Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

IMO it's the best questline in the whole game and one of the greatest in history of rpgs
Yep, easily up there with the best quests in Witcher 3.
Sure beats Red Baron in terms of sheer reactivity and is similar in terms of emotional engagement.
I don't even consider Red Baron in the Top 5. It's very good but most of the DLC quests are better.

For me the MQ in Hearts of Stone is the best written quest in any RPG I've ever played. No.1 bar none. But Madonna from KCD would be in the Top 5.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
media%2FGA0GjZHXsAAkcFu.jpg

Der Meister explains.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
In terms of Embracer, if they have to make money for that mega loan. Wouldn't it be easier to sell off a few IPs or studios, than to try to develop and release games? Seems like a fairly long-time investment for a company that needs money now. Just seems weird they would banking on KCD2 making millions when who knows how long out it is for release.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
it looks like Embracer does everything in its power to make sure that KCD2 will be a hit to knock out any competition and top KCD1's numbers
Um, not sure if they're expecting Elden Ring or BG3 numbers but if they are they'll be sorely disappointed.

I'm p. sure with Embracer money the sequel will be less janky and more AAA but it's still a game without muh draghuns and muh majic and it's about some obscure era and place full of boring white people and you can't have a threesome between a lesbian MC with a side-shave, a gay impersonation of Mother Earth and a non-binary squirrel.

Boring af.

Renfri

Cipher
I played main game quite far when it originally came out, but for some reason I quit and it turned out I stopped playing when there was just 1 hour left :|.
While replaying main game from start, I bought 2 DLCs from Xmas sale: The Amorous Adventures of Bold Sir Hans Capon and A Woman's Lot. I cannot imagine how it must have felt to be scammed after buying Hans DLC full price, amount of content was ridiculous. At least it was funny and entertaining. A Woman's Lot was better than I expected, it was interesting to see assault and next day from different perspective, but I felt there was alot of running around without access to horse. Main game was pretty good though, perhaps little bit janky but endearing.

Rating them while ignoring price:
Hans :4/5:
Woman :2/5:
Main game :4/5:
Did you play the second part of Women's Lot dlc, the Madonna of Sasau questline in the main campaign?

IMO it's the best questline in the whole game and one of the greatest in history of rpgs as a whole, taking full advantage of your skills, actions, earlier deeds and relations with NPCs, with tons of reactivity and several possible endings, including the one that ends the game for you.

After Madonna of Sasau I doubt you'd grade Woman's Lot 2/5.
Woman's Lot was better than I expected, it was interesting to see assault and next day from different perspective
That is only half of Woman's Lot. Second half is a questline you play as Henry, helping Bianca (and it is one of the best questlines in the game).
Helping Johanka you mean (rip Bianca :(), I found that out after posting my review. Unfortunately it was hidden and I had to do side quest before it appeared. It was certainly alot better than Theresa part or Hans DLC. The quest referenced alot what you had done in game overall, which felt really cool too.
I did and liked it. Easily one of best quests of the game.
Woman's Lot is now officially: :4/5:

TheKing01

Literate
Uncompromisingly accurate, hilariously janky. Enjoyed my time with this game. The C&C was nice, however, not communicating to the player that certain quests are timed and others are not is objectively poor game design. Anything where you have to look up something arbitrarily on the interwebs to understands it's mechanical value is poorly designed. The defense of "but our old games did it!" don't apply. Those were manuals that came with the game back in your glorious 80s-90s. This isn't even considering the risk you run of encountering spoilers online...

Anyway, 8/10. I enjoyed it. Probably won't see a sequel for quite some time.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
not communicating to the player that certain quests are timed and others are not is objectively poor game design
Most are communicated clearly but few are not. They're kindda relying on IRL logic, as if the devs are trying to say "of course you gotta cure people quickly or they die", but game logic doesn't always = IRL logic. There are countless examples in the game where IRL logic doesn't apply at all.

So I agree - whenever you have a timed quest you have to let players know in some way. Relying on IRL logic is not enough.

SlamDunk

Arcane
Anything where you have to look up something arbitrarily on the interwebs to understands its mechanical value is poorly designed.
I finished the game without having to look up anything. You failed to a) pay attention to the game and b) realise the general gist of the gameplay.

Beowulf

Arcane
Ah yes, I remember reading that people postponed resolving next steps of that quest and were surprised that they failed.
But tbh I played it so long ago that I don't really remember any time sensitive quests apart from that. Or perhaps I didn't even realize that they were timed.
The only thing I looked up was the single quest lady spawning mid air and dying due to fall damage and that one revolving around your friends posing as Cumans or bandits, as it was also bugged or unfinished.

It is without question one of the greatest RPGs of the last decade in my opinion. While the combat system is clunky, the immersion, quests and exploration are within the best I've seen in other games. The main story and the twist are okayish and do their job.
You have to take your time to get into KC:D, but once you understand the mechanics, it is very rewarding. It would be better with custom character creation, though. I loved the historical accuracy and would like more games to include that.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
That line Theresa delivers when she comes to the rescue of Henry - "Hey, you goatfuckers!" or whatever the fuck it was...
Yeah, pretty cringe.
Still, she's alright...

thesecret1

Arcane
That line Theresa delivers when she comes to the rescue of Henry - "Hey, you goatfuckers!" or whatever the fuck it was...
Yeah, pretty cringe.

The DLC makes it worse, because apparently she didn't know Talmberg Knights were coming
The DLC has put that scene into good context, actually. Who cares about the knights? I had just stealth killed like 50 cumans and headshot another 30; of course she wouldn't be scared of some bandits. If anything, they were lucky - had the knights not chased them off, they'd all have gotten sniped.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Str0ng womyn Theresa!
Though she is an alright gal with no retarded daddy issues and the like.
There actually are strong women in this world, as everyone who leave their house once in a while knows. And Theresa represents that archetype very well.

As opposed to the bizarre imaginary mutants from modern Hollywood movies called "strong female characters" for some unfathomable reason.

But that goatfucker line IS p. bad, yeah.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Str0ng womyn Theresa!
Though she is an alright gal with no retarded daddy issues and the like.
There actually are strong women in this world, as everyone who leave their house once in a while knows. And Theresa represents that archetype very well.

As opposed to the bizarre imaginary mutants from modern Hollywood movies called "strong female characters" for some unfathomable reason.

But that goatfucker line IS p. bad, yeah.
Exactly.
She is a woman who knows her role in the world and works with what she has.

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
Yeah, pretty cringe.

The DLC makes it worse, because apparently she didn't know Talmberg Knights were coming
The DLC has put that scene into good context, actually. Who cares about the knights? I had just stealth killed like 50 cumans and headshot another 30; of course she wouldn't be scared of some bandits. If anything, they were lucky - had the knights not chased them off, they'd all have gotten sniped.

Nope, Runt has plot armor in that scene. Only the superior Talmberg plot cavalry can defeat him

thesecret1

Arcane
Yeah, pretty cringe.

Nope, Runt has plot armor in that scene. Only the superior Talmberg plot cavalry can defeat him
Wasn't it a bug on release that he could be killed, thus soft-locking the game? :-D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom