Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Jupiter Hell - DoomRL successor

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Finding a legendary that, however roughly, fits your playstyle seems to all but guarantee a win. I'm... not that great at the game - each time I managed to score a win, was thanks to finding a green gun.
Not all are so good though. And if i had found it when playing non-auto/rotary build it might have proven useless. Although it is OP so who knows.
I think there are weights attached to the chances of finding the weapon of the type you are using the most - but it's only in some places and not a guarantee*.

*To all potential noobs worse than me (if there are any): don't use pistol for first 1/3 of the game if you plan to go, say, shotgun for the rest. You'll end finding pistol AMPs and have lesser chance for a unique of the type you want. Same with all types.

I'm doing a Tech run on hard. So far all goes well but is it me or Grenadier sucks? Even with Grenadier 2 you don't find that many grenades - especially that for some reason half of them are smoke grenades for me - not the most useful for tech for obvious reasons. It's just a few more grenades with 50% more damage. And splash resistance. All nice but hardly worth the points. I guess at level 3 tossing a plasma grenade at +1 blast radius and maybe even have one in reserve is nice. But 3 points? + Hoarder which is also nice but hardly crucial.

Fireangel otoh is... ok. Certainly fun to put everything you shot at on fire even if DPS is not so great. Probably should have looked harder for some burning effect to make better use of it. Any idea what items to use?

PsihoKekec

Novice
I guess all Tech benefit from Toxicologist, so combination of Grenadier with Toxicologist lvl.2 could work, as it turns smoke grenades into gas grenades, but I really don't bother with Grenadier on Tech runs.

Fire is great against Cryomancer, but medusas are not affected, so it suffers later on. If setting the world on fire (it looks so pretty) is not your thing, burst weapons inflicting sick burns on single target is also effective.

buffalo bill

Arcane
I guess all Tech benefit from Toxicologist, so combination of Grenadier with Toxicologist lvl.2 could work, as it turns smoke grenades into gas grenades, but I really don't bother with Grenadier on Tech runs.

Fire is great against Cryomancer, but medusas are not affected, so it suffers later on. If setting the world on fire (it looks so pretty) is not your thing, burst weapons inflicting sick burns on single target is also effective.
easier to just toss a napalm grenade or two at the cryomancer instead of investing in a skill line that is pretty useless in the late game on harder modes

agree that grenadier is borderline-useless

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

Fireangel works pretty great with stuff that applies other DOTs like poison and bleed. One cheesy build I had some fun with was to take fireangel and use a shotgun with barbed + boosted maximum range. The idea is you shoot stuff from offscreen to apply the DOTs, then run away while they bleed to death. Unfortunately it falls flat on its face the moment you meet CRI bots.

buffalo bill

Arcane
I found that too many late-game enemies shrug off fire for it to be very useful (again, especially on harder difficulties/challenges), and fire resistance can be obtained by other means that don't lock you out of more viable builds

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
fire resistance can be obtained by other means

best one surely being fire fiend's claw

i keep forgetting it makes barrels around you explode which once made me explode myself to death on dante during what seemed like a super successful run bound for glorious and easy victory
RetardedDancingDonut.gif

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Finished normal with a supershotgun marine, it felt kinda easy but it also felt GOOD :-D. Does Hard fuck with stats or just more enemies, wiki is inconclusive :negative:

PsihoKekec

Novice
With increase of difficulty enemies get more HP and are more accurate. Also more higher tier enemies.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
how do i git gud? Acquired the game, after some testing scout seem to my liking. Im hitting a wall around europa where I run out of ammo.
Trying to do dual pistolero, now I know that as soon as I arive in europa I need to drop mm9 ones. Never had much luck with .44 as I was always running out of ammo.
Just had another run where i ran out of ammo with .762(dual). I guess its on me since its 4 bullets per action.
Is only valid strategy .762 + .44(making reloading a pain).

Tried to make it spicy with 3rd slot and shanking with dagger when im being overrun but scout seem to be too squishy for that.

Or is dualing pistolero early game trap choice?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Dual pistolero is not a trap build but it's a difficult one to get right. You should try a shotty scout maybe and see if it works better for you. I usually make-do with shotgun + hunter rifle on Calisto.

Also, as I keep mentioning it all the time, you should not even consider 9mm weapons as a viable choice past 'I need a second gun in case of whatever', and they should be replaced immediately with whatever that looks any good that you find, and at worst swapped for the first 7.62 gun you find. 9mm guns are worthless except for the uniques, and those fall off drastically too once the ammo stops being dropped.

PsihoKekec

Novice
For a beginner a rifle and shotgun combo is the best option to learn game mechanics.

For dual pistols it's best to either go Marine with Bulletstorm or Scout with Gun Kata, but it's best to do it when you have some experience with the game as dual gun build usually take some time to really get started.

Bulletstorm is extra ammo intensive early on, but Army Surplus is part of the build, I would advise to get Lvl. 2 if you intend to us .44 guns which is scarce throughout the game on most playthroughs, mind you the extra ammo you get is for the first gun you currently wield, so if you are holding 9 mm and .44, it's more 9 mm for you.
I tend to have luck with .44 drops when I take Valhalla Terminal route, allowing me to build some stock.

Gun Kata is also great for challenges like Angel of Doom and is in general really fun to play, for scout you can get Scavenger trait to alleviate specific ammo type shortage.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
cleared europa, had to sneak past boss in there as... im just not able to deal with that freezer well.

anyway ran into isssue in io:
embed

wearing helmet that auto disables robots. It was quite a pain as it blocked a lot of paths in that area. Then I realized that one bot was inside elevator - my only exit.
Is there a way to clear that scrap metal?

get Scavenger trait to alleviate specific ammo type shortage.
had luck with running 2 pistols of different ammo, indeed my hunch was correct. In above picture you can see that i was not able to find 2nd energy pistol and its slowly getting tight

after testing a bit im not a big fan. Ghost on other hand is superb. Perhaps will do swasbuckler+assassin once

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
got swashbuckler, how do I melee diagonally with gun in hand?

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
finished the game as assassinating swashbuckler. Was extremely lucky to get unique armor giving me invis. 100% kills, only melee and blink killing ever since I acquired katana.
Cant say that it was satisfying as it was almost auto playing, sometimes Id make decision between targeting specific enemy to blink and be less exposed. Europa was ok when I was running with sniper and machete, as was utilizing both equally.
Was really good against all bosses as you can blink to get out of mortar zone without stopping attacking.
Almost died due to fire claw destroying barrels. Kept forgetting about it, but then sneaking around and getting enemies on fire is satisfying.

Extremely pissed at state of pistols -> after few runs now im certain that you get only single plasma one at the beginning, few more might appear in last map before boss.

Gregz

Arcane
finished the game as assassinating swashbuckler. Was extremely lucky to get unique armor giving me invis. 100% kills, only melee and blink killing ever since I acquired katana.
Cant say that it was satisfying as it was almost auto playing, sometimes Id make decision between targeting specific enemy to blink and be less exposed. Europa was ok when I was running with sniper and machete, as was utilizing both equally.
Was really good against all bosses as you can blink to get out of mortar zone without stopping attacking.
Almost died due to fire claw destroying barrels. Kept forgetting about it, but then sneaking around and getting enemies on fire is satisfying.

Extremely pissed at state of pistols -> after few runs now im certain that you get only single plasma one at the beginning, few more might appear in last map before boss.

Drops are RNG. If I see any 2 of the Love, Death, or Hate pistols drop then I might modify out of a melee or rifle build (assuming that I find them early enough). You can stumble upon some extremely broken builds, but it's all luck because it depends on adapting to what you find. Crafting softens that requirement for some builds. Best way to git gud is to keep playing.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
If I see any 2 of the Love, Death, or Hate pistols drop then I might modify out of a melee or rifle build (assuming that I find them early enough)
not talking about uniques. Also dual pistols requires 5 feats which isnt easy to just get into in late game

Drops are RNG.
there are a bunch of guaranteed drops on each level actually.
Sadly, human enemies in io do not use pistols which is what makes acquiring 2 hard. Perhaps one can hope for manufacturing station but I cant say that I had luck with it

buffalo bill

Arcane
a single pistol technician high-crit build using a .44 gets online way easier than any dual pistol build

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Also, as I keep mentioning it all the time, you should not even consider 9mm weapons as a viable choice past 'I need a second gun in case of whatever'
after getting better at shotgun usage i must agree with this statement

PsihoKekec

Novice
Sadly, human enemies in io do not use pistols which is what makes acquiring 2 hard.

There is a good chance at least some of the guards in CRI Labs will carry it, but it's a difficult route and I tend to avoid it.

a single pistol technician high-crit build using a .44

I think I got explodey revolver in half of my Sharpshooter playthroughs, fun weapon to play with, especially once you modify it to hold seven rounds, except when fiends surprise you and get close.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
There is a good chance at least some of the guards in CRI Labs will carry it, but it's a difficult route and I tend to avoid it.
interesting... not that versed with io, so far i was mainly at black site... I shall give it a try!
Except im on nightmare now so it might take me a while

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
looks like i can complete game on hard but UV wrecks me.
However running few runs on hard showed whats my weak point - those sentinel robots, like turret on 4 legs. They sport amazing accuracy while having enough health to survive 2 shotgun shots. Can attack me fine even when im behind the cover. How do you deal with them? Or just avoid?
They drain my health packs which makes it hard further ahead

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom