Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Jupiter Hell - DoomRL successor

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Once you played it there is no turning back unless you finish all challenges, all trial, gain every badge and medal, all on N!
im happy to report that technomancer cured my completionist urges, now I only focus on what I consider fun

sser

Arcane
Developer
I didn't play it a lot, just like ~50 hours, but I felt like it's 90% RNG based and "skill" doesn't make much difference here. I started playing on hard difficulty from the beginning, I finished the game on like 4th try because I got a broken OP weapon and gear, then I didn't even get close to winning for like my next 20 runs. Can people actually consistently win the game on hard or higher, even with crappy RNG?
yeah

tbh the game is pretty easy even if you don't find OP gear
Difficulty is in the eye of the beholder. It is "pretty easy", yes - compared to some other RLs it is. Or to people who were raised on DoomRL. Or on hard. However the fact that YOU might be able to beat it whenever you fancy on UV or N! using only your ass as weapon doesn't mean it is easy in general. It only means that YOU are very good at it (and possibly at RLs in general).

I'd say it's pretty hard, but only occasionally unfair. Finding OP stuff is pretty standard for most roguelikes, so yeah if you find good things your run will go better. I think once you get the gameflow the biggest danger is actually around the mid-point. That's usually when I have good gear, but an incomplete build. I'll start being a little too aggressive or cavalier with approaching rooms, especially not long after entering a floor, and then I'll inevitably open a door into some extremely dangerous grouping, and then the sound of combat will drag in more from off-screen and my good run goes up in flames. Typically, if you can get to the 'hell' levels you'll be set and can have some fun.

Still hoping this guy is developing an AlienRL remake. That game with this engine would be so good.

PsihoKekec

Novice
Once you played it there is no turning back unless you finish all challenges, all trial, gain every badge and medal, all on N!
im happy to report that technomancer cured my completionist urges, now I only focus on what I consider fun

Ever tried a blademaster run? Not the most effective melee build but it's really fun just running around and automatically slicing up the enemies

PsihoKekec

Novice
[Cockblocker mode activated] Never gonna happen, the main reason why JH is a spiritual successor rather than DRL 2, is that IP owners take a dim view on people trying to monetize their IPs and I seriously doubt he has money to afford license. The best we could hope for is an update for the AlienRL after he is done with DRL 0.9.9.8

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Still hoping this guy is developing an AlienRL remake. That game with this engine would be so good.
Indeed!
hell yeah
His AlienRL was unfinished but what was there had potential. However you'd rally need to some more variety of enemies - that make sense in the context. Say, you are the last from a government group of soldiers saving some colonists but now you are target of some evil-corporation(tm) squad. All happening in some structure on other planet infested by aliens. So other corporate marines would be a legit enemy but aliens would be the main threat just as in the original.
So, yeah, i want it too.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
[Cockblocker mode activated] Never gonna happen, the main reason why JH is a spiritual successor rather than DRL 2, is that IP owners take a dim view on people trying to monetize their IPs and I seriously doubt he has money to afford license. The best we could hope for is an update for the AlienRL after he is done with DRL 0.9.9.8
He can do the same thing with Aliens as he did with Doom. Call it "Non-Aliens Heaven". Unless Alien franchise owner are much more defensive about it than Doom's ones, it should work. Legally you are good to make a game about aliens (but not those particular "Aliens"). Same about a game about a lone marine in space.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Yeah, AlienRL in spirit -- which is basically a horror-adjacent, vertical/exploration type setting w/ roguelike trappings. Getting away from the 'ip' itself would be a good thing as aliens isn't very diverse in its "enemy portfolio."

buffalo bill

Arcane
Does "efficient" work with revolvers or any other weapons reloaded 1 bullet at a time? My guess is no but i'd like to be sure.
yes, iirc it gives two bullets for every reload (so it's better to do a full reload from even numbers, or leave the gun with one bullet unloaded if reloading from odd numbers)

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
Is the shader supposed to cause blue rectangles to flicker on the screen?

PsihoKekec

Novice
New updated added a branch for Dante - Ossuary. Bring piercing weapons for packs of Guardians and have weapons with different types of damage for exalted enemies with adaptive trait. Juggler trait comes handy.

AWP rifle got nerfed :rage:

buffalo bill

Arcane
New updated added a branch for Dante - Ossuary. Bring piercing weapons for packs of Guardians and have weapons with different types of damage for exalted enemies with adaptive trait. Juggler trait comes handy.

AWP rifle got nerfed :rage:
imo these are the important changes:

• CHANGE #1847 - visibility of Dante crates improved for less bumpin'

• CHANGE #1847 - Scouts now start with 3 weapon slots too
  • CHANGE #1831 - all shotguns apply Slowdown (-50% move speed) for 1.5s
  • CHANGE #1831 - most shotguns now have 0.75 swap time

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

Ok frankly speaking this is ridiculous :lol:

Did anyone actually find shotguns underpowered???

Gregz

Arcane

Thankfully software allows us to hone in on the version that we want to play, and to play that. Keep torrenting.

Reality

Learned
I think shotgun buff is targeting people who take shotgun into the reapers/arch reapers on Callisto mines

Totally unnecessary for Europa onward though once you have a mastery skill

buffalo bill

Arcane

Wait, it slows the enemy? lol :lol:
I assume it's an attempt at sort of replicating the knockback effect from Doomrl without adding a new mechanic

Epyon

ChaosForge
Developer

They weren't viable for high-level play (UV+), and were being outperformed by grenade launchers in any niche they should theoretically shine.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Imo Normal should be the golden standard for any game to be judged by; Shit doesn't pan out on other modes, easier or harder? balance that shit mode-side, not all-over-side. I know this is a retarded notion in "modern gaming" but oh well.

Epyon

ChaosForge
Developer
Imo Normal should be the golden standard for any game to be judged by; Shit doesn't pan out on other modes, easier or harder? balance that shit mode-side, not all-over-side. I know this is a retarded notion in "modern gaming" but oh well.
I get where you're coming from, but this doesn't work that way unfortunately. If you balance around normal, then once people get better at your game it will suck, or lose build variability in the long run.
If you balance around higher difficulties, it might feel that some elements are OP early on, but once you get better, you get a balanced game for significant replayability.
Players really don't care that much about balance untill they invest a lot of hours, then they start caring a lot.

Shotguns weren't OP either, it's just that in lower difficulties you can make tactical mistakes and get away with it, i.e. you could easier close the distance to enemies, making the damage feel much more significant.

Finally, UV is actually "Normal" in roguelike standards. The lower difficulties are to ease people in, and allow everyone to have some fun. But if we named UV Normal, then we'd have tons of complaints from people that the game is impossible ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom