Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Josh Sawyer appreciation station

Butter

Arcane
Patron
F-5_Z3yagAANERB.jpg:large
Imagine how embarrassing and demoralizing it must be to work under this guy at Obsidian. A Twitter addict who posts selfies like a post-wall spinster drinking herself to death on boxed wine.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
While reading old interviews, I finally found the key to understanding Sawyer.

It was lying in plain sight back when no one knew who he was, and then it was forgotten because it was on a website that stopped existing after the year 2000.

Behold...

azvZejd.png

Source.

What amazes me is that Sawyer was just as cringe 30 years ago. I thought he was just a man broken by time, but apparently that was giving him too much credit.

Old Hans

Arcane
While reading old interviews, I finally found the key to understanding Sawyer.

It was lying in plain sight back when no one knew who he was, and then it was forgotten because it was on a website that stopped existing after the year 2000.

Behold...

azvZejd.png

Source.
his B.A. studies are like a bunch of skills you randomly pick in an rpg, and you're like "I bet this demonology will come in handy"

Late Bloomer

Scholar
For those with a broken link

Customer Review: Witchcraze: A New History of the European Witch Hunts
J.E. Sawyer
2.0 out of 5 stars an insult to those who suffered
Reviewed in the United States on May 10, 2000
As others have written, Barstow's book lazily glosses over exceptions to her theory of witch-hunting as woman-hunting. I find this book to be disappointing on an academic level and a personal level. The most common figure one will find in this book lies in the quantitative data presented at the back of the book -- 75%. According to Barstow's sources, around 75%-80% of the people tried and killed were witches. Was there a bias against women? Certainly. Much like the bias against women that made them likely to be mystics of affective piety (something which few men ever were declared). Was witch-hunting woman-hunting? No way. Witch-hunting crossed gender lines, class lines, and religious lines. If witch-hunting were woman-hunting, we should see 100% listed for female prosecutions and executions across the board. To claim otherwise is to cheapen the deaths of thousands of men in a way that, quite frankly, disgusts me. In simple terms, Barstow seems to be unwilling to do what talented academics like Ginzburg demand that we do -- discriminate on the basis of microhistory. If you want to get a good grasp on witch-hunting, read Kors & Peters' compilation of primary source materials ("Witchcraft in Europe,") Edward Peters' "Inquisition," Joseph Klaits' "Servants of Satan," Wunderli's "The Drummer of Niklashausen," Hsia's "Myth of Ritual Murder," Ginzburg's "The Night Battles" and any other book that treats the subject with respect.

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
I always got the impression (never having taken one in university myself) that a university ‘Gender Studies’ course back then was, for a guy like Sawyer used to be, thought of as a way to demonstrate open-mindedness, interest in the feminine perspective and an even-handed attitude. It is interesting and probably no accident how those courses changed and he somehow managed to keep pace with them long after he’d left.

Artyoan

Arbiter
I always got the impression (never having taken one in university myself) that a university ‘Gender Studies’ course back then was, for a guy like Sawyer used to be, thought of as a way to demonstrate open-mindedness, interest in the feminine perspective and an even-handed attitude. It is interesting and probably no accident how those courses changed and he somehow managed to keep pace with them long after he’d left.
If he was taking a class as a way to demonstrate some part of his own ego as a progressive social ploy, then he was always the type of person who wanted attention for the same reason. Which explains why he remains among the cult.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
If he was taking a class as a way to demonstrate some part of his own ego as a progressive social ploy, then he was always the type of person who wanted attention for the same reason. Which explains why he remains among the cult.
It's probably a joke

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Sawyer making the claim that it was retailers who killed classic RPGs in the early 00s https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/1736828629517316570

Nathaniel Chapman said:
watching digitalfoundry talking about the death of e3 and dark1x mentioned it was tied to retail and I completely forgot how big a deal it was for best buy/walmart/etc. buyers to see your game which determined your shelf space and thus your sales. completely memory holed lol

Sawyer said:
it was extra special how walmart would act incredibly prudish about certain types of content but would throw all of that right out the window for GTA.

Chapman said:
i think the worst thing was the self-fufilling vibes about a certain genre or mechanic or whatever not selling well, so the retailers wouldn't stock games with it and thus they wouldn't sell. the early 00s were so brutal for this, one reason why that era was so homogenous imo

Sawyer said:
Yep. The death of "iso" party-based RPGs on PC imo.

Sawyer said:
BioWare made Baldur's Gate, which sold well, and BG2 sold very well. Black Isle made Icewind Dale, which sold also sold well, but after BioWare announced Neverwinter Nights, retailers decided that 2D iso games were dead. Temple of Elemental Evil was the last for a long time.

People seething about not being able to truly "own" digital games in quite the pickle here. All the new RPGs likely wouldn't exist if PC games were still stuck in the physical realm.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

----------
Josh Soyer said:
@pedrothedagger said:
i think the worst thing was the self-fufilling vibes about a certain genre or mechanic or whatever not selling well, so the retailers wouldn't stock games with it and thus they wouldn't sell. the early 00s were so brutal for this, one reason why that era was so homogenous imo
Yep. The death of "iso" party-based RPGs on PC imo.

BioWare made Baldur's Gate, which sold well, and BG2 sold very well. Black Isle made Icewind Dale, which sold also sold well, but after BioWare announced Neverwinter Nights, retailers decided that 2D iso games were dead. Temple of Elemental Evil was the last for a long time.

I can't stress enough how often I'd hear a retail rep declare a genre/style/look was dead with zero supporting data. Truly vibes-based forecasting, which resulted in self-fulfilling prophecies.

"See? The thing we refused to stock didn't sell. No one wants these games anymore."

Yes. The only way we were able to make Pillars is because of our backers on Kickstarter.

David Gay'der said:
Josh Soyer said:
Trent Oster said:
There was a perception that 2D iso games were a dead end from a tech investment standpoint. I was a huge critic of 2D games, mostly on the choppy nature of sprite-based animation vs the potential of 3d-spherical linear interpolation. The render pipelines were also very heavy
Sure, though ToEE addressed the sprite issue with a 2.5D approach that I thought worked quite well, personally.
It's interesting you list ToEE, as - at BioWare, at least - that game's failure was really what caused the nail to be put into the proverbial coffin, as I recall. Suddenly, iso and turn-based both were simply... off the table

Last edited by a moderator:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
maybe some were in favor of TB, but were always overruled?

turn based NWN :negative:
Yeah.
Ohlen and Ray Muzyka butted heads over combat in Baldur’s Gate. Muzyka loved the Gold Box games because they had been predicated on turn-based combat, just like Dungeons & Dragons tabletop games. Turn-based systems allowed players to think through their moves before taking action. Ohlen appreciated the classics, but insisted that turn-based play was outmoded. Real-time strategy titles such as WarCraft II and Diablo proved that the future of gaming lay in fast, think-on-your-feet tactics.

They reached a compromise. Baldur’s Gate would play out in real-time, but players could pause the action during fights to take stock of their situation and queue up orders for their party to carry out when the action resumed. "You got the finer control of turn-based, but at the same time, you got the kind of exciting action of a real-time [strategy game]," Ohlen said.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
2D and/or turn-based were out everywhere in the early 2000s. Bioware was no exception
Irrelevant to the point I was making about Gaider's statement :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom