Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
To be fair, when I saw FotR 20 years ago I also thought it was shit. Like it was a terrible decline, from Tolkien's epic, heroic, poetic high-literature to banal American akshun popculture. Pretty much what Christopher Tolkien thought about the films.

And I still think it's kindda true but I grew to love the trilogy. And the comparison with Rings of Power is offensive, these two shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence.

somerandomdude

Learned
Wtf are ya'll prattling about here? What abbandoning of moral principles? What money dangling? What diet?

Vavra is eminently based, he'd fit here on the Dex perfectly. His shitposting on FB is making Prague lefties red in the face which is glorious. They've made dozens of report raids on him and got him banned repeatedly but he always comes back stronger.

And he wasn't exactly shitting on LotR, just said a few props were p. bad (Gimli's helmet) which contrasted with the generally great prop quality, which is true. He also pointed out the profound difference in CGI quality between the first and last film, which is surprising given they were all filmed within a few years. Which is also true.

Based Dan is cool, he's just got poor taste in games if he thinks that Cyberpunk is a masterpiece.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
We've been over this Vavra has a one note vision of what an RPG is supposed to be like and believes in that vision absolutely. Codexers were just barking off the wrong tree trying to argue him out of it. Of course he is going to praise Cyberpunk, because flawed or not the game still falls in line with his own vision of what this genre is supposed to be about. Notice how right off the bat he praises the story since that's obviously very important to him, as seen in his own games.

I don't know why people still expect him to turn "Codexian" at this point. The best you can hope from him is that he keeps making good games within the specific mold that he likes.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
His views on what make the perfect RPG are slightly weird, but at the end of the day who cares.

As long as he keeps resisting bullshit and making good games then that is all that matters.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Notice how right off the bat he praises the story since that's obviously very important to him, as seen in his own games.

I don't know why people still expect him to turn "Codexian" at this point.

What even is "Codexian"? Someone who doesn't care about stories, writing and dialogues? Have you seen the Codex All Time Grorious RPGs list?

ALL the Top 10 games there are heavily relying on story, text and sprawling dialogues. The first combatfag/systemfag RPG where story and dialogues are waay in the background is Dark Souls, ranked 12.

Codex Year of the Donut
Notice how right off the bat he praises the story since that's obviously very important to him, as seen in his own games.

I don't know why people still expect him to turn "Codexian" at this point.

What even is "Codexian"? Someone who doesn't care about stories, writing and dialogues? Have you seen the Codex All Time Grorious RPGs list?

ALL the Top 10 games there are heavily relying on story, text and sprawling dialogues. The first combatfag/systemfag RPG where story and dialogues are waay in the background is Dark Souls, ranked 12.
Fallouts & Arcanum aren't storyfag games like PST. Emphasis on player agency, world interaction, etc.,

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
PST isn't what Vavra has in mind either. We don't have to speculate what he means either. Mafia and Kingdom Come show us exactly where his tastes lie.

In a sense, Vavra wants to do the same thing the industry wants to do. He thinks roleplaying is about "experiencing" the role as if the player was actually living it. The difference between him and other devs is that he is going the right way about it. Codexers may scoff at the idea roleplaying has anything to do with "experiencing" anything, but if one MUST go that road, there's no better way to do it than how Vavra is doing it.

pickmeister

Learned
Vavra's problem isn't in his taste or style. The problem is in his project management, execution, and lack of self-awareness.

It's great that he's doing things differently. But if your game turns out to be a buggy, janky mess and you don't know why, you lose the right to shit on other products. Or you're not as significant part of the project as you're making yourself out to be and therefore, you shouldn't be propping yourself up as one.
He said many times in interviews when asked about whatever - KCD or other games he worked on related - "Yeah, I don't know why it turned out this way." or "Yeah, someone came up with the idea. I was against it but everyone wanted it so we put it in.". Yet he keeps shitting on everything else in a way "I'm doing it better!". Sure, you're doing things differently and that's good. But then you ruin it with mechanics that don't work together or are tedious as fuck.

KCD as a whole is forgettable. Only things that impressed me were the 2D art (map, wall paintings, some other parts of UI etc.) and the quest where you get drunk with the priest.
Good 2D artist and one memorable quest. What a success. They could probably make two Skyrims with the same amount of time and effort and the world would be the same. He'd be richer too. I almost feel sorry for him when he brags about being a quarter-billionaire.

Yes, he really does brag about being a quarter-billionaire. He probably thinks it's funny.

People are complicating things. Vávra considers Soyberpunk and Witcher 3 masterpieces, because he has friends and former colleagues who work for CD project and overall has a good relationship with the company. Afterall, this is the same man who found over 100 (good) reasons to shit Skyrim, some of which can be found in both Glitcher and Cybergunk. He's just being nice.

pickmeister

Learned

Did Vavra fuck your fav teddy bear and ate your ice cream?

Because you talk like someone who's fav teddy bear was fucked and ice cream eaten.
Shouldn't you be licking his fat asshole in his newest ignorant wannabe smart facebook post?

People are complicating things. Vávra considers Soyberpunk and Witcher 3 masterpieces, because he has friends and former colleagues who work for CD project and overall has a good relationship with the company. Afterall, this is the same man who found over 100 (good) reasons to shit Skyrim, some of which can be found in both Glitcher and Cybergunk. He's just being nice.
Don't think so. He criticized the Mafia remake and explicitly said "Now I'll probably make my old colleagues who still work there mad but ..".
If he said he considers it a masterpiece, then he really does. No matter the people behind it.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
ca259wbh15041.jpg

Harthwain

Magister
KCD as a whole is forgettable. Only things that impressed me were the 2D art (map, wall paintings, some other parts of UI etc.) and the quest where you get drunk with the priest.
Good 2D artist and one memorable quest. What a success. They could probably make two Skyrims with the same amount of time and effort and the world would be the same. He'd be richer too. I almost feel sorry for him when he brags about being a quarter-billionaire.
Um, no. I'd rather have the world with Kingdom Come: Deliverance, rather than have two more Skyrims. I respect Czechs (including Vavra) for the courage to make a goddamn historical game over just another generic fantasy.

:hero:

pickmeister

Learned
Um, no. I'd rather have the world with Kingdom Come: Deliverance, rather than have two more Skyrims. I respect Czechs (including Vavra) for the courage to make a goddamn historical game over just another generic fantasy.

:hero:
You don’t need courage to make a game. A game sells itself as long as it is good or you have enough marketing.

It would be great to have more historical games. I agree.
But why bother unless you do it right?

V17

Educated
Vavra is eminently based, he'd fit here on the Dex perfectly. His shitposting on FB is making Prague lefties red in the face which is glorious. They've made dozens of report raids on him and got him banned repeatedly but he always comes back stronger.
As much as I like pissing off wokesters and his speaking out against censorship, a lot of what Vávra says is just stupid and ignorant in the true sense of the word - not as in "he doesn't follow woke trends" but as in "he talks about things he's too fucking lazy to read up even the basic facts on". He's a prime example of someone whose success in one field makes him falsely think that he understands everything else. I hope that among all that nonsense he still spends effort on working on the game, the thing he's actually good at.
Bruh KCD is just Skyrim without magic and with savior schanpps.
nice bait

likash

Savant
Glory to Ukraine
You guys should watch the Medieval(2022) movie. It's quite a decent flick about the period the games takes place. Ben Foster is a really underrated actor.

Paul_cz

Arcane
I've always assumed that his opinion there on Cyberpunk 2077 stems mainly from his comradery(?) with the Poles. Kind of like a patriotism-fueled opinion, in that sense.
No, it stems from the fact that it is fucking awesome game, idiot hate notwithstanding.
Vávra actually hated on it quite a lot at first after playing first few hours, only later when the story got going did he change his mind.
And yeah, as a developer who makes similar type of RPG (first person, high production values) he knows how much insane work went into it recognizes it as such.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
In a sense, Vavra wants to do the same thing the industry wants to do. He thinks roleplaying is about "experiencing" the role as if the player was actually living it. The difference between him and other devs is that he is going the right way about it. Codexers may scoff at the idea roleplaying has anything to do with "experiencing" anything, but if one MUST go that road, there's no better way to do it than how Vavra is doing it.
Vavra's game-design tendencies might be far superior to the typical tendencies of AAA game design, but they could still be considerably improved. He is the person responsible for KCD's heavy focus on cinematic cutscenes involving a pregenerated character, emulating games such as the The Witcher II/III, even though these detract from RPG immersion and the experience of the player. Similarly, Vavra insisted on prolonging the main plot in order to have as much exposition of the life of Henry as possible, preparing the grounds for at least one sequel, even though this results in the game dragging on and on in the later parts, with repeated anticlimaxes; there's even a second bandit fortress that again fails to fully resolve Henry's situation after their defeat. The true heroes of KCD are those who designed its systems and its historically-grounded Open World setting.

somerandomdude

Learned
I didn't care much for KCD, I just couldn't get into the game. Feel the same way about TES games, or open world games like this in general, and KCD doesn't have nearly as much support from the modding community as games like Skyrim.

I might be interested in KCD 2, if some changes are made. A lot of the reasonable stuff people are critical of the game for, I share many of those opinions as well. So, Dan knows where he needs to improve. If Henry is back as main character, It's gonna be a hard pass for me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom