Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

Yosharian

Arcane
Thoughts on Monk?

Also which class is best as a grappler? Monk seems to have some benefits as a grappler but I'm not sure I like the idea of a STR monk, probably other classes are better at it

At the moment this is what I'm considering as a party:

1) Fighter - Damage dealer / tank
2) Cleric
3) Druid
4) Wizard
5) Psion
6) Barbarian - Grappler / tank

I could use some suggestions on domain powers for my cleric... Banishment and Disruption seem pretty good. Flux seems amazing for healing, also could be combined with the power that maximises Harm/Inflict spells.

I believe (half-giant) monk and psychic warrior (when buffed up) are what Pierre says are the best grapplers.

Asharazelle is pretty good for grappling the Spider Queen because of self buffs, if you add an enlarge to that, grappling chances are over the charts and you have enough time to pre-buff and get into position.

Other than that, I don't grapple much and even then, I usually try to go true sight to kill her without grappling instead.

Your party is a classic, works perfectly.

Almost every domain is good if you specialize your Cleric/Bishop accordingly.

I also wouldn't get a druid unless you're planning on not using NPCs, because the game throws a pretty good and hard to miss druid NPC at you really early.

It's a water druid, geomancers and aeromancers is where it's at.
You want to improve your best spells which are quicksand, earthquake (earth), sirocco and whirlwind (air).

Ah man I had no idea there were companions, are they good and worth using?

There's 7 companions as far as I know, my favorites being the Barbarian, The Warlock and the Storm Warrior.

There's a Barbarian, A Water Elemental Storm Warrior, A Water Druid, A Kobold Sorcerer, a Succubus Paladin, a Human Warlock and A Vrock Fighter (meatshield)
Who is Asharazelle?

I think I will use the half-giant barbarian companion since that's basically what I was going for with my grappler, unless you think that companion is bad?

What other companion would you recommend aside from the barbarian, if you don't recommend that Druid?

I could always have two druids I suppose, I am willing to sacrifice some optimization in favour of having good companions, my aim is for my party to be mostly Lawful Good if that helps

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Wait what. So I can use 6 custom characters and then add the half-giant barbarian and some other person ON TOP of that?

There's even one you can add on top of your 6 + 2 party, a special guest of sorts.

Who is Asharazelle?

I think I will use the half-giant barbarian companion since that's basically what I was going for with my grappler, unless you think that companion is bad?

What other companion would you recommend aside from the barbarian, if you don't recommend that Druid?

I could always have two druids I suppose, I am willing to sacrifice some optimization in favour of having good companions, my aim is for my party to be mostly Lawful Good if that helps

She's one of the companion, if you can afford to spend a lot of elemental gems to get her.
I don't think she's really worth it now with the 3 extra companions.

The Barbarian companion is just great.
Depends on your party, if you need more muscle, the Storm Warrior is just great and can cast quicksand as well.
Otherwise, Pizarra for extra nuking but you only get her in early chapter 3, so in the meantime, you could pick someone else.

If you don't have a druid, the water druid is fine, I guess, or the Storm warrior...

Choices...

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Oh wait, there's a monk in the Tavern, not sure if you can recruit him of if it's just a healing quest like with the water elemental gladiator.

Also, I'm starting over my ironman run with 1.31, I didn't lose but I want to try a rogue and maybe ditch the red Wizard.

Archmage except no gold cost and probably 1 feat per level or 1 every two level, I'm not sure.

Yosharian

Arcane
Who's Pizarra

Also who the fuck names their character Pizarra

Yeah a monk would be pretty neat, if they are built well?

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Asharazelle

Succubus Paladin

Pizarra

Warlock = mage + psionicist

I don't remember what's necessary to help the monk, maybe a cleric with healing domain but I'm not bringing one.
Did anyone helped the monk from the tavern, is he recruitable?

Yosharian

Arcane
Are there any consequences to having a very low INT score in the game?

Edit: I meant consequences OTHER THAN WHAT THE GAME STATES, obviously

Last edited:

TigerKnee

Arcane
The monk is indeed recruitable, I think his criteria was having a Phoenix Wizard - I can't remember if anything else gets him, but it's part of his subquest that he wants to see the Wizard transformation.

Yosharian

Arcane
The monk is indeed recruitable, I think his criteria was having a Phoenix Wizard - I can't remember if anything else gets him, but it's part of his subquest that he wants to see the Wizard transformation.
Are phoenix wizards good?

Edit: oh phoenix is red wizard, well I'll definitely get one of those then.

I think I am not going to bother with Fighter because they fall off lategame apparently, I will just use the monk + barbarian companions to support my party of 6 casters lmao

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
I found this on Steam forums, dunno if you guys agree with it:

SS: Psionicist

They're like Wizards, but can keep casting their best and latest "spells" (Powers) repeatedly without concern for spell slots, and most Powers scale can scale down for efficiency or scale up for greater effect. They don't have to worry about being Silenced, and they don't have to worry so much about being Grappled, Paralyzed, or Encased as they can keep casting. For area damage, they're unmatched overall and will probably outperform even a Red Wizard due to being able to spam Energy Ball nonstop while always choosing the best type of energy and the best defense to attack (Reflex vs Fort). Their control, debuffs, and save or suck Powers are just as good though.

S: Wizard, Cleric

Wizards get so many spells, so many unique spells, so many great buff/debuffs, and so many unique Feats that you probably want one in your group regardless of your group's strategy.

I don't usually rank Clerics so high in D&D/Pathfinder type games because high Initiative arcane offense is usually best. But in KotC2, there are lots of enemy casters and you probably can't prevent them all from casting, so the ability to prevent/remove bad things is more valuable. And there are improvements to Cleric spells like Sound Burst and Holy Smite that make them great on offense/debuffs too.

Wizard Attunements are all good so long as you make use of them in some way, but I think Green generally wins out for Move Action Haste. Similarly, while many Cleric Domains can be great so long as you make use of them, Mysticism would be my top pick for Move Action spells (and increased effect on them).

A+: Druid

They're efficient, versatile and they have nice summons. But they're ranked slightly lower than the other pure casters because they're missing too many good things: Accelerate, Break Enchantment, Mass Heal, True Rez, etc. Also, they're limited in small spaces where big area spells would hit the group and where large summons may not even fit. They do get several outdoor late game fights to shine in, though.

I'd put Earth above the other Spheres, but not by much. They're all good.

A: Fighter, Bard, Mage Knight, Rogue

Fighters get Wade In and tons of unique Feats, but fall off a bit in the late game.

Bard Songs are always useful and the +DC song scales particularly well into the late game because it becomes increasingly difficult to debuff enemy saves. Bard Spells can fill some gaps in your group, but Silence is probably going to be useful if nothing else.

Mage Knights can be extremely tanky, very good with Touch spells, and also very good with area damage. Consistently solid class all game.

I know ranking the Rogue here may be a little controversial, but mine are easily on par with Fighter kills in the early/early-mid game and effectively turn into casters for the late game because of the piles of high level Wizard scrolls the game gives you. The only time they struggle a little is in the mid game against certain enemies, but if you make good use of your Rogue spells and scrolls, they're still not bad. They're on par with Fighters (to me) because they tend to be tankier, more mobile, and do better in the late game.

A-: Psychic Healer, Sorcerer, Warlock

All these caster hybrids are weighed down by the fact that they're Multi-Ability Dependent. Add to that the loss of unique Psionicist/Wizard/Cleric Feats and slower spell/Power progression and you're almost always better off as a pure caster. They're still generally good by using half their spells/Powers for offense and half for defense/support.

B+: Monk, Psychic Warrior, Bishop

Monks are fine, but Fighters are usually better. That pretty much sums it up.

Psychic Warriors are great Grapplers and actually get some area damage later, too. But they're rather limited on Power Points and often can't justify taking time to cast slower buffs in combat. It's a fun class, but they're not as effective as many others.

Bishop is a mixed bag. The combinations of Domain Powers can make for unique/versatile characters, but usually you're just better off with a Cleric instead. They can be rather strong earlier in the game, but they're going to fall off compared to a Cleric later.

B: Barbarian, Death Knight, Storm Warrior, Champion

Considering how much the guide repeatedly focuses on Grappling, I'm surprised it ranks Barbarians last because they're great for it. The move speed bonus helps counter one of the biggest drawbacks of the best Grappling race. And Free Action Strength boost is always nice.

Death Knights are good when working with others, maybe Sneak Attacking a Grappled enemy or helping to debuff something with Aura of Dread. There are simply too many big groups of enemies for them to compete with slightly better classes though. Aura of Dread is the only thing keeping them from being in a lower tier.

Storm Warrior works better when they lean into their casting a bit more, but at that point... you should just be a Druid.

And Champion may as well be a Cleric/Bishop instead.

B-: Gladiator, Samurai

Gladiator is fine in the early game with the combat Feats, but they're too limited as time goes on. If Blinding Strike can't work or isn't useful in a particular light, they're just gimped Fighters.

Samurai are kind of like Gladiators: a good early game class that tends to fall off later.

C: Paladin, Ranger

You'll notice these are only C and not D or F because none of the classes are really bad in this game. These classes are just a little too niche to compete as well with the rest, though they can still be good in the right group.

I actually like Paladins in KotC2, but objectively, I have to acknowledge that they're not the strongest class. They get moments to shine here and there with Smite, but later they're probably better off just casting Cleric scrolls so your more useful party members can do more important things.

Rangers are nice interrupters and of course great at ranged combat. But ranged weapons are limited in this game, and you lose all your equipment at a certain point. Add to that limited ammo and early game Cover penalties and they're just more limited than others.

So what are your thoughts? For reference, the guidebook ranks them: Wizard, Psionicist, Cleric, Druid, Bishop, Fighter, Gladiator, Warlock, Psychic Healer, Sorcerer, Bard, Psychic Warrior, Monk, Death Knight, Paladin, Ranger, Samurai, Storm Warrior, Champion, Mage Knight, Rogue, and Barbarian.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Yosharian

Arcane
Information on companions from the KOTC2 guidebook apparently (SPOILER WARNING):

Recruitable Companions
Augury of Chaos has recruitable companions you can use. Although you can create
up to six characters to start with, later on your party size can increase to eight.
Note that you will always be able to recruit a new companion, even if you already have
eight party members. But then you will have to decide which characters should be
active or inactive, so that your party size does not exceed the maximum.
If you don’t want spoilers, skip this section. In case you want a bit of information, but
not too much, the information has been layered in the following order: Number of
companions, what class they are, what race they are, when can they be accessed, where
are they precisely found, who are they.
Now, as for the companions, there are eight of them. Five of them can be met during
the Prologue while the three others can be met afterwards. The last three companions
have more dialogue than the five first ones, so you may want to activate them when
you get them, possibly in replacement of companions recruited earlier.
The classes of the first five companions are Barbarian, Monk, Druid (Fire sphere),
Druid (Water sphere) and Storm Warrior.
The classes of the last three companions are Sorcerer (Phoenix attunement), Paladin,
and Warlock.
The races of the first five companions are Toughbone Half-Giant (Barbarian), Mul
Human (Monk), Fire Drake (Fire Druid), Stone Mantis (Water Druid), and Water Elemental (Storm Warrior).

The races of the last three companions are Kobold (Sorcerer), Succubus (Paladin), and
Moon Elf (Warlock).
You can get the first five companions from level 1.
You can get the Kobold at around level 4-6, depending on the order you do things.
You can get the Succubus at around level 9 at earliest, at around 10 in all likelihood.
You can get the Warlock at around level 10.
The Barbarian can be found inside the inn of the Golden Griffon in Finchbury. If you
want him to join your party, you will have to defeat him in single combat.
The Monk can be found inside the inn after the party has spent time resting. He will
only join you if your party already comprises a Wizard or Sorcerer with the Phoenix
attunement, a Cleric or Bishop with the Sun or Fire domain, or a Fire Druid.
The Fire Druid can be found in the Mysterious Cave right when you enter the area,
and you can get him after you’ve defeated his enemy, the Water Druid Zalapha.
The Water Druid can be found in the Mysterious Cave near the river of lava, and you
can get her after you’ve defeated her enemy, the Fire Druid Sardabbras.

The Storm Warrior is a friend of the Water Druid. You’ll get him when the Water
Druid joins you.
The Kobold is found at the Grey Goblin holding cell. His name is Erzimon. You need
to free him.
The Succubus has been turned into a stone statue by a coven of hideous hags. You’ll
need to restore her back to flesh to recruit her, which means either helping the crones,
or slaying them, or both.
The Warlock can be found at the beginning of Chapter 3, after the huge battle.
Jorad the Toughbone Half-Giant is Neutral Good. He’s enjoying drinks at the inn of
the Golden Griffon. Jorad has Strength 20 and Constitution 18, which are ideal ability
scores for a Barbarian. Of special interest is the weapon that he’s holding. It’s the
artifact Waraxe Bloodlust. Bloodlust has an expanded Critical Hit range of 19-20.
Xantrix the Mul is a Lawful Neutral Monk from Salamandora. Xantrix has Strength
20, Constitution 16 and Wisdom 18. Xantrix has a special power, a Sun Bolt
Spell-Like Ability that can be used two times per day. This power benefits from the
character’s Zen Archery feat.
If any character in your party completes the Elemental Transformation ritual later on,
talk to Xantrix afterwards. His Sun Bolt will improve from a standard-action ability to
a move-action ability and the number of uses per day will increase from two to three.
In addition, Xantrix will receive a +5 increase in maximum Hit Points. Each party
member will receive 100 Experience Points.

Sardabbras is a Neutral Evil Fire Drake Druid. He has been planning to summon an
army of Fire Elementals from the lava rift underneath the village of Finchbury. His
plan has failed to come to fruition because of the intervention of a Water Druid.
Sardabbras has Strength 20, Constitution 18 and Wisdom 13. He worships the elemental sphere of Fire. As a Fire Drake, he has a Cone of Fire Breath Weapon. Even
though Sardabbras is a Druid, he’s a competent melee warrior thanks to his extremely
high Strength.
Zalapha is a Stone Mantis Water Druid currently watching over the lava rift for any
sign of invasion by Fire creatures during the Full Moon phase of Phoenix. She is
Neutral Good and she has Strength 14, Dexterity 20 and Wisdom 18. The high
Wisdom score and the Water Sphere will make Zalapha a powerful healer at higher
levels. As a Stone Mantis, Zalapha has a +4 Natural Armour bonus to Armour Class.
Driaghan the Water Elemental Storm Warrior is True Neutral. He is the loyal companion of Zalapha. Driaghan has Strength 17 and Wisdom 19. As a Water Elemental,
Driaghan has the subtypes Water, Extraplanar, Stable and Snake. The Water subtype
makes Driaghan an excellent warrior in environments requiring the party to swim or
fight underwater.
He is also immune to stunning, sleep, paralysis, hampering, flanking, disease, critical
hits, ability damage, and ability drain. However, he has a Fire Damage Vulnerability,
meaning that all Fire Damage received by him is increased by 50%.
Finally, Driaghan has a +6 Natural Armour bonus to Armour Class and he can
activate a Daze Monster spell-like ability as a move action three times per day.

Erzimon the Kobold Sorcerer is a Lawful Good hero who has been imprisoned by the
Grey Goblins. He’s a Red Wizard, thus he will get the Phoenix moon Elemental Transformation at level 15. His highest ability score is Intelligence, thus his sorcery is
focused on wizardly magic, and his clerical magic is meant for supporting.
Asharzaelle the Succubus Paladin is likewise Lawful Good, but has been turned to
stone by crones. She has a racial Succubus Hit Dice, which makes her somewhat lesser
as a Paladin spell-wise, but she has natural access to the spells Enervation and
Dominate Person.
Her Charisma is extremely high, making her very powerful at Smite Evil. She has the
ability to fly, meaning she is unaffected by ground-type terrain spells like Web.
Pizarra the elf Warlock is True Neutral. She works for the main evil guy until you
defeat her in combat. Should you give her mercy, she will join your group (don’t worry,
she won’t betray you).
She has an extremely high Intelligence and Charisma, which makes her a superb
Wizard and she’ll have a decent amount of Power Points. Her Wisdom isn’t bad either,
so she’s good at Psionics. She has the Arcane Transmutation feat, allowing her to
change the element of her Arcane damage spells

Yosharian

Arcane
I feel bad saying this but KOTC2's music is kind of annoying. I find myself wondering if there is a way to create custom music for the game.

Yosharian

Arcane
Erzimon the Kobold Sorcerer is a Lawful Good hero who has been imprisoned by the
Grey Goblins. He’s a Red Wizard, thus he will get the Phoenix moon Elemental Transformation at level 15. His highest ability score is Intelligence, thus his sorcery is
focused on wizardly magic, and his clerical magic is meant for supporting.

:love:

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

requirement for Monk is any fire related stuff, it can be Phoenix Wizard or it can be fire sphere druid. You can in fact recruit him with the fire druid companion from the spider cave. It's pretty much Fire Druid + Monk or Water Druid + Storm Warrior

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Are there any consequences to having a very low INT score in the game?

Lower Will saves (INT + WIS modifier), your 6 INT mage/psion will suck really hard.

Are phoenix wizards good?

They are, depending on your playstyle, if you want to nuke tour way through the game, they're the best at it with Psionicists but harder enemies require mages specialized in other magic schools or rely on luck.

I found this on Steam forums, dunno if you guys agree with it:

SS: Psionicist

They're like Wizards, but can keep casting their best and latest "spells" (Powers) repeatedly without concern for spell slots, and most Powers scale can scale down for efficiency or scale up for greater effect. They don't have to worry about being Silenced, and they don't have to worry so much about being Grappled, Paralyzed, or Encased as they can keep casting. For area damage, they're unmatched overall and will probably outperform even a Red Wizard due to being able to spam Energy Ball nonstop while always choosing the best type of energy and the best defense to attack (Reflex vs Fort). Their control, debuffs, and save or suck Powers are just as good though.

S: Wizard, Cleric

Wizards get so many spells, so many unique spells, so many great buff/debuffs, and so many unique Feats that you probably want one in your group regardless of your group's strategy.

I don't usually rank Clerics so high in D&D/Pathfinder type games because high Initiative arcane offense is usually best. But in KotC2, there are lots of enemy casters and you probably can't prevent them all from casting, so the ability to prevent/remove bad things is more valuable. And there are improvements to Cleric spells like Sound Burst and Holy Smite that make them great on offense/debuffs too.

Wizard Attunements are all good so long as you make use of them in some way, but I think Green generally wins out for Move Action Haste. Similarly, while many Cleric Domains can be great so long as you make use of them, Mysticism would be my top pick for Move Action spells (and increased effect on them).

A+: Druid

They're efficient, versatile and they have nice summons. But they're ranked slightly lower than the other pure casters because they're missing too many good things: Accelerate, Break Enchantment, Mass Heal, True Rez, etc. Also, they're limited in small spaces where big area spells would hit the group and where large summons may not even fit. They do get several outdoor late game fights to shine in, though.

I'd put Earth above the other Spheres, but not by much. They're all good.

A: Fighter, Bard, Mage Knight, Rogue

Fighters get Wade In and tons of unique Feats, but fall off a bit in the late game.

Bard Songs are always useful and the +DC song scales particularly well into the late game because it becomes increasingly difficult to debuff enemy saves. Bard Spells can fill some gaps in your group, but Silence is probably going to be useful if nothing else.

Mage Knights can be extremely tanky, very good with Touch spells, and also very good with area damage. Consistently solid class all game.

I know ranking the Rogue here may be a little controversial, but mine are easily on par with Fighter kills in the early/early-mid game and effectively turn into casters for the late game because of the piles of high level Wizard scrolls the game gives you. The only time they struggle a little is in the mid game against certain enemies, but if you make good use of your Rogue spells and scrolls, they're still not bad. They're on par with Fighters (to me) because they tend to be tankier, more mobile, and do better in the late game.

A-: Psychic Healer, Sorcerer, Warlock

All these caster hybrids are weighed down by the fact that they're Multi-Ability Dependent. Add to that the loss of unique Psionicist/Wizard/Cleric Feats and slower spell/Power progression and you're almost always better off as a pure caster. They're still generally good by using half their spells/Powers for offense and half for defense/support.

B+: Monk, Psychic Warrior, Bishop

Monks are fine, but Fighters are usually better. That pretty much sums it up.

Psychic Warriors are great Grapplers and actually get some area damage later, too. But they're rather limited on Power Points and often can't justify taking time to cast slower buffs in combat. It's a fun class, but they're not as effective as many others.

Bishop is a mixed bag. The combinations of Domain Powers can make for unique/versatile characters, but usually you're just better off with a Cleric instead. They can be rather strong earlier in the game, but they're going to fall off compared to a Cleric later.

B: Barbarian, Death Knight, Storm Warrior, Champion

Considering how much the guide repeatedly focuses on Grappling, I'm surprised it ranks Barbarians last because they're great for it. The move speed bonus helps counter one of the biggest drawbacks of the best Grappling race. And Free Action Strength boost is always nice.

Death Knights are good when working with others, maybe Sneak Attacking a Grappled enemy or helping to debuff something with Aura of Dread. There are simply too many big groups of enemies for them to compete with slightly better classes though. Aura of Dread is the only thing keeping them from being in a lower tier.

Storm Warrior works better when they lean into their casting a bit more, but at that point... you should just be a Druid.

And Champion may as well be a Cleric/Bishop instead.

B-: Gladiator, Samurai

Gladiator is fine in the early game with the combat Feats, but they're too limited as time goes on. If Blinding Strike can't work or isn't useful in a particular light, they're just gimped Fighters.

Samurai are kind of like Gladiators: a good early game class that tends to fall off later.

C: Paladin, Ranger

You'll notice these are only C and not D or F because none of the classes are really bad in this game. These classes are just a little too niche to compete as well with the rest, though they can still be good in the right group.

I actually like Paladins in KotC2, but objectively, I have to acknowledge that they're not the strongest class. They get moments to shine here and there with Smite, but later they're probably better off just casting Cleric scrolls so your more useful party members can do more important things.

Rangers are nice interrupters and of course great at ranged combat. But ranged weapons are limited in this game, and you lose all your equipment at a certain point. Add to that limited ammo and early game Cover penalties and they're just more limited than others.

So what are your thoughts? For reference, the guidebook ranks them: Wizard, Psionicist, Cleric, Druid, Bishop, Fighter, Gladiator, Warlock, Psychic Healer, Sorcerer, Bard, Psychic Warrior, Monk, Death Knight, Paladin, Ranger, Samurai, Storm Warrior, Champion, Mage Knight, Rogue, and Barbarian.

Paladin and Ranger being subpar, I'd agree, Ranger last, sure, Paladin mostly because his features are bugged, or maybe it was fixed, I don't know.
Anyway, I think the DK is way way better than the Paladin because in this game, you want to strike first and strike hard and the DK Aura of Dread will help you do just that while Paladin's defensive skills will not do much against RNG and bad luck, there's so many enemies his defensive AOE probably doesn't matter.

Other than this, the list is garbage.
Also, it depends, some characters will carry you through 3/4 of the game, like a good fighter.
Other martial classes require specific builds and steamtards can't really grasp the complexity behind a Samuraï build or simply to give a pounce belt to your gladiator to make him an absolute beast...

Last but not least, some classes can be extremely fun to play for someone and not at all for someone else.
And some classes are nice to play on a second playthrough, to try something different.

Yosharian

Arcane
Ah I see. Ok maybe I will keep my Fighter then. What do you think about Bard? My new group is this:

2) Cleric
- Domains: Mysticism, Silence
- Moon Elf?
3) Druid
- Geomancer/Aeromancer
4) Wizard
- Phoenix (Red)?
5) Psion
6) Bard?
7) Barbarian - Grappler / tank (COMPANION)
8) Warlock - Nuker (COMPANION

I am unsure what to take on my 6th custom character slot, perhaps a Bard?

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Ah I see. Ok maybe I will keep my Fighter then. What do you think about Bard? My new group is this:

2) Cleric
- Domains: Mysticism, Silence
- Moon Elf?
3) Druid
- Geomancer/Aeromancer
4) Wizard
- Phoenix (Red)?
5) Psion
6) Bard?
7) Barbarian - Grappler / tank (COMPANION)
8) Warlock - Nuker (COMPANION

I am unsure what to take on my 6th custom character slot, perhaps a Bard?
If you go with less than 1feat/level as difficulty setting then i'd consider mostly humans - except for fighters. On the other hand there are some use of the skills of some races and it is good to avoid a surprise round and feels nice to get some small bonus occasionally but it's mostly some xp. From my experience class skills give more important "green" dialogue options.
About that, you will need a Samurai, Paladin or Champion to recruit Jorad the H-G Barbarian you meet 5 minutes into the game if you play on Archmage difficulty AFAIK. Sorry.

Edit: Just go with what you feel like as long as you don't forget at least one Wizard + one Psionicist (or two Wizards).

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
If you go with less than 1feat/level as difficulty setting then i'd consider mostly humans - except for fighters. On the other hand there are some use of the skills of some races and it is good to avoid a surprise round and feels nice to get some small bonus occasionally but it's mostly some xp. From my experience class skills give more important "green" dialogue options.
About that, you will need a Samurai, Paladin or Champion to recruit Jorad the H-G Barbarian you meet 5 minutes into the game if you play on Archmage difficulty AFAIK. Sorry.

Edit: Just go with what you feel like as long as you don't forget at least one Wizard + one Psionicist (or two Wizards).
I don't really mind going with a variety of races for flavour rather than picking human because it is the most powerful, we'll see.

I'm not going to be playing on Archmage I don't think. The guidebook says you only need to defeat Jorad in a fight to recruit him? Are you saying that's wrong?

Yosharian

Arcane
As for the list above, I disagree with some of it, but mostly the samurai placement. I'm not really sure how you can screw up turning the samurai into an absolute death machine. You open up the class description and all you can see right away is - this is the perfect falchion vehicle. With a reasonably enhcanted falchion, my samurai was doing x4 crits on a roll of 13-20. I'm pretty sure you can push that to at least x5 and squeeze out even more damage, but I just didn't feel the need for it. With a wisdom hat and a pounce belt, he would just run in, crit for 150+ a bunch of times and either clear out a pack of enemies, or outright delete some boss. Seeing how Pierre isn't a total dick to make most of his enemies crit immune, and the toughtest enemies have around 500 hp, nothing could withstand a proper nippon banzai.
What difficulty was that?

I just don't know that the things a Samurai gets really compares to the absolute shitload of feats the Fighter gets, and also the unique Fighter-only feats it gets.

Sure, the Sam gets some nice abilities, and then the Fighter gets most of those abilities anyway as feats, and then some. And the unique selling point, the crit boost, is only a difference of +1 point compared to what the Fighter can achieve. And he can do it while wielding two weapons, or using a shield, or whatever. Or using a weapon that isn't a sword.

Last edited:

whocares

Savant
I will not eat the bugs. I will not live in a pod. I will not use 2FA.

Last edited:

Fireblade

Erudite
It's pretty much Fire Druid + Monk or Water Druid + Storm Warrior
Don't know about that. Having a red phoenix wizard is enough to recruit the Monk, and a red phoenix wizard will probably be one of the most popular things to have in a party to begin with.

Yosharian

Arcane
You shouldn't underestimate samurai's armor handling. Saves are really nice to have in this game, and speed, even more so. The ability to run across the battlefield without penalties in a suit of heavy armor is really strong. The extra damage you get from single weapon bonus and wisdom really adds up, and lowering enemy AC by one with every swing - how can you say no to that.
Fighter gets tons of damage bonuses that aren't conditional on wielding specific weapons. -1 to AC, yeah I guess that's neat. Armoured Reflex - the fighter can pick up these feats. Speed bonus, yeah that's definitely a big plus.

Does the Samurai's DR stack with Adamantine DR?

I'm planning on wielding two massive fuckoff weapons in each hand on my fighter, so that Haste gives him two extra attacks. Somehow I think that will be more effective than the Sam's bonus damage

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom