Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Josh Sawyer appreciation station

scytheavatar

Scholar
Sawyer also claims the budget was so low that MS didn't care if it made money or not https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/1706353632952848531

"I don't have any numbers" and "relatively low budget" speaks volumes already. Sawyer is a creative and people like him usually leave all the money stuff to Feargus. So whether or not MS is happy about the game's performance is something he probably has no insight into.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Sawyer also claims the budget was so low that MS didn't care if it made money or not https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/1706353632952848531

"I don't have any numbers" and "relatively low budget" speaks volumes already. Sawyer is a creative and people like him usually leave all the money stuff to Feargus. So whether or not MS is happy about the game's performance is something he probably has no insight into.

So it was a vanity project to shut up Sawyer, his bosses couldn't care less if it made money or not as long as it kept Sawyer happy...

My question is why? What does Sawyer bring to the company to justify the trouble and expense to keep him around?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
My question is why? What does Sawyer bring to the company to justify the trouble and expense to keep him around?
The success of Fallout New Vegas gave him a lot of clout. Pillars of Eternity (the first one) kept up that rep. Deadfire's long tail eventually vindicated his choices. Pentiment's critical success justifies its existence.

Also Feargus likes him and he rewards his friends.

flushfire

Augur
To be fair to Pentiment, basing off reviews and player count on Steam alone, it seems to have done decently compared to other narrative RPGs that came after Disco Elysium. It's got nothing on Disco's stats sure, but compare it to something like Sovereign Syndicate which apparently had a $1M budget and has just 158 peak players. Pentiment has similar stats to Sir Brante & Citizen Sleeper, and better than Gamedec, Roadwarden & Beautiful Desolation. Disco looks like a miracle compared to these games, nothing seems to have come close since.

scytheavatar

Scholar

So it was a vanity project to shut up Sawyer, his bosses couldn't care less if it made money or not as long as it kept Sawyer happy...

Sawyer cut back his involvement in Avowed and you can see the end result.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Josh likes working on stuff he likes, so I don't see him being all that much involved in Avowed.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Josh likes working on stuff he likes
Time to go indie then. Maybe he should become another stretch goal in kickstarter projects.
It's a carrot and stick question. If I know Paramo and Patel are leads, and Josh gets announced as a KS goal, I'm pulling out the wallet.

On the other hand I would back a KS goal that excludes Paramo and Patel from a project. See, there is value in them as well.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Time to go indie then. Maybe he should become another stretch goal in kickstarter projects.

That would not give him a $210k/year salary. If he ever leaves Obsidian, he'll take the Avellone career path of being a high priced contractor/consultant (until cancellation).

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Josh doesn't have the clout Avellone has. Sawyer is only known on niche RPG forums for weirdos, so who is going to be excited if he's a kickstarter goal?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Josh doesn't have the clout Avellone has. Sawyer is only known on niche RPG forums for weirdos, so who is going to be excited if he's a kickstarter goal?
What clout did Avellone have outside of niche RPG forums? Far more people have played New Vegas than Torment. Sawyer has twice as many followers on twitter than Avellone now.

Cross

Arcane
Deadfire's long tail eventually vindicated his choices.
:nocountryforshitposters:

Deadfire didn't have a long tail. It flopped so hard that more people are playing the first Pillars right now.

37QhKCF.png

tiAVrIv.png

Viata

Arcane
More people played NV because it was a game that easily pleased normies just like how FO3 did. People who played FO3 and liked it also bought NV and probably thought it was a Bethesda game (as we all know, most normies only remember who published the game, if they even care about it). So playing NV doesn't at all means people know about Sawyer. Which is not the same for Torment, a game that hardly pleased normies since it was a computer only game and only RPG fans give it a try which implies that most crpg fans know about Avellone (and funny enough, they also know about Sawyer since if they care about crpgs they end up wanting to know about the people that makes them too). So we can't just assume "X was played more than Y so people know W more than they know Z". As for twitter followers, what proof you have that Avellone didn't lose a lot of followers during all that trial bullshit that happened to him? And besides, Sawyer is well know among SJW fags so obviously they also waste more time on twitter than anything else.

Drakortha

Liturgist
More people played NV because it was a game that easily pleased normies just like how FO3 did. People who played FO3 and liked it also bought NV and probably thought it was a Bethesda game (as we all know, most normies only remember who published the game, if they even care about it).
People who liked Fallout 3 didn't like NV exactly because NV was not a game that easily pleased normies, which they soon realized shortly after starting the game.

They wandered North and got fucked by Deathclaws, or West and got fucked by Cazadores. They didn't understand how a game couldn't have level scaling and would challenge them out of the gate. You actually had to pay attention to dialogue where characters explicitly warned you about the dangers in the area and what to avoid, which is too much for a normie to comprehend. They were used to NPC's unlocking their next compass quest marker and sending them on their way.

Viata

Arcane
I said bought, I didn't say they like it. A lot of people buy games they never played (see anyone that has a steam account) or ended up not liking it.

Viata

Arcane
By trailer only, you can't tell me FO3 and NV are very different games. It uses the same engine, it looks the same, it was enough for anyone that liked FO3 to give NV a try.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom