Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by conan_edw, Feb 13, 2018.

1. HoboForEternity sunset tequila Patron

HoboForEternity
    switch version:

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 8
    • incline incline x 4
    • nice nice x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Gerrard Arcane

Gerrard
    Do you often randomly skip an hour back when watching movies?
    Literally double digit IQ post.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Smejki Warhorse Studios Developer

Smejki
    Official statement

I can confirm I personally have not heard of any such plan. We, regular ass team members, might be kept in the dark tho as our owner is publicaly traded.
    In other words, there's no point in asking me questions like this.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • Whatever shit you posted didn't load Whatever shit you posted didn't load x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    Serpent in the Staglands Wasteland 2
    Warhorse have a dedicated ass team? Wow you guys really went above and beyond for me.

• Excited! Excited! x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • incline incline x 2
    • Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Yes and it paid off instantly.

[​IMG]

• nice x 2
    • feels good man x 2
    • Excited! x 2
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    • Slurp this person's delicious asshole x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    • That's an Elephant x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. sorinmask Just like Yves, I chase tales. Patron

sorinmask
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I like to think my character/the game is celebrating/welcoming me back to playing the game, since the Schnapps effect takes place after I load.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. AwesomeButton Personally falsified the US election results Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Another chapter in "Why this is a great RPG":

This screenshot is taken from the opened trunk in my Skalitz house.
    I stashed in there everything I had robbed form the Talmberg armory, just before I dug the grave for Henry's parents. I know it was foolish from a metagaming standpoint to leave it there in the first place.

Understandably after I dug the grave I ended up waking up in the mill. After introducing myself to Radzig, I took the training with Bernard. Capon beat me in archery, I beat him at fencing.

With that quest done, I immediately set off, on foot and unarmed, all the way back from Rattay to Skalitz to pick up my stuff. As you may or may not know, there are two groups of hostile armored muthas whacking each other in the middle of the village. They are scripted to appear when you approach, and you can only enter the village from the gate that's facing them.

I went full sneaksie taffer mode and got inside hugging the palisade to my right. For added drama one of them shouted "Who goes there" but apparently left it at that. I went around the village center and reached my house. My joy when I saw my stash was still there was immeasurable. As I snuck back out of the village via the same route I didn't see any bad guys. I walked some distance out of the village and then remembered that actually the two dead bodies of the defeated group should be still there for looting. However when I got back I saw two groups fighting again. I guess they respawned?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
    • Salute Salute x 3
    • incline incline x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • what? what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. udm Arcane Patron

udm
    Yes they respawn, and once you learn Riposte and get your fighting skills up to an acceptable level, they're an easy source of infinite income + levelling in all combat stats. If you get lucky, one of the groups spawned might be guards, in which case the fight gets easier.

• Salute Salute x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Gerrard Arcane

Gerrard
    How do you make this game not run like shit? The slowdowns are honestly getting on my nerves, I can have 60FPS one moment, turn a corner, and it drops to 25.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. AwesomeButton Personally falsified the US election results Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    i7 4790k (2014)
    8 GB DDR3 (2014)
    GTX 1080ti (2017)

In certain scenes it will run like shit on any card and setup - most prominently for example when a few guys in a group all carry torches at night on the walls of Talmberg. But the rest of the time it runs at 60 for me at 1440p. I've got everything at Ultra, except shadows and shaders which I keep on High, although I think I could bear Very High. Some video I watched claims the difference between Ultra and Low "Shadows" is 20 fps, which is the most impactful. "Shader Quality" is the next most impactful.

I tried to wheeze past them once and they cut me down, then there were Cumans, but I've also heard English speech. I try not to grind past the point when it gets un-immersive :) But that's a subjective metric.

^ Top  
  11. Bad Sector Cipher Patron

Bad Sector
    Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
    And why is this something the developers should even care about?

And where does the tension actually come from?

I mean, ok, i think you see where i'm going with that: disallowing saving anywhere means that you can die and have to restart at some point earlier than you'd like to which in turn means that the game is creating an artificial barrier that comes not from the game's own simulation rules but from the interaction you have with the simulation's implementation itself (the savesystem) thus increasing the perceived difficulty of the game which is what feeds the tension you mention (you certainly do not want to repeat sections of the game you've already beat and it slows down your overall progression, giving pretty much the same feeling as proper rule-based difficulty which also slows down your progression). This as i wrote previously is bad design since the game should instead rely on its rules for that difficulty and not be affected by simulation implementation details like the savesystem.

• STOP! posting STOP! posting x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Bad Sector Cipher Patron

Bad Sector
  13. Gerrard Arcane

Gerrard
    I'm doing "The House of God", got to the mill, saved before going in, talk to the giuy, he attacks me, I have no chance of winning because my combat skills are shit, die.
    Reload, go talk to the guy, pull out weapon immediately after dialogue ends, kill him before he can pull his sword out.
    Yep, great combat system, great save system, really prevents "save scumming" and enriches the experience. Fucking retards.

It's not low framerate that's the issue, it's inconsistent framerate. In towns even turning around causes the framerate to drop, it's like there's some issue with content streaming.
    Still the game has fully dynamic shadows cast from torches so that's more than Cyberwank 2077 can do.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
    • retadred retadred x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. AwesomeButton Personally falsified the US election results Patron

AwesomeButton
    You are on an HDD. Sorry, nothing can really improve things there.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. AwesomeButton Personally falsified the US election results Patron

AwesomeButton
    I ingeniously decided to go into the Raffen cave where Panam takes you, after her quest and without Panam, and use my motor bike's light to illuminate the cave. It was hilarious how it worked until just a little ways inside the cave where suddenly it stopped projecting light :lol:

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. Jrpgfan Arbiter

Jrpgfan
    Try lowering shadows, shader quality and lightining. Those are the most taxing settings.

I have to lower shadows and shader quality to medium and lightining to high on a RTX 2080 Super to get smooth framerates and it's still not 100% stable. It's a badly optimized game, unfortunately.

If your fps is varying widly you might wanna lock it on rivatuner to a lower value. What some people do to get the "console experience" is setting half refresh vsync on the gpu's panel and locking the fps to 30 on rtss(assuming you have a 60hz display, otherwise you should change your monitor refresh rate to 60 or whatever value you feel your game would be stable at half the number and set it accordingly on RTSS).

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. udm Arcane Patron

udm
    Anyway I finally finished the game after 120 hours (played sporadically because work has been hell). Love it, and I stand by my initial thoughts that it's one of the best games to come out on PC in the last 5 years. Doesn't mean it's perfect: levelling becomes meaningless about halfway through the game, riposte is overpowered while combos are useless, crime system is hilariously jank, and dialogue can be inconsistent. Also, you'll hate the monastery segment if the save system bothers you.

But overall the game is wonderfully written and quests are varied enough. I think the length of the game is just right as there wasn't much of a carrot Ieft by the time I reached the last few segments. Great experience overall, and no regrets getting the DLCs too :greatjob:

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • incline incline x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. Gerrard Arcane

Gerrard
    Okay retard

[​IMG]

Yeah I found some article where they listed which settings are the most taxing and lowered those first. I think it's the characters that cause the biggest impact, I wonder if it might be related to the game loading and unloading their clothes or something, Like when you change your equipment in inventory, there's a slight pause as the game fixes the look for all the layers.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Bigg Boss Arcane

Bigg Boss
    It ran fine for me so no problem exists.

• How about this as a button x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Danikas Arcane

Danikas
    I have the same problem on ssd turning around in towns will dip the framerate hard for like half a second then it will go to normal.

^ Top  
  21. Jrpgfan Arbiter

Jrpgfan
    The DLCs are the best content in the game IMO, so yea, they're definitely worth it. The two last quests in Capon's adventures were pure gold. I went all the way in on the revenant quest even though I had the money to buy the potion and I did not regret it. Probably the funniest quest in the game. The last one was hilarious too.

The whole Johanka questline was also very well done.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Jrpgfan Arbiter

Jrpgfan
    From my testings I found out the shadows are what impact performance the most during the day, and it's more pronounced in Rattay, so it might be related to that.

At night torches close to shiny armors slaughter the performance for me. It becomes unplayable on ultra at 1440p.

^ Top  
  23. Harthwain Liturgist

Harthwain
    That's your opinion and I am not sharing it. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Alexander DeLarge Arbiter

Alexander DeLarge
    I'd play the shit out of Daggerfall on a Switch. Wonder how DFUnity plays on a controller.

^ Top  
  25. Bad Sector Cipher Patron

Bad Sector
    Sure, though it isn't just some arbitrary opinion like preferring black shirts over blue shirts or whatever, i have explained why i wrote that and believe that i have a consistent reasoning (which is also why i am not just going to change my mind just because some people disagree with me without also going into details). Perhaps i'll write some detailed article on the topic at some point because my points are spread all over this post (and i think some other post) which unless you discussed them with me makes them hard to follow and i end up repeating the same stuff over and over. A nice detailed article that i can link to people would help (...and also help me since i'll need to organize that stuff properly).

• No No x 1
    • STOP! posting STOP! posting x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.