Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Josh Sawyer's long-awaited historical RPG is called Pentiment, coming next year

Unwanted

†††

Patron
I can't wait for all the journo articles claiming that combat in RPG games is an outdated concept that needs to be phased out.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I can't wait for all the journo articles claiming that combat in RPG games is an outdated concept that needs to be phased out.

It boggles the mind that anybody actually still reads those rags.

m_s0

Arcane
There's not even a single game that does Tolkien or a "tolkien-esque" setting well. Generally it's all just an excuse to portray le epic violence between classic fantasy races, 0 fucks are put into the world.
Exactly this. I think the closest video games ever got is... Mourns-for-Trees in PST? The spirit of that small quest strikes me as very Tolkien-esque.

I have no idea what an entire Tolkien-esque game would look like, but it'd probably be closer to Disco Elysium in its abstractions. It can't be boiled down to assigning stats to the Valar and scripting a "get Morgoth out of jail" quest - that's just removing Tolkien from Tolkien. LotRO is like that - it doesn't matter how much care you put into the lore, the game doesn't even begin to try to be anything else than an ordinary MMO (which makes sense considering the business model - it's not an art project, can't get too risky with it).

m_s0

Arcane
Come to think of it, Ultima IV kind of has a Tolkien-esque spark to its concept.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oh boy, have I a bad feeling.

Can't wait to play a 'historical' middle ages rpg made by sjws.

I wouldn't be surprised if there will be some female/trans knights, evil templars/crusaders, noble Muslims and a good amount of homosexuality.

To top it of it will be filled to the brim with todays sjw moral 'values' which will be shoved down your throat while playing the game.

I'm willing to bet you that this game will not have women, non-Europeans or uncloseted LGBTQs in anachronistic roles. Sawyer is serious about his history and it overrides his politics.

I'd take you on that bet. 10 bucks (or euros if you prefer)

Jrpgfan

Erudite

I wouldn't be surprised if there will be some female/trans knights, evil templars/crusaders, noble Muslims and a good amount of homosexuality.

To top it of it will be filled to the brim with todays sjw moral 'values' which will be shoved down your throat while playing the game.

I don't think Sawyer would do or allow that tbh. Even if he is/was a SJW or sympathetic to their cause, the man is too passionate about history to taint it like that.

Something the codex will never accept because they love lolsoquirky non-standard settings:
Dumpsterfire failed because of the setting.

If it was standard fantasy it would have done well, just like outerworlds did well by aping generic sci-fi/beth fallout/mass effect. And outerworlds is easily a far worse game than dumpsterfire.

I have to admit I'm less interested in playing "exotic" pseudo-polynesian pirate-themed RPGs than regular European/North American forest themed RPGs.

And this is why we can't have anything good. How much of the same Tolkienesque shit you have to consume to have enough of it? Jesus Christ.
There's not even a single game that does Tolkien or a "tolkien-esque" setting well. Generally it's all just an excuse to portray le epic violence between classic fantasy races, 0 fucks are put into the world.

I enjoyed both Battle for Middle Earth games, personally.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Some of you sound really weak whining about SJW's somehow infesting your mind or some shit. If you are that weak you are probably thinking about getting fucked in the ass right now and feeling guilty about it. See I told you? Weak. Now rate cuck to show how weak your egos are.

HeroMarine

Irenaeus
Vatnik
Some of you sound really weak whining about SJW's somehow infesting your mind or some shit. If you are that weak you are probably thinking about getting fucked in the ass right now and feeling guilty about it. See I told you? Weak. Now rate cuck to show how weak your egos are.

You sound upset.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

I don't think Sawyer would do or allow that tbh. Even if he is/was a SJW or sympathetic to their cause, the man is too passionate about history to taint it like that.

Don't forget that he's still working at Obsidian (which now belong to Micro$oft). Sure, I hope it won't be tainted by the current retardation, but it's not a foregone conclusion

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom