Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Jupiter Hell - DoomRL successor

buffalo bill

Arcane
looks like i can complete game on hard but UV wrecks me.
However running few runs on hard showed whats my weak point - those sentinel robots, like turret on 4 legs. They sport amazing accuracy while having enough health to survive 2 shotgun shots. Can attack me fine even when im behind the cover. How do you deal with them? Or just avoid?
They drain my health packs which makes it hard further ahead
shotguns are bad against bots because shotguns usually do only slash damage, and slash damage is bad against armor. bots are basically just armor. switch to a different damage type and they aren't hard

Serus

Arcane
Patron
However running few runs on hard showed whats my weak point - those sentinel robots, like turret on 4 legs. They sport amazing accuracy while having enough health to survive 2 shotgun shots. Can attack me fine even when im behind the cover. How do you deal with them? Or just avoid?
shotguns are bad against bots because shotguns usually do only slash damage, and slash damage is bad against armor. bots are basically just armor. switch to a different damage type and they aren't hard
Or take Army of Darkness, it changes all slash damage from shotguns to pierce IIRC. The shotguns that use other types of damage like plasma keep their damage type.
Also it is probably the most climatic trait in the game. :obviously:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Or take Army of Darkness, it changes all slash damage from shotguns to pierce IIRC. The shotguns that use other types of damage like plasma keep their damage type.
Also it is probably the most climatic trait in the game. :obviously:
problem in here is that im a scout and im talking about early game when im equipped with 9mm or shotgun. Later is somewhat manageable when Im forcing encounters at max range with sniper rifle

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Hunter rifle or revolver as a second gun to deal with bots.

With sentries, first come into their view to make them start shooping while you dive away from view. Once they have to reload, you get back in an shoop them.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron

With sentries, first come into their view to make them start shooping while you dive away from view. Once they have to reload, you get back in an shoop them.
well thats embarasing, i didnt realize that they are reloading, just thought that they are done spraying after 3 rounds

Serus

Arcane
Patron

well thats embarasing, i didnt realize that they are reloading, just thought that they are done spraying after 3 rounds
Don't worry, It took me some time to realize that as well.

I have a question myself to the local experts. What strategies do you use when choosing what level to go to? Do you have a preferred special level for every build?
I sometimes go where are email points out to something good but i'm pretty sure it isn't the optimal way to do it. I like to have 2 more inventory slots so I also usually go to special with the upgrade. Lately I started to take into account brands of weapons and armor. + to speed or to critical chance, etc... can be good. Still, I think I'm missing some parts of "strategy" of beating this game. Compared, learning how to fight and explore levels is simple = at least i know that suck. Could anyone share some tips?

Shaki

Arbiter
I didn't play it a lot, just like ~50 hours, but I felt like it's 90% RNG based and "skill" doesn't make much difference here. I started playing on hard difficulty from the beginning, I finished the game on like 4th try because I got a broken OP weapon and gear, then I didn't even get close to winning for like my next 20 runs. Can people actually consistently win the game on hard or higher, even with crappy RNG?

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Serus not an expert, always trying to go for cold and poison immunity even though they are useless after final floor of respective moon. Im just a sucker for immunities

edit; did anyone figure out how to add doom eternal sounds for more doom feel?

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Serus not an expert, always trying to go for cold and poison immunity even though they are useless after final floor of respective moon. Im just a sucker for immunities

edit; did anyone figure out how to add doom eternal sounds for more doom feel?
You REALLY don't need cold immunity against the relevant boss. All you need are 2 napalm grenades. At least on hard it is enough.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I didn't play it a lot, just like ~50 hours, but I felt like it's 90% RNG based and "skill" doesn't make much difference here. I started playing on hard difficulty from the beginning, I finished the game on like 4th try because I got a broken OP weapon and gear, then I didn't even get close to winning for like my next 20 runs. Can people actually consistently win the game on hard or higher, even with crappy RNG?
An OP weapon drop can allow you to finish a run on difficulty above you skill level. It's quite normal in many games. The trick is to learn how to win consistently without very lucky drops. The answer to your question is "yes" although myself i'm still struggling with hard difficulty but I was able to finish it without super lucky drops. I do tons of errors, I play too fast, I don't stop to rethink dodgy situations, my knowledge of game is still limited, etc... If i did all that i could easily finish hard almost every time. For a good, attentive player regular hard is not even really hard afaik.

Last thing. This is a roguelike even if a graphical one. You don't have to start RLs on hard, at least usually. It's not like in mainstream games where "normal" means "very easy" and "easy" means "meant for mentally challenged". Usually, again.

buffalo bill

Arcane
yeah

tbh the game is pretty easy even if you don't find OP gear

Serus

Arcane
Patron
yeah

tbh the game is pretty easy even if you don't find OP gear
Difficulty is in the eye of the beholder. It is "pretty easy", yes - compared to some other RLs it is. Or to people who were raised on DoomRL. Or on hard. However the fact that YOU might be able to beat it whenever you fancy on UV or N! using only your ass as weapon doesn't mean it is easy in general. It only means that YOU are very good at it (and possibly at RLs in general).

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
did more testing and yeah... dual pistols on scout sucks. I did however finish a pistol challenge with them.
Problem is that even with dual deagle your dmg output is lacking, especially in dante and late io. Also had to grab 2nd lvl of scavenger.
gunkata can be quite fun though after grabbing eagle eye on top(to increase its range). It did result in super easy last 2 bosses battles where I was just dancing around the pillars.

I am wondering if it can be salvaged with dualing smgs instead... and if scavenger3 can keep up with ammo requirements

PsihoKekec

Novice
Have you tried gunnrunner for dual pistol scout? Bigger damage output per shot, but not as fun to play, though it works with pretty much every weapon type.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Have you tried gunnrunner for dual pistol scout? Bigger damage output per shot, but not as fun to play, though it works with pretty much every weapon type.
no but it sounds just straight worse? With kata you shoot while moving and get extra dodge on top. Hellrunner+dash make it insane. Although it requires so many feats to work that it clicks only in dante

buffalo bill

Arcane
gunrunner is one of the best master traits in the game imo, gun kata is kinda whatever

btw gunrunner iirc doesn't really work with dual pistols well, since only one of them is automatically reloaded (though maybe this can be dealt with by switching back and forth? I can't remember if dualgunner gives a speed bonus for swapping between pistols, and I almost never play dual pistol builds cuz they kinda suck imo, and tbh I haven't played this game at all in about three or four months). gunrunner is better with non-pistol ranged weapons (or a single pistol, I guess)

buffalo bill

Arcane
single pistol technician sharpshoot is a very powerful build though (kills reset cooldowns! is amazing with headshot), even with an early-level .44 (if it's modded right) all the way to the end game

Serus

Arcane
Patron
gunrunner is one of the best master traits in the game imo, gun kata is kinda whatever

btw gunrunner iirc doesn't really work with dual pistols well, since only one of them is automatically reloaded (though maybe this can be dealt with by switching back and forth? I can't remember if dualgunner gives a speed bonus for swapping between pistols, and I almost never play dual pistol builds cuz they kinda suck imo, and tbh I haven't played this game at all in about three or four months). gunrunner is better with non-pistol ranged weapons (or a single pistol, I guess)
Seriously, only one is reloaded? I vaguely remember that both reloaded and the description says "guns" or "weapons" - plural. But you might be right.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
single pistol technician
thou shalt have no other classes before scout
You shall have only technician as your class (or marine if you really want).

Seriously, i don't like scout very much. His invisibility stuff is very powerful and overall might be the best class but i hate that he has only 2 weapon slots and that i have to waste a pick or live with it. Both options annoy me a lot for some reason even if in practice it's not such a great deal.

PsihoKekec

Novice
While tech with hoarder can have four weapon slots, real life saver for the Angel of New York Reload.

Lately I mostly take Fated and thus play with random class unless playing a challenge.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
tried really hard to do kata in UV. Only single point in dual pistolero, attack mainly through kata. Hellrunner, dash, everything dies super quickly.
Feats are super tight though, managed to complete europa using dual mm9 pistols without scavenger.
Then comes io where im out of ammo and I go plasma smg+pistol. Problem is that those have bad optimal range and I eventually died before boss as I could no longer kill stuff at distance. Also I need to reload every 3 steps which is not acceptable

Man I hate it.
I will make it work one day, without plasma weapons at all, so I got to hit scavenger 2 before io :negative:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
I did it! Can finally uninstall
embed

embed

UV pistolero with kata, 100% kills, no running away.

Quite hard to get it going. MDF is a must as it gives you high chance of crafting 2x good pistol. In this one Ive gotten dual deagle. Although I didnt start shooting both of them until lvl9, which is when I finally took kata.

Yes, you start dualing those deagles and then you pick up plasma pistol soon. Ive upgraded mine with extra optimal range and quick reload.
Vampirism on deagle was a mistake since I could no longer calibrate it to gain extra optimal range.

Once it gets online you play on auto mode, dashing towards the enemies for quick pew pew.

SMGs suck as they got terrible optimal range and require scavenger3. I never found my dmg output to be lacking anyway. In fact ive obtained viper unique in temple but it was way too late to even consider it. Dual viper could be fun though

towards the end ive stopped paying attention to feats, higher lvl of gunslinger would be good as it speeds up reloading

Serus

Arcane
Patron
No you can't uninstall. Jupiter Hell/DoomRL is for life. Once you played it there is no turning back unless you finish all challenges, all trial, gain every badge and medal, all on N!
:smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom