Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
That's intersting, i met Bernard for training, and asked me to teach masterstrikes. I picked mace, and i had no idea that with mace you can actually get injured. After the lesson i was pretty beat up went on google and apparently there's no safe "mace" version in the game. Since i thought it was safe i wasn't worried about getting injured so i got wrecked. So i reloaded, and went with him again and just sparred casually to skip the preamble and get to the master strikes part of the lesson, except it never came. Apparently, if you suck at the start of the lesson, he'll just tell you to fuck off and won't complete the training. Nice touch there.

BTW, why isn't there a version of this guy for bows lmao.

[EDIT] Ho shit you actually get healed at the end of the fight nevermind lmao.

Sadly, i don't think the lesson taught me anything as he only attacked me in slow motion which actually makes it worse. I can't learn like that i wish he would have swung for real.

[EDIT #2] Wait, you can only sparr with him once a day?

Last edited:

Modron

Arcane
This is my Henry after ~60h of gameplay. Stopped main quest after getting my own town, and explored the map, and did sidequests. The skills that you don't see assume they're lvl 20.
I really should have written down my outfit somewhere was basically able to be almost as good as top platemail but 0 noise when using that repair perk/feat/whatever that lowered noise of armor pieces you fixed yourself.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Nevermind, the AI just made Bernard leave for a second but he came back. This is broken as hell you can basically just train with him until you are max level with everything? Or does it stop after a while. I remember i couldn't train pickpocket past level 5 with the guy at the mill.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Are there mods that you guys would say improve the combat? I'm not going to install any as i want to experience this first run as is, but for future reference.
IIRC there are some good ones, PorkyThePaladin talked about them in some detail. Never tried them but apparently they remove Master Strikes that kindda turn the combat against high-level mobs into a ridiculous game of "wait for 3 minutes for the dude to swing, then master-strike him".
You only have to do that if you're bad. Learn how to faint and you can at the very least get them to do a less then perfect block which you can chain into a combo, or if it's a hit you can chain into other good shit. Plus you should be walking enemies down against objects so they're FORCED to block instead of dodging, and you can also utilize clinches to get a free hit. One thing that would make the game way better is if enemies actually took their free hit after they beat you in a clinch, but they don't, which makes shit too easy. Only major drawback I'd say outside of how bad switching between targets is.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nevermind, the AI just made Bernard leave for a second but he came back. This is broken as hell you can basically just train with him until you are max level with everything? Or does it stop after a while. I remember i couldn't train pickpocket past level 5 with the guy at the mill.

You can indeed just train with him till you are maxed out. That's why I've always tried to have a bit of self control with Bernard.

Playing with the numbskull hardcore perk helps a lot, as you can still level combat skills relatively quickly but the pace is still slowed somewhat.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Also another way of balancing Bernard combat is to train with real weapons. He'll beat the hell out of your equipment and give you some injuries (though stop short of killing you).

It adds a bit of actual cost and consequence to the training.

Valdetiosi

Scholar
Are there mods that you guys would say improve the combat? I'm not going to install any as i want to experience this first run as is, but for future reference.
Tend to use Better Combat and Immersion Compilation. Master strikes can only be done by you and enemy if you mirror where the weapon is at. Also nerfs and buffs bunch of minor things, but in grand scheme of things, being capable of doing combo and not being interrupted by master strike is why this mod goes to be essential for me.

That's intersting, i met Bernard for training, and asked me to teach masterstrikes. I picked mace, and i had no idea that with mace you can actually get injured. After the lesson i was pretty beat up went on google and apparently there's no safe "mace" version in the game.

Game already showing you in the tutorial that maces are OP.

I've only used this so far.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I'll definitely keep those in mind for my next playthrough.

Still chasing after that Merciful achievement, except doing it my own dirty way. Doing a quest called Ruin, where i have to kill a bandit. Went to the camp at night, and managed to choke out three of them. The last two were sleeping, including the one that i had to kill, and to my dismay waking them up made them chase after me in their undergarments, which is annoying because i wanted to loot their shit, especially the leader. There's a chest nearby where i assume their gear is, but i can't unlock it, and there's no keys on any of the bodies.

So i take the three unconcious bodies away from the camp, and as soon as one of them wakes up i sic Mutt at him and he kills him, which is easy because the bandit has no gear. I do this three times, then ride out to my next target: getting the lost ring from the lady in the bathhouse on behalf of the miller. I sneak inside, and loot everything, chests, the sleeping ladies, no morals left for this Henry. Alas, the chest with the ring cannot be lockpiked without waking one of the thots, so i had to pickpocket the key, which means i'll probably have the guards in Rattay giving me shit again, all though i picked the perk that makes you less visible to them. So i drop all the shit in my chest, go to sleep and first thing in the morning i ride out back to the bandit camp and sure enough there's only two of them. I choke out the leader. The other one catches me doing but it doesn't matter he is no match for me. I tell him to surrender his weapon then i chase after him to beat him with my fists. I then use Mutt to kill both of them and now i'm back to town, quest accomplished, and even have those bandit ears to show for it lmao. And the cherry on top: i shoot arrows at their horse to train my archery skills lul.

I am unstoppable, the master of crime and villany.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Whoa i think i just spotted a script. There's a poacher not far from the bandits camp. As soon as i get near he gets angry, so i figured, i'll leave, come back and choke him as usally but every time i move in he starts running down the slope towards me but the moment i back step he goes back to his routine. I have a feeling the AI is scripted to just run to my face and i can't sneak up on him because that stupid script takes precedence. This is bullshit.

[EDIT] Ok, so i found out you can choke people even after they spot you, just go behind them, but i also now discovered that poachers are regular people? His loot is considered stolen. Aren't they criminals the hell is this.

Last edited:
IIRC there are some good ones, PorkyThePaladin talked about them in some detail. Never tried them but apparently they remove Master Strikes that kindda turn the combat against high-level mobs into a ridiculous game of "wait for 3 minutes for the dude to swing, then master-strike him".

The mods are literally linked in the Codex review:

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/kingdom-come-deliverance-modding-thread.126473/#post-6034566

That post is from 2019 though, so it's entirely possible newer and/or better mods have been created since then. I would VERY STRONGLY recommend playing KCD with mods suggested in that thread (or better later equivalents of them), because they take KCD from a good game to a masterpiece. As cvv mentioned, they remove master strike, which is a game-breaking mechanism, ruining the entire flow of combat that they created, they also rebalance various frequencies of attacks and defenses, to create a combat that flows back and forth like real like HEMA type stuff or movie type stuff. Finally, they improve the rate of encounters (something vanilla suffers from) to make the game more interesting and eventful, and make the entire thing more immersive with far better UI, map, etc. Read the thread for more details.

PorkyThePaladin What about my post is shit?
You only have to do that if you're bad. Learn how to faint and you can at the very least get them to do a less then perfect block which you can chain into a combo, or if it's a hit you can chain into other good shit.

Feinting was pretty ineffective in KCD last time I played.

Plus you should be walking enemies down against objects so they're FORCED to block instead of dodging,

Meh, that's very situational and most enemies can block/parry anyway, so...

and you can also utilize clinches to get a free hit.

Clinch was a broken cheese move in vanilla.

I am not gonna tell you how to play, but do you want your fight to look like video game cheese or do you want it to look like something out of a medieval movie scene? If the latter, use mods.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
It actually is pretty effective.

Wasn't effective at all when I played. Maybe they changed it since 2019, but I doubt it. Also I play on hard difficulties, maybe at the difficulty you play it works better.

He has a point: if your enemies can't move, they can't run away.

You did not address any of my points here. By situational, I mean it requires for there to be objects to jam them into, which is not always the case, depending on the fight. And two, if you stop them from dodging, they can still block/parry, so what did you really achieve? You just did all that to make them switch from one defensive technique to another, arguably more effective one?

All in all, you're pressing buttons for no good reason, Porky.

I am clearly pressing your buttons. :smug:

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I can faint and get a free hit almost 100% of the time when I use it. You're just not doing it right.
Combine it with feinting and you can get around the block/parry, and if they block it that's when you start your combo.

I am not gonna tell you how to play, but do you want your fight to look like video game cheese or do you want it to look like something out of a medieval movie scene? If the latter, use mods.
There's a difference between abusing it, and using it sparingly. I'm not going to pretend like the combat system can't be completely cheesed and broken, but if you just avoid doing that, it's still more then serviceable. OFC it's far from perfect hence my suggestions to fix it. I also think Master Strikes should require extremely precise frame inputs of like 1-5.

All-in-all, fairly meek responses for a "shit" rating. Just say you like your hyper autistic mods and leave it at that.

I can faint and get a free hit almost 100% of the time when I use it. You're just not doing it right.

"Faint" means to lose consciousness, like young ladies do. Feint, which I hope is what you mean, did not work in 2019 when I tried it. If it works for you now, ok, maybe they changed it, but even if it does, it still doesn't sound like fun. You just do something and it works every time, the combat with the mods, on the other hand, is much more back and forth exchanges, which is what real combat is.

Combine it with feinting and you can get around the block/parry, and if they block it that's when you start your combo.

So why do you even need to block them in then?

There's a difference between abusing it, and using it sparingly. I'm not going to pretend like the combat system can't be completely cheesed and broken, but if you just avoid doing that, it's still more then serviceable. OFC it's far from perfect hence my suggestions to fix it. I also think Master Strikes should require extremely precise frame inputs of like 1-5.

All-in-all, fairly meek responses for a "shit" rating. Just say you like your hyper autistic mods and leave it at that.

Ok, use cheese sparingly if you want. Or play the best, most realistic HEMA style combat. Difficult choice, I know.

kites

samsung verizon hitachi
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I want to continue my cozy @20hr playthrough from earlier this year, but I got really pissed off at the jank + all-seeing and omnipotent/retarded/weird AI.. if they are confirmed at working on #2 this is my biggest hope, fuck 4k beta forests

Getting back on a horse you stole from 5miles away? stop right there criminal skum

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Getting back on a horse you stole from 5miles away? stop right there criminal skum

I know this only because i tried it myself and had to google it: you can't steal horses in this game. The horse will never lose its "stolen" status. Guess they did it for balancing reasons.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I just discovered i can repair weapons on my own using the grinder and not waist a kit on it...

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
WTF the last guy from the tourney just ganked me. I think its him he said some about takin his "prize".

whocares

Savant
I will not eat the bugs. I will not live in a pod. I will not use 2FA.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom