Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kenshi - open-ended sandbox RPG set in a desert world

Beastro

Arcane
Sounds good. Will check it out more tomorrow. Seems like a unique and promising game.

Savour the early times trying to scrape around to survive. Once athletics is up mobs will only overtake a single or small group unless you're tabbed out as you go from A to B. If you get both it and stealth high then you're effective invisible and travel is trivialized outside of environmental hazards, like gas clouds.

Even without them, just pay attention and you'll be fine. I make thieving runs at towns to bring back to my base and walk back with 800 pounds on me unable to sneak and only get it when I'm tabbed out. Anyone they wanders into my reduced field of vision (for performance reasons) still gives me enough time to change direction and get out of their path if I'm paying attention.

Deleted Member 16721

So how do you make allies or enemies with factions, then? I was under the impression that there were warring factions in the game.

Beastro

Arcane
So how do you make allies or enemies with factions, then? I was under the impression that there were warring factions in the game.

I'm not sure outside of handing in some big wanted people (Like giving the Shek the leader of the Holy Nation). I stayed outside a Shek town to heal the guards to work up first aid and got mine up 6 points doing so (I think). You can buy alliances I've run into with the Traders, and you can join the Shinobi Thieves (which I find is game breaking once you get the 10k to do so).

Deleted Member 16721

I also murdered a slave and took his straw hat. He didn't even fight back. I saw him limping and thought he was an easy target. Are there any consequences for that since nobody saw me?

Beastro

Arcane
I also murdered a slave and took his straw hat. He didn't even fight back. I saw him limping and thought he was an easy target. Are there any consequences for that since nobody saw me?

I doubt it, even if it does somehow register. The game's pretty forgiving about faction hits I've seen. I mean I created a riot in a prison and earned a 23k bounty from it and it did nothing to my standing with the UC.

Beastro

Arcane
BTW for the important ones where are faction resetters that do it for large prices. Ones like ex-slaves don't have them I assume, but they're irrelevant by the time you get into wanting to fix faction.

Developer
For the second time I have played Kenshi, this week. I must admit - I had Kenshi all wrong in my head.
I first tried the demo in 2012 and it was a broken mess - I assumed it was made in Unity and was some Hipster SJW toilet early access scam, and I uninstalled it after no longer than 5 minutes.
You see, I had been burned quite a bit by Steam early access and had become pretty quick in my judgement - so thick and projectile was the torrent of early access dung at the time (what has changed really?).

Anyway now, playing it again in late 2018 I see that I was wrong in my first opinion. Its actually oldschool and beautiful, and brings honour to the ancestors.
It reminds me of M&B and AOD I guess,;apart from the crap combat (which is perhaps the only weak point, ok...and the crap performance).
So, I tip my hat and pay my respects, Kenshi is so ugly and beautiful. Its got contrast and longevity. Love it.
Thank you developers! I have something to play over the holidays and beyond.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
After having raided numerous ancient facilities and researched almost all technology, I decided to give base-building a try. I ran around the United Cities in the eastern desert to recruit random NPCs as labor and to purchase materials, circled back to pick up scientist Izumi in Stoat, and then set forth for Shem. There's a good location with numerous iron and copper deposits, plenty of stone and water, and nearly steady wind. The only drawbacks are its arid environment and lack of natural defenses. However, my 8-man squad is powerful enough to easily defeat the bandit gangs who show up (sometimes they fight each other first, before reaching my base), and hydroponics technology will mitigate the aridity. I brought enough materials with me to immediately build an advanced wind generator for power, an automated stone mining/processing facility for generating building materials, a less-advanced iron refinery for manufacturing iron plates (would have preferred a better one, but I couldn't carry enough iron plates with me to build it), and a well for drawing water. Before long, I was able to add a corpse furnace for disposing of the many bandits foolish enough to raid my settlement, a modest house with an electrical workbench for turning copper into electrical components, and a hydroponics tub for growing wheatstraw, in addition to various minor items. I've starting building a wall around the area and have enough iron plates and electrical components for a second wind generator, to provide the power for further facilities. Filling out this base should be an entertaining diversion before I return to exploration.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
After having raided numerous ancient facilities and researched almost all technology, I decided to give base-building a try. I ran around the United Cities in the eastern desert to recruit random NPCs as labor and to purchase materials, circled back to pick up scientist Izumi in Stoat, and then set forth for Shem. There's a good location with numerous iron and copper deposits, plenty of stone and water, and nearly steady wind. The only drawbacks are its arid environment and lack of natural defenses. However, my 8-man squad is powerful enough to easily defeat the bandit gangs who show up (sometimes they fight each other first, before reaching my base), and hydroponics technology will mitigate the aridity. I brought enough materials with me to immediately build an advanced wind generator for power, an automated stone mining/processing facility for generating building materials, a less-advanced iron refinery for manufacturing iron plates (would have preferred a better one, but I couldn't carry enough iron plates with me to build it), and a well for drawing water. Before long, I was able to add a corpse furnace for disposing of the many bandits foolish enough to raid my settlement, a modest house with an electrical workbench for turning copper into electrical components, and a hydroponics tub for growing wheatstraw, in addition to various minor items. I've starting building a wall around the area and have enough iron plates and electrical components for a second wind generator, to provide the power for further facilities. Filling out this base should be an entertaining diversion before I return to exploration.

:negative:

Don't bother with the base-build mechanics. They are fun but ultimately pointless.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Shortest run ever :)

I selected the Dodgy start which meant that my guys were parachuted in the middle of the cannibals where the only option is to RUN! :)
BE3DF3412ACCEEE7E1F16885DBC95AC83DBAE0B4

I got lucky and I've run straight in another tribe on cannibals :)
5DA5AD6765C317B6910B1C5862E57718571F97F4

While they were fighting Agusto picked Zan and run away.
49D0DAE7B856C24B3CCAF50E50923281C8A7A2B8

Anyway, I wanted to reach the coastline (maybe less cannibals !?).
246DA7B47C4370B6FCB6546226663C887297C579

Northern Coast reached.
4F61CF18D54C3C59C4F3C6E86E9A8D3A82D79097

Zan is not happy about it :)
DC87CF955BEECA3B12F9A7F509F126481436ABB0

F51E7378CE6A17B635D6A5971518E18F0C28CAEE

Found an abandoned farm. Got some rest.
E350EC5A2B2738F35E0154229B862DA119F3E58D

And then I had one brilliant idea. Let's attack a lonely bonedog. What could possibly go wrong.
F13E0A13B2A805F2A2C7796004F6B2791F52FF03

Got rekt :)
8B908B37152ADAF766326616918A83E48A47BAF4

Some cannibals arrived and took the bodies.
159E10FF14A08EF384FB507F041377F6E9941FD7

Rip Agusto and Zan. You lived for 20 minutes but I will always remember you. Idiots :)

Tovias

Learned
:negative:

Don't bother with the base-build mechanics. They are fun but ultimately pointless.
This is true in the sense that you can probably get everything you need from exploring, but I really enjoy having a place where to arrive after weeks of adventuring.
ZtHZHvu.png

Deleted Member 16721

This game is freaking cool man. I'm really surprised. I'm going to play this over ATOM RPG at the moment. It's very addictive. So far I started as a Wanderer, mined me some copper and just when I was hauling it back, wolves attacked this place called Stack (which is friendly, the one Holy Paladin gave me rations for free :) ). So I went around picking animal skins, teeth and meat off the dead wolves and made a haul, enough to hire Gecko, this cute, shaved head chick as my first squad member. Now we're mining more copper together and will probably build a little outpost near Stack when we can. So far had to run from Fogmen and a gorilla but my Scorchlander can really move. :) Awesome game, I'm pleasantly surprised and was not expecting something like this. Love how the average price and selling price is shown at stores. Very easy to get an idea of where to sell your stuff.

Deleted Member 16721

Question - I researched the ability that lets traders come to us. Will they just start coming randomly or do I need to do something special to get them to come to the outpost?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Question - I researched the ability that lets traders come to us. Will they just start coming randomly or do I need to do something special to get them to come to the outpost?
Not long after I created my base, I received messages about two caravans setting out for my location, and they did both eventually arrive and pass through, giving me the opportunity to purchase items. One of them had very little, but the other had enough hemp to start a hydroponics hemp station (I now have hydroponics wheat, hemp, riceweed, and greenfruit stations on the rooftops of my four stormhouses).

I know it's unnecessary to build a base, and I could simply have continued to explore the remaining zones until I had seen every biome, but I decided that I might as well investigate the base-building side of the game as a break from exploration, before I eventually tire of the game and decide to stop playing (since it lacks a conventional conclusion).

Deleted Member 16721

I guess I have to build the shop counter then, to attract traders, right? I researched the ability to have traders come to my Outpost, just wasn't sure what else I had to do to get them to come.

This game rocks. The Hivers are a tough crew, taking down those giant brontosaurus looking things, while I opportunistically gather the skins and meat to sell to them. Made a killing there, almost up to 10k credits (or funds, whatever they're called). Pretty neat. I hired Griffin, who had a vision that I would come and help him gain salvation for the Holy Order or whatever. Seemed interesting and he is battle tested and tough, while Gecko and myself (Samonsar) are far from that. So at least I might have *some* protection out there now. Still haven't found an enemy I could properly kill yet, but that's okay. Game is awesome, brah.

Deleted Member 16721

I'm uploading a Kenshi first look video now. Probably also boring, but I have fun making them. Also made mistakes and what not, first time playing, but I did manage to mine some copper, get a companion and build a little Outpost in Okran's area.

Tovias

Learned
I guess I have to build the shop counter then, to attract traders, right? I researched the ability to have traders come to my Outpost, just wasn't sure what else I had to do to get them to come.
Making a store in the game is tricky because the AI is sketchy regarding shopping schedules, almost everyone is broke too and they don't buy stuff like weapons or armors. Normally only buy trade goods like medicine and food.

Deleted Member 16721

Well I hope that's not the case. I opened a shop counter and have a new companion (Heft) chick mining copper permanently and dumping it in the storage chest near the shop counter. So copper ore for sale all year long! You get good deals! Best copper ore in town! :)

Ironmonk

Augur
just sell the copper directly to the npcs, I used this (3 miners outside of Stack with almost no attack from animals/enemies) in order to raise funds and buy food for my team.

Deleted Member 16721

just sell the copper directly to the npcs, I used this (3 miners outside of Stack with almost no attack from animals/enemies) in order to raise funds and buy food for my team.

Well I was doing that, but my hope was that a wealthy trader came by and I could sell a storage chest full of copper to him/her. That would save me the trips to Stack and back.

Lyre Mors

Arcane
So I've spent the majority of time in this game exploring, mining to save up for a house in Squin/feed myself, and training on dummies in the police station. Would everyone agree researching tech is worth it? I know that training dummies/lockpick training, etc., only gets you to a certain level at those skills before they stop working efficiently, but they seem worth it to get you at a baseline skill level anyway. That's the kind of stuff I'll end up researching more than building supplies and the like, because I probably won't build a proper fort until quite awhile later in the game after I've done a lot of exploring. I'll just keep a house or two in towns along the way until I find my place. But besides that there is some worthwhile tech to research and build, right?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom