Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kingsvein - new tactical RPG from Rad Codex set in subterranean world

Yosharian

Arcane
Alright so I found the
scarab
and kicked its ass, now im in this temple with buttons on the floor and what. I have no idea. I'm assuming that I need to come back later with some info or something? Cos I can't see any way to solve this

Also damn that Void Eye next to the chasm, how the heck can I create light in a chasm tile

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Alright so I found the
scarab
and kicked its ass, now im in this temple with buttons on the floor and what. I have no idea. I'm assuming that I need to come back later with some info or something? Cos I can't see any way to solve this

Also damn that Void Eye next to the chasm, how the heck can I create light in a chasm tile
There is a long range skill that can create light.

Modron

Arcane
What about the scarab puzzle?
Use your choice of pushing ability to move the nearby jars onto the outermost pressure plates, push the oil barrel onto the northernmost one, and then drape your party across the three in the middle. At least that is what I did. Might want to save in case you accidently break a pot/barrel.

Yosharian

Arcane
Well. This got interesting all of a sudden.

Game is a bit too easy now, I think I farmed the world map encounters a bit too much.

MerchantKing

Learned
I got the game and I've been enjoying it. I think I'm going to grind up everyone for a bit before I finish the game.

Yosharian

Arcane
I think the ability to grind out infinite XP kinda makes the game too easy

World map respawn should be tied to story progression rather than resting

Modron

Arcane
I think the ability to grind out infinite XP kinda makes the game too easy

World map respawn should be tied to story progression rather than resting
Show restraint or turn up the enemy ai and their stats as you progress.

Modron

Arcane
I mean I just don't think game difficulty should be on the player to show restraint but maybe it's just me
The power curve on any game with map encounters is only ever going to be that fine tuned if said game has level/stat/skill caps or terrible level scaling. I suppose you could go the way of Sawyer and just not give xp.
:whatisfun:

Yosharian

Arcane
If the encounter respawn was tied to triggers from story beats then there would be a finite amount of xp/loot in the game

You don't need caps or scaling

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
I think the system as designed already limits you. Grinding In this game is really only so effective, most abilities are frontloaded with all their power coming from stats and builds, extra levels providing range and such. Most classes can't even be maxed out without very heavy map grinding, and it's hard to see much benefit from that. You could grind heavily and gain +1-3 damage points over a casual run but that shouldn't be enough to tip the game from very hard to very easy.

The only real benefit of grinding is making your characters more versatile and getting more abilities to experiment with, which shouldn't necessarily trivialize any enounters.

Yosharian

Arcane
I think the system as designed already limits you. Grinding In this game is really only so effective, most abilities are frontloaded with all their power coming from stats and builds, extra levels providing range and such. Most classes can't even be maxed out without very heavy map grinding, and it's hard to see much benefit from that. You could grind heavily and gain +1-3 damage points over a casual run but that shouldn't be enough to tip the game from very hard to very easy.

The only real benefit of grinding is making your characters more versatile and getting more abilities to experiment with, which shouldn't necessarily trivialize any enounters.
Yes I was thinking the same thing last night, there is a limit to how strong you can get

Still, I think it's a significant advantage. I do understand the rationale though, it makes the game more forgiving if you pick a class you later decide you don't want to use.

MpuMngwana

Arbiter
As usual for Rad Codex game it's a sidegrade to previous titles rather than a straight improvement, but since the overall formula is very good I'm not complaining much. I think I liked the speed-based initiative system of the earlier games better then the "you go - enemy goes" system used here (especially since delayed abilities are useless except for crowd control), and your party being composed mostly of mineral people is a bit of a bummer. On the positive side of things it's finally a return to a single, highly interactive, interconnected location type of world design last seen in Voidspire, and it adds dedicated grinding locations which I feel benefits this type of game (you're more likely to experiment with character builds if you know you can patch things up if things don't end up working as you intended).

I probably ended up missing a large chunk of content, and probably even some exploration-related special items (for instance I couldn't reach the final boss area until I fully upgraded the Gatekeeper's teleport ability, and I feel like it's probable there is some other way to get there I failed to find). Maybe I'll do a more thorough run sometime in the future, since the mix of freeform exploration, FFT-style progression and turn-based combat remains as compelling as ever. I'm super glad to see what is in my eyes a return to form after Horizon's Gate failed to grab me when it came out.

MpuMngwana

Arbiter
Yeah, I expected it was something like that. The fact that you can miss such an important item and still use your abilities to navigate the map is yet another compliment for the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom