Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

Jrpgfan

Erudite
How do you make this game not run like shit? The slowdowns are honestly getting on my nerves, I can have 60FPS one moment, turn a corner, and it drops to 25.

Try lowering shadows, shader quality and lightining. Those are the most taxing settings.

I have to lower shadows and shader quality to medium and lightining to high on a RTX 2080 Super to get smooth framerates and it's still not 100% stable. It's a badly optimized game, unfortunately.

If your fps is varying widly you might wanna lock it on rivatuner to a lower value. What some people do to get the "console experience" is setting half refresh vsync on the gpu's panel and locking the fps to 30 on rtss(assuming you have a 60hz display, otherwise you should change your monitor refresh rate to 60 or whatever value you feel your game would be stable at half the number and set it accordingly on RTSS).

Last edited:

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Anyway I finally finished the game after 120 hours (played sporadically because work has been hell). Love it, and I stand by my initial thoughts that it's one of the best games to come out on PC in the last 5 years. Doesn't mean it's perfect: levelling becomes meaningless about halfway through the game, riposte is overpowered while combos are useless, crime system is hilariously jank, and dialogue can be inconsistent. Also, you'll hate the monastery segment if the save system bothers you.

But overall the game is wonderfully written and quests are varied enough. I think the length of the game is just right as there wasn't much of a carrot Ieft by the time I reached the last few segments. Great experience overall, and no regrets getting the DLCs too :greatjob:

Gerrard

Arcane
It's not low framerate that's the issue, it's inconsistent framerate. In towns even turning around causes the framerate to drop, it's like there's some issue with content streaming
You are on an HDD. Sorry, nothing can really improve things there.
Okay retard

A6p58cQ.jpg

How do you make this game not run like shit? The slowdowns are honestly getting on my nerves, I can have 60FPS one moment, turn a corner, and it drops to 25.

Try lowering shadows, shader quality and lightining. Those are the most taxing settings.

I have to lower shadows and shader quality to medium and lightining to high on a RTX 2080 Super to get smooth framerates and it's still not 100% stable. It's a badly optimized game, unfortunately.
Yeah I found some article where they listed which settings are the most taxing and lowered those first. I think it's the characters that cause the biggest impact, I wonder if it might be related to the game loading and unloading their clothes or something, Like when you change your equipment in inventory, there's a slight pause as the game fixes the look for all the layers.

Last edited:

Danikas

Arcane
It's not low framerate that's the issue, it's inconsistent framerate. In towns even turning around causes the framerate to drop, it's like there's some issue with content streaming
Okay retard

A6p58cQ.jpg
I have the same problem on ssd turning around in towns will dip the framerate hard for like half a second then it will go to normal.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Anyway I finally finished the game after 120 hours (played sporadically because work has been hell). Love it, and I stand by my initial thoughts that it's one of the best games to come out on PC in the last 5 years. Doesn't mean it's perfect: levelling becomes meaningless about halfway through the game, riposte is overpowered while combos are useless, crime system is hilariously jank, and dialogue can be inconsistent. Also, you'll hate the monastery segment if the save system bothers you.

But overall the game is wonderfully written and quests are varied enough. I think the length of the game is just right as there wasn't much of a carrot Ieft by the time I reached the last few segments. Great experience overall, and no regrets getting the DLCs too :greatjob:

The DLCs are the best content in the game IMO, so yea, they're definitely worth it. The two last quests in Capon's adventures were pure gold. I went all the way in on the revenant quest even though I had the money to buy the potion and I did not regret it. Probably the funniest quest in the game. The last one was hilarious too.

The whole Johanka questline was also very well done.

Last edited:

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Okay retard

A6p58cQ.jpg

Yeah I found some article where they listed which settings are the most taxing and lowered those first. I think it's the characters that cause the biggest impact, I wonder if it might be related to the game loading and unloading their clothes or something, Like when you change your equipment in inventory, there's a slight pause as the game fixes the look for all the layers.

From my testings I found out the shadows are what impact performance the most during the day, and it's more pronounced in Rattay, so it might be related to that.

At night torches close to shiny armors slaughter the performance for me. It becomes unplayable on ultra at 1440p.

Harthwain

Magister
This as i wrote previously is bad design since the game should instead rely on its rules for that difficulty and not be affected by simulation implementation details like the savesystem.
That's your opinion and I am not sharing it. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This as i wrote previously is bad design since the game should instead rely on its rules for that difficulty and not be affected by simulation implementation details like the savesystem.
That's your opinion and I am not sharing it. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Sure, though it isn't just some arbitrary opinion like preferring black shirts over blue shirts or whatever, i have explained why i wrote that and believe that i have a consistent reasoning (which is also why i am not just going to change my mind just because some people disagree with me without also going into details). Perhaps i'll write some detailed article on the topic at some point because my points are spread all over this post (and i think some other post) which unless you discussed them with me makes them hard to follow and i end up repeating the same stuff over and over. A nice detailed article that i can link to people would help (...and also help me since i'll need to organize that stuff properly).

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Okay retard
Well instead of having me guess, you could have listed your PC configuration and game settings, genius.

This is either slow storage, which can be ruled out - I have an EVO 860, slow RAM, which I doubt since my RAM is probably less and slower than yours, otherwise I don't know. Could it be the GPU?

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I think the length of the game is just right as there wasn't much of a carrot Ieft by the time I reached the last few segments
Funny because I remember them saying that KCD is about 1/3 of what they inended to have in their game.

Xeon

Augur
Since they planned for a much bigger game from the start, wonder if they are going to add import save for the sequel and maybe import decisions as well from the first game.

Harthwain

Magister
Sure, though it isn't just some arbitrary opinion like preferring black shirts over blue shirts or whatever, i have explained why i wrote that and believe that i have a consistent reasoning
I am not saying you have no reasoning. I am saying I do not share your opinion. To me save system can influence how you play the game in a positive way, so it's not a bad design as a result. But I would still be interested to read your detailed article on the matter.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Since they planned for a much bigger game from the start, wonder if they are going to add import save for the sequel and maybe import decisions as well from the first game.

As much as I love KCD, were there any particularly major decisions in the first game that would have an impact going forward?

At most you can spare a couple of minor characters who are unlikely to have much impact in the future plot.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Even little things could be worth it - ie in ME2 it was cool to see the colonists I saved from the psionic tree monster in the previous game. In KCD2 you could perhaps meet the German (or was he Austrian?) dude who came to investigate the counterfeit coins production and he could help you out with something since you let him live before.

I mean its not like the "major" decisions in games that let you carry over previous saves have huge impact anyway (if you let Sovereign destroy the flagship of Council fleet in ME1 it gets referenced just a few times later on, in Witcher 1 I romanced Shani and helped the knights against the filthy Elf terrorists, the first thing in Witcher 2 is waking up next to Triss and the knights are mentioned like twice, IIRC you can meet their leader in ruins of the Elf city at the very end).

AwesomeButton

Patron
If you are making a sequel to the story of the game, this means you are always postponing the important decisions, or "demoting" them from important to less important.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I am not saying you have no reasoning. I am saying I do not share your opinion. To me save system can influence how you play the game in a positive way, so it's not a bad design as a result. But I would still be interested to read your detailed article on the matter.

FWIW i do not claim that the save system doesn't influence how you play the game, though i do not agree it is done in a positive way. Even if we ignore how having a game's rules interact with the rules' implementation isn't good design, there is also a simpler and more straightforward example that i do not think it needs any detailed explanation (that i'll try to write at some point): not allowing arbitrary saves means that the game has you repeat sections you've already repeated (or find workarounds to save whenever you want like traveling to reach fixed "save stations" like beds, special rooms, computer terminals or whatever) and even if you do not find that stuff tedious, it does create an artificial lengthening of the game's duration due to all the repeating you have to do.

I do not think that anyone can genuinely claim that stretching an otherwise shorter game to longer hours because of a limited save system is good design.

For example i'm playing Terminator: Resistance now and while i find the game great and i'm having fun with it, it is perfectly clear to me that the reason you cannot save anywhere you want but instead have to find computer terminals is so that they can pad the game's length.

Harthwain

Magister
Even if we ignore how having a game's rules interact with the rules' implementation isn't good design, there is also a simpler and more straightforward example that i do not think it needs any detailed explanation (that i'll try to write at some point): not allowing arbitrary saves means that the game has you repeat sections you've already repeated (or find workarounds to save whenever you want like traveling to reach fixed "save stations" like beds, special rooms, computer terminals or whatever) and even if you do not find that stuff tedious, it does create an artificial lengthening of the game's duration due to all the repeating you have to do.

I do not think that anyone can genuinely claim that stretching an otherwise shorter game to longer hours because of a limited save system is good design.
In Dark Souls dying is part of the experience. But how often you die in Kingdom Come? Past the tutorial section I didn't end up in many situations where I couldn't either defeat enemies when following the narrative, even as an unexperienced mook, or just run away from them. Of course, I am not speaking about fighting three or fours Cumans all at once. Dying aside, do you really need to "repeat sections you've already repeated"? Not in my experience. But then again, I didn't really bother reloading.

Gerrard

Arcane
Holy fuck why would you not dye the hunting arrow feathers in some bright red color or some shit, they are impossible to find. Nice fucking realism.
:nocountryforshitposters:

Thanks for your great arguments, dumbfucks. You're literally dumber than people in the middle ages.

Last edited:

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
In Dark Souls dying is part of the experience. But how often you die in Kingdom Come? Past the tutorial section I didn't end up in many situations where I couldn't either defeat enemies when following the narrative, even as an unexperienced mook, or just run away from them. Of course, I am not speaking about fighting three or fours Cumans all at once. Dying aside, do you really need to "repeat sections you've already repeated"? Not in my experience. But then again, I didn't really bother reloading.

I haven't played Dark Souls for more than a couple of hours back when it was released on PC though from what i remember the game's own rules acknowledge your death so it isn't really the same. I might be remembering wrong though.

In KCD i was dying enough to be noticeable, but i wasn't following the narrative much - in games where i can i tend to only follow the narrative when i have exhausted all other available stuff so chances are i was coming up against more encounters than if i just followed the narrative. I mean, i was traveling between villages explicitly so i can come up against bandits to loot, so yeah, i'm certain i came up against more encounters than if i just followed the narrative :-P. And yeah since i was exploring areas, picking up stuff i could find, etc i was losing a lot of progress that someone who just follows the narrative wouldn't notice (i didn't reload either, in general unless i feel there was some misrepresented some choice i "roll with the punches" in games and do not reload and i do not remember something like that happening in KCD).

In any case, the part you quoted wasn't a complain about KCD specifically but about that approach in general - after all i did mention other games just next to it.

Tigranes

Arcane

This is the worst, time-wasting distraction for any game. It's dumb and it doesn't deliver. You can't properly import and show good C&C for major, truly consequential decisions, because then the already massive challenge with branching games you exploded tenfold. (A lot of the end-game decisions tend to be world-changing precisely because it's the end and we don't have to actually go create an entirely new country.) So what we end up with is a bunch of pointless hand-waving, and then a bunch of ultimately forgettable, gimmicky consequences for small imported decisions (Man Who Got Stomped by Gozilla is => Dead / Alive? => if Alive, extra dialogue line!!!)

Make the game good for what it is, and put in lots of C&C within the game. Nothing is gained by wasting tons more time trying to do way more difficult cross-game C&C with no extra payoff.

For KCD in particular, as Bad Sector says, there's not really any meaningful choices to make anyway. It's Vavra's World and we're just riding a heavily choreographed rollercoaster.

Harthwain

Magister
I haven't played Dark Souls for more than a couple of hours back when it was released on PC though from what i remember the game's own rules acknowledge your death so it isn't really the same. I might be remembering wrong though.
The game doesn't acknowledge your death as such. You may get a different dialogue line from an NPC when you meet him/her for the first time, depending on whether you're in your Hollow form or not, but that's it. And despite being heralded as hardcore, Dark Souls doesn't really have a "proper" failure state (unless you consider dropping the game a failure state) - you can retry as much as you want. That said, being able to regain and lose Humanity is part of the in-game universe and has some mechanics tied to it, so it fits well together as far as lore and gameplay is concerned.

In KCD i was dying enough to be noticeable, but i wasn't following the narrative much - in games where i can i tend to only follow the narrative when i have exhausted all other available stuff so chances are i was coming up against more encounters than if i just followed the narrative. I mean, i was traveling between villages explicitly so i can come up against bandits to loot, so yeah, i'm certain i came up against more encounters than if i just followed the narrative :-P. And yeah since i was exploring areas, picking up stuff i could find, etc i was losing a lot of progress that someone who just follows the narrative wouldn't notice (i didn't reload either, in general unless i feel there was some misrepresented some choice i "roll with the punches" in games and do not reload and i do not remember something like that happening in KCD).
I will clarify that I wasn't beelining for the story. I went where the story wanted me to go and, while there, I was exploring the surrounding area. I was able to beat bandits (and a few Cumans), despite not being too well-versed in the art of combat. I didn't go through the training with captain Bernard, because I didn't realize he was offering the advanced training. It was then when the extra techniques came to light. Otherwise I was sneaking around, hunting and doing some other side-quests. Also, I preferred to ride everywhere on my own, rather than use quick travel system. Especially after I got a horse.

In any case, the part you quoted wasn't a complain about KCD specifically but about that approach in general - after all i did mention other games just next to it.
I won't fight over Terminator: Resistance. In fact, I am willing to take your word that they're trying to pad the game's length this way. It sounds like the kind of game to do that. As for the approach in general - it all comes down to the execution (and personal preference). As someone who enjoys roguelikes (and roguelites), I think I am more likely to appreciate mechanics where saving isn't abundant, provided it serves the gameplay.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Goddamn this game gave Bad Sector some serious trauma. Hey Bad Sector, are you gonna be crying over the save system itt for much longer?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom