "reduces dexterity" is quite an understatement. And JA has always been realistic, high-lethality game, not some Fallout where you can shrug off a 7.62 burst at point blank range. When your choice is between "dead" and "disabled and about to bleed to death unless put into intensive care quickly", there is no need in hit locations.

Khor1255

Arcane

That's... not how bullet wounds normally work. That cunt who survived at Kenosha can attest that "reduces dexterity" is quite an understatement. And JA has always been realistic, high-lethality game, not some Fallout where you can shrug off a 7.62 burst at point blank range. When your choice is between "dead" and "disabled and about to bleed to death unless put into intensive care quickly", there is no need in hit locations.
I suffer to disagree. Ja2 always had diminishing performance based on getting hit enough times and I think that's a good thing.

mondblut

Arcane

I suffer to disagree. Ja2 always had diminishing performance based on getting hit enough times and I think that's a good thing.

It is. Point being, when you have half of your bicep blown away, "reduced dexterity" is the least of your problems. And unless you have a task to hopefully take someone alive, or the enemy has state of the art vest and helmet, there is absolutely no point in aiming at his arms or legs instead of his torso. It's not Fallout that goes "herp derp, it takes 20 shots to kill this one, so I'll just knock his weapon out, shoot out his kneecaps then punch him to death to save ammo".

Khor1255

Arcane

It is. Point being, when you have half of your bicep blown away, "reduced dexterity" is the least of your problems. And unless you have a task to hopefully take someone alive, or the enemy has state of the art vest and helmet, there is absolutely no point in aiming at his arms or legs instead of his torso. It's not Fallout that goes "herp derp, it takes 20 shots to kill this one, so I'll just knock his weapon out, shoot out his kneecaps then punch him to death to save ammo".
I get that. But that's much more severe than just being winged (which really happens) which would potentially reduce some 'stats' but still keep you in the fight.

There are numerous examples of this really happening especially when you're talking about battles with handgun or smg type anmo.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom