Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance Pre-Release Thread [RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
After all, there was The Westeros Project for Skyrim which was to have a 1:1 scale map of Westeros, fully populated, with hand-made terrain features. :)

Smejki

Larian Studios, ex-Warhorse
Developer
Yeah. Or there was this project which aimed to create LOTR world for Oblivion. And after a while the guys realized there's a harcoded limit to map size. So they imported a tiny part of the heightmap, showed it to public.... and that's where the development stopped.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
I just looked over the GOG page. It's a crying shame there is no Cz voice localization, I'd love to play it in the original language with English subtitles. Are there any commitments, plans, wishes, on the devs' part to add voiceovers in more languages? Once the revenues begin pouring in :)

My guess is we'll get the Czech dubbing if the game is successful and they have some extra dough to blow. Right now it'd be hilariously wasteful, the Czech market is tiny.

As someone who hates to watch dubbed animeit's physically painful for me to look at all these Slav faces and hear dialogues in perfect English.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Yeah. Or there was this project which aimed to create LOTR world for Oblivion. And after a while the guys realized there's a harcoded limit to map size. So they imported a tiny part of the heightmap, showed it to public.... and that's where the development stopped.

Westeros won't fit into 16km^2 so you guys hopefully don't have a hard or soft map size limit ;)

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I just looked over the GOG page. It's a crying shame there is no Cz voice localization, I'd love to play it in the original language with English subtitles. Are there any commitments, plans, wishes, on the devs' part to add voiceovers in more languages? Once the revenues begin pouring in :)

My guess is we'll get the Czech dubbing if the game is successful and they have some extra dough to blow. Right now it'd be hilariously wasteful, the Czech market is tiny.

As someone who hates to watch dubbed animeit's physically painful for me to look at all these Slav faces and hear dialogues in perfect English.
I know you don't say this in a pejorative sense, but speaking of Slav faces reminded me - actually the Central-East Europe region was incredibly diverse, contrary to what some misguided internally confused degenerates have been whining about lately.

First, you had Avars and various other nomad tribes which were under Attila's rule, who settled permanently in the region after Attila's death and his empire's disintegration. Later (10th c.) came the Magyars, after them there was another wave of central-Asian nomads moving west during the 11th-12th c., supposedly their migration was triggered by a climatic micro-optimum which lead to a population explosion and lack of pasture land. Some settled in the Danube valley, north of the Danube, others south of it, others reached the Pannonian plain, others the Moravian. As a rule, nomads look for plains to settle, so they can grow and breed their big herds of horses. The game does contain a quest about fighting off some Cumans, I saw it in some demo on youtube.

So, when I come to think of it, the nagging about the game being about "white people" becomes all the more absurd. Most of these idiots probably think Europe is a country, and are tripping over themselves to demonstrate to their buddies how sensitive they are to problems of discrimination, and how much they strive to "raise awereness".

agris

Arcane
Patron
From Jan 9th, 2017

Christian Piontek said:
Hello XXXXX,

Right now Czech Voiceovers are not available at all. Maybe this option will be available later. If we will have Czech voiceovers, this will be a translation from the English original. The production of the game is made in a mixture of Czech and English.

Best regards,

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Christian Piontek said:
Hello XXXXX,

Right now Czech Voiceovers are not available at all. Maybe this option will be available later. If we will have Czech voiceovers, this will be a translation from the English original. The production of the game is made in a mixture of Czech and English.

Best regards,

Wait, the game was originally written in English? In the credits the entire writing team are clearly Czechs.

What's up with that Smejki?

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
Wait, the game was originally written in English? In the credits the entire writing team are clearly Czechs.

I took this to mean that the dialogue was written in English, such that if there was Czech VO, the lines would be translated to Czech from that English script.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

I took this to mean that the dialogue was written in English, such that if there was Czech VO, the lines would be translated to Czech from that English script.

Well yeah, that's what I'm asking. If you look at the credits the writers are Czechs so I'm wondering if they really wrote the game (or part of it) in English.

agris

Arcane
Patron

Well yeah, that's what I'm asking. If you look at the credits the writers are Czechs so I'm wondering if they really wrote the game (or part of it) in English.
Given that Christian said "If we will have Czech voiceovers, this will be a translation from the English original.", I would assume that, yes, they wrote it in English.

If they wrote any part in Czech, what would there be to translate?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I know you don't say this in a pejorative sense, but speaking of Slav faces reminded me - actually the Central-East Europe region was incredibly diverse, contrary to what some misguided internally confused degenerates have been whining about lately.

First, you had Avars and various other nomad tribes which were under Attila's rule, who settled permanently in the region after Attila's death and his empire's disintegration. Later (10th c.) came the Magyars, after them there was another wave of central-Asian nomads moving west during the 11th-12th c., supposedly their migration was triggered by a climatic micro-optimum which lead to a population explosion and lack of pasture land. Some settled in the Danube valley, north of the Danube, others south of it, others reached the Pannonian plain, others the Moravian. As a rule, nomads look for plains to settle, so they can grow and breed their big herds of horses. The game does contain a quest about fighting off some Cumans, I saw it in some demo on youtube.

So some facts about czech republic population:
For some reason they have TWICE amount of AVAR genes than surrounding countries.
Aside of Slovakia, it's only country in the world that has that gene that's normally found only in Japan population. (And language has some Japanese loan words.)
Along with Slovakia it's only country in the world that has VERY special L2a1k gene. (L genes are typically found in Africa, but this is in a variation that doesn't exist in Africa. Or is extremely rare even in Africa.)
It has obvious share of Adams family DNA R1b1b2, R1a1, and I2a1. All in quite bad mix. And of course gypsies DNA as intermix.

To sum it up, CURRENT chance for genetic defects is high because of too many intermixing, and safest groups for intermix are mostly Germans. Considering the suspicion an intermix with Ukrainians, or Poles will not get czechs and moravians anything nice (silesians should be actually fine to intermix with these from original Cieszyn duchy). 1410 wasn't that bad, even when AVAR DNA didn't stabilized yet. But considering Black Death and starvation after AVAR intermix, the bad combinations probably mostly disappeared.

On the positive side in 1960 the federation was one of few WORKING multicultural societies in Europe with constitution guaranteed rights for Slovakians, czechs, moravians, and silesians. Basically when they recovered the country from Habsburg occupation, they wanted to give rights to old population from 1340 era.

In 1340, they had czech kingdom, moravian counts/dukes, and Poles gave up Silesia in exchange for Czech king giving up rights for Polish throne. (Which was probably bad idea, if stuff was kept together, Bohemia would evade Habsburg shenanigans (and forced Germanization) later. But Hungarians are to blame as well.)

1478 is still before main groups of gypsies going through Bohemia, thus we are talking about country that was genetically mostly stable, and aside of MASSIVE lawsuits in moravia, and typical complains on czech side, the country had just normal backstabbing politics. (Poland backstabbed, and unpopular rulers were running into Bavaria, from which they were scheming. Sometimes they were successful, sometimes don't. But that was politic in Czech countries between 815 to 1378. Yea, there was stuff like Vršovci killed Skavníkovci, and Lord/king when he found culprits executed Vršovci by his own hand, then he was blinded and imprisoned by Polish leader during his visit of Poland... Which caused returns of runts from theirs exile from Bavaria because better runts on throne than nobody. But aside of that it was remarkably calm period.) After that was GAVELKIND. Everyone who played CKII knows what disaster it can be.

After GRAVELKIND it was Václav (who did nothing), Zikmunt (the red fox), and PEOPLE WHO WERE PISSED ON THEIRS LEADERS WHO DIDN'T EVEN BOTHER TO FORCE AN APOLOGY FROM PEOPLE WHO BURNED ALIVE A PERSON WHO JUST WANTED TO TALK AND THOUGH HE WOULD HAVE A CHANCE TO JUSTIFY HIS VERSION OF OFFICIAL RELIGIUS BELIEFS WHICH THESE WHO BURNED HIM COULD EASILY PERMIT TO BE ALLOWED TO USE IN CZECH LANDS, AND CONSIDERING KNIGHTS OF THE TEMPLE WORKED HARD AND CREATED REASONABLE INNOVATION IN AGRICULTURE AND OTHER FIELDS LETS COPY THEM AND HAVE SOME ECONOMY, WHILE LEADERS OF CZECH COUNTRY DO COMPLETELY NOTHING ASIDE OF THEIRS POLITICAL BITCHERING.

And they defeated several crusades because they knew theirs leaders are cunts, and they wanted to prove it by not allowing Zikmund the red fox (aka cunt) to sit on throne of the country. Just like that. That was last time czechs were actually capable, lets remember that.

So, when I come to think of it, the nagging about the game being about "white people" becomes all the more absurd. Most of these idiots probably think Europe is a country, and are tripping over themselves to demonstrate to their buddies how sensitive they are to problems of discrimination, and how much they strive to "raise awereness".
Well the fact is the central europe of that time was white. That's as indisputable as Nigeria native population being black.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Did they speak English in Bohemia? Makes you think.
One of princesses was married in England. So at least one spoke English. But frankly last 15 years everyone seen simple fact. Either the game was written in English, or translation was utter nightmare and game needed to be rewritten into English by a native speaker.

Thus they simply learned the lesson and made game in English, rather than in old czech. (How well do you speak in olde English? Can you at least understand?)

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Aside of Slovakia, it's only country in the world that has that gene that's normally found only in Japan population. (And language has some Japanese loan words.)
QD40MJ7.png

Empire Come: Uncuckening

AwesomeButton

Patron
My argument is not that Europe was not white, which it obviously was. My argument is that there was huge ethnic diversity, which is ofcourse overlooked by unschooled and simple minded agitators and "outrage warriors". Also, that "diverse" does not simply mean "containing people with differing skin colors" - actually that's the single most racist assumption one could make.

Let's pretend for a moment that the game was set in Picardie and the Low Countries, during the HYW. Who in their right mind would say this region was not diverse? It's a classic case of applying modern day perceptions and rationale to a different age with which one isn't familiar.

The theme of Czech nationalism opposed to "Germans", Poles, etc. will be really interesting to analyze. How pronounced was this feeling among common people, or among the more well-off and more travelled townsfolk, among the nobility? What does historical evidence show?

Got bored and left

That's what happens when people apply Western/American racial politics, where people fall into neat racial-cultural categories like white, black, Latino, or whatever, to a region like Eastern Europe, which operates under a completely different set of rules. When people with that kind of perspective see a place populated by Poles, Czechs, Slovaks, Germans, Jews, Hungarians, Tatars, Romani, Lithuanians, Ruthenians, etc., etc., the product of ages upon ages of migration and settlement, they see people who are exactly the same (with the possible exception of Tatars, Romani, and the more orthodox Jews), even though all these groups could not be more different, culturally and linguistically. But the welding of race and culture that seems to be so prevalent in the West blinds people to such differences.

And because people believe that unless you have the racial make-up of a modern metropolis, you are not actually diverse, and because they tie a white skin colour to historically dominant and oppressive regimes, they feel at liberty to "correct" how others represent themselves, simply because they see their race as the primary determining factor of identity (and so, if you're a white Pole, all those whites in American films represent you! Because you're totally the same!). And so you get situations like KCD or The Witcher 3, games very deeply rooted in the cultures of historically peripheral peoples (I mean, when was the last time you heard a Polish/Czech song or read a book from there there? Yeah), where people from the cultural centre tell people from the periphery how they should be portraying themselves - it's essentially cultural colonialism dressed up in a righteous cause; the West wishes the entire world to look, think, and feel like itself, because it has decided that it is superior in all aspects. And it really pisses me off.

TL;DR: Feck off, 'Muricans.

Dexter

Arcane
Christian Piontek said:
Hello XXXXX,

Best regards,

Didn't you watch the Cast videos? They conceived the characters and story and picked the English actors with it in mind since that's likely the version 90% of the people will be playing, they even got their faces for the most part:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Didn't you watch the Cast videos? They conceived the characters and story and picked the English actors with it in mind since that's likely the version 90% of the people will be playing, they even got their faces for the most part:

Yes Dexter, yes I know :roll:

But for the third time - the entire writing team are Czechs. Do you think it's likely a bunch of natives wrote the entire game in perfect, fluent, professional English? My English is bretty gut but being able to write professionally (and in a very high quality as is the case of KCD) is a very different playing field.

It's hard fo me to believe any non-native English speaker is capable of producing this level of writing but apparently I'm wrong. Maybe our small nation has produced a few supertalents who are able to write in English on the highest professional level. :salute:

Doktor Best

Arcane

Yes Dexter, yes I know :roll:

But for the third time - the entire writing team are Czechs. Do you think it's likely a bunch of natives wrote the entire game in perfect, fluent, professional English? My English is bretty gut but being able to write professionally (and in a very high quality as is the case of KCD) is a very different playing field.

It's hard fo me to believe any non-native English speaker is capable of producing this level of writing but apparently I'm wrong. Maybe our small nation has produced a few supertalents who are able to write in English on the highest professional level. :salute:

I suppose studying language and writing would help alleviating that problem. We will see how the end result will speak for itself.

Smejki

Developer
Christian Piontek said:
Hello XXXXX,

Best regards,

I have no idea what Christian is trying to say. Seems like some confusion. Everything that should be voiced was written in Czech. Other texts are a mixed bag (although still I'd guess some 90% was Czech)

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
That's too bad about the English voices, I was planning to play this with Czech VO for the authenticity factor, and assumed there'd be Czech VO since it's made by Czechs. Kinda disappointing, but Brian Blessed makes up for it.

Smejki

Developer
Christian Piontek said:
Hello XXXXX,

Best regards,

I have no idea what Christian is trying to say. Seems like some confusion. Everything that should be voiced was written in Czech. Other texts are a mixed bag (although still I'd guess some 90% was Czech)
Ok, I've talked to Chris. I didn't notice the date of his original message agris has posted here. Yeah, Chris made a mistake there. A year ago.
For some reason he felt the urge to describe our development process which, true, is primarily done in English since about 10% or our company are foreigners (not counting Slovaks or foreigners who can speak Czech or Slovak). He didn't mean to say the design was written in part in English.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom