Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Kingdom Hearts all on Steam

Spike

Educated
Considering re-buying for the inevitable autistic mod scene (currently on EPIC)

Looking back, while KH was a hit, I have to say I feel the momentum was mismanaged, it had potential to become much more than just "a successful videogame".

scytheavatar

Scholar
Looking back, while KH was a hit, I have to say I feel the momentum was mismanaged, it had potential to become much more than just "a successful videogame".

KH1 had great writing, mediocre gameplay

KH2 had mediocre writing, great gameplay

If they were able to combine KH1's writing with KH2's gameplay, we would get the best JRPG ever. Alas KH3 had dogshit writing, mediocre gameplay.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter

If they were able to combine KH1's writing with KH2's gameplay, we would get the best JRPG ever. Alas KH3 had dogshit writing, mediocre gameplay.
So, stop playing at 2. Got it.

lightbane

Arcane
Wasn't there a recompilation of KH games for Steam already somewhere? Something like "the story until now", including the first game, the second game, the third, and videos of everything else.

Elttharion

Learned

KH1 had great writing

kaisergeddon

Liturgist
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Oh man I really missed out on 1.8+ Re; Initialize Dream Re:Coded being released as a PS4 exclusive remaster of the Japanese-only Vita edition, taking place between 1.2 TetraBe:hind Dreamality and the PS3 extra content cutscene remix of the GBA version of 3coded 358/2 Days ReBortion. Now I can find out what happened to the reincarnation of Xehanort 4 after he lost a game of Little Mermaid underwater ring race to turtle Goofy

Caim

Arcane
Kingdom Hearts 3 is the game that cements Donald Duck as the single most powerful magic user in all of the extended Final Fantasy universe.

b5a.png

This is the kind of bullshit you can pull with Teraflare, a spell that fucked up an entire continent in Final Fantasy XIV:

And Donald fires off something a billion times more powerful than that.

Cheesedragon117

Educated
Didn't someone in Bravely Default also cast Zettaflare?

Oh man I really missed out on 1.8+ Re; Initialize Dream Re:Coded being released as a PS4 exclusive remaster of the Japanese-only Vita edition, taking place between 1.2 TetraBe:hind Dreamality and the PS3 extra content cutscene remix of the GBA version of 3coded 358/2 Days ReBortion. Now I can find out what happened to the reincarnation of Xehanort 4 after he lost a game of Little Mermaid underwater ring race to turtle Goofy
You actually had me for about half of that. That's how fucked up this series is.

Caim

Arcane
Didn't someone in Bravely Default also cast Zettaflare?
That chick was borrowing powers from a multidimensional god of destruction, she didn't cast it on her own. Donald meanwhile just whips that shit out and only knocks himself out over it.

Also note that Goofy warns Donald against using it, meaning that Goofy had either seen the Zettaflare before, or he is versed enough in magical lore to know what was coming.

lightbane

Arcane
Kingdom Hearts 3 is the game that cements Donald Duck as the single most powerful magic user in all of the extended Final Fantasy universe.
And yet he can't heal for shit. When does he get so OP? I remember these two being useless in the first two games, outside of cutscenes.

Caim

Arcane
And yet he can't heal for shit. When does he get so OP? I remember these two being useless in the first two games, outside of cutscenes.
Donald can't heal for shit because he's not a white mage, because as it turns out he's actually a black mage with that kind of firepower.

b5a.png

This is the kind of bullshit you can pull with Teraflare, a spell that fucked up an entire continent in Final Fantasy XIV:

And Donald fires off something a billion times more powerful than that.

I've never played those games, but I know enough of them and their ridiculousness to realize it was made in the last few years where games were made with the expectation of them being fun. Just raw, pure fun. Have Donald Duck dropping ten thousand atom bombs, what the hell. The only regret we must feel is that Carl Barks died too early to produce KH-themed Donald art.

lightbane

Arcane
Donald can't heal for shit because he's not a white mage, because as it turns out he's actually a black mage with that kind of firepower.
I know, it's a joke I remember it was used back then, as he knows Heal but rarely uses it. By KH2 though, Donald's AI prioritizes healing Sora if he's at low HP.

*checks*

Damn, that must be all of Donald's rage focused on an hyperbeam to be THAT strong. And he does so without incantation, merely passing out.

When did FF become so over dramatic it makes KH look simple?

When did FF become so over dramatic it makes KH look simple?
Ironically it was post 7 stuff that made it all look so dramatic. 8 in particular. Now it's almost unrecognizable. Pretty much just any other AAA dark fantasy franchise. Ironically, looking back, 15 is starting to stand out as a wholesome story about friendship for the same reason.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom