Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Josh Sawyer Q&A Thread

frajaq

Erudite
the Rare Fat Sawyer Pictures

Shadenuat

Arcane
Mca is not a writer for fallout. I understand this because i know the type. The schizo DM that comes with crazy shit on the fly and remembers billion references from popculture
Laconic things are just not for him. His writing also is just too obvious. Any character you meet made by him, you know was written by him.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Quirky reddit level humor that isn't funny

This is all over the game
And all of Fallout after 1 really.

It's almost impossible to play Fallout 2 without encountering pop culture references, but that is not quite the same thing as the idiotic zany humor of the 10s found in FNV.

Also, Fallout Tactics, the dark horse of the franchise, has none of either.

9ted6

Educated
Quirky reddit level humor that isn't funny

This is all over the game
And all of Fallout after 1 really.

It's almost impossible to play Fallout 2 without encountering pop culture references, but that is not quite the same thing as the idiotic zany humor of the 10s found in FNV.

Also, Fallout Tactics, the dark horse of the franchise, has none of either.
Like Roguey's example I don't think any of the Fallout games were free of the idiotic zany remember this humor after 1. 1 had a few references too but they were usually tame and not core parts of the game and the psykers are a blink and you'll miss them thing that are never relevant.

Fallout 3 took Fallout more seriously than 2 or Tactics did and in some areas more than New Vegas did. Zeta makes no sense but it's not as lore breaking, boring or zany as OWB. At least the aliens don't make dick jokes and pop culture references over an intercom every time you take a step.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Fallout 3 is the one with a town of children living right next to a super mutant base, and a guy named Abraham Washington who wants you to recover the Declaration of Independence, and two costumed superheroes fighting each other. That's Bethesda taking Fallout seriously.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
New Vegas unambiguously takes the setting more seriously than FO2 or the Bethesda games, pitching a fit over something like having cowboy iconography in the American west/sex jokes is completely facile.
Zeta makes no sense but it's not as lore breaking, boring or zany as OWB.
Deeply unserious opinion.

9ted6

Educated
Fallout 3 is the one with a town of children living right next to a super mutant base, and a guy named Abraham Washington who wants you to recover the Declaration of Independence, and two costumed superheroes fighting each other. That's Bethesda taking Fallout seriously.
It doesn't take it seriously but it does take it more seriously than 2. Both are dumb piss takes of the franchise but 3 attempts a serious atmosphere a few times, I don't remember 2 ever being anything less than a constant string of jokes and references.
The Zeta aliens don't talk about penises or make you flirt with your own brain. It's the same example as 3 and 2 where Zeta and OWB are both very dumb but OWB is more aggressive about it.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
The Zeta aliens don't talk about penises or make you flirt with your own brain.
The Zeta DLC begins with the player getting sodomized by a probe.
If your position is gonna be "I'm a huge sperg about anodyne and lame sex jokes" then at least be consistent.

KVVRR

Learned
It doesn't take it seriously but it does take it more seriously than 2. Both are dumb piss takes of the franchise but 3 attempts a serious atmosphere a few times, I don't remember 2 ever being anything less than a constant string of jokes and references.
The Zeta aliens don't talk about penises or make you flirt with your own brain. It's the same example as 3 and 2 where Zeta and OWB are both very dumb but OWB is more aggressive about it.
OWB is better simply because you can chalk it up to a couple of prewar idiots playing god on a crater, as opposed to the implication that it was actually aliens who caused the world to go boomboom

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Fallout Tactics also features yet another prestigious Chris Avellone appearance in a computer game:

"Thank God you're here! Look, this has got to stop. Those bastards aren't really raiders, you know. They're a right-wing hate group. Now if we let them kill all the ghouls, who will they go after next? Besides, the ghouls do tasks and jobs that humans can never do. I mean no human can work in the waste cesspools long without getting sick. The ghouls don't mind at all. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart. I hope you stick around for my big speech, it's really what this whole thing is about. Follow me."

"People of Springfield. You've all known me as Mayor Avellone for two years now and as Chris Avellone for many years before that. I've always been proud serving this town and all its people - and that's a fact. But I won't stand for this worthless hate violence, not as a mayor, and certainly, not as a man. We shouldn't hate the ghouls for being what they are. They can't help it if they were mutated into hideous looking monsters. Remember, that inside that monster, under the rotting flesh, the flaking skin, and the misshapen features is a second-class citizen. These good people delouse our cesspools, clean our grease pits and work the slaughterhouse. That's honest, hard work! So don't hate them for being insidiously ugly. Instead of attacking them, be kind! Instead of calling a ghoul ugly, tell it how fine it looks! I know you may not want to pat a ghoul on the back and that's OK; just don't burn it's house down. And now here a new bill I would like to present to you: it's called the Bill of Monster Rights. Under this bill, there will be no violence against a ghoul, unless the ghoul started it! And from now on, a ghoul is entitled to payment equal to or greater than half that of a pure-bred human! And lastly, no more will "taking a dump" be referred to as "pinching the ghoul," or "making ghoul babies," or "dropping off the ghoul at the pool." I know we can live together in harmony, I just know it. Thank you!"

9ted6

Educated
The Zeta aliens don't talk about penises or make you flirt with your own brain.
The Zeta DLC begins with the player getting sodomized by a probe.
If your position is gonna be "I'm a huge sperg about anodyne and lame sex jokes" then at least be consistent.
It's not that they're lame sex jokes that's the problem but that that's the only joke. It's a comedy DLC that isn't funny and wears out its only joke in the first ten minutes of playing.

The scientific geniuses are really crass and juvenile and keep saying random things in between pop culture references is the only brand of humor OWB offers. It's literally Rick and Morty.
OWB is better simply because you can chalk it up to a couple of prewar idiots playing god on a crater, as opposed to the implication that it was actually aliens who caused the world to go boomboom
Playing god in a crater of magic super technology that's sat in an army base in the middle of the desert that isn't even hard to find and somehow hasn't been claimed or investigated by any scavengers or House or the Brotherhood or the Enclave. Zeta's more lore breaking overall because of all its implications but OWB isn't much less offensive in that regard.

I think it's 4 that says aliens started the war though because Bethesda is dumb. All of 3 and 4's alien cthulu content is dumb and I'm not excusing it but OWB is hardly better.

9ted6

Educated
I wonder if Avellone's the one who wrote OWB's book chute. It seems more like a Sawyer thing but after reading this I'm not so sure.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I wonder if Avellone's the one who wrote OWB's book chute. It seems more like a Sawyer thing but after reading this I'm not so sure.
In Old World Blues, Travis Stout wrote all the appliances and player brain, Rob Lee wrote the X-13 emails and Avellone wrote everything else.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Great, as if the Codex wasn't shit enough, now the contrarian troglodytes from /v/ that try to convince everyone that 3 is a serious attempt at Fallout and more faithful than 2 are here. "Muh dark moody atmosphe- OH MY SCIENCE IS THAT TWO COSTUMED SUPERHEROES PLAYING MAKE-BELIEVE?? EPIC AND DARK AND GRITTY"

9ted6

Educated
Great, as if the Codex wasn't shit enough, now the contrarian troglodytes from /v/ that try to convince everyone that 3 is a serious attempt at Fallout and more faithful than 2 are here. "Muh dark moody atmosphe- OH MY SCIENCE IS THAT TWO COSTUMED SUPERHEROES PLAYING MAKE-BELIEVE?? EPIC AND DARK AND GRITTY"
Now go play chess with a radscorpion alongside your talking deathclaw pals while on a vision quest from a magic radiation witch to combat 1990s republicans.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
troglodytes from /v/ that try to convince everyone that 3 is a serious attempt at Fallout and more faithful than 2 are here

This gay revisionism is coming from low-standard hipsters such as Roguey and Lord_Noob, just to name a few
What on Earth are you talking about, I dislike the idea of Fallout 3 so much I've never played it, nor will I.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom