Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

whocares

Savant
I will not eat the bugs. I will not live in a pod. I will not use 2FA.

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
I'm surprised that Pierre doesn't seem to have given Dwarf the ability to be unaffected by armor speed penalties, this seems to make Dwarf rather a bad race

Yosharian

Arcane
Now, I'm not saying fighters suck. Fighters are great. But after playing with fighters and barbarians for 20 years, I wanted to give the new unique classes a shot. And samurai ended up being really strong and capable of tackling everything the game throws at you. And some things (crits and getting to the targets of those crits while wearing heavy armor), it even does better than the old reliable.
Alright that's fair, I must admit Sam has some really nice flavour to it.

Personally I'm interested in that Psy Warrior class, I think I will leave it for a second playthrough though

Yosharian

Arcane
Initially I thought Elf would be godlike based on its bonuses and stuff but the minimums for some of the ability scores such as CHA and INT really hurt it, I wanted to make an Elf fighter but damn me if I'm putting 16 points into INT on a straight Fighter

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Initially I thought Elf would be godlike based on its bonuses and stuff but the minimums for some of the ability scores such as CHA and INT really hurt it, I wanted to make an Elf fighter but damn me if I'm putting 16 points into INT on a straight Fighter
You are correct. Elf are only really good with classes that need INT. They make good wizards and psionicist, perhaps something that requires all 3 mental stats to be high (warlocks come to mind) but as melee or casters than don't require INT (despite their high WIS/CHA? Avoid.

I don't really mind going with a variety of races for flavour rather than picking human because it is the most powerful, we'll see.

I'm not going to be playing on Archmage I don't think. The guidebook says you only need to defeat Jorad in a fight to recruit him? Are you saying that's wrong?
The variety is being rewarded somewhat in the game with the "green" dialogue options - if you ever played FTL this looks the same. That is a plus.
Humans are simply good from min-maxing perspective. If you play with 1feat/3level (or fighter) then two additional feats at level 1 are huge. Add that human's stats can be at least good for everything and you have a winner. With more feats /level they loose some of the edge but are still good. Most other races' advantages are relatively small. Exceptions are Half-Giants(size), Mantis(4"hands") if you can leverage it, Centaur speed... but other than that it is mostly different stats and humans are good at it.
I'm a little mad at Pierre's treatment of my favourite Dwarfs. They don't excel at anything. The speed for wearing armour not being penalised would be a move towards "fixing" them. Or add some additional defences, he changed the races and classes already.

Not from my experience with Jorad. To be able fight him requires, AFAIK, "word of honour" class skill that very few of the classes posses. Easy to check, he literally is found less than a minute from the game start - if you skip a fight.

Yosharian

Arcane
Not from my experience with Jorad. To be able fight him requires, AFAIK, "word of honour" class skill that very few of the classes posses. Easy to check, he literally is found less than a minute from the game start - if you skip a fight.
Well shit.

But apparently you get an extra skill on Hard difficulty so I can get it that way?

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Well shit.

But apparently you get an extra skill on Hard difficulty so I can get it that way?

The only classes with Word of Honour is Samurai or Paladin. If you don't have either you can't recruit the giant.

The Druid on Spider Cave is much easier as it only needs you to side with fire/water druid.

plem

Learned
I feel bad saying this but KOTC2's music is kind of annoying. I find myself wondering if there is a way to create custom music for the game.

you can turn off the combat and dialogue music, which are the truly ear-bleeding guitar tracks. the rest of the music is fine imo but you can always just turn off the music and put something in the background.

Ok apparently Bards are just weird martials in this game? wtf

bards are a weird in-between of martials, rogues and casters. they get enough feats and weapon proficiencies to be useful in combat but not enough to come close to a real martial. their songs are really useful though, not only the ones that buff but the offensive ones as well. pipes of pain and heavenly song are as good as some control spells, and arcane rhyme is great for magic-centric parties.

I was generally underwhelmed by my Cleric, since in early-mid game, it's almost always better to do damage or disable enemies instead of heal or buff your party, and other casters do a better job of that than clerics.

when in doubt, pop a summon. in early game with augment summoning the cleric's elementals are probably out-dpsing your PCs. of course, all casters (except psionics) can summon as well, but more's the merrier.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Well shit.

Yes. On hard Cleric should get word of honour so you should be ok.[

Well shit.

The only classes with Word of Honour is Samurai or Paladin. If you don't have either you can't recruit the giant.

The Druid on Spider Cave is much easier as it only needs you to side with fire/water druid.
There are 3 classes on very hard (thrid is afaik champion, might be wrong abou that) and on easier difficulty - see above.

Yosharian

Arcane
Well shit.

Yes. On hard Cleric should get word of honour so you should be ok.[

Well shit.

There are 3 classes on very hard (thrid is afaik champion, might be wrong abou that) and on easier difficulty - see above.
If I get that skill with my Cleric, is the Cleric the one who has to fight him? Because... my Cleric is not going to be good in melee combat lol

Yosharian

Arcane
I feel bad saying this but KOTC2's music is kind of annoying. I find myself wondering if there is a way to create custom music for the game.

you can turn off the combat and dialogue music, which are the truly ear-bleeding guitar tracks. the rest of the music is fine imo but you can always just turn off the music and put something in the background.

bards are a weird in-between of martials, rogues and casters. they get enough feats and weapon proficiencies to be useful in combat but not enough to come close to a real martial. their songs are really useful though, not only the ones that buff but the offensive ones as well. pipes of pain and heavenly song are as good as some control spells, and arcane rhyme is great for magic-centric parties.

I was generally underwhelmed by my Cleric, since in early-mid game, it's almost always better to do damage or disable enemies instead of heal or buff your party, and other casters do a better job of that than clerics.

when in doubt, pop a summon. in early game with augment summoning the cleric's elementals are probably out-dpsing your PCs. of course, all casters (except psionics) can summon as well, but more's the merrier.
Thanks I will try messing with the music settings.

I decided to make my Bard an archer when she's not doing other things, might as well put that full BAB to use. Although... if she only has 9 STR, will that make her a shitty archer?

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I only took 1 companion with me because I wanted more XP. I went with the Druid called Sabbarababa or something, he is pretty badass. He's like wizard + cleric + a breath spell which is really good.

Fireblade

Erudite
Well shit.

On Archmage difficulty, Word of Honour is just Paladin, Samurai, Champion. On any lower difficulty, Cleric, Druid, and Monk get it too, so getting Jorad should never be an issue on those difficulties.

Dunno, but I don't remember having to fight him with the person who actually had the skill...

Serus

Arcane
Patron

Thanks I will try messing with the music settings.

I decided to make my Bard an archer when she's not doing other things, might as well put that full BAB to use. Although... if she only has 9 STR, will that make her a shitty archer?
She won't make any damage. Archers are meh in general, often to little space, other characters block the shot. I made my cleric an archer with hunting domain he gets all feats he needs (except rapid shot) but i don't really recommend it. There is a "Zen Archery" feat though, WIS replaces DEX as the stat to give the attack bonus. Included in Hunting domain. Nice for a cleric archer, i would say, and affects ranged touch spells too.

As to earlier question. No, you choose who fights with Jorad yourself.

Yosharian

Arcane
So this is what I got, finally:

1) Fighter - Damage Dealer / Tank
- Northerner Human, Lawful Good
- STR 20, DEX 13, CON 18, INT 10, WIS 08, CHA 08
- Proficiencies: Two-Handed Swords, One-Handed Swords, Maces, Axes, Hammers
- Feats: Blindfight, Cleave, Shake It Off I, Attack Focus, Iron Will

2) Cleric - Support Caster
- Lightfoot Halfling, Lawful Good
- STR 09, DEX 16, CON 12, INT 10, WIS 20, CHA 16
- Domains: Mysticism, Celerity

3) Geomancer Druid - Offensive Caster
- Moon Elf, Neutral Good
- STR 09, DEX 12, CON 12, INT 16, WIS 20, CHA 12

4) Red Wizard - Offensive Caster
- Stygian Human, Lawful Neutral
- STR 09, DEX 12, CON 16, INT 20, WIS 12, CHA 08

5) Psion - Offensive Caster
- Stygian Human, Neutral Good
- STR 10, DEX 12, CON 18, INT 20, WIS 10, CHA 07

6) Bard - Support 'Caster'
- Grey Elf, Chaotic Good
- STR 09, DEX 14, CON 12, INT 16, WIS 08, CHA 20

7) Barbarian - Grappler / Tank (COMPANION)

8) Warlock - Offensive Caster (COMPANION)

I guess it'll be good enough for Enchanter difficulty

Last edited:

Serus

Arcane
Patron
So this is what I got, finally:

1) Fighter - Damage Dealer / Tank
- Northerner Human, Lawful Good
- STR 20, DEX 13, CON 18, INT 10, WIS 08, CHA 08
- Proficiencies: Two-Handed Swords, One-Handed Swords, Maces, Axes, Hammers
- Feats: Blindfight, Cleave, Shake It Off I, Attack Focus, Iron Will

2) Cleric - Support Caster
- Lightfoot Halfling, Lawful Good
- STR 09, DEX 16, CON 12, INT 10, WIS 20, CHA 16
- Domains: Mysticism, Celerity

3) Geomancer Druid - Offensive Caster
- Moon Elf, Neutral Good
- STR 09, DEX 12, CON 12, INT 16, WIS 20, CHA 12

4) Red Wizard - Offensive Caster
- Stygian Human, Lawful Neutral
- STR 09, DEX 12, CON 16, INT 20, WIS 12, CHA 08

5) Psion - Offensive Caster
- Stygian Human, Neutral Good
- STR 10, DEX 12, CON 18, INT 20, WIS 10, CHA 07

6) Bard - Support 'Caster'
- Grey Elf, Chaotic Good
- STR 09, DEX 14, CON 12, INT 16, WIS 08, CHA 20

7) Barbarian - Grappler / Tank (COMPANION)

8) Warlock - Offensive Caster (COMPANION)

I guess it'll be good enough for Enchanter difficulty
If you want some advice, get max dex on the casters, initiative is king.

Version 1.31 got uploaded to the site. He skipped v.1.30. Whatever.
There is/was a 1.30 version, on GOG for sure and probably Steam as well.

Yosharian

Arcane
This is typical Pierre, this fucking Drow cunt is almost impossible to hit even with my 20 STR Fighter who has Blindfight lmaoo. He has only a 35% chance to hit when charging or some shit. Fucking insane.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom